• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Travel To which lands did you travel? And where do you want to travel next?

I've been to a bunch of the US states (and live in the US), Canada (Vancouver Island specifically), France twice, and all of the British Isles. Oh and Monaco for a day, and I guess I drove through a bit of Italy from Nice to Monaco and back. I would like to travel a lot more, but I'm pretty tied down to my job and band. I travel with the band, but just in 4 state region (so far)

I envy how easy it is for you Europeans to travel to different countries. The ocean makes it a lot more difficult (and expensive). Of course we have 50 states, and there is a massive amount of variety in them, and some of the most beautiful and varied land in the world.

Lived&work in Germany for three months long time ago.(travelling from Lower Saxon,through the middle to Bavaria)Lived&work in Italy almost a year.Lived&worked in Spain for three months.Travel like tourist many times in all the Balkans except Monte Negro&Albania.Been in Hungary,Croatia,Chezch rep.,Slovakia,Slovenia&Austria...Lived couple of months in Lybia at Kadafi's times.Would like to travel in other states of Old continent&another continents too....who wouldn't want it....
PS....forget- been in Belgium a couple of times-all Flandria regions&Valonia too&...ofcourse Amsterdam

Last edited:
REAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYY want to travel the world but have been to embarrassingly few countries due to severe physical and mental health problems.
So far, only:

England (not sure it counts since I live there)
Scotland
Wales
France
Spain
Ummmm...that's it lol. Well, apart from various Spanish islands; Ibiza, Mallorca, Tenerife...I wanna say Benidorm, but that might be mainland Spain? IDK I'm dumb.

Am staying in an "Ice Hotel" in Reykjavik early next year (fingers crossed for aurora borealis) and if all goes well with my health Japan in late 2023 :)

Spain is awesome, and you'll find one of the greatest raving communes in andalusia, with people from all over the world. They're beach ravers, lots of those kinds of raves there.

Oh and the women never seem to wear clothes in andalusia, call me a fan. One time we caught our dinner with a harpoon.

Spain is sweet, i almost took a house in Valencia that was empty, met another German over there who did the same. If the house is empty you can claim it(in Valencia. Super poor region)
You can't clame a house if it's empty. Has to be empty for over 30 years. Maybe your friend did it, but it is not legal. Go figure if you come back to Germany and find a ramdom spanish dude living in your "empty" home. What is true is you have to take them to tribunals instead of calling the cops and get the problem inmediately fixed. A true shame. Maybe funny for foreign ravers, don't know, but not for spaniards.
Obviously, they don't speak español in Spain.
They speak Castellano or regional dialect
Yes, once Castellano was the official name, but it is so differently spoken in different areas that we find Spanish much more inclusive. Today both names are correct, they even have a " Oficina del Español" in Madrid, the heart of Castilla.
No. Catalonian, Basque or Galician are not Spanish regional dialects as they don't come from Spanish. Catalonian is related to medieval french Provenzal and their national flag is one of the oldest of Europe still oficialy used. Galician and Portuguese were the same language and they had tons of literature before the first word in Spanish was wrotten. They are proper languages with their own Royal Academies, presided by the spanish King himself.

I want to go to Deals Gap this summer and ride the Tail of The Dragon. It's 318 curves in 11 miles by the North Carolina and Tennessee border

gapmaplg-1.jpg

dt-jpg.96143

What a amazing place, Electrum! What a beautiful forest, my God! Give me a autumm, even a spring, deciduos forest over any tropical paradise any day of the week.
Amazing.

Oh, I have not been in many places, Ireland, Holland, Morroco, of course Portugal, France and Romania, wich I loved. Incredible forest and mountains, as wild as it goes for euro standards.
Would love to visit the Balkans and the Caucasus.

Glad to see ya man👍❤️😀ye from my memories-spanish language(official)is called castilliano...in Madrid locals joked that speak madrilleňo..there's Galego language,Catalan,Valenciano...and totally different Bask's(Vasco)language...as i remmember..correct me,if i missed👍

Been to: BC, Canada...Japan (Kobe & Kyoto), Dominican Republic, St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Mexico and through the Panama Canal.
Dominican Republic was, in 1994, the most economical and the people were the friendliest.

Would like to visit: England & Wales, Eastern Europe, Germany, Portugal, Spain, Thailand, North Sentinel Island, Vietnam and Argentina.

You can't clame a house if it's empty. Has to be empty for over 30 years. Maybe your friend did it, but it is not legal. Go figure if you come back to Germany and find a ramdom spanish dude living in your "empty" home. What is true is you have to take them to tribunals instead of calling the cops and get the problem inmediately fixed. A true shame. Maybe funny for foreign ravers, don't know, but not for spaniards.

Yes, once Castellano was the official name, but it is so differently spoken in different areas that we find Spanish much more inclusive. Today both names are correct, they even have a " Oficina del Español" in Madrid, the heart of Castilla.
No. Catalonian, Basque or Galician are not Spanish regional dialects as they don't come from Spanish. Catalonian is related to medieval french Provenzal and their national flag is one of the oldest of Europe still oficialy used. Galician and Portuguese were the same language and they had tons of literature before the first word in Spanish was wrotten. They are proper languages with their own Royal Academies, presided by the spanish King himself.

What a amazing place, Electrum! What a beautiful forest, my God! Give me a autumm, even a spring, deciduos forest over any tropical paradise any day of the week.
Amazing.

Oh, I have not been in many places, Ireland, Holland, Morroco, of course Portugal, France and Romania, wich I loved. Incredible forest and mountains, as wild as it goes for euro standards.

Amazing.

My friend was actually granted the house by the state. I have no clue about the exact info, so yeah could be about the 30 years, but he said to us that house is free for the taking because it's empty and we would have to ask the town but we would get it if we asked. That's the info i have

Well yes and no about the dialects. There's certainly influence. Catalan alone is a mixture of French and Spanish, Basque i could understand at least partially, so there's certainly influence and galician i haven't encountered yet

Hmm, not that many.

Switzerland regularly as a kid, because I have relatives there.
France & Brittany a few times, one of which was a canal boat trip, super fun.
Catalonia, again relatives.
England, as my parents had some English friends.
Wales, my first solo trip - and where I ended up re-locating to.
Brazil is the furthest I've been afield.

Two places I really wanna go and haven't been yet are Greece and Finland.

Last edited:
My friend was actually granted the house by the state. I have no clue about the exact info, so yeah could be about the 30 years, but he said to us that house is free for the taking because it's empty and we would have to ask the town but we would get it if we asked. That's the info i have

Well yes and no about the dialects. There's certainly influence. Catalan alone is a mixture of French and Spanish, Basque i could understand at least partially, so there's certainly influence and galician i haven't encountered yet
Oh, maybe your mate has gone into a council owned place and they allowed him to stay. It could be, but the property remains on the legit owner, otherwise it would be the fucking jungle.
But, yes, laws here are the most lax that I am aware of, a good and a bad thing at the same time.

So curious you could understand Basque even partially, it is a very weird language, to the point of nobody knowing where does it come from. It is not latin, celtic, slavic, germanic.... some experts think it could be related to ancient Caucasian languages. The fact that they didn't wrote until recent times doesn't help, also.
Yes, Catalonian sounds like a mixture between Sp and French, actually it comes from one of the various medieval subdivisions of Latin, different than french or castellano/ español.
One of those Latin iberic evolutions lead to Galician and Portuguese, once the same language, but then differenced in phonetic and gramatic due to Galicia being absorved by Spain while Portugal remained independent
The lot of iberian languages are influenced by each others after centuries.
All those languages are that, proper languages, and then you have another dialects derived from them. Of course, Spanish is so much important world wise, but by no means it is the source of the others, nor is it culturally superior. No my opinion, but the statement of Spanish Constitution that gave those territories the consideration of Historic Nationalities.

Glad to see ya man👍❤️😀ye from my memories-spanish language(official)is called castilliano...in Madrid locals joked that speak madrilleňo..there's Galego language,Catalan,Valenciano...and totally different Bask's(Vasco)language...as i remmember..correct me,if i missed👍
You totally right, brat ❤👍

Oh, maybe your mate has gone into a council owned place and they allowed him to stay. It could be, but the property remains on the legit owner, otherwise it would be the fucking jungle.
But, yes, laws here are the most lax that I am aware of, a good and a bad thing at the same time.

So curious you could understand Basque even partially, it is a very weird language, to the point of nobody knowing where does it come from. It is not latin, celtic, slavic, germanic.... some experts think it could be related to ancient Caucasian languages. The fact that they didn't wrote until recent times doesn't help, also.
Yes, Catalonian sounds like a mixture between Sp and French, actually it comes from one of the various medieval subdivisions of Latin, different than french or castellano/ español.
One of those Latin iberic evolutions lead to Galician and Portuguese, once the same language, but then differenced in phonetic and gramatic due to Galicia being absorved by Spain while Portugal remained independent
The lot of iberian languages are influenced by each others after centuries.
All those languages are that, proper languages, and then you have another dialects derived from them. Of course, Spanish is so much important world wise, but by no means it is the source of the others, nor is it culturally superior. No my opinion, but the statement of Spanish Constitution that gave those territories the consideration of Historic Nationalities.
Very interesting ty

It's sounds me more inner state...a rural somehow...but i am sure it's beautiful

It's been a while since I felt like traveling. I used to travel a lot, done most of Europe, N.A., Caribbean and Australia. I'm too old and creaky to do hardship traveling or anything other than soft beds and 4-5 star rentals/hotels these days, so it can get a bit costly.

If I do start traveling again, I think in the short term I'd like to visit New Zealand, Iceland in summer, and Crete in spring (the flowers). I'd also like to do this train journey through Peru in one of the first class cabins:

Living in the northeastern U.S., the most beautiful places that I've ever travelled to were Hamilton Bermuda, Quebec Canada and San Antonio Texas.

There are so many countries that I would love to see, but between my lack of funds and fear of unsanitary conditions, it's just not possible.

Being a foodie, I would love to eat real Mexican food in Mexico and real Indian food in India. Luckily we have some very authentic restaurants around here these days. Plus I'm a vegan so my options are a lot more limited than they used to be.

But there are even beautiful historical sites in my own state that I've never visited, so I'm not in any real rush to be a jet-setter.

Happy and safe travels,
Dreamflyer