The productions thread - Part III!

nice! Cool. Just wondering your process. Do you program your own drum tracks? Coming from a guitar background that is the thing I've found the most difficult.

my space:
QCHF3g8.jpg

nice! Cool. Just wondering your process. Do you program your own drum tracks? Coming from a guitar background that is the thing I've found the most difficult.

yea, programming drums , i don't find to be that difficult. they sorta just come along naturally during the process.

nice work on "ideas 2016" drum programming fits well with the guitar on it. i really like the keys you got going on, brings an emotional uplifting, care free vibe to it.

i especially like how you ended it, volume fades as the delay on the keys bounce... got me lost in the sounds.

when i look into buyin studio gear, i'll be asking questions :)

also i mentioned having like up to 30+ "versions" i save my tracks by numbers since i got this pc i'm at like 167 right now . but out of those 167 some are like 167_2 - 167_30 trying different drums, vst, flipping melodies etc. trying to pick out lil bits and create a new track around it, putting stuff in major/minor , scales, tempos, etc.

plus i recently just started saving my own presets with vsts like massive. duh LOL

i got that tip from "objekt" btw i still try to "follow" his mind set... interview @ https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/2319

"I'll usually save a new version before I make any drastic changes," he explains. "Often it'll sound like every five or six versions I've made some fairly major change. Like, I don't know, replacing half of the drums, or restructuring. Sometimes over the course of 20 or 30 versions, most stuff will be replaced and you won't hear much of the original in there any more."

Last edited:
Joe, re saving vst's - I'm not sure if/how a similar feature in flstudio might work, but in ableton you can also save drum racks by just dragging directly into a folder in the sidebar. Very handy.

Rick - what do you struggle with regarding drums?

Getting the feel I want with them mostly. I'm getting there with it but they sound pretty basic pattern wise a lot. I want to get that two step thing. not sure how

Joe, re saving vst's - I'm not sure if/how a similar feature in flstudio might work, but in ableton you can also save drum racks by just dragging directly into a folder in the sidebar. Very handy.

Rick - what do you struggle with regarding drums?

i have a feeling the newer version of FL studio has this feature. i'm in need of an upgrade, still working with a 6 year old version.

rick, if you mean those two step garage-y style drums found in UK production... this might be of help https://www.attackmagazine.com/technique/beat-dissected/rolling-2-step-garage/

Last edited:
Getting the feel I want with them mostly. I'm getting there with it but they sound pretty basic pattern wise a lot. I want to get that two step thing. not sure how

Check out Sonic Academy Kick / Kick 2. It's really easy to design nice clean, solid kicks, and the presets are very good starting points.

I tend to find that a lot of sample packs are pretty rubbish and seemingly made by people who aren't really up to the job of making samples. Plus they're just so rushed; it can be hard work finding a good kick which sounds right and fits, let alone one with no weird interference/dodgy frequencies. SA Kick solved this problem for me. It also took me along time to learn how useful it is to pitch high-hats etc up and down until they fit just right.

Thanks guys. Was thinking the kind of thing burial and fourtet use a lot. I think that is the 2 step. I'll check that stuff out.

nudging midi notes will help with the mechanic of sequenced drum parts, or have a go at a midi controller and record notes

i was watching this "burial" tutorial and the guy was layin down drums in ableton, so i'm scrollin through comments and i catch "why the fuck is your grid on you filthy casual" i LOL'd

rip mca. how ill are the beastie boys ? one of the illest groups of all time.

if anyone wants some beastie boys acapellas, get at me.

i'd like to link this post http://www.swedishsongs.de/smf/index.php?topic=3234.0

I'm sure many producers have done this very thing at different stages of their careers. Max's "secrets" are indeed laid bare for all to see if they want to take the time to observe certain patterns in his productions. However, it might be easier for you to figure out what's driving a guy like Max instead of focusing too much on the technicalities you may perceive in his finished catalogue; There is a certain type of inspiration that goes into the "writing" and melody process that you can't calculate with a formula because it would be simply too difficult for any human to consciously connect so many ideas in perfect harmony; meaning at some point you really do need to rely on the subconscious skills you've built to put some real flesh on that song bone.

Last edited:
^ i was thinking about that post " the subconscious skills you've built to put some real flesh on that song bone." anyone want to expand on the "skills" part ?

i have some free time till fall semester. gonna organize and look for some new sounds.

just post inspiring stuff . it would be cool if others share info related to production/inspo

from ASC

Nostalgia and its merits
I was finishing off a track earlier today and while it rendered, I had a search through some older work and had a listen. I tend to always move on to the next project as soon as the current one is done; I never rest on my laurels. While this is a healthy work ethic for me, I often forget about certain tracks I've finished. When I say forget, I mean in the sense of remembering a certain emotion they provoke, or how a particular melody line went. Upon rediscovering some older work, I often find myself questioning it and comparing it recent stuff. Earlier, I was sat thinking 'Wow! How did I do this?" or "Is my new stuff as good as this was?". It got me thinking to a piece I read on a similar topic which was written by Brian Eno. I'll link it here if you'd like to read it.

I imagine this must be a common outlook upon returning to older pieces of work, especially when nostalgia kicks in and you remember a certain time or place that a piece may take you back to. I agreed with Eno, but I think it was nice to come to the realisation myself, that it's not a bad thing to do this and question yourself in regards to your current work. If anything, it can only serve as a way of maintaining quality control on your output.

Anyway, just my incoherent thought for the day :)
http://theasc.blogspot.com/2014/08/nostalgia-and-its-merits.html

one production technique that I find is good is take a song or track, your favorite or something that stands up to repeat listens by a popular artist and just try to recreate it in a DAW from scratch, maybe even going so far as to figure out melodies or the key, etc. Compare the sonic fidelity to the original and see if you can come close. Listen to where stuff is panned to, how everything is EQ'd, maybe even read up on the production techniques that went into it.

The other one to get you out of your comfort zone was to sample everything live, use everything with live instrumentation. So if you need a kick, well ya gotta bang on something. Need a bass note? Maybe sample your voice making that bass noise. Record some utensils. Drop a heavy box from a high distance. Now try to make something decent out of it.

most definitely. as ricki mentioned like with drums, that ^ technique would be most useful to improving. i did that with those "snare rolls" that are popular in trap/rap. sample that section, put it in your DAW and just copy it. easy to memorize then for next time, and always along the way of recreating something, you take a detour then find something new.

brings to mind this article i linked awhile back, http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/01/02/bachs-holy-dread "Bach, who obsessively copied out other composers’ scores, became an absolute master of his art by never ceasing to be a student of it."

i'm super inspired by this. the tribal percussion is cool, and that squelchy synth, i wanna say reminds me of a 303 a bit. great energy behind it. i struggle with that, especially in more dance floor oriented tracks...

do tell me some about your inspirations, creative process... if you don't mind, especially with the quality of tunes, be interested to hear...

Hey man!
I've been thinkin about this for a bit..
Boards of Canada is no1 inspiration.
Thanks !! Love your words I'm gonna have to answer the creative proccess a bit later. head is jibber jabber right now.

Yes, ableton really is beautiful. I'm all about the aesthetics, and I really fucking love live running the skin I have. It actually looks like it might be the same skin as yours except you've got the hue turned up or something? Mine:

Skin link here.

Working on some nice prog at the moment (who'd have thought it? ;)). Proper oldschool vibe; tribal, deep and trancey. Apart from my psy-trance track I've currently got on hold (as I need more experience to finish it), this is the best track I've done to date, and probably going to be the first one I manage to properly finish. Production standard sounds up with all the old prog to my ears, although I might change my mind in about a week and suddenly hate it. =D Going to do a more modern, refined version once this is done.

Haha nice! Yeah its the same skin;
Audio Visual connecc.
Is the song rdy yet?

Check this out a l s o !.

.BALLET.

https://clyp.it/5hrl1rxt

I love drums!

YGMB9wF.jpg

Last edited:
so i was cleaning up my laptop today and found 2 tracks from '15-16 which i am pretty certain i never released publicly.
these are it
https://soundcloud.com/l4iik4/sets/unreleased

nice works. widescreen crystal clear distortion sprinkled with just a dash of optimism.

that's funny you mention cleaning up the laptop, i recently did a lil' cleaning as well on my desktop. of course starting anew, things don't come easy. soul crushing when nothing comes of it at first, have faith tho... the work always improves with patience and discipline.

Last edited:
thanks for listening joe and the encouragement.

looking forward to peep where ur at musically, have no gd interbet for a while tho <3