• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

The Snooker Thread. V. "Sport" for pacemaker patients and the deaf

I always used to watch this every April until I moved out. Some cracking matches were on over the years. I loved Jimmy White n felt sorry for him. How many finals was he in but never won? He waa a lengend in his own right but must have felt frustrated the amount of times he lost to Davies n then to Henry

Then there was good matches with Henry n O'Sullivan. I've read O'Sullivan's books n enjoyed them. He gave good advice about how he turned things around. How he changed from drugs to runnjng, joined running club n changed his way of thinking. I would advise anyone, whether snooker fan or not, to read his books as he gives good advice.

I'll have a read through n see what's going on lately n if it's still shown on BBC2.

Evey

Steve Davis has now also been beaten, along with Joe Swail, Tony Drago and Andy Hicks. So much for the old favourites. It's a shame they've all lost so early on:\

Ding, McManus, Wenbo, Doherty, Milkins, Ebdon and greater Manchester Player Craig Steadman have all won his their first round matches. I'd be surprised if Ding fails to qualify and wish McManus well.

Couple of things MDB...with Jimmy, we must have watched a different match. I thought the whole thing was horrendous, with White slightly worse. In the 8th frame he missed a pink. Not pocketing it. He missed the whole ball on a straight shot, handing the frame to his opponent. Later on there was a frame when they got down to the colours and every single colour was off its spot. Like if I'd been playing you. Dreadful snooker.

Second thing. Seen The Rack Pack? Don't you think Steve Davis was spookily real? (And Jimmy wasn't far off either). I thought it was a decent film, worth watching (I-Player only).

I didn't watch the whole match, just caught glimpses now and then, they must have been the times Jimmy was playing well.

I have seen the Rat Pack, all the characters seemed really spot on, although the Alex Higgins character was the least convincing imo, but I guess that he is probably the hardest character of them all to play convincingly, as he was such an extra-ordinary personality.

Anyone (in other words Josh) got a link for the world championships qualifiers streaming?

Jimmy White starts his first of a possible 3 qualifying matches against Gerard Greene in 12 minutes, but I have not, as yet, been able to find a sports streaming site that will let you watch without first providing your debit or credit card details. :sus:

EDIT: Just found a stream that does not need card details, but the sound quality is atrocious, i think I'm gonna watch it without the sound interference. :!

http://snookerroom.tv/

Get a fire stick and install kodi on it. Got streams for literally everything it seems

Yeah someone else mentioned that, could you pm me a source for a firestick? If i was streaming through my pc would i still need the firestick or could i just install kodi? I guess if have to run it through my pc if it requires installing software. 8(

You can install kodi on a pc (windows, OS X or Linux) but the fire stick will allow you to watch on your TV. It's effectively just a small computer running Android.

You can pick one up from a South American rainforest retailer :sus:

Pm me if you need any help setting it up

OK cheers, I'll give it a go, I'm also messing around with trying to connect my Virgin Tivo box to my PC, so im probably gonna fuck up both my tv connection and my internet connection. :sus:

Time has flown by today, I think I''leave it all to another day when i have all day to do it, rather than trying to rush the job and fuck it up.8)

I remember as a kid watching the Embassy Worlds with My mum on a black and white portable....(and I thought it was hard enough to understand in colour :) )

She used to love watching the snooker......

I really miss her :(

Watching Higgins , I don't think we realise how lucky we were. Mind you the rocket comes pretty close.

Used to see Ronnie jogging round Hainault park in the mornings when we was doing a barn conversion there.

Last edited:
Although i was in my early teens when Higgins was at his peak i still consider myself fortunate to have been able to have seen a lot of his matches. Simillarly with Ronnie, many think he is the best player there has ever been, so it is a privilidge to be able to watch such an outstanding talent. The Rocket comes closest to Higgins when it comes to controversies and tempremantal / unpredictable character. In terms of playing style i think Trump is more similar imo with all the flair showboating, arcing the white ball with reverse screw shots etc, he's a direct descendant of Jimmy White's style, which is the same, and that is similar to Higgins due to their speed of play and the 'lovable rogue' public persona.

Ronnie takes on some amazing shots, but he generally doesn't play any faster than is necessary, but he's still very quick and does not hang around, his average frame time is probably 15 minutes. Nor does he put his shoulder into the shots nor really hammer the balls any harder than is ever necessary, nor put loads of unnecessary spins on the white ball for the purposes of entertaining the crowd and viewers. His game is more evolved for winning matches imo, generally playing the percentage shots in a much more clinical way, and generally not going for wild shots that might come off 1 or 2 times out of 10. He's like Russel Crowe in the scene in Gladiator when he slaughters all his galadiatorial opponents in about 5 seconds flat imo. Higgins would have stretched that out to entertain the crowd, Ronnie gets the job done with the minimum of fuss and effort, whenever possible.

Much as I enjoyed watching Higgins and White, Higgins particularly was prone to going one crazy shot too many. Of course when they went in everyone said he was a genius, but those type of shots would be missed more often than not, and he got called reckless and lost many matches he might otherwise have won, as a result. In particular the 1980 world championship against Thorburn was one of the most well known cases of this, when Higgins had a commanding lead, but then started showboating, if there's one person you cannot do that against it would be Thorburn, not know as the Grinder for no reason. And nothing to do with gay pick up websites either.:D

Last edited:
Totally agree MDB , yours was the stimed up version of my smacked up one =D

Lol, ive only had kratom and a cup of coffee too. Just started taking Piracetam again too, after noticing i have a fair bit of it and its already just past the sell by date. It seems to 'oil the machinery' of the brain pretty well.

"Im, ...I'm,...I'm huntin'....
Lookin' for a come up....

THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME!!!!"

(sorry couldnt resist it....as you were folks..

Errr....I'll get my coat shall I? :) )

Ding is 8-1 up against Bond. He only needs 2 more frames in their next session to qualify for The TV stages now. Even if he does have a bit of a wobble im sure he will get at least the 2 chances he needs to win the match. With hindsight I wish I'd put a bet on Ding to make it, as i felt certain all along that he would qualify. Probably would have been very poor odds anyway. :\

McManus is also looking good at 7-2, virtually home and dry. Doherty vs Day this afternoon, unless Day is out of sorts and Ken is on top form the match could / should be a breeze for Day, as Ken does not seem to have been doing very well at all recently, i cant remember the last time that he made it through the qualifiers to reach the TV stage of any tournament. :\ It would be great if Ken could pull off the biggest surprise result of the qualifiers and manage to hit some good form and actually win. He would really be the last of the old timers to make it, unless Ebdon can also join him by managing to win his final qualifying match too.

Other players that have been around for donkeys are Carter vs Dale who play tomorrow, and Matthew Stevens should quite easily win his final qualifying match against the unknown to me Kyren Wilson. I'll try and make use of one of those free bet offers, possibly top it up too, depending on the odds. Stevens to win seems like a certainty. (Although I'm sure any regular gambler would say that there is no such thing as a certainty in sport. It would help if id actually seen Kyren Wilson play, I might have slammed a few hundred quid down on that one if i knew anything about Kyren Wilson.)

Last edited:
Ronnie's first televised match is underway. Only just switched on but looks in top shape. I have a feeling this is going to be an excellent championship :D

Yeah, it's looking good. Nothing personal against Bingham but im glad he lost, he wont be able to stand in Ronnie's way this year. Neither will Murphy, though strangely Murphy just fell to peaces last year against Ronnie. Ronnie will have to play either Barry Hawkins or Zhang Anda (Chn) in round 2. Hawkins is capable of beating Ronnie, but not if Ronnie has one of those days where he plays out of his skin. Dunno anything about Anda. I'm not looking any further ahead than that just yet.

I was amazed to see Mitchell Mann's manager get interviewed as it was someone I had met. Most annoyingly i cant remember his name, might have been john farnworth, though thats where his club is; Farnworth. The guy was a local snooker coach a few years ago, was working with Craig Steadman, but now manages Mitchell Mann who debued at the Crucible today. The coach was not a good match for me at all, you can see with Steadman and Mann that they play very robotically with just 1 inch toing and froing of the cue, meant to increase accuracy of striking. Steve Davis commented that Mann needs to 'free himself up if he is to progress' and i have to agree, but i bet Farnworth was fuming lol. Plus Mann is bound to have recorded that match and will listen to the commentary.

The robot style might work for robots, but any snooker player that tries to play like a robot does not do very well. Even John Higgins who's cue action seems kind of stifled compared to others, but it works for him obviously, has a longer and freer backswing than that, and Murphy's is huge yet everyone says he has the best cue action. I dunno, i took on board some of the things he said like leaning your weight slightly into the shot so that you get much more effect for much less effort, i tried playing like a robot for half an hour, and decided it was not for me. I have kind of compromised and gone for a more middle of the road cue action and backswing now.

Last edited:
I go away for a few days and snooker ends up second in the thread list?!
Please tell me one of you cunts asked about snorting the chalk or something?!