• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the official 2010-11 college football thread! ver. Auburn VS Oregon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
you're a Pac-10 fan, amirite? and TP entirely smoked your crown jewel (Oregon) in the Rose Bowl. although the score was a little close the yardage gap was insanely favorable to OSU.

I will get back to the latter half of the article tomorrow. I don't think Peyton Manning is the best football player ever, but one could say he is the most talented of all QBs playing right now, with little argument. just imagine if he had an all-around GOOD team (like Steelers, Patriots, Ravens, etc... ). there would be no stopping him having 3 rings right now

Hooray Axl...your team actually won a big bowl game. It's just too bad it was against Oregon, a team that had already shown a penchant last season to be bed shitters. See the Boise State game, a game in which they were dominated thoroughly. I'll chalk it up to Chip Kelly's inexperience in being a head coach in big games outside the conference. Of course, let's not talk about how OSU got swept by USC in their home and home...

And I don't really consider Oregon a "crown jewel" though they are currently leading the pac. Their style of play always has me worried because I find it too gimmicky. There's going to be a time where getting behind by a lot will burn them, and teams will find a way to slow down the hyper offense scheme. I guess it's fun to watch, but I'm always cautious about propping them up. I don't really like Chip Kelly, but he has a chance to prove my worries are for not this season if they can run the table.

As for the Manning article, I guess I found the particular quotes you took and your reaction to them misleading in the sense that I feel like KY Joyner does respect Manning's abilities, but doesn't like his persona on and off the field. Obviously he prefers (in 2007) a Favre or a Brady over Manning, but my issue with comparing this article with the one about Pryor remains. They're two different kinds of articles.

And to the Georgia fan getting a laugh from this UCLA fan...well buddy, future conference doormat Colorado laughs at you and we'll see how that Oregon home and home goes in a few years. Glad your team is starting to step up in the non-conference realm...even though next season's Louisville, Coastal Carolina, and New Mexico State lineup (all at home) isn't exactly challenging.

sing it, brother.

hey... the SEC is having a down year because they will not be sending anyone to the NCG. however, as I pointed out, they still have very good parity. that's nothing to be ashamed of.

I'd take the Beavers over Florida this year. Nothing I've seen this season can tell me the Gators are better.

you're crazy... the Florida defense would raep.

Hooray Axl...your team actually won a big bowl game. It's just too bad it was against Oregon...
And I don't really consider Oregon a "crown jewel"

I have a feeling OSU will be winning many many times in the future of the BCS Bowl games and even National Championship... as long as they are not playing an SEC team ;) I truly don't think Pryor can be stopped by any defense (maybe a BAMA). the matchup of TP against a Pac-10 "defense" (if you can call them that) would be hilarious... again.

and I don't understand how you want us to take the Pac-10 seriously, but you say that the team that won the conference last year and this year is really not that good. who else, then? Stanford? they aren't as good as they were last year.

who else, then? I don't really think anybody in the Pac-10 besides the two are even close to be contenders....

Because I don't want to work right now...thought his post is complete fodder, as we're too early into conference play to read much out of the rankings.

Top teams in each BCS conference >right now< and who *I* think is better

(not my ranking, but their conference records right now, and ties of those I broke with top 25 rankings)
Code:
[B][U]Conf	-	#1	#2	#3	#4	#5	#6[/U][/B]
ACC	-	FSU	VT	GT	MD	NCST	MIA
BigE	-	SYR	RUT	WVU	LOU	CIN	PIT
Big10	-	tOSU	MSU	IA	PUR	WISC	MICH
Big12	-	NEB	OU	OSU	MIZZ	TX	KAN
PAC10	-	ORE	OSU	STAN	AZ	CAL	WASH
SEC	-	AUB	LSU	USCe	AL	FLA	ARK

Top team (ie, best #1 team....best #2 team...etc - IMO, of course):
  • #1 tOSU - it pains me, but at this point, I'd have to give the nod - but I want to put AUB there, but would consider NEB just as much as AUB

• #2 MSU - damn, I have to put Big10+2 in both these top spots? Yes, better than flakey Miles at LSU and Oklahoma's iffyness

• #3 STAN - I think it's close with USCe, but on nuetral ground would nod to STAN

• #4 AL - without a doubt (no other #4 team is worth putting on the field with Bama)

• #5 FLA - over WISC and TX on a nuetral field...but I'm not real strong on this pick

• #6 ARK - I don't think MICH (no defense, and up against an SEC defense) or MIA (better than MICH, but not good enough) could do it against ARK

Now, if you threw in BSU and TCU into the #1 mixup, I might actually be tempted to place one of those over tOSU....but I still don't want them in the NC :p

Last edited:
And...because I can't leave this thread (it seems)....

I don't hold much water on college players with NFL potential, I view NCAA as it's own entity, and can accept (even embrace) a great 'College' player who isn't 'NFL' material for what he's worth. So, speculation on who would make a better pro is fairly irrelevant to the NCAAF world, IMO.

That said, I don't see TP or Jacory going pro early, and in fact I don't believe either will do that well at the NFL level. Dispute, discuss, delight....your thoughts on the hypothesis. :) Any other players that are 'ok' in college that will do well in the NFL, or others that are college studs but probably won't make it? There are givens like Ingram and Richardson, who (IMO) will do well in the NFL, so let's take the obvious off the table and ask about the upside down players - good at one level but not so much at the other.

despite having some rough patches, Florida is still a team that's a worthy opponent.

and I don't understand how you want us to take the Pac-10 seriously, but you say that the team that won the conference last year and this year is really not that good. who else, then? Stanford? they aren't as good as they were last year.

who else, then? I don't really think anybody in the Pac-10 besides the two are even close to be contenders....

qft

I hope tOSU gets Oregon in the National Championship. it would be nice to do some good raping again. say what you want about the Buckeyes, but at least they have a defense that is consistently good. something that the Pac-10 has no idea about (save USCw when they were good).

I wish TP wouldn't even pass the ball, he is just unstoppable at the run. sure it sacrifices our better-than-average running back duo, but winning is winning.

I don't think that TP will be going to the pros this year. instead of choosing a gimmicky offense in Oregon or Michigan, he chose tOSU because he wanted to run a pro-style offense that is seen in most NFL offenses. sure, it sacrifices a lot yardage that he would gain in these types of offenses, but he wants to be a pro quarterback.

however, I don't see TP as a pro QB, as much as he wishes he could be one. I think he is destined to be an NFL wide out.

I pretty much agree with your standings, TLB. but making Miami the sixth best team in the ACC? damn, that's pretty harsh. but FSU does look good and GT has been running the ball all over the place again (this is what happens when you only really run four offensive plays and don't pass the ball, though).

I'm happy to see people not affiliated with the Midwest give Michigan State some love. they truly look solid on all aspects of the ball.

I think you're mistaken putting Purdue in front of Wisco, I think Wisco also is a decent football team in all aspects of the game.

I would also take USCe for the #3 spot.

I'm pretty nervous about the Buckeyes visiting Happy Valley, WI. it's always a tough place to play, and again these middle tier teams get such a boner when tOSU comes into town. it would make their season to beat us... however, I think tOSU gets out with a win in a close one

Are you going to tell me Boise State and TCU are not better than Florida this year? Oregon State hung tough against both of them in what was essentially two road games. They can play with anyone, Florida included. Put them on a neutral field and I like the Beavers' chances.

I'm not asking anyone here to "take the Pac-10 seriously" because I shouldn't need to. If anyone knows anything about college football, they know the Pac-10 is a tough conference, arguably the toughest to go undefeated in as history has shown. You talk about parity not being a bad thing, well in essence the history of Pac-10 football is littered with parity, which some claim is a detriment to its strength whereas I contend it's always been a case for why it is a strong conference.

Yes, Ohio State beat Pac-10 champion Oregon. Congrats. They also lost to 5th place USC in their own backyard. Parity my friend.

Oh and I didn't realize Oregon had already won the conference Axl. Hahah. In regards to "contenders"...well we'll just have to wait and see. I don't know how this season is going to end. I can tell you one thing though...I'll take the top 9 (minus Wazzu for now since they suck but have shown some life recently) of the Pac-10 over any other top 9 in any other conference right now...not that it really means anything of course...I prefer real results than hypothetical arguments.

As for trying to compare conferences by standing now...c'mon TLB. You know you can do better, even if you don't want to do real work right now. ;) I mean really, we're at best just 3 games into the league schedule here in the Pac-10. A lot can (and likey will) change.

Oregon is going to win the Pac-10, this is basically a fact. the only team standing in their way was Stanford

Miami needs to lose more this season. Team is loaded with talent but held back by poor coaching and a lack of leadership. Shannon needs to go, and I fear him winning out will leave us devoid of titles.

And I hope Boise doesn't make it to the NC, that will fuck up our plans of making a run at Peterson at the end of the year. Need to get him before somebody else picks him up.

Miami needs to lose more this season. Team is loaded with talent but held back by poor coaching and a lack of leadership. Shannon needs to go, and I fear him winning out will leave us devoid of titles.

And I hope Boise doesn't make it to the NC, that will fuck up our plans of making a run at Peterson at the end of the year. Need to get him before somebody else picks him up.

+1 on Shannon keeping you devoid of titles.

+1 on Peterson ought be grabbed up by now :\

+1 on Shannon keeping you devoid of titles.

+1 on Peterson ought be grabbed up by now :\

Just imagine how scary a Peterson led Miami team would be. Nobody is better at finding talent under rocks and getting his boys fired up like he is. The rest of the country would shit their pants.

Jesus.....I hadn't thought far enough ahead to see him with an arsenal of talented players. He'll kill whatever conference he lands in if it's a program with good recruiting. And even if it isn't, if it is a BCS conference (ie, high media coverage), he'll be able to recruit the funk out of it and build the program. Just for grins - where do you think he'd go? It kinda depends on what positions open up, and how attractive it can be for him. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking

SEC:
UGA - perhaps too much pressure where 8-10 wins isn't enough, but is hard to get in this conference. Good recruiting, great media, but I think it's not set up for any coach to come in and succeed - not with the competition they'd face year in and year out. I do think Peterson could make UGA compete for the SEC East every year, but I don't know if getting there would stress him out too much, and if being 'almost there but not always winning it' would be acceptable to the fan base.

BigE:
Not sure which jobs would be opening up. Plus, the conference is generally viewed as 'weaker'. Not the best recruiting base, but again Peterson's name ought to draw in the talent. Easy path to the BCS games, good money. I'd just be a little concerned that the conference hasn't positioned itself to stay amongst the BCS automatics, and they may be hanging the conference's name on him alone (similar to what they did for WVU a bit, then Rutgers for a year or two, and they continue to struggle for a 'top tier' program to claim :\ ). I'd say no, because while the path is easier to the NC, the long term prospect of the conference isn't promising.

Big10+2:
ILL - Zooker is on borrowed time. But, is ILL the type of place Peterson would want to be? Weather doesn't bother him, and this would provide a conference where he can probably get some of the best recruiting (of the conference, may take a little for 'his name' to get national recruiting coming in) as well as a solid 8-10 win season consistently and that would be a great step up for that particular program. Hmmm...maybe.

ACC:
UNC - Butch is going to be hammered, but the ACC does provide fertile grounds for recruiting and winning a lot. I suppose it might depend upon how much the NCAA comes down on the program as Butch leaves.
MIA - Just signed Shannon to a 4 yr extension, so I imagine it would be very hard to get him out of the job (despite how his leadership appears to be dismal). *IF* they can get Shannon out, I see this as an awesomely perfect fit for Peterson. National stage, some of the best recruits, weaker conference for good wins and BCS access - hell, in 2 yrs he'd cripple the other programs in FL (FSU, FLA, and whatever USF was able to get) in terms of recruiting since everyone would want to play for him. This is the ideal place for him to go, IMO.

i don't even really want to watch anymore college football this year.

i'm deflated and thuper sad.

Jesus.....I hadn't thought far enough ahead to see him with an arsenal of talented players. He'll kill whatever conference he lands in if it's a program with good recruiting. And even if it isn't, if it is a BCS conference (ie, high media coverage), he'll be able to recruit the funk out of it and build the program. Just for grins - where do you think he'd go? It kinda depends on what positions open up, and how attractive it can be for him. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking

SEC:
UGA - perhaps too much pressure where 8-10 wins isn't enough, but is hard to get in this conference. Good recruiting, great media, but I think it's not set up for any coach to come in and succeed - not with the competition they'd face year in and year out. I do think Peterson could make UGA compete for the SEC East every year, but I don't know if getting there would stress him out too much, and if being 'almost there but not always winning it' would be acceptable to the fan base.

BigE:
Not sure which jobs would be opening up. Plus, the conference is generally viewed as 'weaker'. Not the best recruiting base, but again Peterson's name ought to draw in the talent. Easy path to the BCS games, good money. I'd just be a little concerned that the conference hasn't positioned itself to stay amongst the BCS automatics, and they may be hanging the conference's name on him alone (similar to what they did for WVU a bit, then Rutgers for a year or two, and they continue to struggle for a 'top tier' program to claim :\ ). I'd say no, because while the path is easier to the NC, the long term prospect of the conference isn't promising.

Big10+2:
ILL - Zooker is on borrowed time. But, is ILL the type of place Peterson would want to be? Weather doesn't bother him, and this would provide a conference where he can probably get some of the best recruiting (of the conference, may take a little for 'his name' to get national recruiting coming in) as well as a solid 8-10 win season consistently and that would be a great step up for that particular program. Hmmm...maybe.

ACC:
UNC - Butch is going to be hammered, but the ACC does provide fertile grounds for recruiting and winning a lot. I suppose it might depend upon how much the NCAA comes down on the program as Butch leaves.
MIA - Just signed Shannon to a 4 yr extension, so I imagine it would be very hard to get him out of the job (despite how his leadership appears to be dismal). *IF* they can get Shannon out, I see this as an awesomely perfect fit for Peterson. National stage, some of the best recruits, weaker conference for good wins and BCS access - hell, in 2 yrs he'd cripple the other programs in FL (FSU, FLA, and whatever USF was able to get) in terms of recruiting since everyone would want to play for him. This is the ideal place for him to go, IMO.

Miami would be the ideal place for him, and he is ideal for Miami. The types of schemes his teams run send players to the NFL, and that is what we always prided our self on. Also, he values graduation rates and off-field behavior. Graduation rates have always been important to Miami, believe it or not, even in the Thug U era. FSU and Florida would still get their recruits, you can only recruit 25 players a year. There is too much talent in the state of Florida for one team to hog it all.

Shannon is one of the lowest paid coaches in the ACC and most likely has a very low buyout. His contract was essentially for show, since an expiring contract does not look good to potential recruits. We made a huge mistake by overpaying Coker. Shannon was unproven, and UM was not going to make the same mistake twice.

Which brings me to my third point. There has been a myth that Miami does not have the money to compete with big time schools. While this is true to an extent (we do not have SEC or Texas money), it is not to the degree that some portray it. Coker was being paid close to 3 million a year. I believe Peterson will come here for that kind of money.

If not Peterson, I would want Gary Patterson out of TCU. If not him, perhaps a run at Jon Gruden? He likes UM and may do it just for the glory. A guy like that cannot fail at the college level, but I doubt he would even interview for the job.

Some Canes fans want Mike Leach, which is hilarious to me. An alcoholic sociopath who locks kids in closets because they do not feel like being retarded at 31 years old. That is exactly what UM needs to better its image.

people are so polarized with Mike Leach. I like the guy, but I do have a tendency to favor alcoholic sociopaths. at the college level, it is fun to see his offensive schemes that we just can't enjoy on the pro level. he does have some problems... but I think he would be a step up for the U.

out of all the schools possibly looking for a coach, it seems to me that the U is the most attractive. why would Peterson want to go to the SEC where even decent to better-than-decent coaches go to die? just look at how immediate Richt fell off his winning ways, and in just one short year his head is being called for. even the Old Ball Coach had some really sorry years. Urban Meyer was on top of the world a season ago, but now it's looking like his OC might be mentally retarded.

if I was a coach I would stay out of the SEC, if I valued my career. so much safer in going to a school like the U, where there really is hardly any excuse for the Hurricanes NOT to be #1 or #2 in the conference every year

if I was a coach I would stay out of the SEC, because I don't have the balls for that conference. so much safer in going to a school like the U, where there really is hardly any excuse for the Hurricanes NOT to be #1 or #2 in the conference every year

fixed that for you

not every guy can have as much balls as "the Mad Hatter" Les Miles ;)

you guise see any upsets for tomorrow? I'm thinking Ryan Mallet and Arkansas can pull off one against Auburn. I'm still not sold on Auburn, their almost loss against Kentucky still reigns fresh in my mind (just like I am not sold on Oklahoma due to their near loss against Cinci).

although tOSU goes into Madtown and plays a night game tomorrow, I just don't think Bucky and the Badgers have enough fuel in their tank to pull one over the Buckeyes. historically the last three times the Buckeyes have gone into Madison it has been a really tight game, though the Buckeyes have left victorious at all times.

at the very least I am hopeful to finally see a tOSU game this year that is competitive until the 4th quarter

I think nebraska is on upset alert more than Arkansas. Those are the only two games worth following for me tomorrow, as I'm hoping the dawgs have already faces the most competent team from tennessee.

meh I don't think Texas is an imposing opponent this year. specially against a Nebraska team that plays D well and runs the football well. Texas has lost their toughness...

Status
Not open for further replies.