Today I Am Thankful For... Ver. 4 Infinite Chances in an Amazing World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I am thankful for living in a house, thus I can turn up the subwooofer.... chuuuuunes!! %)

Thankful for being free/through the withdrawals of one of my bp meds that was causing me funky side-effects.

Today I'm quite thankful that my cats are doing just fine since being out of town for a week. They haven't been without me (for any significant amount of time) since nearly the day they were born, and I was quite worried about leaving them. I mean... why wouldn't I? My two girls (Ash, and Shadow) have been a part of my family for almost 9 years. My best bud (his name is Colors), I rescued from the street when he was just a kitten and he's followed me around my house, everyday, everywhere I go, since then.

I'm not sure what kind of situation he lived in before I took him in, but when I found him - he was as thin as a nail, was declawed, and look dreadful. I actually never approached him, he approached me. When I found him in the (around 300 acre) woods that's a park reserve near where I live - I could tell he'd been abandon. He saw me, and looked scared to death. But he was so hungry, so tired, and so thirsty that he came up to me and started crying. He was literally begging me for food... It still haunts me a bit. He looked so alone and afraid of me that I could that every logical part of his brain was thinking 'RUN!' but he was so hungry that he 'risked his life' to ask me for food.

I wasn't sure if I should take him, give him some food and then leave him, report him to the park rangers or what. But since I didn't have any food on me, and since I couldn't in good faith leave him in the state he was in - I picked him up, and filled the cap of my water bottle with water and he drank it instantly. So I decided to take him home with me - so I picked him up and walked the 2 miles home. I could tell the whole time that he wanted to be let go. He seemed so afraid of me, but I think he was just too tired to even try.

When I got home, I took him into my garage (which really upset him). But then I brought him out a bowl of kitty food and... I don't think I've ever seen anything eat that fast in my life. I'm glad I didn't give him too much or he'd probably of thrown up. He ate as if he thought the food would be taken away from him at any moment. He was still quite leery of me while he was eating - but I brought him out some more water, which he drank all of, and I decided I'd lay a bed for him in my garage (I wasn't sure I was going to keep him at this point). Anyways, I set up his bed and made sure it was nice and soft... and he refused to lay in it. I could tell he was dead tired, so I didn't understand it so I sat down on my garage steps think of what to do and when I did, he instantly came over to me, and laid with his back on my leg.

This really is what touched me about him. I realized after that, that the reason why he didn't want to lay in the bed was because he didn't want me to leave him. So I sat there, and I could tell as he was laying there that he'd never felt this much relief and love in his entire, short, kitten life. He just wanted to be next to me... feel the heat of another living thing next to him without having to be afraid...

Anyways, I put out 'FOUND' notices for him - thinking that he probably belonged to someone since he'd been declawed. But when I took him to the vet a couple weeks later, the veterinarian said that it wasn't a vet who declawed him. She said she could tell by uneven cut lengths of 'toes' and the fact that he'd licked the tip of his paw raw. She told me that it was likely that someone declawed him with something like a bolt cutter, and that worst of all - he had no anesthesia for it. After I found that out, I instantly decided to take down all of the found signs I'd put up, and keep him. I couldn't let whatever cruel person did that take him back again. So I kept him.

Anyways. I'm happy to say that it's been two years since I found him (the vet said he was probably 4 months old at the time), and he's now a very healthy, very happy cat :')

So I'm thankful that all of my cats are in a very loving home, are well taken care of, are healthy, and I'm thankful for the fact that I saved Colors from starvation.

Well, swampy, I always liked you but now I REALLY REALLY like you.=D<3

That is an amazing story. My sister is a cat vet and she has a similar one. There was a woman that was trying to manage a large feral cat colony by her home. She trapped the cats when she could and took them to my sister to spay and neuter. There was one wily old Tom that she could never succeed in trapping and every time she saw him he was more and more in need of medical help. After years and years of trying this old guy finally arrived at her door one day, mangled and bloodied and infected. She called my sister for a euthanasia as he did not look like he could possibly recover. When my sister got there and was examining him he head-butted her which is such a sign of trust and affection from a cat that my sister adopted him on the spot. It was amazing that after all those years of mistrust he somehow knew that he needed to get help.

De-clawing is in reality amputation and it is like any amputation in that there is phantom nerve pain for life. It is a cruel practice that should be outlawed.

Anyway, since this is the gratitude thread: I am grateful for people like Swampfox. And for cats in general.:)

Thankful for another day that has given me the chance to learn from my mistakes.

today i was very close to getting hit by a car while on my evening run (it was my fault), so i'm thankful i didn't get hit by a car

^yikes! That happened to me many times now... Lots of bad drivers around my area!

Thankful for a very beautiful sunny day today In Vancity

the sunshine
my beautiful apartment
my adorable kitty

Thankful for a new manager at work that is confident and gets things done!

Thankful the lost kitty I found and got to the spca was returned to its rightful owners. It was out on the streets for sometime, skinny, scared and hungry. Older black kitty named Amber with green eyes

Last edited:
Today I am thankful for the peace I feel within myself since I started methadone and started to organise and structure my life seriously!! Off the active addiction and its stressful little games on the program everyday to pick up. LOL. This interior peace comes from the fact that I don't do drugs anymore and in big part from a higher power up there!!Thank you

I'm grateful for my step dad. He has been there for me though all these years: Good times, tragedies and helped me raise my son. My real parents both passed away but with Pops I do not feel like an orphan. Bless him, he's a good guy.

I'm grateful for my step dad. He has been there for me though all these years: Good times, tragedies and helped me raise my son. My real parents both passed away but with Pops I do not feel like an orphan. Bless him, he's a good guy.

Awh I'm glad you have someone, honey xxxx

Evey

Family, peaceful sobriety from opiates, and I'm also thankful that my energy levels and sense of stability have 90% returned after the festival I went to... I went hard there and the transition back to normal life was rough for a few days, it had me slightly worried.

thankful for easily accessible spiritual teachings...

lately the concept of viewing my emotions as being something larger than myself has been incredibly useful. i am a very self-absorbed individual so this is helping me a lot, i might have the feeling in a social situation that i have shame about something that i did in the social setting, then i remember that there are millions of other people in the world who also feel this way, so i breath in this feeling of shame and breathe out open ness and the intention to release the shame of everyone who is feeling it. connecting myself to a bigger picture is such a powerful idea, amazing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.