• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids To Sleep or Not To Sleep with Fentanyl

Lindhorst

Bluelighter
Using fentanyl for the first time (they're the 25mcg/hour), with a tolerance of about 30mg methadone or 90mg of oxycodone a day, is it fairly safe to leave it on while I sleep. I keep hearing horror stories, but then I read other accounts that I have to leave the patch on for at least 24 hours to get near peak plasma levels. These are watsons by the way. I suppose they're gels, but it's hard to tells. It's just a small clear patch with a sticky side. Sorry for the noob question but I've been researching for a couple of hours and I'm just getting more confused with every new post I read.

Broadly speaking, yeah its pretty safe considering your tolerance that is pre-existing... back when I use to plaster my self in fent patches, I usually took em off at night cause I'd wake up and puke my guts out and tear my skin off once my antihistamine wore off while I was asleep.

If you are using them transdermally as their are indicated to be used, and you aren't tampering with the time-release mechanism I don't see any huge danger in leaving them on while you sleep. Fentanyl has a very short half-life as far as opioids go, but it is a very potent agonist so you do want to be careful. You can tolerate 30 mg of methadone daily, though, so I don't think you will have much of an issue. Personally, I wouldn't leave it on to sleep just so I could save it for when I could enjoy it awake, and it never hurts to be on the safe side, and make sure this amount of fent isn't too much for you. Because it is only 25 mcg an hour, it might be deceiving in that you might not feel much for a few hours, until a larger amount accumulates, but like I said it does have a really short half-life. Personally, fentanyl didn't give me much euphoria as far as opioids go, but was quite noddy and sedating. I think it is an accquired taste.

I'm currently wearing a 25mcg duragesic patch that I put on about 4-5 hours ago. My doc gave them to me for kidney stones (I made another thread about it so I won't get into why the hell he decided to give me fent rather than hydros or percocets) but my opiate tolerance is pretty low. I used to abuse opiates for about 4 years until June and had a high tolerance then and loved fentanyl but this is the first time I've actually worn them as prescribed. I'm not feeling the pain relief yet but am starting to feel a little nauseous and have a headache. Should I take it off or should I expect the therapeutic effects to kick in sometime in the next 8-10 hours or so? Fucking dying from kidney stone pain and just wishing the fent would kick in.

Hmm..ok, would it be safe to add a few 10mg hydrocodone while the plasma levels build up just to get a little something going? It's only been 3 hours, but I'm already starting to get restless. And yes, for now, I'm using them the prescribed way (just sticking the patch on my chest).

Hmm..ok, would it be safe to add a few 10mg hydrocodone while the plasma levels build up just to get a little something going? It's only been 3 hours, but I'm already starting to get restless. And yes, for now, I'm using them the prescribed way (just sticking the patch on my chest).

Are you wearing these for pain or to keep you from getting dope sick? I assume not for pure recreation if you are getting "restless". I would not add any hydrocodone if I were you, because you will start to feel something, like I said it can take a while. And fentanyl is not your typical opioid, like I said it is really noddy and sedating, has a really short half-life, and has a larger side-effect profile than other opioids. Some people love it, some don't really like it that much.

Are you wearing these for pain or to keep you from getting dope sick? I assume not for pure recreation if you are getting "restless". I would not add any hydrocodone if I were you, because you will start to feel something, like I said it can take a while. And fentanyl is not your typical opioid, like I said it is really noddy and sedating, has a really short half-life, and has a larger side-effect profile than other opioids. Some people love it, some don't really like it that much.

Well, I guess both for recreation and not getting dope sick, as it's all I have left at the moment (except for a few tabs). The restless part is both feelings restless legs and restless because I feel nothing, but as you said it takes time. I was thinking about popping a few hydrocodone in the meantime while I wait was what I was getting at.

Well, I guess both for recreation and not getting dope sick, as it's all I have left at the moment (except for a few tabs). The restless part is both feelings restless legs and restless because I feel nothing, but as you said it takes time. I was thinking about popping a few hydrocodone in the meantime while I wait was what I was getting at.

I wouldn't if I were you, there is likely little danger in doing so, and I don't know the ins and outs of your tolerance, but there is no complete cross-tolerance with various opioids, and since fentanyl is new to you, I wouldn't be piling up on other opiates. What I am saying is you don't know how hard the fent will hit you even if you know your tolerance to other opioids.

When you are posting about your tolerance please explain how much you're doing at a time, in addition to how much you do in a day. Just because you are doing 90mg of oxy a day doesn't mean much. I can do 30mg every 4 hours, or 90 mg at once then nothing until the next day, or 9 x 10mg. It makes a huge difference.

So how much oxy do you do at a time, and how often are you doing that. Also are you shooting, or sniffing.

fentanyl is such a longer-lasting drug that when I had a large habit, simply sticking the patch on me would barely bring me into nods.
I would normally smoke/eat/shoot a large portion of the patch at once, although I don't necessarily recommend it.

have fun either way tho bro

I thought fent was super short acting? I guess it makes little difference when it's a patch.

It is very short acting, especially via the IV route. But the transdermal patch releases tiny amounts over 72 hours to make up for it's incredibly short half life.

I use the 100mcg/hr patches - With the lowish Oxy tolerance that you have, I'd say that you would be safe with using the 25mcg/hr patch, BUT ONLY AS PRESCRIBED - YOU COULD EASILY OVERDOSE ABUSING THIS PATCH, SO JUST DON'T DO IT. Obviously you know your body better than me though. I have been on Fentanyl over 2 years, and as stated by someone, it seems it is an acquired taste. I hated these things when I was first started on them, but now I'm used to them, and have also found that I my liking for them has grown over time.

Using these things as prescribed, they will NOT MAKE YOU NOD/HAVE EUPHORIA. They are instead very sedating and make you sleepy, they also do wonders for pain. They also take AT LEAST 12HRS to start working the first time you use it, so unless that time period has passed, IT HAS NOT REACHED FULL EFFECTS, SO BE CAREFUL TAKING MORE OPIATES. I found when first starting them, that I felt very groggy and tired on them, wanted to sleep a lot, had a slight headache among other slight symptoms. These wear off after around 2 or 3 days. I'd only suggest Fentanyl as directed, transdermally for pain relief - By abusing these, if you are doing so or plan to do so, you are putting yourself in a position you will later regret - These things jack your tolerance up to the point where no other opiates do very much, and as I'm sure you are aware, this can become a problem. I was also taking 400mg of IR Oxy per day as of 3 months ago along with the patch ( for medical reasons, everything prescribed - long story ), and for me to feel nice and high, I'd need to take 250mg of Oxy at once... That's how much it fucks up your tolerance. If you don't believe me, wait and see!! :)

If you do indeed abuse these patches and try screw with the time release and put them in your mouth or something - BE WARNED, overdose on Fentanyl is very easy even to an opiate tolerant person, and the sad thing is, you can take too much of it, feel tired, head to bed and end up overdosing in your sleep and not waking up.. :( Simple as that. This has happened to countless people, so be careful, and don't fuck with this drug, it is NOT WORTH THE RISKS.

Also if you forget to change your patch when its due, withdrawals kick in quite quickly and then you are in for 12hrs of hell while you wait for the new one to start working, it is not fun :S This is due to the short half-life of Fentanyl.. once it starts leaving your body, it leaves quick. This makes withdrawals hugely intense and unbearable, but also makes the period of withdrawal shorter compared with longer lasting opiates.

My advice as far as Fentanyl go: Great for pain relief and helping you sleep. Not so great for recreational purposes due to the side effects listed above such as massive tolerance increase and low euphoria from substantial amounts. I'd recommend something else if you wanna get high, avoid Fentanyl if you're just messing around, you WILL REGRET IT.

** I am not a doctor nor am I any sort of healthcare professional, nor do I claim to be. Anything and everything above is my own personal experience and is not intended as advice. I am not responsible for anyone choosing to abuse this drug. Be careful, Fentanyl is not a joke **

Last edited:
I use the 100mcg/hr patches - With the lowish Oxy tolerance that you have, I'd say that you would be safe with using the 25mcg/hr patch, BUT ONLY AS PRESCRIBED - YOU COULD EASILY OVERDOSE ABUSING THIS PATCH, SO JUST DON'T DO IT. Obviously you know your body better than me though. I have been on Fentanyl over 2 years, and as stated by someone, it seems it is an acquired taste. I hated these things when I was first started on them, but now I'm used to them, and have also found that I my liking for them has grown over time.

Using these things as prescribed, they will NOT MAKE YOU NOD/HAVE EUPHORIA. They are instead very sedating and make you sleepy, they also do wonders for pain. They also take AT LEAST 12HRS to start working the first time you use it, so unless that time period has passed, IT HAS NOT REACHED FULL EFFECTS, SO BE CAREFUL TAKING MORE OPIATES. I found when first starting them, that I felt very groggy and tired on them, wanted to sleep a lot, had a slight headache among other slight symptoms. These wear off after around 2 or 3 days. I'd only suggest Fentanyl as directed, transdermally for pain relief - By abusing these, if you are doing so or plan to do so, you are putting yourself in a position you will later regret - These things jack your tolerance up to the point where no other opiates do very much, and as I'm sure you are aware, this can become a problem. I was also taking 400mg of IR Oxy per day as of 3 months ago along with the patch ( for medical reasons, everything prescribed - long story ), and for me to feel nice and high, I'd need to take 250mg of Oxy at once... That's how much it fucks up your tolerance. If you don't believe me, wait and see!! :)

If you do indeed abuse these patches and try screw with the time release and put them in your mouth or something - BE WARNED, overdose on Fentanyl is very easy even to an opiate tolerant person, and the sad thing is, you can take too much of it, feel tired, head to bed and end up overdosing in your sleep and not waking up.. :( Simple as that. This has happened to countless people, so be careful, and don't fuck with this drug, it is NOT WORTH THE RISKS.

Also if you forget to change your patch when its due, withdrawals kick in quite quickly and then you are in for 12hrs of hell while you wait for the new one to start working, it is not fun :S This is due to the short half-life of Fentanyl.. once it starts leaving your body, it leaves quick. This makes withdrawals hugely intense and unbearable, but also makes the period of withdrawal shorter compared with longer lasting opiates.

My advice as far as Fentanyl go: Great for pain relief and helping you sleep. Not so great for recreational purposes due to the side effects listed above such as massive tolerance increase and low euphoria from substantial amounts. I'd recommend something else if you wanna get high, avoid Fentanyl if you're just messing around, you WILL REGRET IT.

** I am not a doctor nor am I any sort of healthcare professional, nor do I claim to be. Anything and everything above is my own personal experience and is not intended as advice. I am not responsible for anyone choosing to abuse this drug. Be careful, Fentanyl is not a joke **

^^^^^^^^^^

This is excellent advice.........& he is right about your tolerance skyrocketing.........have a friend that did fentanyl for fun & his tolerance went way up. I had several chances to do them & declined every time. I rather stick with regular opiates.

OP: good luck with the patches............

It is very short acting, especially via the IV route. But the transdermal patch releases tiny amounts over 72 hours to make up for it's incredibly short half life.

I read the half life is 17 hours. I dont get withdrawls until about 12-15 hours after my last hit

Ok, so if used properly, will my tolerance still shoot up? With the 25mcg patch, that's approximately equivalent to 2.5mg each hour right? It seems as if I don't mess with it, it won't mess with me too much.

Yes, regardless of whether you use it as prescribed, or abuse it, your tolerance will still rise after constant use of Fentanyl. And no, with he 25mcg/hr patch, it releases exactly that - 25 micrograms per hour, which is 0.025 milligrams ( mg ). Sounds small but Fentanyl is mighty potent.