Mental Health The Myth of Mental Illness

Opi_Kid_Rock

Bluelighter
I’ve been reading up on the topic of Anti-Psychiatry lately after being admitted against my will into a psych-ward. My question is does the Myth of Mental Illness carry any weight you think as an argument? When I search Anti-psychiatry and the list of Psychiatrists who speak against their own profession and the list of literature by these individuals show up, it seems to make perfect sense. Any of you subscribe to this movement? Thomas Szasz PhD debates such an argument.

I don't know what you are referring to but NO...mental illness is absolutely NOT a myth, and I think there's plenty of evidence to support that.

Me personally, I am pretty pro-psychiatry as well as pro-psychology/pscycho-analysis/psycho-therapy, although there are plenty of shitty psychiatrists out there and it is not as far along as other hard sciences, there's no question that psychiatry as a whole as SOME good answers regarding SOME proper treatments for SOME types of mental illness.

And the thing is, even if you were anti-psychiatry, the idea that mental illness as a whole does not exist is crazy.

That would basically be to deny that bipolar, PTSD, schizophrenia, borderline, generalized anxiety disorder, OCD, schizotypal disorder, and many other disorders etc etc EXIST AT ALL and that people with these issues are no different than anyone else, and I don't see how anyone with any amount of intelligence could support that claim.

The symptoms of these disorders most certainly exist in some, and there are certainly certain effective treatments, so I don't know where the anti-psychiatry people stand regarding that.

I mean, do they deny that these disorders exist AT ALL?

And if they do, how can they deny the symptoms?

If they agree that some of them exist, and that there are certain ways to treat the symptoms, then I assume they just think that psychiatry doesn't have many of the right answers, and for those people I can understand to some extent where they are coming from because psychiatry has a lot of flaws and yes, there are certain studies saying that SSRIs are placebo etc (I don't believe they are) and all of that....but of the people I have spoken to who are to some extent against psychiatry, I have never talked to any who think NONE of what psychiatrists do has ANY value or that all of their treatments and medication are bullshit.

It would take a pretty primitive person I think to take that stance.

But I DO think that modern psychiatry is often very limited, and that there are a lot of different drugs, especially psychedelics and disasociatives, that are more effective than many modern psychiatric meds and treatments, and that a lot of the best answers for how to treat mental illnesses probably come from some unusual places like: Native Shamanism (meaning the native Shamanic practices, both with and without psychedelics and herbs, of any of hundreds of different cultures), hypnosis/autohypnosis, mediation and meditative practices, Yoga, neurofeedback and brain technology, art therapies, and all sorts of other unusual treatments.

I think that modern psychiatry REALLY needs to admit that it does NOT have even close to all the answers, and that modern psychiatrists should be willing to experiment with techniques from all of these other places and cultures.

However, psychiatrists have some boundaries they can't cross cause so many drugs I feel might be helpful for these illnesses are illegal and unaccepted by society, and psychiatry as a whole and the DSM won't acknowledge that many fringe treatments might work.

But to be completely anti-psychiatry makes no sense to me.

I also don't know if the anti-psychiatry people are also anti-psychology/therapy/psycho-therapy/psycho-analysis, but if they go that far and think that dreams mean nothing and that dream exploration and all forms of talk therapy are worthless, then that's even more crazy IMO.

Last edited:
Oh boy... Yeah, mental illness is not made up. It's one thing to have some reservations about some things to do with psychiatry but another to write it off completely. I think it's dangerous honestly and could lead to some people not getting the help they need.

My problem with Psychiatry as it is now is that once they diagnosed you with something, there is no test to confirm this diagnosis.
Most times the next step is giving you drugs and see how you react, with results varying getting better to no effects on the symptoms to worsening of the condition to being high and just not giving a fuck about the still existing condition.
That is not scientific at all.

My problem with Psychiatry as it is now is that once they diagnosed you with something, there is no test to confirm this diagnosis.
Most times the next step is giving you drugs and see how you react, with results varying getting better to no effects on the symptoms to worsening of the condition to being high and just not giving a fuck about the still existing condition.

My depression and mood have not gotten any better but if I were to say that I’m not better, they would take my civil liberties away. The power imbalance is too large at the moment.

I would never advise that we discard with concept of mental health, I would adjust terminology and try to make everybody see that there is no such thing as ultimately normal person . But, if somebody is hearing voices and seeing things that only he can see (is halucinating) I would encourage him to get help. Hell, I would make him go to a safe place and would try my best to provide best services to him so he is not danger to himself or others.
Having said that, I think there is too much emphasis on pharmacological modes of treating people who have mental crisis, and if there are some therapy modalities there is not enough diversity. Jung type of psychotherapy is almost forbidden and there is not enough emphasis on spirituality in the whole story. Psychiatry became too much of a pharma market and human part is less and less. New DSM is listing disorders that are actual normal responses, feelings and life phases, and that is the reason why lots of psychiatrist are criticising it and calling it pseudo-science. You can not make everything into disorder by putting your hand in the air and voting. Doing so you are actually undermining a chance that somebody with real problems will try to reach out for help. And there are people with real problems and well applied psychiatry has enough powerfull tools to tackle those problems. But, there should not be "either us psychiatrist or them priests" dichotomy.
In a perfect world people would be appreciated for who they are and when they develop symptoms that are making their life hard every kind of modality should be available and different modalities should be mixed so everybody can be helped. Somebody who believes in Jesus, heaven and hell should get totally different approach and be in a different institution (if he is institutionalised) than somebody who is hard core deterministic atheist. Biggest problems of psychiatry are lack of biological proof for disorders and therefore creating disorders by voting, not knowing how most of new medication is working but relying too much on them, lack of diversity in treatment, trying to have nothing to do with spirituality which is big part of life for large number of people, treatment of institutionalised people like they are less valuable etc. I must say that all those things do not apply on every psychiatrist but generally they do in my experience.
I still stand by my claim that what is normal is not objective and is result of preferences in given society. But if a person living in that society is suffering than it has to be helped. Especially if person develops halucinations. For me it is a matter of terminology and acknowledgement that psychiatry is not so advanced as it is advertised. Psychiatry , those practicing it, should be way more humbler and then it would have impact which would do more good than it does today. At least I see it that way, and if you need an example of somebody who is limited in his knowledge and is making mistakes constantly - look no further
?

Peace,
Soma

What do you mean that "Jung type psychotherapy is almost forbidden"?

I live in NY and my mother is a Jungian psychoanalyst and let me tell you it is VERY big in certain parts of the U.S. and certain parts of the world.

Yeah, I man I would say I partially agree with you but that's one of the problems with psychiatry is that it's just not as far along as many other hard sciences because for many different disorders there are not necessarily any specific tests that can be done to be 100% sure that a person has this or that disorder or diagnosis and much of it has to do with whether or not a person responds to a certain drug.

Ideally I think we want to get to a point where there actual brain scans and scientific tests that can be done on the brain to specifically show what is lacking in terms of chemicals or where this is damage and specific results that would definitively prove one diagnosis, but we are far from there and I don't know if we ever will be, or if so how long it will take.

There do seem to be a few diagnoses, like bipolar and schizophrenia specifically, which we can be pretty damn sure someone has, but not most disorders.

That being said, I had a good psychiatrist once and he said "diagnoses should not be that important, just what your symptoms are and what helps with them" and I agree.

Why does it really matter what label we put on a disorder or diagnosis if we know what the negative symptoms are and how to make them go away?

Honestly, I think it hardly matters at all.

I mean, for the sake of argument, if you think someone has borderline personality disorder and give them certain drugs based on the symptoms, and somehow they work, and then we later find out that in fact the person was not borderline but was schizotypal, then why does it even matter?

That is why the DSM is constantly being updated every year because it's so hard to ever nail anything down in psychiatry, but the fact that it is being updated so often is proof that psychiatry is attempting to be a real science and constantly evolve and not just decide on different definitions of disorders being set.

I mean I honestly think that as a whole a lot of the people who are in the highest positions in the field of psychiatry and who are able to make changes to the DSM are often really doing the best they can but that they are just limited in so far as what they can do.

Psychiatrists are often the same way, and there are good ones, shitty ones and average ones, but they are often limited by conventions and laws.

My biggest gripe is both to do with psychiatry's conventions and also the drug laws themselves which make it often impossible to prescribe certain types of drugs which might be helpful, like psychedelics, but of course psychiatrists have little to no control over the drug laws.

I mean, that being said, we are starting to see drugs like psilocybin mushrooms, MDMA, weed, ketamine and in some cases even Ayahuasca and Ibogaine as being acknowledged as having therapeutic uses and there are trials done sometimes, and that is what needs to continue.

But what pisses me off is that if you come to most psychiatrists and they think you have whatever disorder, like lets' say unipolar depression or whatever, then they often just throw the same old SSRIs or tricyclis or MAOIs at you and will not really think outside of the box or be willing to try anything unconventional.

I'd say in a perfect world if (and this perfect world includes all drugs being legal hahaha), and you go to see a psychiatrist, they ask you what your symptoms are and focus much less on what disorder you might have and instead on what might help your symptoms, THEY ASK YOU SPECIFICALLY HOW YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE TREATED...and if you would like to try unconventional methods like various types of shamanism, forest retreats, meditation, hypnosis, etc.....and then they would be just as likely to consider prescribing that you spend a month isolated in the forest while taking Ayahusca, mushrooms and Ibogaine along with daily meditation, hunting animals with a bow and a pescaterian diet, as they would be to suggest taking SSRIs and just going about your day LOL.

There are more and more experimental psychiatrists out there, for example, I once did a native american sweatlodge with a guy who was both a psychiatrist and native american shaman, but I think psychiatry needs to increasingly be mixed with: shamanism, mysticism, psychedelics, medication, religion, Yoga, hypnosis, neurofeedback/brain technology, philosophy, diet, isolation tanks, other weird modalities, experimental lifestyles etc etc etc and not just consider itself some SUPER SERIOUS SCIENCE.

We should be at a point where psychiatrists take an active role in being part of the therapy of their patients and it shouldn't be unusual to imagine your psychiatrist taking his or her shoes off and accompanying you on a trek into the wilderness where you both eat mushrooms and do yoga lol.......but really our laws make it so they can't do that cause that's some kind of fraternizing with a patient or some shit.

The boundaries are just too great and many psychiatrists take themselves WAAAAAY too seriously.

But that being said, psychiatry is just not as far along as many other sciences so it is often simply not possible to find out for sure what a person's diagnosis is other than throwing pills at them and seeing if they respond, which is very unfortunate.

Hopefully in the future we have better tests to find out what a person really has, and psychiatry stops taking itself so seriously and starts combining with a lot of the other things I mentioned.

My depression and mood have not gotten any better but if I were to say that I’m not better, they would take my civil liberties away. The power imbalance is too large at the moment.

Where do you live and what do you mean they would "take your civil liberties away"?

I think you might be mistaken, as in most countries and in most situations they can't just lock you up against your will unless you are a danger to yourself and others.

In general, an adult cannot be locked up unless they present a real physical threat to themselves and others, and while I don't want to offend you, it is very common for mental patients to assume that a person can just be stripped of their rights and locked up if they seem like they have problems.

Depression in and of itself is not something for which a psychiatrist can "take your civil liberties away", and I'm willing to bet that right now, if you are legal adult and are not deemed to be an immediate physical threat to yourselves or others, that there is no way anyone can lock you up or force you to do anything you don't want to do just because you say your depression is not getting better.

Exactly why do you believe you will be stripped of your liberties or locked up?

Have you done anything to make anyone think you could be dangerous to yourself or others?

@Opi_Kid_Rock: According to these 2 articles, USUALLY when a person is forced to under-go treatment and be hospitalized it is because people think they are an immediate physical threat to themselves are others, are violent or suicidal.

However, the first article makes distinctions between short and long term forced hospitalization, and usually there are a lot more restrictions on committing a person long term, for more than a few weeks, to a hospital.

It says that some other reasons a person could be committed include: if the person is unable to take care of themselves or make competent decisions about treatment on their own, and if a person who is dangerous or suicidal or unable to make their own decisions competently or take care of themselves refuses treatment then they can be committed short term in order to help them for their own good.....and that's pretty much it.

opi_kid_rock: Are you suicidal? Have you threatened to hurt anyone else? Are you capable of taking care of yourself or making informed decisions about whether or not you need treatment?

Because otherwise, NO ONE CAN FORCEFULLY LOCK YOU UP.

And the thing is dude, this article is basically saying that many mental patients who are locked up think it is about taking away their rights when really, they are being locked up in order to help them get the help they need and is not punishment.

Look at this: "A discussion about whether or not you can be committed for being depressed and suicidal wouldn't be complete without talking about what really happens if a person is hospitalized for depression. When simply talking about "commitment" it might sound almost like a prison sentence, but in actuality, when a commitment is considered the goal is to help a person, not restrict their rights as a human being. It is not a punishment, but rather, usually shows compassion and caring on the part of the person talking about emergency detection."

The choices that are made about whether or not a person should be hospitalized against their will are made by both medical professionals and the judicial system.

It really doesn't make sense for you to be anti-psychiatry because these people are trying to help you!!

Maybe consider whether or not you are in a situation where it might be worse for you if you were not forced to get help, if maybe otherwise you might make bad decisions and hurt yourself or someone else.

Mycophile, as it has been pointed out already, psychiatry has no way of establishing what it is wrong with a person other than listing behaviours.
They do not know the cause of this behaviours nor if the meds they might give you will do anything good at all or if it rather will make things worse.
Unless someone has already attempted suicide, there is no way for a psychiatrist to establish if the suicidal ideation is likely to become action, and same goes for violent thoughts.

Also please consider how it is very possible and as in fact it is done to exploit this system where on can be declared affected by some condition for his liberties to be lawfully removed.

Another point is also that what is help for some might not be perceived as help by others, and that whether someone is trying to help you does mean about fuck all if they are not actually helping you.

Mental illness is certainly not a myth. The effectiveness of current treatments is certainly open to debate but I do think progress is being made. Getting hospitalized sick but it's almost always very short term.

Ofocurse mental illness exists, we can all agree on that I'm sure, at least for me the problem lies in how we look for, identify, diagnose and treat mental conditions.
What I have against the 5150 (involuntary psychiatric hold), it's that sometimes it's not so black and white that it is the right solution to a problem, and that in certain circumstances, because of the holes in psychiatry, can be and is used as a weapon against mentally healthy individuals.

My bad. I live in eastern Europe and in my country it is as I wrote. I should not have extrapolate my experience to the rest of the world. It is hard comparing country with public health to one that is private insurance based.

Is C.G. Jung also influential in mental hospitals? I am just curious
:)

Edit due to spelling correction.

I really don't know if people in mental hospitals use Jung's principles.

Mycophile, as it has been pointed out already, psychiatry has no way of establishing what it is wrong with a person other than listing behaviours.
They do not know the cause of this behaviours nor if the meds they might give you will do anything good at all or if it rather will make things worse.
Unless someone has already attempted suicide, there is no way for a psychiatrist to establish if the suicidal ideation is likely to become action, and same goes for violent thoughts.

Also please consider how it is very possible and as in fact it is done to exploit this system where on can be declared affected by some condition for his liberties to be lawfully removed.

Another point is also that what is help for some might not be perceived as help by others, and that whether someone is trying to help you does mean about fuck all if they are not actually helping you.

I kind of acknowledge that that is often true, but you aren't hearing what I'm saying, that it doesn't matter what your diagnosis is, so long as someone is able to figure out something that works for your SYMPTOMS, which they often can, that is all that matters.

They figured out that Klonopin can help me with a lot of my symptoms and it wouldn't matter what they call my diagnosis.

Yes, it's true that no one can tell for sure if someone will attempt suicide, and that's why the patient must be honest as to whether or not they feel they are likely to do it.

Psychiatry can still be VERY helpful in MANY cases and I don't think you acnknowledged this, or cases like mean where it has helped.

I also dont think it happens as often as you think that someone's liberties are removed without them really being dangerous to themselves and others. There must be SOME real basis for it legally or else it would not be worth the doctor's time to do so.

And yes, it's true that the person should IMO perceive the help as help or else it should not be forced on them, and I do kind of take issue with that as actually I believe suicide should be legal and you shouldn't be able to lock someone up if they want to kill themselves.

However, that being said, I still sort of understand why it is done and to some extent it CAN make sense, especially if the person is dangerous to others and not just themselves.

I tend to think that the majority of people who consider themselves as being forcefully locked up are misinterpreting what is going on because they must have gotten themselves to a point of being really out of control to get into that situation in the first place.

I have some depression and anxiety, but I'd have to really be attempting suicide a whole lot and have someone call mental health services before I could see it escalating like that.

Mental illness is certainly not a myth. The effectiveness of current treatments is certainly open to debate but I do think progress is being made. Getting hospitalized sick but it's almost always very short term.

Yeah, that's the other thing I read, that most times it is forced like this it is 3-5 days, (at least in the U.S.) and GENERALLY speaking for them to hold you for more than 5 days you need to REALLY be exhibiting SERIOUS signs of danger to yourself and probably even moreso other people.

I mean, if suicide is the danger, and to be honest, I believe someone should have the right to legally take their own life if they wish, though it would be unfortunate....BUT...if suicide is the danger and NOT other people....unfortunately where there is a will there's a way and no amount of locking someone up will stop them.

So for someone so upset about being locked up...I tend to wonder what their end goal is in complaining about it....I mean, if you are that determined to end it all then you can unfortunately find a way....so maybe you DON'T want to end it all all THAT badly or else maybe you would not be complaining??

What "liberties" do you want so badly if you hate your life so much that you are afraid to lose them?

The right to walk around and go out and eat in resturants and go to movies and ride your bike and walk your dog?

Those kinds of liberties?

If so, you might not hate your life so much if you want them back...

Maybe I am simplifying things here.....but seeing as these forced hospitalizations are generally quite short....I have to question the OPs situation exactly and what he feels is being deprived of him when hospitalized.

He sounds very depressed, but just as unhappy about his "liberties being taken away" as his own depression, in fact, MORE unhappy about his liberties being taken away.

Perhaps he has been deemed suicidal when he is NOT in fact and locked up against his will?

Is that REALLY what is happening?

If so, that is really terrible, but again, I kind of have to feel like where there is gas there's fire, and he must have exhibited SOMETHING very serious at some point along the way to be forcefully admitted, and if he is not locked up currently but afraid of it happening again if he asks for more help with his depression, I don't know....I just can't imagine a psychiatrist saying he would not offer more help in the way of a medication change before locking him up again, and that if he were to be locked it up would just be a few days.

I just can't really imagine myself not exhibiting serious behaviors, being locked up when it is not necessary, then still wanting help for my depression but NOT being suicidal AT ALL and having a psych adamantly refuse to help me without locking me up.

I would just go see a new psychiatrist.

I mean, I don't believe anyone can be forced to stick with the same psychiatrist...

In my jurisdiction in Canada which has the most room for interpretation about whether someone is mentally stable “enough” had been enforced upon me against my will. I was boarded up along with drunks, IV users, and young people whose parents just didn’t know what to do with their misfit family member.
The initial Psychiatrist said that my Quentiape was not “working” to combat paranoid psychosis resulant from heavy dosing speed. I don’t believe the meds were what got me straight again but the natural number of days for tge speed to leave my system. They diagnosed me with depression first, then Bi-Polar the day before discharge (one month in the joint.) Once I was in, they said despite the one month law, the psych extended my “certification” to her heart desires.. Either I did what tgey wanted or else I would have had to get a good Lawyer.

After all of this, I concluded now with clear vision that they have misdiagnosed me to no end and that they know shit all about mind or anything worth believing.

In my jurisdiction in Canada which has the most room for interpretation about whether someone is mentally stable “enough” had been enforced upon me against my will. I was boarded up along with drunks, IV users, and young people whose parents just didn’t know what to do with their misfit family member.
The initial Psychiatrist said that my Quentiape was not “working” to combat paranoid psychosis resulant from heavy dosing speed. I don’t believe the meds were what got me straight again but the natural number of days for tge speed to leave my system. They diagnosed me with depression first, then Bi-Polar the day before discharge (one month in the joint.) Once I was in, they said despite the one month law, the psych extended my “certification” to her heart desires.. Either I did what tgey wanted or else I would have had to get a good Lawyer.

After all of this, I concluded now with clear vision that they have misdiagnosed me to no end and that they know shit all about mind or anything worth believing.

I'm sorry for what you went through, and I don't know about Canada's laws.

Also, are you 18 or over? Cause if not that could change things.

But I still don't understand what you did in the first place that made anyone think you should be locked up?

You had to have done certain things I would think or at least said certain things, that made people believe you were dangerous to yourself or others?

I mean, again, I don't know much about Canadian laws, but I still don't see how anyone can legally lock you up, especially for long periods of time ,just because they think your medication is not working.

That sounds like the kind of thing you could sue a doctor for.

I really hope this doesn't come off the wrong way so I apologize if it does, cause I have depression and anxiety myself, but paranoid schizophrenia, IF that is what you have, is pretty serious, and often results in people doing some dangerous things.

So, do you think that is what you have, or do you think you have bipolar or something else?

Cause I mean, again, I just don't see how you couldn't have done or said something someone thought was pretty extreme to end up being locked up.

I definitely think the are lots of very bad psychiatrists out there (lots of good ones too) and the system doesn't always work and can abuse people at times, but you had to have given someone a reason to think something pretty serious was going on in the first place.

Did you try to kill yourself?

Did you say you were hearing voices?

There must have been SOMETHING that sounded very bad to someone in a position of authority and not just that your meds weren't working...

I'm sorry for what you went through, and I don't know about Canada's laws.

Also, are you 18 or over? Cause if not that could change things.

But I still don't understand what you did in the first place that made anyone think you should be locked up?

You had to have done certain things I would think or at least said certain things, that made people believe you were dangerous to yourself or others?

I mean, again, I don't know much about Canadian laws, but I still don't see how anyone can legally lock you up, especially for long periods of time ,just because they think your medication is not working.

That sounds like the kind of thing you could sue a doctor for.

I really hope this doesn't come off the wrong way so I apologize if it does, cause I have depression and anxiety myself, but paranoid schizophrenia, IF that is what you have, is pretty serious, and often results in people doing some dangerous things.

So, do you think that is what you have, or do you think you have bipolar or something else?

Cause I mean, again, I just don't see how you couldn't have done or said something someone thought was pretty extreme to end up being locked up.

I definitely think the are lots of very bad psychiatrists out there (lots of good ones too) and the system doesn't always work and can abuse people at times, but you had to have given someone a reason to think something pretty serious was going on in the first place.

Did you try to kill yourself?

Did you say you were hearing voices?

There must have been SOMETHING that sounded very bad to someone in a position of authority and not just that your meds weren't working...

I am over the age of 30. I said I wasn’t suicidal. I went for a checkup because my brother said that I sounded paranoid. I believed that maybe I WAS after the speed I took. But keeping me there well after my paranoid symptoms have disappeared for an INDEFINITE period of time is their right where I live. If I would have made a run for it, they would call the cops on me and search for me in the Jurisdiction where I live. The mission of this psych-ward is to take credit for “curing” people of all mental illness as well as all addictions. I told them I wasn’t addicted to speed but opioids.

Last edited:
I am over the age of 30. I said I wasn’t suicidal. I went for a checkup because my brother said that I sounded paranoid. I believed that maybe I WAS after the speed I took. But keeping me there well after my paranoid symptoms have disappeared for an INDEFINITE period of time is their right where I live. If I would have made a run for it, they would call the cops on me and search for me in the Jurisdiction where I live. The mission of this psych-ward is to take credit for “curing” people of all mental illness as well as all addictions. I told them I wasn’t addicted to speed but opioids.

Man, I really feel sorry for you, but something just sounds fishy...although it could just be the mental health establishment yourself where you live, but if they are THAT corrupt then that is really beyond fucked up.

I mean, did you agree to letting them keep you there for any amount of time in the first place?

I just have a hard time believing they can hold you against your will when you have done nothing at all that is dangerous.

Did you say you heard voices or anything?

If the situation is really as you say it is I would personally want to get a lawyer and sue them.

You can't let people get away with shit like that.

Man, I really feel sorry for you, but something just sounds fishy...although it could just be the mental health establishment yourself where you live, but if they are THAT corrupt then that is really beyond fucked up.

I mean, did you agree to letting them keep you there for any amount of time in the first place?

I just have a hard time believing they can hold you against your will when you have done nothing at all that is dangerous.

Did you say you heard voices or anything?

If the situation is really as you say it is I would personally want to get a lawyer and sue them.

You can't let people get away with shit like that.

In my Jurisdiction the Provincial Law of the Mental Health Act states that a Licensed Psychiatrist may “CERTIFY” someone to be mentally unfit to function and make decisions adequately in society and therefore shall be admitted against their free will. There are two types of patients: those certified against their will which makes up the majority vs. the willing.