The Super Mega-Merged Undercover Cops Thread!

nope that's just a myth...
imagine a cop is some hardcore sting op and he's around a bunch of armed, ruthless mother fuckers... you think he's going to say hell ya if he's asked if he is a cop..............

No, undercover police DO NOT have to identify themselves, this has been covered MANY times, please do a search and consult the FAQ's.

Undercover cops

My friends and I are having a discussion and we want to know if under cover cops supposed to tell you if they are under cover cops when they are asked? This is very important so if someone could post back as soon as possible I would be very very greatful!:X

NO, undercover cops do NOT have to tell you they are undercover cops.

I have no idea how that myth ever got started, but it's ludicrous.

if you meet a undercover cop they are after you so be carefull. they dont just walk around unless they got a mission.

I never understood that myth either - surely there would be absolutely no point to going undercover if you had to tell people? =D

--- G.

Cleaning house...

I am merging several existing threads on undercover police officers into this one so we can stay organized. I think all will find it informative.

Many different aspects of undercover police work are covered in detail.

Our search engine is a very useful tool- if you need answers and don't have time to wait for people to respond, I encourage you to use it.

(for legal reasons the following is hypothetical and meant for discussion purposes, it should not be done by anyone)

Just a side note on this:

So the whole <3<3<3<3 doing drugs thing can be a grey area. What about them doing other illegal things, somehow suggesting they do something illegal without leaving yourself open to charges of conspiracy to commit a crime.

This may sound strange but I'm sure cops aren't allowed to commit sexual assault to catch a dealer so....

why not say something like "a cop wouldn't grab my (insert what ever)"

this way you aren't consenting to it but are sort of implying it. If they do it then they can be charged with sexual assault, i don't think narcs get a blanket pass on prosecution. If they don't do it then make sure you haven't made any references to illegal activity and end the conversation.

On another note, in the US merely talking about getting/selling drugs constitutes conspiracy, so you'd have to very careful.

Thanks for all the answers to my thread, i won the bet! haha! Undercover cops are one dangerous thing to be dealing with, but there are loopholes aren't there? say an undercover cop knows you have alot of drugs in your house, can he do anything about it until there has been an actual money, drug switch?

^^^I'm glad you won your bet. :) We're always happy to help.

wizecrak- I like your disclaimer :D The issue of intrusive searches has been a big deal in our litigious society. Do a search of the Legal Q & A forum through the Search function on the top right hand corner of your screen- then you can see others' opinions on the matter and post your own. :)

Undercover Surveilance (sp?)

Recently around my neighborhood there has been an increasing amount of 'standing' cars and men with large walkie talkies, definitly undercover. What kind of stuff do you think they might be monitering ? Just a single house or the whole neighborhood ?

Canadian/American law on Narcs need to identify themselves as cops/badge#

There is the constant myth that Narcs and plainclothes need to admit to being a cop when asked. I'm pretty sure they can lie and say that they aren't a cop but do they need (legally of course) to give thier badge number when asked? Is there a difference in plain clothes and narcs in this situation? whats the difference in canada and the states?

Hi and welcome to Bluelight. :)

We have a Super Mega-Merged Undercover Cops Thread already in existence. This issue has been covered several times in our forum. See here for search results

No, a police officer does NOT have to tell you he or she is a police officer when doing undercover police work. This is true in both the US and Canada, and I believe one of our Aussies in the past has enlightened us that the same is true there as well.

I'm going to go ahead and merge this thread with the big bad mega merged undercover cops thread- continue the discussion there. :)

duh-- haven't you guys seen Training Day? they can do whatever they want. i'm serious.

^^^ Please don't litter a serious forum with statements as fact based on movies. If you do so again, I'll be forced to call the Mod Squad to set up a sting on you, as well as getting Charlie's Angels involved - and you don't want that, becasue they might send your case to their tv bretheren where Judge Judy might sentence you to The Green Mile leaving you praying for a Shawshank Redemption by the time everyone is done with you.
i'm serious.

===============
back on topic:
Cops can do what is necessary to make the bust. I have cops for friends (that don't know half of what I do) that I can ask honest questions of. Some do drugs recreationally on their own, that I can attest to first hand. As for undercover - they can do what they need to for the bust, as that is the ultimate goal. Poor decisions or hindsight will be dealt with as long as the overall goal is met.

===
back off topic:
Thanks for the merge mari. It was weird seeing Spedly's name float back up, but appreciated.

^^^
My thoughts exactly!

For the record; confidential informants (which are civilians utilized by the man to bust your ass) are subject to great scrutiny whilst "working" under the spell.;) So I read in USA Today.

THELOVEBANDIT = the cops can do whatever the hell they want. they'll find some way to stick you with something. Booyakasha is right. the cops own us, and we're lucky we get away with what we do. a cop can come pull me over for no reason, and just go 'well, i smell marijuana' and search my car all he wants and probably have me arrested because i was 'acting suscipious' or 'possibly under the influence'. I feel training day was alot like real life when it comes to getting arrested for shit.

I've heard that they can. You can be a ¿¿¿¿ and not actually work for the cops. In that case you can most certainly partake. These would be people who got busted themselves and are now narcing out their friends!

What about this scenario? A cop sells you an amount of drugs, then arrests you? What would be done in those circumstances?