• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tramadol gave me pssd.

I have seen a doctor and there is no explanation for my symptoms. I took the tramadol for three days on may 30. So this was almost 4 months ago. I've endured 4 months of pure hell. I must just have incredibly bad luck. There are people on online forums who claim to have PSSD from a single dose or a few doses of antidepressants. Tramadol is an SNRI and these can cause PSSD as well. There is a guy in Britain who used tramadol for 7 months and lost his ability to feel the euphoric effects of alcohol and also has sexual dysfunction, so it is possible from tramadol but it just must be extremely rare.
Yeah, I don't doubt Tramadol is a fickle drug. A lot of people get odd side-effects from it. Maybe try another doctor if the first one didn't provide sufficient help? That's a long time to struggle from just a few days use. Were you mixing it with something else? I'm not trying to discredit you or anything.

I hope you manage to find some help.

I was on zoloft for all of my adolescence and got off it cold turkey at 19, because I didn’t know any better at the time. It was only later that I read about the horrific withdrawals that I understand why I had such a hard time so long ago. I missed out on a lot of pussy, but also STD’s and babies. I wasn’t interested in anything that I use to love to do. Just forever bla. It was not permanent, there is nothing irreversible with SSRI’s which is why they were considered safer than MAOI drugs, and SSRI drugs didn’t require a special diet.

🧙‍♂️
I know that PSSD is real and so does the medical community of Europe now. I know that people have been suffering for a very long time, many of them decades, from antidepressant use (not just SSRIs) and some of them claim to have only used the antidepressants for a very short amount of time or just from one dose. Finasteride and accutane apparently cause a very similar, seemingly permanent condition. I know this because I have talked to these people and it would be absurd to say that every single one of them is a liar. If people see this post and do some research they also will find these same people I am talking about and will most likely understand that this is a real possibilty after using antidepressants. I would say that for most people this would be ample evidence that pssd is real and can occur after a very short time using antidepressants.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't doubt Tramadol is a fickle drug. A lot of people get odd side-effects from it. Maybe try another doctor if the first one didn't provide sufficient help? That's a long time to struggle from just a few days use. Were you mixing it with something else? I'm not trying to discredit you or anything.

I hope you manage to find some help.
I drank alcohol a few hours before starting to take the tramadol. That is it. Pssd is the best explanation for the symptoms I am experiencing

Not true, please provide evidence. Please stop fear mongering here. That’s your last warning. I’ve been very reasonable so far. What you are claiming simply isn’t true, and you have no evidence to keep stating that as a fact.
All I am saying is that a number of people online claim to have gotten it from one dose. It is true that people CLAIM to have gotten it from one dose. That is all.

All I am saying is that a number of people online claim to have gotten it from one dose. It is true that people CLAIM to have gotten it from one dose. That is all.
A scary number of people claim ingesting toxic quantities of bitter almonds can cure cancer on the internet, and they genuinely believe that, doesn't make it right or scientific. It's easier to convince yourself of an explanation and have blinders to all the things that suggest it's not correct, rather than living with an unknown. Like you said PSSD is mostly diagnosed by eliminating other possibilities, get full blood panels done and as many medical opinions as possible before you settle for self diagnosed long lasting brain damage.

That’s fine. People claim all sorts of shit on the internet, it doesn’t make it so, especially having to do with commonly prescribed pharmaceuticals like tramadol and SSRI drugs. It’s ok to state your opinions, but don’t say that tramadol causes permanent brain damage, because you heard it on a messaging board, and absolutely don’t warn others to never take them because they can cause brain damage. They do not, that is fear mongering based off your opinion and not evidence. That’s not Ok here. Do you understand me?
What if I told you that Dr. David Healy has confirmed that PSSD can occur after only one dose of antidepressant? I also emailed him and he told me after I described my symptoms to him that I do have pssd from my tramadol use.

It sounds like you are having a hard time admitting your mom has an addiction,(“the fact or condition of being addicted to a particular substance, thing, or activity. ) if she’s currently on a medication and she physically needs it she has an addiction to that medication, she doesn’t need to abuse a drug to be addicted to it, the word addiction makes people defensive about themselves and their loved ones but if you remove personal feelings you’ll realize ” an addiction is an addiction “ whether it’s an approved medication or not. I’m done here.
Lol no, my mum is not addicted. She has dementia, epilepsy following a stroke 10 years ago etc. She has no idea about drugs at all. She doesn/t even know tramadol causes tolerance or what it is. You don't know her but she is not addicted, no. And you didn't understand a thing I have explained. You're very wrong, sorry. If she was I would say so. Got no problems admitting I am an addict instead. She takes 25 mg of tramadol 4 times a day to control rheumatoid arthritis pain. She even likes NSAIDs more for the pain as they work faster.

Addiction includes abuse and simple physical tolerance isn't addiction. I mean, just go and read the definition. There are people who take opioids and could stop them without missing them. An addict can't stop doing the drug no matter what. You don't seem to grasp the difference.

Quoting:
tolerance is a physical effect of repeated use of a drug. Tolerance does not always equal addiction. Withdrawal: Symptoms a person experiences when not using a substance, due to the body reacting to no longer having the substance.

Do you get it that you can be tolerant and suffer withdrawal if you stop opioids suddenly without being addicted to them? Physical dependence is just a natural consequence of taking something that causes tolerance. Has no link to your mental attitude towards the drug and your mental attitude towards the drug is what defines you as an addict or not.
Addicts will only think about doing the drug and use it compulsively for reasons that aren't only linked to pain relief. If you are not addicted you can taper and quit without problems or withdrawal.
Addicts cannot do this.

Quote:
How well a person’s body tolerates drugs is highly individual and depends on many factors. You may know someone who becomes too sleepy to function even after a normal dose of over-the-counter allergy medications. On the other hand, you may know someone for whom normal dosages of certain drugs (including prescription painkillers) simply do not work.

A person’s level of drug tolerance is related to their susceptibility to addiction, but the link is not as direct as many people think. People can become tolerant to drugs without being addicted to them. By the same token, people can be addicted to drugs to which they have not developed a tolerance. Here’s what you should know about drug tolerance and drug addiction.

Any link talking about this will tell you what I have just told you. You are simply wrong and your ideas about addiction display ignorance.

Last edited:
I got PSSD from venlafaxine and fluoxetine (to which I switched to be able to quit as venla withdrawal is brutal). The fluoxetine has a 2 week long half life which means it titrates itself out. After that period I began to become sexually hypersensitive and would wake up from dreams with a boner and sometimes even ejaculation which wasn't as fun as it might sound by far. This resolved eventually but even now 5-7 weeks off any antidepressant things continue and don't improve anymore. How long does it usually take to recover from PSSD? I don't want to go on a SSRI again as they lost all benefits over time and I feel now off SSRI similar to before while on, so it makes no sense to continue but I don't see any other possibility for my sexual performance to become normal again. I know there is some obscure short-acting SSRI around which is used for premature ejaculation but it's not available here where I live.