• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

The Rave Experience v. Three dollars for fucking water?!?

@CaptainKratom

If you are dressed too smart at a local club that I go to you get rejected, its a strange policy that a lot of people dont understand and are annoyed when they get chucked back, its basically to make sure only the casual ravers who are regulars and know the scene sort of get in, not just the randomers who walked in off the street. No smart shoes, no smart pants or top (like work wear, shirt, ties etc).

I dont see why it makes a difference really, all the more funnier when someone accidentally strolls in off the street into a dungeon of pill heads. :)

NSFW:
319511_10150377218218784_2081216350_n.jpg

Friend with the shades going a bit hard

Well I certainly wouldn't call any of my attire "smart" lol, I just choose to not look like the people in the OP, that's a bit rediculous but that's just me. When I go to clubs they're almost always 18+ and the DnB scene out here is a bit different than that of the UK. Here the DnB scene is more of the casual "let's go see wilkinson and have a couple beers" as opposed to the UK's let's pop a shitload of pills and party our brains out to original sin". Raves are different though, for the most part the smaller raves are usually house/trance/hardstyle/dubstep and it's more like what I picture a UK rave to be where there isn't one person not on some sort of substance whether that be MDMA or LSD...

And might I say that you all quite lovely in that photo xD, I use to have sooo many pics of me in such states but decided that they were painfull to look at lol.

This vid always makes me laugh my ass off, those look like some good times lol.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IGRNcnkAaI4

I also always bring glowsticks, next time I'll have red and white glowsticks matching the theme of the rave :)

@MK I'll bring it up in a report post later or something, it's not a huge deal but I don't think it's entirely helpful for you to spend your time with this when there are more important things at hand!

Man this scene has changed so much, $3-4 for a water, jeeezus... when I was a kid club security would be walking around handing out free water lol.. ( I distinctly remember a head of security yellin out 'this shit saves lives!!!'
Also, seems like dubstep/trap has brought w it an influx of douchebags , not as 'plur' as it used to be. Dont get me wrong I love a few of each styles dj's, but I miss old style raves/shows

3-4 dollars for water is nothing new.

I went to a rave in 2004 that they were charging 5 bucks for water, oversold the venue, blocked off access to half of the bathrooms and the only water fountains in the whole place and made it a 21+ area only, all kinds of crap.

We had a venue here that would actually keep security in the bathroom to take your water bottles and throw them in the trash if they caught you trying to refill them and that was on top of cutting off the cold water so you would get warm/hot water only to begin with. I called the sheriff on that venue the last time I was there because they oversold the show so they went to a one in, one out rule and that meant that people outside were cut off from the bathrooms and the only exit was gated shut. You were essentially stuck there. They got a huge fine for that one and nobody held shows there again after that.

Really hope my next event will be something truly special... any tips?

folley..

if your next event is noisecontrollers you're gonna gave a very good time :)

its a catch 22 with the scene today. my first one was 1995. drop bass's annual 3 day party called even further at a campground here in wisconsin . over the years it was at a camp ground of ski hill or where ever. while it was basically just turntables and a strobe and a laser , the vibe and the feeling of the scene that the people brought was awesome. there was no jadedness that i kinda see with some of the kids today (not saying that everyone is like that of course ). basically hope that the permits were allowed and that the cops didn't show up and shut the music off at midnight etc lol . no $5 dollar water, any thing went . Now these days its more of a concert/ show. the trade off in my opinion is the cost of putting on the show. with the led screens lasers etc of course its going to cost more to put on said shows . while the kids today will never experience what i got to , i for one think that what they get to experience today is pretty awesome imo . i still go to lots of electronic shows and while i miss the underground for what it once was back then, its kinda nice that i know that the show will happen and that the show will be a laser/light show what i could have only have dreamed of back in my "raving"days.

its a catch 22 with the scene today. my first one was 1995. drop bass's annual 3 day party called even further at a campground here in wisconsin . over the years it was at a camp ground of ski hill or where ever. while it was basically just turntables and a strobe and a laser , the vibe and the feeling of the scene that the people brought was awesome. there was no jadedness that i kinda see with some of the kids today (not saying that everyone is like that of course ). basically hope that the permits were allowed and that the cops didn't show up and shut the music off at midnight etc lol . no $5 dollar water, any thing went . Now these days its more of a concert/ show. the trade off in my opinion is the cost of putting on the show. with the led screens lasers etc of course its going to cost more to put on said shows . while the kids today will never experience what i got to , i for one think that what they get to experience today is pretty awesome imo . i still go to lots of electronic shows and while i miss the underground for what it once was back then, its kinda nice that i know that the show will happen and that the show will be a laser/light show what i could have only have dreamed of back in my "raving"days.

What you just described there is what I do in the spring to fall now haha. I know a few people in a town about an hour or so away from where I live and they throw some sick ass underground raves in the woods around their town. All they bring out is DJ gear, speakers and a generator.. the last party they held before the winter they added a laser lol.

I love it when they throw their monthly parties and gladly drive the 90ish minutes to get there, hell I even DJ'd one which was pretty dope and they want me to DJ more xD

It's definitely a nice break from the $70+ dollar massives in Vancouver.

Also, seems like dubstep/trap has brought w it an influx of douchebags
what is trap?

Now these days its more of a concert/ show. the trade off in my opinion is the cost of putting on the show.
i hate the whole "show" part. it used to be all about the music, the crowd and the dancing. instead of cheering when the music/pills totally hit them, people now cheer when the dj raises his hands. it's more about seeing the dj and watching the visuals - being a consumer - instead of being a part in creating a communal experience.

what is trap?

i hate the whole "show" part. it used to be all about the music, the crowd and the dancing. instead of cheering when the music/pills totally hit them, people now cheer when the dj raises his hands. it's more about seeing the dj and watching the visuals - being a consumer - instead of being a part in creating a communal experience.
trap is basically 808 influenced "edm rap" as i call it lol .. the parties i went to were about the whole creating a communal experience and while I'm sure that it still happens , your really can't fault the kids for something that they haven't had the pleasure of knowing/experiencing . this is the scene that they are growing up with . it is what it is . the only way you can change that is throw your own parties . me I'm getting too old for searching out underground parties lol . so for me its kinda nice that i can go to a legit event and not have to worry about outrunning the cops etc . when am there i try to bring a little of that communal experience that once was. you know talk to peeps . find out their story, try to get to know them be friendly , help a person out . while it might not be what it was i can't live in the past. so i enjoy the present and enjoy what is in front of me

What you just described there is what I do in the spring to fall now haha. I know a few people in a town about an hour or so away from where I live and they throw some sick ass underground raves in the woods around their town. All they bring out is DJ gear, speakers and a generator.. the last party they held before the winter they added a laser lol.

I love it when they throw their monthly parties and gladly drive the 90ish minutes to get there, hell I even DJ'd one which was pretty dope and they want me to DJ more xD

It's definitely a nice break from the $70+ dollar massives in Vancouver.

its nice to see that people are still doing this :)

Trap seems to be taking over around detroit, some of it I like (kennedy jones is the shit) but most I dont... I miss the old hard house scene, which seems to have all but disappeared around here.
And I agree with Black , seems most people are at the shows because its the cool thing to do, and not for the music. I miss flowing with an entire crowd like it is one entity, the last 'rave' I was at I couldnt count how many times some drunk asshole just flat out slammed into me or shoved their way by me...I couldnt even get space to spin my photons (which highly irritated me) I think im done with the whole going out to shows thing , unless it is a dj I truely love, I have more fun jammin music at home with my girl and close friends

I have decided that I won't go to another show unless its at Red Rocks amphitheater. You can have the worst security, people, and DJs in the world and still have a stellar night at Red Rocks.

NSFW:
Global_Dance_Festival_Colorado_2012_Day-_3_July_22nd_LK_204.jpg

I think it REALLY matters on what kind of show is playing. You can go to a club two weeks in a row and have a SHIT time one night and an AMAZING time the next night all based on who is DJing that night. The larger events are usually going to bring the trap/dub/mosh crowds out, that's what they like. Smaller, ~300 person events typically only bring the more dedicated ravers. Not many people want to pay $20 for a ticket to a show they don't want to go to in the first place.

If you go see some big name dubstep/trap producer, you're likely going to be hearing dubstep and trap all night. I'm not sure why you'd expect anything different, lol. If you want the experience of the old days you'd need to be looking for the old school Hard Dance/Tech parties. That being said, I'm not so entirely sure that things are THAT much different these days. A lot of aspects have changed, but the basic idea is the same and people still go for the same reasons they used to. I'll agree that sitting down in a club all night taking instagram photos is a complete waste of the experience.. but I think the majority of party goers are still flocking down to the clubs to get fucked up, listen to music and share the fun with their friends :)

Trap seems to be taking over around detroit, some of it I like (kennedy jones is the shit) but most I dont... I miss the old hard house scene, which seems to have all but disappeared around here.
And I agree with Black , seems most people are at the shows because its the cool thing to do, and not for the music. I miss flowing with an entire crowd like it is one entity, the last 'rave' I was at I couldnt count how many times some drunk asshole just flat out slammed into me or shoved their way by me...I couldnt even get space to spin my photons (which highly irritated me) I think im done with the whole going out to shows thing , unless it is a dj I truely love, I have more fun jammin music at home with my girl and close friends

music comes and goes in cycles.. the same thing happened back around 2000/01 when electronic music was getting big. it wasn't as big as it is today though. i would see some "bros" at some parties ... hell i saw a little mosh pit at a josh wink show...who the hell does that at a josh wink show lol (that was around the early 2000) . the people that truly love this type of music will still be around when this current scene implodes.. which is in the process of happening

Does anyone else find themselves purposely seeking out parties that DON'T have any producers playing? I've found that for the most part regular DJ's keep me entertained and on my toes much more. I almost feel like most producers rely on the anthem/catalog crutch way too much while plain DJ's tend to try to wow their audience by finding those rare and obscure tracks. Maybe it's just me but my favorite sets are those that constantly make me think "what the fuck is this dude playing?? where did he find this?!?!? I MUST OWN THIS TRACK!!".. and then the feeling of finding the name of that track... after searching for years.. absolutely amazing.

For real though, If i wanted to hear 15 of your tracks i would just listen to your CD at home.

I've never been a fan of producer sets... Although I'd kill to see Shpongle live. *drool*

Maybe it's just me but my favorite sets are those that constantly make me think "what the fuck is this dude playing?? where did he find this?!?!? I MUST OWN THIS TRACK!!".. and then the feeling of finding the name of that track... after searching for years.. absolutely amazing.

I can relate with this 10000000%