• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Travel The MEGA Travel Thread!

I forgot to add, I do have 2 possession felonies on my record. Would this be an issue with securing admittance into certain countries or is it something they don't really check?

My experience with living in the states my whole life is that EVERYBODY checks for felonies and it more often than not is an issue. But don't get me started on that.

I doubt this will be an issue in any European country. I'd go as far as saying I'm certain it won't be an issue. When I travelled to the US some years ago, I though the whole security procedure was insane. I was treated like a criminal until otherwise proven.

^Man if you thought it was bad back then it is way worse now. I've missed flights because of airport security in the States. They treat everybody like they are suicide bombers it's absolutely crazy.

^I flew from Amsterdam to Munich to Rome while tripping on mushrooms. They kicked in right as I was going through airport security in Amsterdam. It was quite the experience ;)

If I had done that in the States I'd probably be in Guantanamo bay right now haha

For real. Oh those were the days. No way I would want to be on plane though. I would have to really change my mind set about that trip.

Yeah once your in Europe, you can move freely between the countries by train, the only time my passport was checked was when I flew into Amsterdam from London and they just looked at it and waved me through..

For real. Oh those were the days. No way I would want to be on plane though. I would have to really change my mind set about that trip.

I had the same thought before I took them but I said fuck it and ate them anyway. I didn't want to bring them on the plane but I didn't want to throw them away either so yeah.

It actually turned out to be a really great trip. It was sunny and clear over Germany and the German countryside was quite beautiful and I had a great window seat. It was a spiritual experience looking out the plane window let me tell you.

I did almost lose it at security though but I held it together.

Speaking of taking drugs, it is still worthwhile to be careful. I'd bought a bit of mdma in Amsterdam, too much for me to use by myself so I considered taking it to London with me (my next destination) because up til then I had had no problems whatsoever crossing borders, in fact I hadn't even been stopped at the border when driving/getting a bus across them. Thankfully, on my last night in Amsterdam I decided to share the remaining mdma out with some friends in the hostel, because at the French/English border, our bus was chosen randomly to be searched, and out of all the passengers, I was chosen for a full search! I was definitely glad I didn't have anything on me, although depending where I hid it I probably could've got away with it as they didn't search me thoroughly, but I was glad I was comfortable knowing I didn't have anything so didn't look nervous at all.

Out of all the borders I had the most trouble at the English border, they required a few details from me like the address and contact details of where I was staying, how long I'd be staying, and they were generally just suspicious and asked me a few belligerent questions as to why I was there.

Another tip I forgot to mention - look at the car pooling sites. There you can find spare seats for people travelling from place to place - it's a great alternative to buses or planes, often really cheap (I paid 30 euros for a seat in a car driving from Berlin to Den Haag) and it's also a good way to meet people.

Speaking of taking drugs, it is still worthwhile to be careful.our bus was chosen randomly to be searched, and out of all the passengers, I was chosen for a full search! I was definitely glad I didn't have anything on me, although depending where I hid it I probably could've got away with it as they didn't search me thoroughly, but I was glad I was comfortable knowing I didn't have anything so didn't look nervous at all.

Meh, even if you had still had the MDMA they would just make you dump it. Doubt even a fine.

I've been stopped at that border in my car a few times for full searches and they found weed, hash, speed and just had me dump it. They are looking for drug movers with LARGE amounts and don't worry about small user amounts.

Thanks everyone.This is all good advice.

The policy of systematic exclusion in the states has gotten ridiculous. Once you have any type of felony on your record (even misdemeanors in some cases) you can pretty much bank on the rest of your life becoming a lot more difficult. It's even worse in my home state (Florida). After having my civil rights reinstated, I was recently stripped of my rights to vote by an elected crook. This is politically motivated ruthlessness at its worst.

Having to bear a scarlet letter for eternity for a little bit of cocaine in a crumbling economy is a harsh punishment indeed.
After I'm done with grad school I am leaving for greener pastures.

ok, I'm done with my rant

Time to man up and get on with it. You are 29 so stop making excuses and waiting for someone to come with you and hold your hand, it'll probably never happen otherwise.

I've travelled all over the world, usually solo, to Europe, Asia, South America, Australia. You'll meet people everywhere. Probably find that you'll have company most of the time whether you want it or not. Travelling solo can actually be better as you're free to do as you please, more open to meeting new people, you can make your own plans and go off with people you've just met. No chance of having disagreements with your friends over where to go or what to see.

Don't think you'll have any issues with drug convictions.

Travel light. A 35litre rucksack is more than enough, keep the weight under 10kgs. If you can get it down to 7kgs it'll be light enough to take onto most flights as hand luggage. I manage this OK and I take a decent amount of clothes with me and everything else I need, though most people I see have huge and heavy bags, not sure what they put in them. They never seem to have much either. The secret is to use compression / packing sacks. Saves on space.

Don't plan much in advance, work out where you are going first, book a couple nights accommodation in advance and then wing it from there. I never make plans now but on my first trip I had it all planned out where I wanted to go, what countries etc. After 4 days the plan completely changed and ended up going to a load of countries that were never on the plan.

I've never felt in any real danger and I do some stupid shit when travelling sometimes. Partying and buying drugs in favellas in Rio De Janeiro, going off with a sketchy girl to her tin hut house in a bad area to fuck her whilst her dad and brothers slept in nearbye rooms in Peru, going to a prison in Bolvia for a tour and to buy coke, walking in areas at night that you're told to avoid when blind drunk pretty much everywhere, hanging out in bars in a very run down area of Sarajevo, Bosnia that hadn't recovered from the war, and tons of other stuff that looking back on doesn't seem wise. Never been mugged, robbed, attacked, pick pocketed or threatened as far as I can remember. Europe is fairly safe anyway.

Meh, even if you had still had the MDMA they would just make you dump it. Doubt even a fine.

I've been stopped at that border in my car a few times for full searches and they found weed, hash, speed and just had me dump it. They are looking for drug movers with LARGE amounts and don't worry about small user amounts.

You can't be 100% sure they would make you dump it, you could end up in a lot of trouble. Wouldn't recommend carrying drugs across borders, not worth the risk.

Last edited:
Bunch of pics from my most recent backpacking trip in yosemite

NSFW:

325099_317197625043734_232570587_o.jpg

IMG_20120820_145820.jpg

IMG_20120820_164134.jpg

IMG_20120820_165219.jpg

IMG_20120820_173836.jpg

IMG_20120820_173836.jpg

IMG_20120821_074852.jpg

It was, my knee is still killing me from lugging a 40 lb pack around though.

hmm a little back story would be a nice idea I think: My family always went on treks and hikes over everywhere, will explain later. Never really enjoyed them into I turned them into army games (I was little...) but of course this got a little old so I eventually lost all respect for the wilderness. This period only lasted a little while until we kind of did a family swap with someone in the centre of London. We stayed at theirs first, and they had never been to the beach, the moors, never even camped. My brothers weren't at all interested so I took their kids out for a camping trip, all 3 of them 14-19 while I was just about 14 maybe 13. I can barely My enthusiasm sent me into overdrive and have never not enjoyed a little walk across my local.

Now I live in Devon, UK. We're within an hour of the finest surfing beaches, Exmoor, Dartmoor and a little further is Bodmin moor. We also have several large woods or forests. Having travelled most of Britain now, I honestly believe I live in the most beautiful diverse area in all of Britain.

Do you like to hike?
Yes. It's not a regular thing any more but if a party is over and I'm still buzzed, a hike it is. Probably my favourite thing to do on drugs as well.
What is your favorite hiking spot?
I don't know if this is one of my fantasies or not since I haven't been up there a while (probably a good 9-10 years), but after walking for about 8 hours in the direction of behind my house you get to this most amazing spot where you can see Wales, Lundy and I swear most of Devon. You can see the patchwork quilt of fields, the sea, the coasts and I just remember sitting with Mum on this log we pulled up this hill watching this spectacular sunset over the sea and feeling the chill of the sun disappearing. It brings shivers to me now. I plan on making this trip with a female friend of mine that we both only recently found out each other enjoys a bit of psychoactive abuse, I'm just worried it's not what I imagine it to be.

Spiritually though, there's a route which starts at a layby in the road somewhere in Dartmoor. We park up there on the same day every year and have done so every day since my Dad's father died. Crossing the road we pass between two old gate posts into an ancient graveyard with very few stones remaining. There's a dead old tree he used to sit on while we all played cricket on the little space to our left, another family tradition for 100s of years. The boundaries marked out by the road, the old tree, a dried out river and my favourite two little trees which are always the richest crimson whenever we go. Strangely it's always dry on this day. Never too hot, never too cold, always dry and never too cloudy. Just right. Never been different once. Looking through the middle of the 2 trees shows us the next target. Another little gateway restored recently with out of place white-marble. After that there's a faint trail leading us to the place my grandfather lies to rest - Haytor Rock. The national trust wouldn't actually allow us to bury him there, but we did. This is where he would walk the dog, Tara, every single day rain or shine. We had no idea why really... it was miles from his home and took up at least 4 hours of his day while he was fit but he did it. I always like to say a little prayer to all 3 of my fallen grandparents and we make our way home on a completely different track. Really means a lot to me, words cannot justify.

Why do you like/dislike hiking?
You can do it on your own or with others, either way I make sure the scenario is simply flawless (except Snowdon... Never had a cloudless day :\
Where do you suggest others should go hiking?
Places that mean something to you, in the countryside, along a beach, at day, at night, for sun rise, for sun set, sober or under the influence but never anywhere boring. Oh and fuck Norfolk, it's so flat and uninteresting.
Any cool hiking stories?
Many but my poor literacy skills would never do them justice. Will try to find some pictures.

So this map vaguelly covers where I've gone for nice long walks. Looking at it now, I've barely covered half which is disappointing.
Scotland
I'm not entirely sure where we went exactly in Scotland, but often we'd finally come home at like 2am because of the huge drives. I've only been there once, for two weeks and it was probably best time for animals - saw ospreys, golden eagles, red squirrels etc. I also saw this huge huge bird flying through the trees not far from us, but it was dark so it was difficult to work out what it was... whatever it was it was bigger than the golden eagles we saw and was in a wood so couldn't have been them.

Ireland
Basically lived there for 3 or 4 summer holidays covering the coast clockwise. First time we ever went there it was hottest place in Europe at the time - 38C so we didn't actually get around to doing much walking. My favourite place here is Inishboffin, the entire place is stuck in like early 1900s, it's now only accessible by a fairly small ferry where minor food supplies and transported but most importantly for them the tourists. Seriously, they are repping original tractors and have stone houses, shits cray. Also I think it means Island of the cow. We stayed in some cottage looking out to it, next to the Burren (not a fan of stone). It's probably my favourite place I've been to away from 'home'. Would love to retire and live there.

Wales
Mothers land, for some reason always rained no matter what. Don't really have anything fascinating to say about Wales tbph, maybe pics would refresh my memory but I can say Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

England
South West is best. Norfolk way is shite

Oh, also I've been to the most Northerly, Easterly, Westerly, and Southerly points of both Mainland UK and UK+Ireland

1J1SQ.png

Last edited:
Going to northern Arizona, southern Utah next week. We are planning day hikes to keep equipment down, comfort up, and the region offers many outstanding day hikes. I can't wait!!

Has Anyone traveled/lived in Ecuador recently?

I finally acted on something I have needed to do since my son died and that is to send myself off into a bit of self-exile. My plan is to find a place I like and to rent a room and stay there in order to get to know a community rather than than just passing through as a backpacker. I also want to write, so traveling hostel to hostel sounds too distracting.

I have been studying Spanish for a while and I am conversant but by no means fluent but I wanted to pick a Spanish speaking country so that I would automatically have to knock it up a notch. I have traveled a lot in Mexico and Central America but never South America so I just kind of threw a dart and Ecuador is what I have come up with. I have a free ticket but no money so I will have to teach English while I am there to earn enough to stay. I have saved enough for my first week but after that it is a big question mark. My plan is to try to spend four months (the amount of leave I took from my job).

Has anyone traveled or lived there? Did you travel with electronics (laptop)?

What were your favorite towns/places?

Any advice specific to Ecuador?

Some photos from my most recent backpacking trip. We spend 2 nights in the 1000 island lake area exploring.

hail, lightening and thunder on the way up
5-2_zpsd5d5c71e.jpg

DSCN0855_zps92856474.jpg

7_zps3cc5d44c.jpg

DSCN0915_zpsedf44cc8.jpg

DSCN0877_zps4461d94b.jpg

DSCN0901_zps01e8aad3.jpg

DSCN0894_zps84782dfe.jpg

10_zps6d9a3af9.jpg

DSCN0854_zpsc5e51a85.jpg

pano222jpeg_zps68633706.jpg