The Modfag Game AKA BlueLight 101 with Professor TLB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
dismantle BL in its current form. break it down into a number of cells, each cell is connected to the network. each cell can be run on its own accord by its own people. but cells can be different and it gives people the choice of picking what kind of BL experience they want.

Others have answered this, but my take is that you just described the internet. There are a myriad of sites scoped to specific content, operating as 'cells' run on their own accord by their own people. Picking which ones to visit gives you the 'internet' experience you want. BL is not trying to be everything to everyone, nor would we consider being a drug user's complete internet experience.

We are interested in maintaining our goal of Harm Reduction, which is best accomplished by having all our information readily available across all forums and using our breadth of content to reach the maximum number of people. Perhaps where I went wrong in asking for feedback of this nature is a) not pointing to SUPPORT as the place to put it, instead of this thread; and b ) saying we want ideas that help us achieve our goals. But to come back to transparency, maybe we need to more clearly state what they are?

I have been yearning for accountability here. Things like Soup Nazi and the like need to end. Warnings and bannings should be accountable things, the creation of a seperate entity to obsure where it comes from is the tip of the iceburg of accountability issues. This is a site that asks for thousands of dollars from its members but offers nothing really in the way of any accountability, its like the fucking government... a tax with no say in really how things are run.

History lesson (not public knowledge, not a reason to be a secret either) - When we started implementing warnings, it would email the member and list the mod's email as being the 'from'. This exposed our staff to all kinds of hate, spam listings, etc; so it was in effect detrimental to use the way the software worked. The solution was to implement an account (Soup Nazi) from whom these warnings were issued, so as to protect the staff member from having their own email accounts harassed. However, we (sr staff) made it explicitly clear that we expected mods to sign the warnings so the member would know whom to PM, or complain about to sr staff, so there would remain the accountability. Likewise, we asked that warnings be issued with a real comment. Remarks such as 'stay out of my forum' or 'fucking asshole' or 'your moms got great tits' just weren't very helpful in maintaining a public image of respectability, professionalism, or accountability :\ Not all mods heeded our request, but not all of these crass warnings were noticed to be followed up on.

Fast forward, and we've got the system to stop exposing off-site email accounts of mods. So, the sr. staff 'fixed' the warning system to again tie the mod's name to the warning directly to avoid confusion. There was some discussion in the staff forum on this, but no real objection (actually, mostly agreement) on going forward with this change.

History lesson over ;)

I would like to see (as previously stated) an ombaudsom or some possition so that the masses can have an advocate and a watchdog ensure things are cool. Obviously the possition is only as good as the person filling the role, but I would think that an old wise dude is prolly kickin around with some wisdom and compassion left to kick around.

I am glad to see that there is progressive talk to come out of this shitshow, now if there is actual progressive change, rather than this being another media blitz, that would certainly be welcome.

Personally, I don't have too much of a problem with this suggestion. Again, something for SUPPORT, rather than this thread, but whatever. My first question, though, becomes who gets that spot? And would they ever be looked at as not part of the 'in clique' hiding things? Would there be a reasonable limit to what they are not shown 'behind the curtain', because one of the biggest concerns we have as a staff is trust. We've had mods leak information out of the staff forums which was not intended to be public knowledge (ie, mods who have personal contact information shared, or images they share with other trusted staff, or some of the discussions that go on regarding how to handle a person or situation on the site as it arises). :\

But right now, there is a trust issue for the public with the staff - giving all this money to ... what? Trusting that someone is being banned for legitimate reasons? There is definitely a lot of room for improvement of transparency and accountability. So the ideas are welcome, we just need to see which ones makes sense.

...Even if you don't perceive it, you are different. if someone has a problem with a mod or a rule or something, its not easy to post in support.
the attitude of resistance to chance does not bode well.
you complain about doing work, and here is a new way to make your work more efficient at recieving suggestions and you regect it. sounds like jewish banking conspiracy to me.

Two points here. First, I don't know how much easier we can make it for posting in SUPPORT. Hell, that forum even allows unregistered (ie, you can log your ass out) people to post in there - that was intended to allow people locked out of their accounts to get a response, but it functions equally well for someone simply wanting to voice a legitimate concern or suggestion anonymously.

Part of me says 'why should we try new ways of getting information when the ones we provide aren't used'....but the other part of me says 'if they aren't being used, maybe we need to try something else?' :\

As for the attitude of resistance, I'll share a little bit more that the public may not all be aware of (anyone who's been in the LOUNGE more than 3 months will know, but not everyone). auto# is on his third account...at least his third account. In part, this is why there is a notable undertone of hostility towards him from staff and why there is little credibility offered to his ideas. It is unfortunate, because like GM he can come up with some good observations or offer a different opinion. But like some others who have been banned multiple times and are now out of 'extra chances' there isn't a lot of patience left in hearing him.

I say 'unfortunately' because it is hard (we're human too) to remain open minded to people that have proven time and again they can't contribute constructively. Or in the case of auto, they can contribute constructively, but the problems they create have far outweighed the gain and they've had accounts banned. This is not to say I think he should stfu, or anyone who gets banned isn't worth hearing from, but that grain of salt that comes with hearing them out gets bigger and bigger to the point of choking the concept. I say this NOT to air auto's history, but to give a perspective to those reading this and thinking "TLB just said speak up, and when this 'member' does he gets shot down hard". There's a backstory, if you care to trace it out.

Tell me I made a mistake and say why. Then I will try not to do so again. If you just close it I don't know what happened, was it a glitch in the system, or how did i fail so i can prevent it. I wan't to push the line not cross it. When I cross it let me know, then i can better obey my masters.

Its attitude dude. Disagreeing is fine, I am all for disagreement and logical discussion but its the vibe of "Fuck off you plebs, we are 1337, we run shit, stay outta our house its a private party and we are going to continue on as before after this appeasement session to appear to be nice, while we continue to plot in the shadows without any accountability."

First paragraph - aces. Right on the money in that people cannot get better if they aren't told what their doing wrong. If anyone gets reprimanded, they deserve to know why - and I encourage you to ask the mod who did it. However, by the time you're on your second or third warning, much less second or third account, the understanding is you've danced on the wrong side of the law long enough to know what's accepted.

Second part ... I fail to see where the vibe you describe is ongoing, but would beg you to share it with me so we can address such an occurrence. The only part of that I can read is what I mentioned before in relation to persons having multiple bans being given terse, smart ass, or horrid replies as they get edited or warned simply because the staff has worn thin in dealing with them. But as a general rule, if you see such behavior, please let us know.

==============================

Now, I'm only going to make one more reply to this thread for awhile, as I've just mega-responded and it will look like I just hammered auto back into submission :\ Honestly, I'm trying to take this as 'any response I make is for the next member to walk in off the street - it's not a response to the individual being quoted' I most certainly don't want to scare off anyone with interests, concerns, or a point to be raised - there should be no fear of me flipping them upside down and body slamming them and I do not want to create that impression. I do have a goal in mind, but am taking the time to respond to legitimate concerns and-or ideas as best I can....but those are better handled thru the SUPPORT forum.

My goal

When I started earlier, I needed to answer some of the misinformation GM was spouting, but saw the need to address the wider concern that the public still feels they are in the dark about a lot of things.

My goal, at this point, is to serve notice:

Members - I don't expect you to read the history of everything that's occurred to make us who we are and what we are today. I do hope that before you bitch about something, you'll try to find out why it's that way - and if you can't find the answer you raise it in SUPPORT so you can get your answer and anyone else wondering will learn as well. But don't be afraid to voice your thoughts - without them, we will flounder. Basically, please help us, but if you just want to float along without investing yourself to improve the place, understand your bitching won't get a lot of attention or raise any concern.

Staff - I've raised several links that have served as reminders that we expect you to represent the site well, and I'm happy to say you all do that fairly well. If you find it too difficult, we can respect the need to step down and regain the freedom of being just a member. But whilst you remain on staff, you will be expected to use your power wisely and effectively, and remember that you were brought on staff to offer your perspective on things and help us both in the forums and in the staff discussions to make the place better. Don't be afraid to speak up, but don't forget to listen either.

To all - This site depends on all of you. Thank you for what you've done to this point, and please do whatever you are comfortable doing as we go forward. But for all, your ideas, feedback, and support are critical in improving this place. If you can't get your message out in SUPPORT (nerves, fear, poor grammar, whatever) - feel free to contact me and I can help you however you might need.

I want to see this place be the best it can, and that doesn't mean following any one person's vision (certainly not mine) - it is a collective vision, leveraging the strength of all of our minds, built with all of our time and effort - staff and member alike. Realize the differences between staff and member are largely what you make them in your mind, but for the most part we are ALL members of the same site with the same overall desires. Let's work together.

I'm out of this thread (as best I can be ;) ), I'll see you in SUPPORT, my PM box, or at the next meetup.

If I ever win the lottery I am going to buy this site and do just that. For the fucking lulz.

TLB,

Thank you very much for putting your thoughts out there as much as you have. In comparison, I'm a noob. No harm in that. I've said that we need all of us to work together to make BL the best it can. I do have a couple of questions. So I'll see you in support.

D_T

I can infract you if you'd like, but as long as you promise to reach around and infract me while I do it.

wait...

that doesn't work.

Are you forgetting the random number generator that decides who is a troll and who is a mod?

island3.jpg

What is there to be so paranoid about? All your link really shows is the provider that hosts bluelight, and the domain registrant (dreamhost). It's just a DNS lookup. All of this information is completely public knowledge for any internet site, it has to be so the internet can work the way it does otherwise your browser wouldn't know where to go when you typed in bluelight.ru. Bluelight has a public IP address on the internet. We aren't trying to hide. We even allow guests to view the board.

The owners aren't doing anything illegal, unless running a harm reduction site is illegal. Some of the members are doing shady things off the board, but it seems law enforcement would rather pursue these members instead of trying to go after the owners of the site. It seems that LE is using BL as a research tool.
I realize that now as its been said before your reply in a more helpful and friendly manner by someone who is a helpful person. You obviously are not replying due to a will to help out. Just to try and patronise. Which is really cute. Can you tell me how to order ridiculous amounts of G to my home address without being caught, my house raided and ending up under house arrest please ? Thanks.

I think we are straying off topic. See what we really need to get back to, is why the Mods are raging faggots.

Case in point. sonic is a raging faggot because he was born suffering fetal alcoholic syndrome.

Next : Silly Alien

Status
Not open for further replies.