• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the S+G social thread vers. NFL offseason = S+G offseason

yeah i have a shinai somewhere stashed at my parent's place. i did a bit of kendo years before my heavy iaijustu training. will probably go back to it once i have more time and money.

Anyone else watchin the Stanley Cup playoffs? Flyers are killin the Penguins

penguins play super clean hockey.

Animation2.gif

well shit... word is the new generation of consoles will lock games onto the system they were initially played on. meaning, you don't even have an option to resell a game after your complete it.

the gaming industry will kill itself with this.

I hear valve is going to be making a new console. Their PC platform, Steam, is the epitome of game sharing so I hope they wont follow that trend.

well shit... word is the new generation of consoles will lock games onto the system they were initially played on. meaning, you don't even have an option to resell a game after your complete it.

the gaming industry will kill itself with this.

Word. Although I see the online gaming for consoles being the real loser as this is the only way they will detect mods/cracks. I will not think twice about hacking my new console and torrenting games if this goes ahead.

Valve is one of the few companies I still have faith in. All my old favorites are starting to sell out (Bioware, Infinity Ward, Blizzard). Im just glad I got to experience their games in their hayday, not this watered down junk being shoved out to satisfy stockholders.

i think valve came out and said they def werent planning on making a console in the foreseeable future.

as far as consoles locking games in and trying to kill the used game community, if they do go through with it i will be done console gaming for good. they would essentially be killing gamefly with this as well. i hope they do go through with it just to see if some other company steps up and releases a new console

i got lost in ChickenScratch's neighborhood and thought about rousing him from his golf tv watching or whatever he was doing but instead just kept driving until i was not lost, hope my gucci mane woke everyone up, damnit. i obviously don't know how to drive :(

i held off for long enough. grand turismo 5 and god of war III for two for forty deal at game.com.au.

thank you very much

Found my singlet with some old clothes today it was tough but it still fits!

DSCN0550.jpg

i was hardcore into wrestling from ages 6-13, during most seasons i would travel to a good 20 tournaments a season and would wrestle for my town's club every sunday during the season - our region had a nicely run elementary league

i never really liked it, that nervousness before a match fucking sucks, only stuck with it cause my dad loved being involved with it, had friends in it, and i was pretty fucking good at it

i knew it was time to quit when some loser that was horrible beat me for a starting spot during a wrestle off

plus i was pretty much the last person to hit puberty in my grade, those puberty kids were too strong for me

my most memorable and hilarious experience was going to this tournament in new jersey - it was hosted at a fair and the mats were set up under a pavilion - surprisingly the tourney drew a lot of talented kids

^My story is similar.

I was one of the top wrestlers in the district in elementary/middle school. However I hit puberty very late and eventually just gave up after about 4 months into my junior year. I was weaker/taller than almost everyone I faced but I could still pull out wins. I was in an extremely competitive environment too. Practices were 2 or more hours 5 days a week.

I completely agree about the nervousness before a match. Knowing that its all on you and everyone is watching is unnerving. Wrestling inst like team sports where the blame for a loss is split amongst the team members.

^the team outcome is also another reason that makes golf awesome

that fucking nervousness would last from the minute i woke up until the match was finished

but holy shit was winning a tournament or a match you felt like the underdog rewarding

I wrestled for like a year when I was 12. Only tried it because my friend was into it. I wasnt really good so I just sticked to soccer. Its weird I cant just physically battle someone unless im truly angry at them. If its just a random person I had a hard time really harnessing my strength.

wrestling was my sport. that shit taught me some serious mental toughness, as Ohio was a brutal battleground for wrestling. either you were up against some stacked kid from one of the Cities, or against one of those corn-fed country bumpkins... it was tough

that sport was the closest to one-on-one combat that one can get

Here is a video of the guy I had to deal with in highschool. The Tirapellis are a legendary wrestling family in my area. 2 of their sons have won NCAA individual national titles and another took 2nd place. This is him losing to the best wrestler in Ohio in 04.

He is in the Blue.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAr5OJk54KQ

The guy that beats him went on to be a beast at Ohio State.

In 8th grade I was the only local opponent of his to
A) score points on him
B) not get pinned

Even though I always got my ass kicked I was the only one in the district (12 high schools) that ever gave him a challenge.

Last edited:
holy shit man, yeah Jeff Jaggers was such a beast. I went to States here, which was quite the accomplishment for my four-year wrestling career, but I lost early and out in that year (2004). Jaggers was a helluva good wrassler, there's no shame in losing to him

I remember my best wrestling memory. it was at this tournament near Cleveland that attracted all the best wrestlers/wrestling schools from mainly Ohio, but also PA and NJ and WV (PA is a pretty dang good wrestlin' State, too)

I was pretty good, so my coaches were lobbying for me to get a decent seed at this huge Invitational Tournament. this Tourney was so class that my Coaches were shooting for a 3rd or 4th seed, but they told me this other coach from this other school kept on laughing at their lobbying, and insisting I get a 5th seed so their guy could get the 4th seed. apparently, my Coaches were offended and said that this school and their wrestler thought I was a joke...

now I'm sure my Coaches stretched the story a bit to get the most motivation out of me, but I went on to absolutely rip this guy when I faced him. it was one of those brutally honest and sweaty wrestling matches, but the only points this offensive opponent got on me were when I kicked him out after being taken down (I always preferred standing up and wrestling instead of rolling around in the mat - shit can go wrong down there at any second imo)

THAT was a great feeling. I also remember, like Care, when I wrestled a dude who was so much better than me. I wrestled 160 for most of my career and I went up against this guy who was STRAIGHT from Russia. he couldn't even speak English very well, and I still remember his tattoo on his upper right back shoulder - a tattoo of the Nation of Russia with a guy in a wrestling stance inside of it...

well I won't lie. the first time we wrestled, which was early on in the season, this Russian Guy pinned me in the 3rd Period. however, I remember when I went up against him in Districts, I wrestled SO much better. the Russian Villain in Question still won, however I was able to score on him a couple times, kept it close, and lost by a couple points due to decision

wrestling in high school/college is a LIFE-CHANGING experience imo. nice to shoot the shit with someone like-minded, here :D

My best wrestling memory is when I beat a guy that was at our school the year before, then moved to the rival school for 8th grade. He had beaten me at our home meet, but I came back and beat him at Districts when it really counted.

Also, I remember when this kid on our team that I hated and was always a weight class above me lost weight and tried to challenge me at 135. I beat him in a wrestle off and he was forced to go back up to his old weight class. He was so pissed.

Since I was always taller than my opponents I would almost never shoot in on them. I would lock up and try to get them to shoot and be ready for it. Once I was on top I usually did very well at getting back points or at least keeping position.

Last edited: