Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/2stars.gif[/img]

• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

• Total voters

ranimal

Bluelighter
Cormack McCarty, is my new favorite author. I discovered him from watching No Country For Old Men. Oddly, it's a movie I like better each time I watch it. I thought it was strange that I'd like a movie better the 2nd and 3rd time so I decided read up on the original author. McCarthy's primary style is slated as the sub-genre Souther Gothic. Cool huh? I decided to pick-up another one of his novels The Road. I finished it in just a few nights before bed and...

Holy shiat!
The Road is a 2006 novel by American writer Cormac McCarthy. It is a post-apocalyptic tale of a journey taken by a father and his young son over a period of several months, across a landscape blasted by an unnamed cataclysm that destroyed all civilization and, apparently, most life on earth. The novel was awarded the 2007 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and the James Tait Black Memorial Prize for Fiction in 2006.
You'll want to read this one, and check out the Film starring Viggo Mortensen in theaters, in the US, Oct 16th.

Of course I don't know how the film will match-up to the book, but it's going to be intense in any event.

Those of you how shy away from this genre may wish to consider reading the book at least. It's not my 1st genre choice either, but i was deeply moved by the book.

Here's the trailer for the movie. Hold on and watch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbLgszfXTAY

Watch in HD if you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
The book was incredible. The writing works so well for the story that I'd have it written in no other way. I'd like to also add that the setting is more of a backdrop to the actual story. Don't expect Mad Max going into this one. My imagination ran wild with descriptions given in the book, which wrote enough to give you an idea, but not overly burden you with adjectives. Highly recommended. Can't wait for the movie. Hope they don't jack it up.

McCarthy has been my favorite author since I read All the Pretty Horses for a class called "Literature of the South and Southwest" over ten years ago. That novel, along with The Crossing and Cities of the Plains comprise the Border Trilogy, pretty much his masterpiece. Another good one is Outer Dark.

His prose is really beautifully descriptive, and dark and violent at the same time. Really great stuff.

I haven't read The Road yet, but plan to soon.

That trailer definitely is not right. I just started reading the book after seeing the trailer linked above and I was very "huh" for about 20 pages... finally realizing that cannot be the right trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbLgszfXTAY

is correct. :)

So far the book is amazing.

I thought the book was good, but I guess I just don't get why it's "amazing" or "incredible".

I don't know, a book that compels me to finish it in less than 2 days is usually 'amazing' in my world.

That said I have found that I have a tendency to use strong, maybe embellished, language when I critique books I respond positively more than most others.

BEST BOOK EVER!!!! ;)

Haha. I wasn't really trying to single anyone out with my post. ;) I think read it quickly because the book is like 200 pages and I was home for xmas at the time. I'm sure I'll see this eventually. Mortensen is usually a good bet.

STFU everything is about me!!!

Yeah, it's only like 185 pages with fairly large print but usually I'll only allow myself to read a book to the point where it puts me to sleep. After starting this I lost interest in doing anything else til I finished. :)

One thing I'm having trouble imagining is the father and son's conversations being anything but cold and near emotionless dialogue. I actually liked that element of the book but I can't see it translating to the big screen.

It was a sollid book, at least I thought so.

I'm just hoping the movie does it Justice.

I thought the book was good, but I guess I just don't get why it's "amazing" or "incredible".

I don't know, a book that compels me to finish it in less than 2 days is usually 'amazing' in my world.

Or, like the Road, very short ;) [alright, on preview, you both said that as well].

I really feel like I missed something with The Road. Like there's this whole range of meaning that I completely, completely didn't notice. Because otherwise I can't see what the fuss is about. It's only stunningly original and horrifying and bleak if you've never read any other post-apocalyptic science fiction.

It's still good though. But I don't think it's his best. (Cities of the Plains, maybe...). Movie could be good, if it's true to the spirit of the book.

That said I have found that I have a tendency to use strong, maybe embellished, language when I critique books I respond positively more than most others.

BEST BOOK EVER!!!! ;)

I am a huge fan of post-apocalyptic fiction, and I like Cormac McCarthy decently enough - but I thought that The Road was essentially unimaginative and it went nowhere (and not in a "good" nihilistic nowhere).

the father, the son, nor their relationship kept me interested - and I'm sure stripped to the core McCarthy wanted this book to be about the father-son bond. the setting in this novel was ashy, gray, and cold. this bland background pretty much described the mood in my mind when I put the book down.

I love Cormac McCarthy, but I don't understand how this book has such a large following?

I hate to be that guy, but I can only see the movie as being horrible.

Why quote me in particular Axl? lol

because its awesome!

im glad to hear that this is finally actually coming out... to the best of my knowledge it started filming over 2 years ago.

i havent read much from the "post-apocalyptic science fiction" genre but what i enjoyed most about this book was mccarthy's persistance in description. it is a very short book obviously but he never stops describing the bleakness of their environment/condition. it would seem like this could become redundant and maybe it is but i never tired of it.

the trailer looks pretty awesome. how is it coming out in 10 days and i havent seen one advertisement on tv? however i am FULLY aware that "year 1" is now available on dvd ;)

Ditto... read it, thought it was ok but wasn't blown away. I would have appreciated a bit more backstory, from the look of the preview it looks like there will be more in the film.

I was left wanting how the world got the way it was, but I guess that's not the point.

the link is to the movie "Reservation Road"

aren't they two different movies?

Yeah, Amy corrected it up near the top. I just edited the OP.

I read the book twice, about a year and a half ago. I lost my copy round then. It's fantastically brutal.

I'm curious as to how it's going to translate.