• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids The Opioid Withdrawal Megathread and FAQ

Hello, I've got a question regarding Buprenorphine:

I have used Opiates (mostly Tramadol, Tilidin and Kratom) for a few years now at low and normal doses. But never on consecutive days or longer periods.
Now I've taken 0,5-1mg Buprenorphine every second day for about one and a half week which was stupid because the long halflife starts kicking my ass.

Basically after two days I have mild w/d symptoms in the morning like running nose, sneezes and a brainfuck of bad thoughts. I want to stop when my last 4mg are gone so how bad is it gonna be? Since I never used two days or more in a row, compared to other habits this may sound pretty whinish but I am mentally hooked and don't want to become really physically too :/

I have some Gabapentin at hand for help but I'd appreciate any input on how to manage the wd and especially how to stay away in the future.

Originally Posted by rwmartin

I'll preface this post by saying I'm partly ashamed and embarrassed that I've gotten myself into this place of panicking about either going into serious withdrawals or having some kind of panic attack - which I got myself into because of carelessness - now that I've said this I'll post my question.
I've been taking (via snorting) 40 mg Opana ER over the past month - usually using 4 - 5 pills per day. I'm going to come to the end of my Rx and for some reason today I'm feeling a little sick and I'm hoping someone with good experience and knowledge will read this and provide me with advice as soon as possible.
It's 5pm here in NY and I've snorted two pills so far today. I'm feeling slightly like I'm going into withdrawals - like tingling down my upper spine, a bit groggy, generally out-of-it, but no other apparent usual withdrawal symptoms. I have been pretty much inactive for the past few days and today after sitting around maybe thinking and obsessing too much about how I could run out before I will be able to get more of this Rx, I made myself go for a walk because it felt like I was going to have a panic attack - which I have never had before so not sure what is going on.
Now I only have 20 pills left (with a possibility of getting a new Rx of 10 mg Opana ER if the pharma fills this - not sure since this Rx I'm on won't be refillable till 7/15). If I'm unable to get that new Rx filled which will definitely help me not go into withdrawals - can someone tell me what I can do to ease this panicky feeling I'm having now? And what dosage should I take of the remaining 20 pills of the 40 mg Opana ER to keep me going till 7/15 (which is 12 days away) or if I want to taper down and stop completely? Any constructive/productive help here would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry for the long post - wanted to be thorough and complete. Lastly - I take Mirtazapine 45 mg (Remeron) once per day as an anti depressant - in case you know of any indications there.
Please letmeknow how the detox went after being on opana. That is what I am on plus 15mg. oxy 4X day. I'm afraid to detox but I need to for a job. I usedto snort my opanas but now the new formula sucks so I am trying different methods. Please IM me and let me know how you are doing. AND what you did to get off the opanas, if you did. Thanks.

I'm trying to help my brother thru his withdrawal from heroin.its pretty bad as he's been shooting up to 5 grams per day.please what can I do to help.he took 2strips but even tho he waited) 32hours before tking it hezstill puking,restless legsfreezing

wondering about w/d

I have been off of opiates for 2 days now and I am taking vitamins and immodium like crazy. Seems like if I drink the immodium I instantly feel a little calmer. I was just wondering if the immodium is prolonging the w/d's. When I stop taking the immodium will I still feel like garbage?

Thanks in advance for the help.

How long have you been on them to be off them two days? cold turkey? I think ive heard that immodium has some similar effects on a receptor that binds the opiate to a part of the brain and thats how it works, but i personally dont take immodium to taper off i take other things, vitamins are good to take but if you really want one that really helps with the withdrawal passionflower extract helped me to go down half of the ammount of pills i was taking which is a big deal... passionflower which is in liquid form. It really works.

Interesting link Zoey

the passiflora plus clonidine group showed a significant superiority over clonidine alone in the management of mental symptoms

Yeah. I'm going to research this drug more. If it can relieve pain and cut down on my med use that would be awesome.

About every 2-3 weeks my pain becomes uncontrolable. I can not take more medication.

If I ever do run out or want to stop on my own I now have a fairly safe drug to use to combat wd's.

I never knew clondine had any recreational use or benifited wd's until I found BL.

The first time I went off of Norco was horrible. I was taking about 15-20 at a time. My tolerance was so high I needed that much to feel good and not have any w/d symptoms. I had everything from runny nose, vomiting and horrible diarrhea. My legs hurt so bad I couldn't even move. I was getting cold sweats and bad anxiety. I actually went to the emergency room and was precribed clonidine and xanax which helped soooooo much. Clonidine is a god send. I also took immodium which helped w the diarrhea. I couldn't sleep for about 3 days and couldn't eat for about 6 days. I lost maybe 15lbs...which made me look anorexic because I didn't weigh a lot to begin with. I finally started feeling better after about 2 weeks. My second time coming off the norcos was a lot better. But I was only on them for 2 weeks so I just had the runs and anxiety. This time I also had clonidine right away and Nucynta. I know everyone is different when it comes to w/d, but for me clonidine and xanax helped tremendously. Its also good to have a dr who understands what you are going through and wants to help. Im back on the Norco as of today(bad I know!) So im hoping when I get off of them again for the 3rd time it wont be too bad. My dr has me on the tapering method but if course being an addict and having a bunch of pills in front of you fucks with your head so I always ended up taking more. I honestly didn't think the mental aspect would be so bad. I still get cravings for them even though my body doesn't "need" them anymore. I loves the euphoria I got from the pills and just how happy I was all the time. Not to mention how motivated they got me. If anyone has any questions I would love to try and help.

How long have you been on them to be off them two days? cold turkey? I think ive heard that immodium has some similar effects on a receptor that binds the opiate to a part of the brain and thats how it works, but i personally dont take immodium to taper off i take other things, vitamins are good to take but if you really want one that really helps with the withdrawal passionflower extract helped me to go down half of the ammount of pills i was taking which is a big deal... passionflower which is in liquid form. It really works.

I am not a hardcore user...about 5-6 a day but for about 6-7 years with a small break inbetween and during that break I had horrible w/d. But for some reason now my w/d's aren't that bad and I am wondering if it is the immodium taking the place of opiates and when I stop taking the immodium I will go into w/d again. That is what I am very concerned about. I will go buy some passionflower though, just in case. Thank you so much for the help!!

Great post, amapola.

Does anyone experienced having a strange body smell while withdrawing?

When I used to go through it, I'd notice a weird B.O. and always had to shower and change clothes.

Ohh, I know what your talking about . Dude I would wake up some mornings and my pillow and sheets were soaked like they just came out the laundry. Basically, the humidy from the wetness and your body heat produces a ripe environment for germs/bacteria growth, which, in turn, produce that awful B.O. smell. It kinda sticks and your really need like a bath not just a shower b/c of the bacteria. Plus your sheets.bed needs to be washed off or sprayed with anti-bacterial disinfectant , or fabreeze , but only the anti-bacterial fabreeze.

I am not a hardcore user...about 5-6 a day but for about 6-7 years with a small break inbetween and during that break I had horrible w/d. But for some reason now my w/d's aren't that bad and I am wondering if it is the immodium taking the place of opiates and when I stop taking the immodium I will go into w/d again. That is what I am very concerned about. I will go buy some passionflower though, just in case. Thank you so much for the help!!

Nah cessation of Immodium wont throw you back into W/D. the opioid in it only acts on the stomach and does not cross the blood-brain barrier . SO you wont W/D.

Last edited:
I have a question regarding how bad my withdrawal is going to be.
For the past two or three months, I've been IVing once daily. Was doing it a few times a week before that. The amount has been the same, roughly 1/4th of a gram.
Since I am now out of town, I tried packing three preloaded syringes before I left, with about 1/10th of a gram in each one. My first two days out of town, I already used them all.. I have to go another 7 days without.
Will I be able to enjoy my vacation at all, or will I be withdrawaling the entire week?
Thanks for the help!

I have a question regarding how bad my withdrawal is going to be.
For the past two or three months, I've been IVing once daily. Was doing it a few times a week before that. The amount has been the same, roughly 1/4th of a gram.
Since I am now out of town, I tried packing three preloaded syringes before I left, with about 1/10th of a gram in each one. My first two days out of town, I already used them all.. I have to go another 7 days without.
Will I be able to enjoy my vacation at all, or will I be withdrawaling the entire week?
Thanks for the help!

yea, it sounds like most likely you will have some W/D's. Sorry, buddy. I am actually 4 days clean. Maybe you can find some dope in the area you are in.

Well first, congrats on being 4 days clean!
Unfortunately I'm almost 20 hours away from home, with my family. Unless Harry Potter World sells dope right next to their butterbeers, I'm probably not gonna be able to score around here, lol.
Do you think it'll be very bad withdrawals? Oh man, I've never withdrawaled before. This is terrifying.

^hahaha, harry potter world.

Don't worry man, it's mostly psychological so don't be worrying hardcore about withdrawal or it will be worse than it really is. Lose that anxiety, it'll be fine :)

^hahaha, harry potter world.

Don't worry man, it's mostly psychological so don't be worrying hardcore about withdrawal or it will be worse than it really is. Lose that anxiety, it'll be fine :)
Well that makes me feel a little better! I rarely get normal sick anyways, so I'm hoping the worst I get is achey legs, that's really the only symptom I've ever gotten. I guess if I'm gonna withdrawal, there's no better place to do it than on the beach! Lol.

Gabapentin combined with a bong hit sparingly.Has proved to me, to be a amazing combination for physical WD effects and especially the "mental anguish" aspect. Just a half a pill,and it almost felt at times like i was taking my oxy...

It works awesome and makes things bearable,I got Gabapentin from a friend just by chance.And now i will be ordering more from the web.For those difficult days ,that sometimes arrive.....Best part about it...Its cheap and its not an opiate.....

Well first, congrats on being 4 days clean!
Unfortunately I'm almost 20 hours away from home, with my family. Unless Harry Potter World sells dope right next to their butterbeers, I'm probably not gonna be able to score around here, lol.
Do you think it'll be very bad withdrawals? Oh man, I've never withdrawaled before. This is terrifying.

yes, So by that comment i am guessing you are in the Orlando, FL area. I am sure they got a hood somewhere out there. But also, in FL there are mad pain clinics and typically people who hang around outside the clinic sell there prescription opiates to people who can not gain access to the clinic. Florida is fully of Rx opiates.

or go to the front desk at the hotel and asking if a guest name Mr. H-E-R-O-I-N is staying there j/k

I think weed should be stricken from the list of "debatable" drugs to switch onto. While it probably is just switching one dependency for another there are studies that show it potentates opiates as well as many people who have quit opiates thanks to medical cannabis access.