• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids The Opioid Withdrawal Megathread and FAQ

I am quitting a year long methadone habit and using gabapentin. Just wondering if I'm gonna have withdrawals from the gabapentin if i only use it for a week or so?

The methadone w/d can linger for awhile but Gabapentin use under 2 grams/day for a week usually does not cause more than a day or two of feeling a little off at the most. If it is compounded by the methadone w/d's it might be more perceivable though.

Thank u jekyll! Will i still need to taper off the gabapentin if i only take it for a week?

Some people are more sensitive to gabaergic drugs than others but at a week to say 10 days a taper shouldn't be required. Again if you are still raw from methadone w/d or still going through it, a 1-3 day taper should make it almost unnoticeable IME.
It never hurts to save a couple days worth of gabapentin until you know exactly how you will react to discontinuation and knowing you have it will make mild symptoms less anxiety provoking..

Jekyll, I have plenty of gabapentin... thank u for ur help! I am actually taking about 4.5 grams a day. Is that harmful?

It's getting way up there as far as therapeutic levels go. There are a lot of people that are able to function at that dosage but the side effect profile really begins to come into play. In my experience I've had mild tremor and ataxia from 6 grams a day for a fairly extended period. Another problem is at that level a withdrawal syndrome is much more likely to occur. Take a read of this thread for an idea of what you could possibly expect if you sustain that dose for longer than a week or so:
http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/448441-Gabapentin-withdrawal-any-advice

and this one:

https://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/813382-Gabapentin-withdrawal

and this person has taken 27g/12hrs:

https://www.bluelight.org/vb/thread...rom-high-dose-Gabapentin-use-during-opiate-WD

Last edited:
Well I've heard of people hitting 10g/day but not overnight. Usually it happens when one has a huge supply and tries chasing the effects they once got from the drug. As time goes by it is unsustainable as not only does it cause a litany of mental effects but also things like crazy diarrhea that 50 mg of loperamide can't stop. After about 2.5g/ day the therapeutic effect wanes and the efficacy drops in relation to side effects. As for myself I notice I don't enjoy cannabis when I'm on too much GP. Not to mention the dependency that develops at the higher doses.

Check out the links above because we are kind of derailing this thread away from opioid withdrawal. Good Luck..

Last edited:
As for myself I notice I don't enjoy cannabis when I'm on too much GP.

How exactly does the gabapentin affect your cannabis use so that it's no longer enjoyable??
I'm curious bc I am prescribed gabapentin(600mg's 4 x day) AND Marinol(as well as cannabis buds and homemade cannabis capsules) and I often have a hard time enjoying the benefits of the cannabis products. After reading your post I now wonder if this could be partly because of the gabapentin.

A big problem with Gabapentin is that 90% of it was prescribed for off label use which has lessened but still persists to this day.. Here is an excerpt from a pfizer marketing director:
I want you out there every day selling Neurontin… holding their hand, whispering in their ear, Neurontin for pain, Neurontin for monotherapy, Neurontin for bipolar, Neurontin for everything.

I don’t want to see a single patient coming off Neurontin before they’ve been up to at least 4,800 milligrams a day. http://www.counterpunch.org/2007/02/23/the-neurontin-suicides/
They had to settle for illegal marketing programs by paying a $430 million fine but sales for 2003 were $2.7 billion. Pfizer decided to continue it's marketing strategy and absorb any fines to keep sales high. Pretty shady.

@JBrown: I just don't feel right when I combine over a gram of GP and cannabis. Sometimes I get panicky on mellow strains and other times I just don't enjoy the high, even with great medical buds. I wish I could explain it better.

Last edited:
Hi, I relapsed yesterday (300mg codeine 1 time), I didn't really had choice (important work obligation and I wasn't 100% to say the least). I was at day 12 and I don't plan to resume use at all (I'm even more determined to stop as my intake dulled my emotion for 8 hours, a thing that I was happy to have regained thru the process. I liked the feeling but hated how he made me. Over sociable, too familiar. I don't like that). Today I'm a bit more depressed, but do you think I'm back to square one ? I bet it's a matter of 1 or 2 day to regain where I was at day 12 ?

Smoked some bowl at the night and experienced extreme guilt due to this relapse... But at the same time composing with normal life & withdrawal is near impossible

PS : no need to lecture, I know I don't need to be 100% all the time but when you are at less than 50% and need to do something really important... You get the point

I just wan't my life back, and myself through the process if it's possible

Last edited:
No_id if you ever want to quit the drugs and recover you will need to learn to forgive yourself.

As far as starting over at day one the answer is two fold. Yes, you are now on day one of sobriety, that's just how that works. I'm sorry. You are not on day one of recovery though. You don't go through withdrawals for one time use. It's not like you are starting back at square one. Forgive yourself and pick up where you left off. No one is perfect.

Thx for your kind words. I think there is moment in life where you need to be hard on yourself... Look addict forum, they all got to the stage "no need to be hard one day at a time"... Then relapsed, and stuff.... There need to be change, I don't wan't that my last thought while being on this planet to be "Oh, I should have resumed intake forever and that's all"... I wan't my life back, my passions back, my hobbies back, my normal hapinness back and the way for getting all that was like days 1-11 of my WD process. I can take being a bit hard on myself if it mean kick this fucking addiction. In all Ive probably 1 year of use (distributed in 2 years), now I really wan't it to stop. I already kicked subutex (far worst than my 2 day / 3 codein habit after sub) and never looked back.

Perhaps I'm only on a "process", a stage of the addiction but I hope this process is not being confronted to opiates everydays, now it need to stop

Relapse will be a part of life (like every passion coming back), but if they can happen only every 3 years, I can call this a life still

The stuff Ive hard time to forgive about myself is why the heck I relapsed the first time, months after an epic WD from heroin... (never looked back for heroin, thought)

I get idea of "this come from my parents" and stuff (who never let me having second chance, or perhaps even no one chance, wich explain at the end why Im hard on myself and why when I feel free I do all kind of shit).... But at this moment I feel like this reasonning is the beginning of neurosis more than a solution. I'm a bit extreme but I'm really annoyed by all that

Last edited:
Thx for your kind words. I think there is moment in life where you need to be hard on yourself... Look addict forum, they all got to the stage "no need to be hard one day at a time"... Then relapsed, and stuff.... There need to be change, I don't wan't that my last thought while being on this planet to be "Oh, I should have resumed intake forever and that's all"... I wan't my life back, my passions back, my hobbies back, my normal hapinness back and the way for getting all that was like days 1-11 of my WD process. I can take being a bit hard on myself if it mean kick this fucking addiction. In all Ive probably 1 year of use (distributed in 2 years), now I really wan't it to stop. I already kicked subutex (far worst than my 2 day / 3 codein habit after sub) and never looked back.

Perhaps I'm only on a "process", a stage of the addiction but I hope this process is not being confronted to opiates everydays, now it need to stop

Relapse will be a part of life (like every passion coming back), but if they can happen only every 3 years, I can call this a life still

The stuff Ive hard time to forgive about myself is why the heck I relapsed the first time, months after an epic WD from heroin... (never looked back for heroin, thought)

I get idea of "this come from my parents" and stuff (who never let me having second chance, or perhaps even no one chance, wich explain at the end why Im hard on myself and why when I feel free I do all kind of shit).... But at this moment I feel like this reasonning is the beginning of neurosis more than a solution. I'm a bit extreme but I'm really annoyed by all that

I apologize but I couldn't understand what you were saying in the underlined portions of your post. I'm guessing English isn't your first language and that's perfectly fine, it's just that I would like to be able to help/understand you better, and that starts with me being able to know what you are trying to type.

I REALLY hope I'm not coming off as rude bc I DEFINITELY don't mean to be. I really just want to be able to understand you and then potentially help you...or even learn from your experience.

Yes sorry I writed that in a hurry (and yes I'm french).

I don't know how to explain that but I'm a bit annoyed to see all the stage addict seem to go in, with no resolution of the problem. I hope doing my way.... Not in the same way, I wan't to end this for good, and not thinking idiocy in 10 years while continuously relapsing and having a mind 100% obsessing on opiates even in sober periods

Don't worry, I'm sure you will be fine. Think of it like this. You are with the love of your life. You love this girl with your heart and soul. You find out she that she's cheating on you and you leave her. You are broken hearted and she is all you can think about so you try to work things out (relapse). Well you find out that you just can't be happy with her so you break up with her again.

Hopefully you get what I'm saying there. It makes sense in my head anyway lol. You aren't going to get over losing the love of your life in 14 days, it's just not going to happen but you will eventually get over her and move in to something greater.

The one thing you have to remember to keep you away from her is that no matter how good the sex is in that moment she is still a lying cheating bitch that will make you miserable.

The one thing you have to remember to keep you away from her is that no matter how good the sex is in that moment she is still a lying cheating bitch that will make you miserable.

Well said GM. Opioids are a cruel mistress when you try to leave them. (les opioïdes sont une maîtresse cruelle lorsque vous essayez de les laisser)

Well boys and girls I'm getting to the point that I wake up in the morning in slight withdrawals. This is not ok. I began to taper today and was sneezing like a mofo by 6pm. Time for some detox because damn that.