• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Things to replace tobacco with in joints.

I've heard (but not tested) that dried parsley is a good tobacoo substitute.

i was on a quest for baccy alternative a while ago with no real luck.

tried various baccy alternatives from health stores. Tried Camomile/chamomile, Raspberry leaf

nothing was that great to smoke, i advice just using the small short skin papers and roll yourself a nice tight small pure joint and take your time on it, come back to if you have to chip it and come back later. pure is a nicer high i think

I mix my joints 50-50 weed : tobacco.
Not because I don't wish to get to high, but because I don't like choking on thick syrupy pot smoke, adding tobacco makes it more pleasant for me.

^^
yeah, i noticed that a pure joint will have a way lighter taste and will go down the throat like fresh air, but I will cough way more compared to a weed+ tobacco spliff

Hi Sebastior, I've been experimenting with homemade herb mixes for about a year now, here's my two cents:

-Raspberry leaf is the best tobacco substitute in my eyes. It's got a "bold" flavor and a similar consistency to ganj minus the stickiness, which can make it easier or harder to roll into a cigarette. It compacts when you squeeze it, but it's also kind of "slippery" and likes to jump out of the paper. Adds good volume, smokes evenly; I usually use it as a base. Throw in a little (ONLY A LITTLE) lemon balm for some extra acidity; I haven't been able to recreate that astringent tobacco aftertaste yet but lavendar sometimes comes close.

-Mullein, also known as lamb's ear, is relatively tasteless and has the added benefit of helping expectoration (making and moving mucous--you're going to cough!). The consistency makes it kind of difficult to work with; you need to rub it between your fingers to break it up before you can really do anything with it. Mullein doesn't hold itself together that well when squeezed, and it's more slippery than raspberry leaf. Mixes well with anything. Don't bother with the stems, just use the leaves.

-Lavender is absolutely delicious and has a wonderful calming property to it. I used to use it for anxiety, but tolerance to this effect builds pretty dang fast. You don't need to grind the tiny flowers; they usually roll pretty well if you sandwich them between whatever else is in your cig.

-Lemon balm is also delicious and I've experienced a "sharpening" or calm-alert effect from it when smoked alone (dunno if this is supported by any formal testing though) and it has a synergistic effect with lavender (it helps that the two taste wonderful together). It is REALLY REALLY STRONG, so don't use more than a tiny sprinkle in a cig, or a single pinch in an Altoids tin-sized mix.

-Mint. Do I really need to say more?

-Catnip is another mild, easily-rolled herb that has a slight calming effect in some people (again idk if this has been proven).

-Mugwort is purported by some religious/mystical schools of thought to bring on vivid dreams and is used by some people to achieve lucid dreaming. Be aware that mugwort contains thujone which can be harmful in large amounts. Dunno about the safety but I've smoked it both dry and green and it hasn't hurt me; I usually get great dreams when I use it but that's probably the power of the mind over matter. It tastes bitter, not at all gag-worthy but may be too much for some people.

-Motherwort, I've found, tastes like popcorn when smoked. Don't ask me why. It's hard for me to roll, though, cause it came in twig form =/

This last one may interest you more, but BEWARE! This one isn't totally safe.
-Lobelia has a compound in it that is chemically similar to nicotine and will bind to the nicotine receptor. THIS CAN CAUSE A NICOTINE OVERDOSE IF YOU SMOKE TOBACCO OR CONSUME NICOTINE AFTER CONSUMING LOBELIA. IT CAN HURT YOU. I'm not an expert on lobelia and haven't actually tried it myself, for the record, I just figured it deserved a mention. Do your research before trying it out.

Also, hello Bluelight! I've been a lurker for many years, this is my first post ever. I hope my contributions can be of value to our wonderful community =]

^^
yeah, i noticed that a pure joint will have a way lighter taste and will go down the throat like fresh air, but I will cough way more compared to a weed+ tobacco spliff

U will get used to that for sure. Plus health wise it would be 'better' smoking your joints pure.

Not saying I roll'm pure, I would roll a good tobacco-weed joint over a pure joint every day. U just can't deny it gives another twist to the effects.. THC combined with Nicotine seems to hit me wayyyyyyy harder and puts me more in a lazy, mellow state. Pure joints don't taste that good (probably because i'm addicted to cigarettes) imo and give me a little bit more of an uplift. Don't know why but I don't like pure joints =)

Also, hello Bluelight! I've been a lurker for many years, this is my first post ever. I hope my contributions can be of value to our wonderful community =]

Welcome, great first post! Come shoot the breeze in the social thread, and don't forget your flak jacket (BL is srs bizness :p)

I know this is quite late, but sure, I'm not sure on any caffeine levels in red tea (which shouldn't really matter much anyways), but loose tea of any kind would be a better than any of the ground up mixture of herbs/tea in pre-bagged teas.

Why mix the herbs to begin with, why not just roll up less, or smoke less? Mixing cannabis with tobacco makes sense as they both elicit some pleasureable effects, but supplementing tobacco with another herb doesn't click in my mind.

The effects of smoking these obscure herbs regularly is not well documented like with cannabis. The practice of diluting cannabis with tobacco or other herbs is a bad habit that needs to be broken imho.

Has anyone tried wormwood? I had this blend thats base was grounded out wormwood, it had a great smooth smoke. Maybe that would work?

Every summer I buy an ounce of Kinnikinnick at a pow-wow for mixing with weed. It's an herbal blend usually smoked in peace pipes, the ingredients vary but the stuff I buy is made up of sumac, strawberry, deerstongue, mullein, and bearberry.

Wild dagga and weed are a match made in heaven. The dagga can enhance the effects of even really bad weed or hash. I guess there's also damiana the (supposed) aphrodisiac. I guess maybe khat, but that's banned in the UK at least.