• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

The Snooker Thread. V. "Sport" for pacemaker patients and the deaf

Ronnie is past it, wants to be a commentator, good luck to him.

Robertson v Hawkins was a good match last night

He says he's only practising for 2 hours a week, there isn't enough money in it for him now & he'd rather be a pundit on Eurosport. Past it, was a great player in his day, but he's just a pundit now. Steve Davis might still have good weeks, but he's not winning another world championship & neither is Ronnie.

Anyway, Trump v Bingham looks good, not going to miss this evening's session.

Bingham is so incredibly boring though... I hate to admit it but everything from the way he looks to his manner around the table. No flare about him, even if he is playing consistently solid snooker.

Snooker needs a Murphy-Trump final. Murphy-Bingham I would struggle to watch to be honest, not because it would be bad snooker, but because it would be boring snooker. Only Murphy's cracking long-potting and consistency would lure me in for a final with Bingham in it.

That match was tense. Bingham played some amazing shots, deserved the win. Looking forward to the final. Murphy has been on top form too.

Im not going to agree with you Dr GT for atleast another couple of years, Ronnie won the UK chamionships this season and got to a few other major finals. Which other payer who was "past it" has ever done that? (Ok Davis got to the UK finals when he was about 10-15 years past his best, but that was a freak and unaccountable return of his best form that he has never managed to repeat)

As soon as Ronnie beleives he is past it he will retire, just like Hendry. He simply wont play unless he believes he can win everything he enters, just like Hendry. He wont be like Jimmy White, deluding himself into thiniking he can still win the world championships in 25 years time, 25 years past his prime. I love Jimmy but someone should have a word with him about that. He makes a fool of himself every time he says it. :eek:

I think Bingham has surprised everyone how good he now is this fortnight, Davis admitted he was surprised. I wonder if thats what caught Ronnie out, the unexpected improvement of his opponent, and his huge growth in self belief and self confidence due to that. Confidence plays a huge part in snooker. Apparently he competes in every tournament going, and is now extremely battle hardened, experienced, hard working, and has a steady temperament. I agree that he falls into the 'boring players' camp, even though he plays a quick attacking style of snooker, i dunno what it is about him, but im sure hes not gonna worry about that, with the steady and incremantal huge improvement in his game over the last 5 years.

Last edited:
Ronnie's interviews should never be taken too seriously. I mean no disrespect to him with that. I have no doubt that he is sincere and means what he says when he says it, but because of his extremely changeable temprement he could feel totally diffently just 5 mintes later. I've followed him for long enough and closely enough to know that.

How nice, but unexpected, for Bingham to have won.

It's nice for him to finally get there and he's always seemed like a really sound guy in his interviews.

I actually shed a wee tear :)

Ah, nice one! I haven't heard 'Snooker Loopy' in ages.

I know it's widely regarded as a really shite song, but I loves it.

Taylor's accent really shines through ;)

Bump! UK champs well underway. I've not been following but caught the second half of the Selby - Jones match last night. Felt sorry for Jones, he should have been through, but it was classic Selby doing what he does best really, clinging on til the bitter end.

Last edited:
WTF is Ronnie doing this snooker season, he doesn't seem to be entering anything all season from what i have gathered:?

BBC sports website said hes not competing in the UK or Worlds:( I wonder if he'll at least throw his hat into the ring for The Masters:?

Anyone (in other words Josh) got a link for the world championships qualifiers streaming?

Jimmy White starts his first of a possible 3 qualifying matches against Gerard Greene in 12 minutes, but I have not, as yet, been able to find a sports streaming site that will let you watch without first providing your debit or credit card details. :sus:

EDIT: Just found a stream that does not need card details, but the sound quality is atrocious, i think I'm gonna watch it without the sound interference. :!

http://snookerroom.tv/

Last edited:
That's Jimmy out at the first hurdle. :(

He played some really excellent pressure shots that he slotted home no bother, had he missed those, he would have left everything on for his opponent and lost much earlier. He lost 9-10. Gutted. Especially as he seemed to be playing very well. It was a tough draw, though I suppose people will say there are no 'easy matches' any more.

Steve Davis is the next big name crowd favourite to play on Saturday. He seems to have dropped off the main tour, but must have been given a wildcard invitation to these qualifiers, or had to play pre-qualifying matches, to qualify for the qualifiers. It's a very long road that the likes of Davis face just to reach the first round of the TV stages, but it would be great to see him achieve the seemingly impossible and manage to qualify for the Crucible one more time.

Last edited:
I played snooker and billiards for the first time tonight. I basically lost at both.

Both games are very difficult, especially billiards.

But at least with Snooker it's good to watch someone who can play with flair, unlike billiards where apparently the best players ideal scenario is to manouver the 2 object balls so that they get jammed together on a cushion, and then tip and tap the cue ball thousands of times for hours on end at the point where the 2 object balls touch; presumably until their arms or back begin to ache, or the referee falls asleep, i guess. But no wonder that never caught on as a TV sport for viewers or a mass participation sport for amateur players.:\

If you're five and a half feet tall and below 9st, you may find the bargepole and pocketed football field combination makes snooker a difficult choice of "sport".

#TheMoreYouKnow

If you're five and a half feet tall and below 9st, you may find the bargepole and pocketed football field combination makes snooker a difficult choice of "sport".

#TheMoreYouKnow

That sounds like my dimensions heh. Being lanky is definitely an advantage in snooker.

Last year I just got a livesport.tv subscription for $6 a month so I could stream the Worlds on my phone or at work or whatever, and then cancelled it immediately after. Just done the same again for this years :) http://www.worldsnooker.livesport.tv/home