View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The "New Psychedelic Movement"

austior

Bluelighter
I have chosen "The New Psychedelic Movement" to refer to the groups of individuals who inhabit message boards like these.

In my opinion, our "movement" has become stong enough that it will be remembered as an effector of historical change. I would be surprised if people like Murple and MGS, websites like erowid, and so forth, were not mentioned in future historical texts.

We are at a unique point in history. In my opinion, modern politics and culture is catalyzing a zeitgeist, perhaps reminiscent of "the sixties." We will play a similar role to the followers of Timothy Leary in that era.

Now, it is clear to me that we are, on the whole, in denial of this truth. We, in fact, abhor what Leary did for the psychedelic "movement." Because of this, we long to avoid the mistakes he made. Ideally, we would like to not be a movement at all, but more of an underground society. Throughout the nineties and early naughts, this is precisely what we have been, hidden from the sight of "normal" individuals, government, and the media. But times are changing fast. If you have not caught on to this, read the Guardian article posted on the BL home page today.

As I see it, the question now becomes: How do we survive? Many potential revolutions of the "sixties" were easily squelched by government and societal agendas in the years following. Leary's movement is a perfect example. The Equal Rights Amendment is perhaps another.

We can't hide forever. How do we avoid the mistakes of history? We would all like to avoid making a negative impact on the universe. But, as Leary has demonstrated, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

We have a choice to make. Despite some of our best efforts, the things we like to do are now part of a growing commercial enterprise. Our governments are going to try to make all our favorite pastimes highly illegal, it's inevitable. At this point we are, in my opinion, ill prepared to stop this from happening. What are we to do!??? I'd like to see some serious discussion in this vein, this is both the time and the place.

I actually have been thinking quite a bit about this lately. The amount of attention being paid to phychadelics these days seeming to rival that of the 60's. I'm sure then the feeling were very different and all, but still...

I've had several ideas of late on this line of thought:

First off, the problem with Leary and his followers and the other people involved in the acid wave of the 60's was that they were content with doing nothing and hoping that the positive energy alone would win whatever war they were fighting. I hope it's blatently obvious that this did not work.

Next: Unlike the 60's...I think we are begining to realize WHAT we are hoping to change. I've heard more and more people of late talk sense about society and what the problems with our world today are. The basis of everything on money, and power...rather than peace and love.

Now back to the "New Psychadelic Movement"...I'm actually happy that my generation has found any type of movement at all to be a part of. There are so many people in this generation that are so intelligent and could do anything, but would rather do nothing cus it's what the government doesn't want us doing. Myself included in that. I think our generation right now is thinking of the possibilities of the same "consiousness expansion" that Leary sold, but on more of a realistic basis. A trip into a new reality that could make our own reality so much better.

I was thinking about having an underground party sometime between now and summer, but recently I've been looking into the options of making it a concert/political rally for anti-politics. Imagine if Rage Against The Machine and Bob Marley got together and threw a political rally. I want to take THAT message and get it out there to the mainstream. I think things like this is what we HAVE to do if we don't want to be squashed under police batons, like Leary and the SanFran hippies of the 60s.

All this taken into account...there is one problem that we simply can't ignore..."our favorite passtimes" as you call them are, in fact, highly dangerous. And to ignore this fact is to make the same mistake Leary did. Rather than sending the nation on a hiatus of drug taking and trips, it should be made very clear to everyone, the goverment, our mothers, our friends, everyone...that these drugs and psychadelics are dangerous, but when taken in the proper way they can actually expand one's mind and leave him thinking in a way he never had before. The 60's touched on this, but never really delved into the options before getting beaten down, literally.

I know I, for one, would like to make a massive difference in our modern society before I die. I see more problems in this world than could possibly be fixed in one lifetime, and I'm sure I'm not the only one!

Random thought: I wonder if other movements talked about becoming movements before it happened or if they just kind of happened. I wonder what the effects of an organized rather than an unorganized movement would be...

the next logical move would be to encourage genuine psychological research into these substances and the states available through them. From the few examples of research discussed on this site it seems the tide is turning.

'turn on, tune in, but don't drop out' as someone cleverer than me pointed out.

X

The amount of attention being paid to phychadelics these days seeming to rival that of the 60's.

Psychedelics were much more prevelant in the mass media in the 60's, and not all of it was negative like it is today. And there was a great deal more scientific research on psychedelics in the 50's and 60's than there has been since.

the problem with Leary and his followers and the other people involved in the acid wave of the 60's was that they were content with doing nothing and hoping that the positive energy alone would win whatever war they were fighting.

Is that why there were all those Vietnam War protestors and other protestors?? There was a hell of alot more political activism in the 60's than there is today. Some of us remember. Not everyone in the 60's was a follower of Leary with the 'drop out' attitude Leary had. Much of the 'drop out' attitude came from utter frustration over societies rejection of psychedelics.

I think we are begining to realize WHAT we are hoping to change. I've heard more and more people of late talk sense about society and what the problems with our world today are. The basis of everything on money, and power...rather than peace and love.

They didn't have anything to say about peace and love over money and power back in the 60's???

Now back to the "New Psychadelic Movement"

While there are a few poeple colloborating on the internet, I don't see any 'psychedelic movement' having any effect today on the mainstream attitudes towared psychedelics. In fact, on the Internet I see as much infighting and bickering amongst users like Murple and others as I see collaboration. In the mainstream, psychedelics are illegal and seen in a primarily negative light and there's no indication a few people on the internet in forums like this are having any significant impact towards changing that. The only real change since the sixties is that they are starting to open up some scientific research again, but that is strictly controlled. There are also starting to allow certain religious groups such as the NAC and ayahuasca churches to use their sacraments. But thats about it. They aren't even thinking of allowing mainstream access to psychedelics.

It's a wonderful idea, its very noble, and we should try to get our opinions out to the mainstream, but I don't think we are even on the map as far as 'movements' go. We are an underground group that will likely stay underground for a long time to come. Get used to it.

See I personally don't see this as a "new psychedelic movement", what I see is that psychedelics (as well as other influences) are bringing more and more people into a movement that's larger and much more important than the use research and availability of chemical drugs... this is a mission of world-saving, not a political movement.

Or rather, this will work if we engage it as a mission of world-saving, and likely fall prey to the same problems that all other poitical movements have if we engage it as a push to get laws changed and research done...

Science isn't going to save us... Science is for playing with after we've already done the saving...

Christ man...I wasn't saying that there was NO movement in the 60s...I was saying that the general veiw was that the natural high and good intentions would get you through. Did I not acknowlage the beatings that went on in the 60's in Cali? I didn't know I had to specify that those beating were because of the protests taking place, thought that was implied.

Way to pick apart my post and intrepret the sentences in the opposite way they were intended.

I was stating in my post that instead of getting absolutely blasted on cid and hitting the streets with signs and hoping that did the trick, we should be SMART about it. Become educated and take over the system from inside, or even cause a movement that somehow makes the system realize it's own wrongs. Did this happen in the 60s? No...if it did we wouldn't be having this convo now! Obviously what they did back then fell short. I respect them for trying but it didn't work...so lets try harder.

That was my point.

Thank you.

And drummer...I agree 100 percent that this is more of a saving of the world's society than a political movement...however, in today's world, everything that has to do with society is considered political, that one of the major problems.

We(those discussing here) realize what we want as a society, but it's like trying to explain a trip to a straight person...its just too abstract for their understanding...

It's almost like Noam Chomsky's idea of anarchy, I think is what we are going for here...am I wrong?

instead of getting absolutely blasted on cid and hitting the streets

What makes you think that's the only thing that happened in the 60's?? Back in the 60's many scientists and other sucsessful poeple were advocating psychedelics.

Become educated and take over the system from inside, or even cause a movement that somehow makes the system realize it's own wrongs.

A big part of the problem today is most educated suscessful people today who do psychedelics aren't going to admit it publically for fear of destroying their careers and possibly getting arrested. So the problem stays underground.

Did this happen in the 60s?

No. But what 'movement' are you talking about today? A bunch of poeple with anonymous handles on the internet talking about it? Like I can just see my congressman saying "Hey, I just read this thread on bluelight, we need to legalize LSD"

Obviously what they did back then fell short. I respect them for trying but it didn't work...so lets try harder. That was my point.

And I said it was noble. And as someone just pointed out there are organisations you can support. But don't get your hopes too high for any changes in the laws.

You are such a positive [person], ain't ya?

Why waste time picking apart MY posts!? I'm fucking wanting the same thing you are! You are taking my shit and turning it around to something I obvioiusly didn't mean. You are worse than the fucking goverment, lol! (J/k!)

Want me to pick apart your shit?OK...
1: the goverment's veiw of the movement was a bunch of tripped out stoners, thats why they wouldn't listen to them. Even if that wasn't true, they couldn't make the gov realize what they truely were.
2: OK...so because there is a problem today it will always be that way? Great, lets just ignore the PATRIOT ACT too...wtf...
3:I was talking about the possibilities OF a movement! Did I talk about one in a first person? Me thinks not. Unless something is started, nothing will ever end.
4: Why can't I get my hopes up if my hopes are followed by actions? How many revolutionaries see the changes they wanted in their lifetime. If in 300 years shit starts to change then I'd like to think I had some part in it. As opposed to you, who sits on his ass ripping apart positive threads with negative comments.

Dude...add something to the thread of your own instead of quoting me and turning my words on their heads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that Guardian article is a little frightening in its thoroughness, isn't it? Seems like the writer's probably been hanging out at Bluelight for some of his research.

I know it's way out of fashion to say things like this, but I think the Internet is kind of essential to this new movement, if indeed that's what it is. (And I don't really think it is, yet. A movement would seem to require ongoing mass political action. There is a "legalize marijuana" movement; I don't see a comparable "legalize psychedelic research chemicals" movement or the like, just a group of dedicated hobbyists at this point).

The Internet has, however, allowed a distributed group of enthusiasts (not to mention suppliers) to form and keep in touch much more quickly than they could in "the 60s" and without creating a centralized command structure for the media or government to target, like Leary's operation was, to an extent.

For this reason, I think a true movement *could* form, if there was any reason to. But promoting peace and love, while a worthy goal, isn't really enough of a reason for an organized, enduring political movement. Where's the pain to be alleviated or the social injustice to be corrected? For example, if pot ever gets legalized in the US, it will be mostly because it got a foot in the door with the whole medical marijuana argument -- pot helps dying people feel better. What can psychedelics do? That is the question.

Last edited:
I think one of the problems of the psychedelic movement of the 60's was that there was the widespread beleif that EVERYONE should do acid..hence leading to alot of bad freakouts amongst people who really shouldn't have been doing it in the first place

I think the success of any new psychedelic movement depends on having the RIGHT people take psychedelics, not the MOST people....if you get artists, writers, teachers, and other people in respected positions to both take psychedelics and report on their experiences, then the public consciousness regarding these substances will have to change

I've said it before and I'll say it again: we've been over this before.

Become educated and take over the system from inside

Where do you think the children of the people protesting in the 60's went? They went inside -- they became politicians, high up business folks, film makers, software producers and computer scientists, they're your stockbrokers, your neighbors, your bosses.

You are probably older than me and I'm sorry -- you may not want to hear this, but the one thing you don't realize is that nothing you're saying is new and if I was you I wouldn't be taking the good criticisms people are giving you in a negative way. One of the greatest ways to change is to keep yourself open to what others have to say about your ideas.

Peace.

Spyke -- you're obviously misunderstood. Let me see if I can try to find a medium here without watching this turn into a complete ego thing. IMO one of the down falls of the mass majority of people in the 60's who took psychedelic drugs was their high hopes. Leary was a pretty bad leader who mostly endorsed dreaming as an escape from reality. High hopes and dreams are not reality.

1: the goverment's veiw of the movement was a bunch of tripped out stoners, thats why they wouldn't listen to them. Even if that wasn't true, they couldn't make the gov realize what they truely were.

The majority of people were tripped out stoners. The people who weren't were more or less not going to go out of their way to attract attention because most people just aren't ready to hear what's up. These are the people who are selective -- if you want to hear their experiences and you want to listen to what they are trying to teach then you come to them, they don't go to you.

2: OK...so because there is a problem today it will always be that way? Great, lets just ignore the PATRIOT ACT too...wtf...

No, you're just being pessimistic. There have and always will be issues to deal with and only the truly purest of heart see changes in their lifetime from things they've been chosen to do. Think MLK Jr., Rosa Parks -- both people who had to suffer very harshly for standing up. Every truly good change takes time. I'm going to say this right now -- if you haven't already noticed it's not about winning anything, it's about keeping up and living the message until the day you die. It doesn't matter what area of life you go into -- whether you become a teacher, a dancer, a busdriver, a politician, a writer with a P.h.D, a film critic, a dairy man who is a DJ on the side, or a business owner. You stand for something and you've got to voice it no matter where you are. Not everyone has a strong message to voice, but if you do you know it and you run and take off when you get that little voice in your head that says you've got things to do in this life!

I think more or less you've got a great message and know what you're trying to say, but please for your own sake tone down the ego to a healthy level. Of course you have a right to be here on this message board and voice yourself, but so do other people and you've just absolutely got to respect that or else you'll be undermining yourself too. Plus you look like a Jackass.

As opposed to you, who sits on his ass ripping apart positive threads with negative comments.

I don't even want to mention what I think of this, but it's just uncalled for, total bullshit, and you show a complete lack of respect for GloggaWogga.

IMHO, in an issue such as psychedelics (which, in the eyesof the public, are "Drugs" just like Cocaine, but not like Alcohol ;)), the key is not forming a movement that will try to convince people (The government) to reform. This will not work.

What would work is that members of this "movement" should stay underground and slowly assume positions of power where they lead: The media, The government (and law), and Research.

Trying to convince society to change on that issue will never work, and we all know that we are a very powerless and negatively viewed minority at this time. We are all junkies in the stereotypical sense in the eys of society.

the goverment's veiw of the movement was a bunch of tripped out stoners

The government's veiw of your so called "psychedlic movement" is exactly the same today, as is the veiw of the vast majority of the public.

Great, lets just ignore the PATRIOT ACT too

This is exactly what the current generation is doing. Back in the 60's and early 70's people protested everything: civil rights, womens rights, vietnam, the environment, workers rights, gay rights, etc. Laws were passed limiting the governments ability to spy on people in the 70's. Civil rights, womens rights and environmental laws were passed in 60's and 70's. Today, these laws are more and more being abandoned, and few people care to get involved politically to do anything about it. I expect that will turn around some day, but I don't see it happening very soon.

ripping apart positive threads with negative comments

No, I just think its good not to have any false hopes about the world I live in. I see little impact any psychedelic users on the Internet having today to get psychedelics accepted by society at large, and I see little chance the 'war on drugs' is going to end anytime soon despite its obvious futility.

Does anyone even understand what was truly meant by the "drop out" portion of Leary's catch-phrase?

Aye, Jeldrid, I agree.

"Drop out" is the natural end point of tuning in and turning on as far as I can see. This society is especially worthy of dropping out of. Just because there's a system in place doesn't mean you have to join it, and just because you joined it doesn't mean you have to stay in when it gets obviously stupid to do so. Not dropping out of this bullshit is stupid. There I said it.

But dropping out of society doesn't mean you get high and do nothing and pretend things are okay

It means you start a NEW ONE

If you do it right, everyone will want to join.
Things don't get fixed politically. We fix the system by wrecking it from the outside not by going to work for it...