• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The "New Psychedelic Movement"

Well I wish I had time to read all these posts. I'm sure many great Idea's have been established, and I hate to just jump in the middle of a discussion, but I want to say. We must do somthing different than what leary and that generation did by not abusing the drugs to the extent they did. It would be better to prove you can occasionally trip without ruining your lives than stay tripped out all the time.

also the mainstream can be Extremly ignorant so you have to truly start small and work your way up because if you go straight to trying to change the whole mainstreams mind it just aint going to happen.

It is true that timothy leary was a bit rash but why are so many people eager to dismiss his ideas and slag him off i havn't seen any of you go out threatening your own life and everything you take dear in the name of something you believe, leary did have a shock element to his what ever you want to call his period of fame and it is true that society will not accept any ideas put forward to them in the circumstances we are talking about, but the only way forward is to take action so people recognise a movement or something very different to their own beliefs so they can learn that THEIR belief is not the only one.

I would like to ask people who did they read first when they first started becoming interested in these ideas?

I just wish people would show a little compassion for leary in what he did of course he is not the only one as he sometimes makes out to and i do find his views sometimes very precarious. I would like to see many more people to do what leary did than rather us all downgrading him.

Maybe i'm missing the point that alot of people are making but on reading timothy leary espeicially "the politics of ecstasy" i have found that he has tunneled views and understanding in order for the reader to comprehend what he makes out and the phrase "turn on, tune in, drop out" may seem like a complete drop out to society (as the word suggests) but its only how YOU the reader interpret it and it can be interpreted on many levels.

Please lets not keep blaming leary for the mistakes he made if he hadn't made these mistakes we wouldn't be bettering his ideas on this discussion

iopener

leary and that generation
I really wish the younger folks here would stop generalizing the 60's and 70's generations as all just following Leary's ideas. Nothing could be further from the truth.

psychonaut65 said:
But why do they have to be dreams, there are alot of things that are obviously wrong for no reason, as a "movement" we are not recognised i see your point when you state not on owrking for every one else to be like this thx, but why can't we become accepted as a part of society. In doing psychedelics i have found that society is spoiling all the earthly treasures, we in the west are fortunate but there are millions of people suffering for our wealth it doesn't come out of thin air and many people don't realise this fact and are totally ignorant and oblivious to the world around them with the aid of hallucinogenics this can be corrected, Huxley illustrates a utopia that i think is within our reach and that the only way forward for our society is to preach the use of psychedelics as unarguably in the right circumstances they provide a unified knowledge that would better our society to such a great extent.
How can we keep our own head honest and truthful and real when the world the world around is dumbfoundingly wrong and ignorant in many ways, when the society we live and work in tells us we are bad because we are using drugs who are they to say?
Timothy Leary talks about conditioning and unfortunately many people in this day are conditioned to society and the ones that aren't have already found their place by discussing within this forum, i see myself not morally wrong on many levels however society could call me wrong on a lot of levels espeicially the school i am at which does not allow drug use at all but are we wrong?

With Huxley, you arent referring to a Brave New World are you?

what psychedelic movement? i'm not seeing it, sure there are a ton of forums etc. but that's just a product of the internet bringing the small minority together. nothing more

I'm not so sure about that. In the Uk there has been a huge increase in magic mushrooms, 2c-i is frequent and lots more people have access to mescaline containing cacti via the internet.

people are getting sick of the monotomy of alcohol/pills/amphetamine/coke type buzz. Psychedelics are wormholes, trapdoors and paragates.

I think forums like these are the tip of an expanding iceberg.

Psychedelics, in fact drugs in general are no longer underground, since the first big acid raves reappeared in 1987 drug references have become common parlance in the media and the press. You knew the drug movement was mainstream when you first heard "E's are good, e's are good, he's ebenezer goode." at number one in the charts and saw gangs of teens wearing Mitzubishi and Dove T-Shirts screaming aciiiiiiid at the top of their lungs. In the interim we learnt that drugs don't make you wild, interesting or intelligent, they will not grant you a personality, and if you endlessly go on about them you bore the arse off everyone around you.
We are not the children of the hippies, they sold out or fucked up, babbling their new age psycho shite, to an increasingly neurotic and middle classed audience. The only psychedelic movement that counts would be one that had gone beyond drug use, after all drugs are merely a form of sensual and social knowledge, it's what you do with that knowledge that makes the difference, just needing to do it again and again so that you feel like life's exhilarating and astounding rather than drowning in its own torpor will never be enough. What have any of you really and honestly learnt from psychedelics in terms of knowledge that still exists when you're sober. Drug movements fail because they fall apart when the drugs wear off. The reason drugs feel so good is that they allow us to experience often half articulated desires and more controversially they allow us to feel many of the ideas that are bandied around in western culture but which lie outside of our grasp in terms of being able to seize them. We are told that western culture prides itself on its democracy, its individualism, its creativity but in reality it will make every effort to erase them from your flesh. If you want to start the revolution put the drugs down for a moment and simply demand the right to walk naked in the streets, to paint yourself green, to create your own symbols rather than having to purchase them, to create your own communities, to be allowed to live. Refuse to bow down to their dreams and be judged by them. Disembowel the traitorous conformity of your own bodies and emotions, that trap you within endless cycles of thought and action. The politicians have us by the balls, we can not change them, but we can change ourselves and the very fabric of our social world.

hashish2020: No not brave new world that is Huxley's version of technological hell. His book "island" is the complete opposite: his version of utopia. To anyone who is interested in psychedelics island is a must read the last chapter of the book is basically a trip report very interesting

iopener

the hippies, they sold out or fucked up, babbling their new age psychoshite, to an increasingly neurotic and middle classed audience.

Or, maybe, they just grew up.

^^^^ I would say they did sell-out or fuck up ... (bar a small minority) .... how many people do you know that say they were a hippy back in the 60's 70's, but it seems now they have a big office job with lots of income (a bit of a contradiction to "back in the day", would you say) ... and yes some of them "FUCT UP" as you say .... went a little crazy ... of course i'm not saying that these are the only two groups that psychonauts from the 60's fall into .... there is still plenty of old hippies around, with wisdom beyond this life .....

k, peace

The last thing you can call Western culture is grown up. Those dippy hippy shits saw to that by infantalising alternative realms of knowledge and practice so making them a laughing stock. If grown up means we settle for the tardry trappings of western consumerism as providing a basis for our existence instead of continuously engaging with and challenging the forces of hegemony in an attempt to move beyond their grasp, either at an individual or group level, then we should abandon the notion of growing up completely. My club buds and I all work, some of them are loaded making money is not selling out but watering down the experieces and repackaging them so that they can be tamed by a capitalist system is. Despite our cash you'll never catch us trying to pass a new car off as a personality or jacking off over an Ikea catalogue, we define ourselves through our creative actions, our social relations and our capacity to feel, the rest of the world can kiss our asses, we have made our own jobs and careers, our own rules and our own decisions and our years spent taking drugs and dancing till dawn played a huge part in teaching us to detach ourselves from the snot nosed bleatings of the everyday world. We don't want celebrity, stupid wealth, political power, even the respect of the wider world because we've created our own lives beyond the grasp of the petty and the afraid and that's what I would class as maturity.

I think younger folks should get a little older and survive in the real world a little bit before making condescending judgements about generations before them. I know many who were hippies or hippie like in the 60's and 70's that today have real world responsibilities like taking care of children, maybe their aging parents, paying their own bills and health care, etc. etc. And so they have some income. Most I know live a humble life and are not into corporate consumerism as you guys insist. You can call that "selling out" but people have to survive, and people from your generation will be doing the same as you get older because you have to survive too. I know a few who are "fuck ups" too but its obvious there will be just as many from your generation as well. There are only a few who live the hippie life in a commune or rainbow gathering and they are discovering as they get older its not the simple life its made out to be.

Alot of these who were hippies or hippie like in the 60's and 70's made condescending judgements about generations before them too. But since that time many have listened to those from that generation and developed a respect for the difficulties that generation faced.

Last edited:
Hindsight is 20-20. Every generation makes it's own blunders, including our's.

Glog is right, putting down the "hippies" will get us nowhere. "They done what's right by them; That's all you can expect." (some movie..)

But, that doesn't mean we can't learn from their mistakes....

Honestly, I think the biggest hurdle towards drug legalization is the fact that the government will never fire an entire branch of the federal body over public policy. I thought about this a long time ago, but it was solidified in a recent NPR broadcast about how the US postal system is being crippled by email and the government is considering bringing email under federal jurisdiction and charging for it. All because they aren't willing to fire a bunch of uneeded postal workers.

The point of this being that it isn't always the movement that fails, but the restraints caused by policy infrastructure.

i think the government has fired an unneeded body or two...

consider McCarthyism and that 'investigation of unamerican activities".. that was its own branch of the government, and public pressure eventually got to where this branch was exterminated. Or, how bout all those programs that FDR passed during the new deal? after their usefulness waned, most of them were shut down, as well. or, how about when Reagon came to power and he shut down all those categorical grants in favor of more broad programs with less strings attached, like block grants (or revenue sharing)? the government is very flexible, and will change itself if need be, especially if pressured enough by the public. perhaps a more educated, objective public would be able to enact some of the changes we're talking about...

because, after all, isn't a government just a reflection of everything that's bad about a society?

Dean Luna said:
I don't worry about changing the laws immediatly so much as about "converting" those around me. If you can change the minds of even 15 or 20 people you will have made a great deal of difference in changing society. Any real change needs to be gradual, and it needs to come from the bottom.

HELL FUCKING YES. except my goal is to change the mind of like 15-20 people a week, or even day. =D

I used to try to turn everyone on to drugs, but it's not up to me. i'll speak openly about my own experiences, but anything beyond that is something known as peer pressure. psychedelic drug usage isn't for everyone. respect that.

^^^^

Thats what I do - I certainly do not hide my psychedelic usage at all, and will tell anyone about it if they ask any questions. For example, the person I live with who has been a good close friend for a good part of my life. I remember before I ever had any "experience", she was young and I remember her tripping and I was the sober one. She had shitty acid trips with the wrong people and even thought maybe the "acid" or ecstasy she took is the reason for this or that problem she has now. After living with her for quite a while, and she knows how deep into this "hobby" I am and knows it is a part of my life - she's seen how its benefited me, changed me, etc. I never ever asked her to do any drug, more like, told her how people should know what they are doing and ...well, we've had all kinds of conversations. She came to me asking for something on a certain day, and I chose a good substance out of my "box o' goodies" at a low dose, and she and the other people, and I, had a blast. She even said she thought it was not only great but had an "anti-depressant" effect afterwards. She knows what i'm doing, just by watching me - seen me trip god knows how many times and with other friends who some she can relate to very much also who are "very experienced".

A lot of people have come to me, they know i'm the dude to trip with, or ask for "something" for some certain occasion and they'll know i'll pick/do the right thing. I think this seems to work well for me, rather than "push" psychedelics to people I just let them see who I am and what i'm all about. If they see it might be something for them, they know who to ask if they have any questions. %)

^^ Exactly the way I feel. But I live in this bullshit uber-conservative southern community that's all about the drama, so it sorta sucks... people just blow me off and marginalize me, it's like they want to pretend i'm not there. I think that's because i take the same AP classes lots of the 'smart' kids at this school do, and i get better grades than lots of them, and they hate me for it, because they know I do drugs. It's like they really want to believe that drugs are bad and make you stupid, but I'm living proof of the fallacy of this belief, and they just don't know how to handle it, so they don't really talk to me. Bland, huh?