• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Tips on not getting so damn paranoid???

I had to quit smoking weed due to the paranoia. Never used to have a problem with it, but once I got my MMJ card, and started smoking 5 grams of hash per day, that's when the glory was lost, and the psychotic symptoms started. I recommend taking a 3 month break if you're a regular smoker and still paranoid, as I noticed the paranoia was the beginning of my psychosis.

I've found that all the paranoia I experience when smoking has to do with my perception of the social stigma against drug use. When I get paranoid all my thoughts revolve around the idea that being high is bad because society would judge me negatively if they knew I were high. The solution? Get away from people when you smoke, or rather get away from people who aren't also smoking.

I had an awesome weekend with some friends out in the country where we were smoking bowls constantly. Generally that would make me paranoid but because we were outside of society, I didn't have any concerns. When you're in your house alone, you're away from people but you are surrounded by all the reminders of your responsibilities and societal pressures. Going for a hike while high is the best bet for a clear-headed, happy time.

It's crazy to me how some people seem to experience less self-awareness when high as opposed to more. I'm very self-conscious when high but some people just don't give a fuck. For example, I was taking a trip by bus last weekend and these typical party college kids were smoking out of a one-hitter right next to the bus while we were waiting to leave the station. Everyone on the bus was watching them smoke and the kids didn't care at all it seemed. Once they were done they just got right on the bus, high as hell. If I did that I would be having a real bad time.

drink a little alcohol along with it, should tackle any type of anxious feelings.

IME only way to dodge paranoia is not to smoke period or take a strong amount of benzos/alcohol afterwards, never before.

IMO the anxiety effects of cannabis are overpowering even after taking anti anxiolytics but still I love Mary Jane so much that I endure.

I feel like my sunglasses are my shield from everyone looking at me in public places even though they probably notice me more wearing sunglasses everywhere including indoors or at night and even indooors/at night.

Beyond that Ive adopted the fuck it attitude. They know Im baked but fuck em I got a lot of shit on my plate and my mental health is more important than some random asssholes judgement. Especially considering they think its fine for someone to get drunk on grain alcohol but God forbid you put a relaxing flower into your lungs.

youll never get past weeds paranoia, Ive spent a decade dealing with it. If it affects you that much, find an alternative that doesnt induce paranoia. Otherwise, realize that everyones not staring at you, its just realistic eye contact in a public setting. I imagine half the time we think everyones staring at us theyre just giving us a fleeting glance and suddenly we start trippin. "Are my eyes too low or red?" . "Did I laugh way too loud?" Probably but at the end of the day is anyone realy affected by it? No not a fuckin chance.

Paranoia is a side effect of cannabis use on top of anxiety and probably other negative effects. On the other hand that paranoia and other stuff is trivial in comparison to the relief and well being I get from Mary Jane. Just my 2 cents.

if you already have a tolerance just stop, weeds not for you anymore. (this is me pretty much)

if you don't have a tolerance, having one makes it more manageable.

overall though, if you're not enjoying it why do it? you could end up with anxiety problems sober making yourself paranoid all the time like that, i've seen it happen and had it happen to me for a couple years.

weed is not as harmless as many would like you to think.

Have you tried simply smoking less?

Pot is so strong these days, if I take more than 3 or 4 hits I wind up laying on couch nearly getting panic attacks and having terrible circular thinking. I've found that literally just one of two pulls from my bowl is all I need to produce an enjoyable high. Anything above that and my chances of having a terrible high increase drastically.

If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.

It's nothing to be ashamed of, but some people don't tolerate cannabis as well as other people, and probably shouldn't smoke because of that.

First of all, don't drive high. You SHOULD be paranoid if you're doing that.

Secondly, I just look at paranoia as one of the effects of the drug. When it starts getting to me I realize it's drug induced, take note of my ridiculous behavior, and then usually start laughing because it's hilarious.

It gets even more hilarious when the paranoia slowly evolves into quick split second whispers that you are quite sure you just heard. Then when you realize you also hear them when you are sober, the real comedy show begins.

Have you tried simply smoking less?

Pot is so strong these days, if I take more than 3 or 4 hits I wind up laying on couch nearly getting panic attacks and having terrible circular thinking. .

You do know that circular thinking and loop thoughts can be a sign that you are predisposed to psychosis? If you get loop thoughts when you get high, I would be very worried...

Marijuana is POTENTIALLY (not saying it is for all people) the most dangerous drug on this planet for those predisposed. Not physically, you can not OD. It is psychologically a fucking gamble with either fun or horrific psychosis that can be permanent. Legalization has not even been effect that long and people are already popping up everywhere with early signs of possible psychosis. Not only on Bluelight...

Last edited:
It gets even more hilarious when the paranoia slowly evolves into quick split second whispers that you are quite sure you just heard. Then when you realize you also hear them when you are sober, the real comedy show begins.

You do know that circular thinking and loop thoughts can be a sign that you are predisposed to psychosis? If you get loop thoughts when you get high, I would be very worried...

Marijuana is POTENTIALLY (not saying it is for all people) the most dangerous drug on this planet for those predisposed. Not physically, you can not OD. It is psychologically a fucking gamble with either fun or horrific psychosis that can be permanent. Legalization has not even been effect that long and people are already popping up everywhere with early signs of possible psychosis. Not only on Bluelight...

What i mean is that i will fixate on something that isn't so pleasant(bad day at work, fight i had with a family member, money issues etc) and won't be able to stop thinking about it unless i distract myself with something else. Like, my mind keeps going in a circle back to it. I think that's part of my personality in general though, like if I make a mistake at work i will kind of fixate on the mistake all day until I fix it. After doing some research it seems that can be a symptom of anxiety which I do have sometimes so who knows.

I have been smoking for nearly 20 years though and know my limit. Which is part of the reason I don't get super high anymore.

Last edited:
What i mean is that i will fixate on something that isn't so pleasant(bad day at work, fight i had with a family member, money issues etc) and won't be able to stop thinking about it unless i distract myself with something else. Like, my mind keeps going in a circle back to it. I think that's part of my personality in general though, like if I make a mistake at work i will kind of fixate on the mistake all day until I fix it. After doing some research it seems that can be a symptom of anxiety which I do have sometimes so who knows.

I have been smoking for nearly 20 years though and know my limit. Which is part of the reason I don't get super high anymore.

It is loop-thinking and that is exactly how drug induced psychosis starts. I smoked everyday for years and each time I got high, I started to get these...just say I have an issue with paying off my car, the thoughts would be like " I just have to save my money next week, then pay it off. Just work and pay it off, thats all I have to do. If I can't pay it off, i'll save the week after and everything will be sweet" over and over and over again. Something really interesting can stop it, but that is about it.

This is loop thinking, and cannabis was the sole reason I started doing it. It only happened while I was high, then slowly I would do it while sober. I still got high everyday, then slowly came the quick whispers whilst high, the eventually started to present themselves very subtly whilst I was sober.....and all hell broke lose.

Enjoy smoking this "soft" drug. It is not as safe as some stoners make it out to be.

It is loop-thinking and that is exactly how drug induced psychosis starts. I smoked everyday for years and each time I got high, I started to get these...just say I have an issue with paying off my car, the thoughts would be like " I just have to save my money next week, then pay it off. Just work and pay it off, thats all I have to do. If I can't pay it off, i'll save the week after and everything will be sweet" over and over and over again. Something really interesting can stop it, but that is about it.

This is loop thinking, and cannabis was the sole reason I started doing it. It only happened while I was high, then slowly I would do it while sober. I still got high everyday, then slowly came the quick whispers whilst high, the eventually started to present themselves very subtly whilst I was sober.....and all hell broke lose.

Enjoy smoking this "soft" drug. It is not as safe as some stoners make it out to be.

For me it's more like "fuck, i think forgot to tell my boss i was going to be out next wednesday. If I did forgot to tell him he is going to flip out.. i really hope i actually told him but that I just forgot i did" Then i'll be like "did i remember to tell him or not? Fuck, I'm so forgetful sometimes, it really sucks" etc... Then i'll focus on music or something for a while but then i'll go back to worrying i forgot to tell my boss i was going to be out. It almost always seems to center around work.

I guess I wonder where one draws the line between symptoms of psychosis and just being a person that worries about shit a lot. If i have a presentation to give at work it kills me for an entire weeks beforehand, it's all i can think about. "i'm going to fail misserably and lose my job" "i'm going going to forget everything" "it's going to be the end of the world" etc etc..

Maybe my problem is my job? :)

Last edited:
^Maybe that's just OCD? I think everyone experiences these types of thoughts.. Everyone's a lil OCD

^Maybe that's just OCD? I think everyone experiences these types of thoughts.. Everyone's a lil OCD

I guess that explains why I will go through the trouble of remaking the bed before I go to sleep if it looks too messy lol

Ok, now while it IS true that weed can bring out latent psychosis, your statement that "if you get thought loops on weed you should be VERY worried" is fucking blatantly retarded because it ignores a couple important facts 1) even people with NO psychiatric issues can get stuck in worry loops while high 2) there are lots of forms of anxiety that people can have that can be worsened by weed and result in thought loops like Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder, etc.

For example, I have GAD and because of it I usually get anxious when I smoke if I don't drink alcohol with it, but I LOVE the alcohol + weed combo so I enjoy smoking weed when drunk but rarely smoke weed when sober.

I get worry loops/thought loops when high, and yet I have no psychosis or schizophrenia.

To jump the gun and assume that worry-loops while high = Psychosis or schizophrenia rather than just GAD, SAD or even normal anxiety because weed can be an anxiogenic drug is fucking retarded and ignorant.

MOST of the people who get anxious while high on weed will ruminate about things that are bothering them and do NOT have psychosis or any form of it whatsoever and it's absolutely zero cause for concern that you might have psychosis if you experience this while high if while NOT high you do not experience this sort of thing...

In fact, I'll go further to say that I have "worry loops/thought loops" when NOT high...and it's still just cause I have GAD...not freaking schizophrenia or psychosis.

Way to exaggerate and assume that the worst possible diagnosis is the result or having anxiety while high...

This is why I don't smoke weed anymore, My heart starts racing and I get a panic attack and turn cold, It's horrible..after two or three days my tolerance goes up and I can enjoy it without the panic attack, but then I get paranoid, Its not that BAD, It's mild paranoia that lasts 15mins, But why go through the trouble? I use to smoke and go to public/social events no problem I never felt "nervous"; but now I do, So I stopped about a year ago, Now I have the energy and focus to play my guitar or play some chess, back then when I was getting high in my late stages I did not want to do shit, Super lazy de-motivated. The first three years of smoking were great though, <3. I have nothing against it, but it's not for me anymore

Don't smoke it, eat it.

Actually yes. This is a great idea. If I use cannabis (rarely do anymore) I always use it in edible form. The high is much more gradual, rather than sudden and making you panic and lasts longer.