• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the official 2011-12 college football thread! part 1 ver. WHERE IS SMOTPOKER??

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, I think so. that's the one about all the short stories, right? (too lazy to Google atm, too much alcohol over the weekend). I do like some DFW, but he is the most pretentious author I've ever read

is your point on the short story about the Iowa state fair? see, I live in the Eastern M-W, which is far more awesome than the sprawling corn fields out there (think motown and automobile industry)

sure, humanity is alarming - but I think if one attends any State Fair, bloodcurdling people are everywhere (even in the South lol). need I post the pic of the FL Gator fan with the epic mullet?

brah, you were talking about Midwestern women. That book is full of short stories about midwestern women. just going with the flow know what i mean? ;) it appears southern women commit suicide and make dresses out of curtains. midwestern women eat till they puke and let carnies look up their skirts.

that's kewl, I'll have to check it out once again. I remember it being the more easily accessible of his works

but does anyone think that Cam Newton can be a successful NFL QB? will he be better or worst than Tim Tebow?

I don't see him being that good, perhaps a little worst off than Vince Young. I don't think Cam can bank on him throwing a 5 yard pass and then having his receiver run for 20 yards in the NFL

it does suck for Cam Newton, though. Cam is taking a major pay-cut by foregoing his senior season at Auburn and entering the NFL draft!!

... but your awesome sundress-clad harem of whores comes with a price - you have to deal with the thick Southern frat fucks. with their whack-ass ties (who wears a tie to a football games, you fags?

Yeah, ties are for fags. The cool southerners wear jorts. (Something I'll never live down from one of my meet ups with Crow in ATL years back :\ ).

^ gay sports bars are hilariously awesome. I went to one down in Austin

today earns a grand amount of reflection and speculation, for a Buckeyes fan

this very day ten years ago, former Youngstown State Penguin multi-national championship Coach Jim Tressel, made his first public appearance donning the scarlet and grey for an Ohio State basketball game against our bitter rivals, the University of M*ch*gan

this very day ten years ago, Jim Tressel proclaimed with pride that That School Up North would lose to the Buckeyes that next scheduled game. this very day ten years ago, marks the beginning of the success-laden tenure of Coach Tressel with the Buckeyes

it has been a great decade, led under Ohio's beloved Governor. in the current world of college football there are assholes (Magino for Kansas lol) and heartless assholes (Nick Saban for Bama lol), but Coach Tressel is a true coach that stands for character

and winning football games. during Tressel's Ohio State experience, there has been a National Championship, a Heisman trophy winner, and the most BCS wins achieved by any coach. sure, his impressive decade is marred by two losses in the National Championship game, I don't think many other teams in the past ten years have fared as well as the Ohio State Buckeyes

who are the other most successful schools in this past decade? I guess signs point towards USCw and Florida

Florida has been spectacular, with two National Championships and a Heisman trophy winner. however, if you look at them in the past decade, they still are under the helm of Coach Ron Zook for a couple of those years, until he got demoted to Big Ten's Illinois - a team that revels in a season when their team can breath slightly above mediocrity (a baffling fact considering that the school still gets some NFL recruits)

and USCw? Pete "Gay Bar" Carroll was perhaps more successful than Coach Tressel, but a CFB historian has to take in account that some of those accolades can not be officially considered. also, USC plays in the not-as-impressive Pac Ten. and I know some doubters can discredit the Big Ten; it is banal to delegate the Big Ten under the Pac Ten in this past decade

so what other team in the past decade would you say has also experienced the same amount of success, or more, as tOSU, USCw, and FLA?

regarding your tressel handjob:
nobody-cares.jpg

alright let me pull the discussion in a way an SEC fan can ascertain:

herp I reckon Cam Newton derp is gonna be the 1st first round pick this year thoughts lol derp?

doubt it, given how little they're talking about the "possibly serious" back injury he sustained in the NC.

damn. it looked bad but not too bad. usually I just brush off those last-game injuries because I'm all like 'well they have a whole lot of time to heal up"

TP hurt his foot during his last couple plays in the Sugar Bowl, and I was all like "well at least he has the first five games off"

I don't think you realize how closely the combine inspects you, or how much it can affect your chances of being drafted. Add to that his unfamiliarity/inability to run an NFL offense, and you could be looking at someone drafted WAAY down low. In that light, taking money from Auburn boosters might have been an even smarter move.

Also, have you ever had a catastrophic joint injury? Back, knee, shoulder, hip, and elbow problems stay with you for the rest of your life once they're inflicted on you. :\

I don't think you realize how closely the combine inspects you

I've never closely inspected this, yeah, but I'm sure it does play a factor

Also, have you ever had a catastrophic joint injury? Back, knee, shoulder, hip, and elbow problems stay with you for the rest of your life once they're inflicted on you. :\

thankfully in all the sports I have ever played I have never been injured once... a very amazing fact

wow! - from NPR

Opened in 1922 and currently able to handle more 100,000 fans, Ohio Stadium in Columbus, Ohio, is a sight to behold. It's almost as amazing as the Lego replica sitting in Paul Janssen's basement.

The 42-year-old Ohio State University professor tells NPR's Robert Siegel on All Things Considered what it was like to build the horseshoe-shaped stadium out of 1 million Lego pieces. Built at a scale of 1:120, it took years of planning, collecting pieces and building to complete the project.

The mini-stadium can seat only 6,000 Lego people — that's thanks to issues of scale, not Janssen's work.

janssen-legos-stadium.jpg

and

janssen-legos-scoreboard_custom.jpg

Ever wonder why the SEC has so much depth at every position?

It's no surprise when they oversign recruits and then boot them out and take their scholarship away in a shady manner.

See for yourself, the numbers don't lie.

www.oversigning.com

I wish when the eSECpn analyists talk about the depth in the SEC they would mention this as well. Oh well, I guess when you have a agenda to push like espn you gotta be careful not to show people the truth.

Edit: I should note the SEC East is pretty good about not conducting this shady practice. So kudos to most of them. And UGA has a lot of backers fearful that if Coach Richt gets fired, a coach who is strongly against promising a student an education then taking it away, the new coaching regime will take up the dishonorable practice of oversigning to keep up with Alabama. I'm not sure how serious the talk is, but there is some light chatter about UGA leaving the SEC to play in a conference who cares more about the student aspect of being a student athlete.

At any point, interesting stuff.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how serious the talk is, but there is some light chatter about UGA leaving the SEC to play in a conference who cares more about the student aspect of being a student athlete.

pfffft-- source from within the organization, or some guy on a uga blog. 8(

Last edited:
pfffft-- source from within the organization, or some guy on a uga blog. 8(

Like I said i wouldn't read too much into this, but go to the link I provided and it's the entry for January 8th.

Interestingly, shady oversigning is the reason GT left the SEC as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.