The real & classic hip-hop colosseum thread v. Shady

the first company flow album is one of my favorite hip hop albums that has been made... other than the first wu tang release, the first solo releases from most of the wu tang artists, and then jedi mind tricks "violent by design" i can't think of any better hip hop... i really like viper the rapper too and some bone thugs songs, but that's kind of in different genres to me.. really got into "i wish" by skee lo too... i pretty much just listen to all the stuff i mentioned when i want to listen to rap.. i used to listen to lucacris chicken and beer and a couple other albums for a while too... kool keith is pretty awesome too. i listen to him every once and a while, but definitely not that company flow/wu tang vibe... i kind of lost interest in the definitive jux label that was made by El P from company flow. too futuristic of a sound. mid-late 90's rap like compnay flow is the best to me... i couldn't really get into the anti-con label either, although the synths they use are pretty awesome. just didn't hit right to me. maybe i'm a hater. i felt like anticon was like west coasts definitive jux.. i actually am really impressed by some anticon labels beats. they played like every release from them in a row over harvard colleges college radio a few years back. i was listening to it pretty attentive, but could never really go back to that stuff when comparing it to some of the other hip hop i mentioned. i dunno.....

just a quick review of rap/hip hop from me... i first heard wu tang when i was in third grade in 1993. music is how i know i was a real person as a kid and not just some immature being.... i didn't know about company flow when i was a kid. i'm kind of surprised to see them on here. would totally expect to see definitive jux stuff though, but haven't really come across too much talk of that...

this is my favorite song on that company flow album, some of it is just banging hip hop, but this song has some serious emotional appeal. i'm pretty sure it's all just shout outs to old graffiti:

Is this rap? When did hip-hop become rap? What year, lol, is there a fine line some acts can be categorized as both?

i think nwa and easy e were "gangsta rap"... i've heard that before.

i really have no idea what the difference is. if you google what's the difference between them "In the context of music and genre, the word hip-hop is often used as another way of referring to the musical genre also known as rap. However: all rap is hip-hop, but hip-hop is not only rap."... i think hip hop might be more upbeat and at one time i think it was supposed to be a positive movement unlike gangsta rap... i think there are some people out there though that consider the two terms the same. idk i'm not really buying the explanations i'm reading on google. go head and do a search. lol

Last edited: