• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Thoughts on encouraging friends to take psychedelics?

Ganj

Bluelighter
I'm cautious about introducing new people to psychedelics, mainly as I don't want to hurt anyone or scare them. But at the same time I honestly believe it can improve life quality and that it is a magical thing. I know people who want to do it very much, but I also feel they are possibly too shallow/unprepared but I don't want to take away the healthy fear of shrooms by under dosing. My main worry is they will think they are prepared, when they don't really know what to prepare for and get swept off their feet when it hits them.

Another thing I'm a little worried about (I honestly don't mean to sound sexist) is females especially late teens having a generally more fragile state of mind, and I don't really want to be responsible for anyone breaking down, would one consider lowering dosages in this case?

I understand set and setting play a vital part in a trip, My mother lives a few miles out of the city and its a really nice big space that everyone has been in before many times and some chilled music can be put on. Other than giving a small pep-talk before anyone ingests anything and making sure no-one has any background problems or that they are discussed and put to rest its mainly up to the individual to decide the way the trip goes.

All thoughts are appreciated

smaller women smaller doses
smaller men smaller doses too.

I don't generally encourage people, but I make it easy if they obviously want to experiment, and then we treat it like an experiment, cautious, controlled, safe.

You do not have the right to do so. You do not have confidence in your outcomes. You have nothing to offer these people. You are not able to explain or understand the experience beforehand. It is an isolated location perfect for all sorts of horrible things to happen. Your selection process is superficial. You seem wholly unprepared.

I found the other night with my friends who I've introduced to LSD (one was his 4th trip, the other his 1st, can't count how many I had), the moment my trip went south, and it was the worst trip I've had after that moment, so did theirs. So keep that in mind if you introduce someone to psychs and then trip with them. Apparently I am normally a calming presence for my friends when we trip together

You do not have the right to do so. You do not have confidence in your outcomes. You have nothing to offer these people. You are not able to explain or understand the experience beforehand. It is an isolated location perfect for all sorts of horrible things to happen. Your selection process is superficial. You seem wholly unprepared.

Understood. Wise words.

As a rule of thumb, I never reccomend or encourage people to take new drugs, I merely explain what the drug does and how to prepare for it if they ask about it.

I won't reccomend them but I will share what info I have about em, what the risks are and what benefits they may bring and if they seem truely interested then who am I to stop em. Just don't be stupid about it, keep plenty of benzos around and start em off with a very gentle psychedelic like perhaps 2c-c or 2c-i. I mean lets be real, not all psychelics have a strong mental component and there are psychedelics that are very noob friendly but of course there's always the chance of someone having a bad trip. Typically though pretty much all my trips are alone or with my girlfriend simply because I don't like having to babysit while I'm tripping, just results in two rough trips IMO.

what a load of assumptive crap

OP just give people a moderate dose. a large house with good music should be fine but dont talk anyone into tripping who isn't interested. shallow or not who cares? some people enjoy tripping some dont and being shallow or deeply philosophical has little to do with it. its drug high and therefore is down to individual taste like music.

mescaline is way more forgiving than shrooms and avoid mixing cannabis with the trip. it ALWAYS sends my trips crazy and confused

Mescaline isnt available to me, I can get libs (a very dark and sinister trip, my favourite) and ketamine, probably best to do the ket first as shrooms really scare people.

Like stated above, if people are interested, give them the best info/resources you can & let them decide.

An individual choice for the adult in question. All you can do as a friend is give them all the info that you can. I must add actual info, dosages, experience, etc not banging on about aliens and archetypes or ego death and other crap that is not relevant. Info on possible counter indications, possible adverse reaction, some pharmacology of the substance, mode of action (ie what part of the brain etc is effectedby the substance) and other information ie medication interactions, medical/psychological history, physical health ie blood pressure etc, dosage, what to expect to some extent without becoming pseudo philosophical, etc. A well informed drug user is a successful drug user.

If you have access to philosophers stone truffles I recommend these highly as a first experience with shrooms. Probably 3-4 grams of philosophers stone truffles (Psilocybe tampanensis) as they are generally less potent than the fruiting part of a mushroom. Psilocybe cubensis is possibly a stronger experience and I'd suggest 1-2 grams as a starting dose. This is not what I took as a first dose of mushrooms (possibly 6-7 grams??) but I advise 6-7 grams is NOT a starting dose rather a stupid first time experience. A friend had seizures from consuming 1/2 and ounce as a thirteen year old, again I advise strongly against these type of dosages.

Never judge by gender I know women who can handle stupidly high doses of shrooms and other potent psychedelics, not that I'm encouraging stupid high dosages. Every individual is different you may be surprised about who can handle what. I agree with the below post. If you have given the individual in question all the relevant data you can and they still ask to experience the substance start with a low dose and be there for them while they have their experience (be a sitter and stay sober, if their experience gets unmanageable you will be responsible enough and experienced enough to help them manage it or as a last resort seek medical aid).

Last edited:
I only very rarely pass psychedelic drugs onto other people, & then only ever to people whom I am 100% certain have experienced psychedelic drugs before or are without question stable & interested enough to experience them for the first time. Despite being assured of these factors, I have still made mistakes & regretted giving psyches to others. I would be extremely cautious, especially if you intend to trip with your friends. If you REALLY wish to give some newbie a whirl, make sure they have a smaller dose than usual & that you stay straight to help in case of difficulties. I suspect that most newbies would be grateful that you are experienced in psychedelics, but chose not to engage in the trip so as to be sure your newbie friends are safe.

I apreciate the views expressed above, that the more people that are turned onto Psyches the more support to overturn the laws against Psychedelics we might have, but it's not worth risking life or sanity for those goals, imo.

I personally have never offered anyone psychedelics, but when people ask me about them, I will help them with that side of things and point them to resources like this and Erowid. When you suggest something to someone, you never know if they secretly admire you (or another) a great amount and are saying yes not because they want to, but because they want to impress you (or another).

Mescaline isnt available to me, I can get libs (a very dark and sinister trip, my favourite) and ketamine, probably best to do the ket first as shrooms really scare people.

i find ket far more dark and evil than shrooms:\

personally i find ket is dysphoric unless on the tail end of mdma

i live in the uk and yes mescaline cactus is available online as are poppy pods that make you rush and nod, coca tea truxilense leaves that is amazingly euphoric/orgasmic/horny when brewed strong, etc.

you can get anything these days very easily

I have given these people lots of information and places where they can research further, and have given them the basic survival info like dont fight it, breath if it gets scary, remember you are in no danger etc... Im hiding their phones and making sure they haven't got background worrys buzzing round (at least consciously) before they dose. Decided to go for shrooms the first time, i think with an appropriate dose and a calm setting everything will go smooth. Thank you for the info all.

pofacedhoe, as soon as i am 18 i will be ordering a vast range of compounds and entheogens (spacing trips out, make sure i dont over do it) but for now, libs i pick and some filthy ketamine that's dodgy as hell are the only psychedelics available to me. Im HOPING there will be a january flush as the winter has been mild. Otherwise im stuck with this dirt cheap ketamine which im guessing has a purity of about 10% until August...

^ This. If they want to do those drugs, they would've already asked you and did all the prep and research themselves much as you did yourself. You can't force or suggest acceptance of something someone may not be able to accept for themselves, no matter your outside influence.

Even still, are you ready to be held responsible for what happens? What if you give someone a psychedelic and it triggers a suppressed or timed mental disorder? I gave my friend LSD once. 5 street hits, found out next month that he's schizophrenic and the trip kick-started his disease. Look it up, you don't sound like you're ready to hold responsibility for ruining someone's life.

^ This. If they want to do those drugs, they would've already asked you and did all the prep and research themselves much as you did yourself. You can't force or suggest acceptance of something someone may not be able to accept for themselves, no matter your outside influence.

Even still, are you ready to be held responsible for what happens? What if you give someone a psychedelic and it triggers a suppressed or timed mental disorder? I gave my friend LSD once. 5 street hits, found out next month that he's schizophrenic and the trip kick-started his disease. Look it up, you don't sound like you're ready to hold responsibility for ruining someone's life.

Both these comments are rather rediculous, especially the first one. People are responsible for their own choices and it's not like anybody is putting a gun to ones head. There is nothing wrong with presenting truthful information and letting the person in question choose whether or not they want to take the drug or not. Everyones had to of heard of psychedelics from someone so I would rather people hear honest information from me rather than some greedy dealer or even worse, the media. If the person chooses to take the drug then ALL responsibility lies on then, they are the one who ultimately decided to take the drug. As long as there's no peer pressure involved then I'm all for sharing the psychedelic experience with others. Also you gave your friend 5 hits for their first time and didn't even supervise them? If so you did a poor job letting him take 5 doses. YOU shouldn't introduce anybody to psychedelics but those who are responsible and determine the person mentally fit, give a small dose, and supervise sober with benzos on hand can do so rather safely and responsibly. Who goes schizo off a 15-20mg dose of 2c-c? Don't just dump 5 hits of a very potent psychedelic on somebody without deeming them fit and responsible and you also wanna actually be there and give him no more than 1 tab for their first time.

How do you know what the reaction would have been otherwise?

How do you know you won't be killed in a tornado or earthquake out of the blue? Life is full of unknowns and it's a silly arguement to say that if you don't know the result of everything than it shouldn't be done at all. Marijuana can cause nasty reactions in some but it's not frowned upon to introduce people to weed now is it? So your telling me I shouldn't leave my house because I don't have control of the possible outcomes? If someone is going to take interest in psychedelics why not provide them with a comfortable setting, modest dose, a sober experienced trip sitter, and benzos or antipsychotics in case of a negative outcome?

Last edited: