• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

the market: stocks, bonds, options, whatever

Fuckin hell, there have been layoff announcements nonstop this month - Microsoft, Lockheed, Riot Games, Wayfair, Google, Discord, Unity... that's not even the total :knife::dowat::itsfine2:

I'd been cash-only for a while, preparing for the down payment on my house, but now that that's over with I jumped into long bonds near what's looking like it might have been the bottom. Achieved close to a 100% annualized yield on one of those boring old investment-grade bonds so far.

Bought more well into the rally and now I'm getting reamed! It wasn't really a short-term trade though, so I'll wait it out.

Bought more well into the rally and now I'm getting reamed! It wasn't really a short-term trade though, so I'll wait it out.

what are you referring to? i'm extremely bearish on bonds, tbh. there's a debt crisis on the way, it's going to hit bond holders hardest imho

what are you referring to? i'm extremely bearish on bonds, tbh. there's a debt crisis on the way, it's going to hit bond holders hardest imho

Long duration, high-quality, domestic bonds. I bought at the peak in yields a couple months ago, which has worked out very well so far, but then bought more at the recent bottom, which has not. I'm more bullish on bonds in the medium term, and wanted to lock in while I could, since it doesn't look like the 5% we're getting on cash deposits is going to last too much longer.

but why bonds? why not stable dividend ETFs that pay out >5% plus a tax credit on the dividends?

Need to figure out stock portfolio and investments, after taxes and legal issues( non criminal bs).

Crypto investment guide. Find most TVL and Volume Layer-1 solutions.
Go here: https://defillama.com/dexs/chains
Create list of top 10
Next go here: https://defillama.com/chains
Create list of top 10

Filter results to those which are in both lists.

Evenly divide investment amount into each native coin of that particular L1 chain (Etherium = ETH; Polygon = MATIC; etc.)

Combine with dollar-cost-averaging.
Shoulda taken my own advice!

but why bonds? why not stable dividend ETFs that pay out >5% plus a tax credit on the dividends?
Both are paying about 5%, and my tax-sheltered accounts aren't full, so it really comes down to where I see price levels going over the next several years. With bonds at lows not seen in 15 years, and stocks close to all-time highs, I feel there's a better chance of bonds being up a few years from now than stocks. I could be completely off the mark, of course.

that seems sensible, I also am feeling a bit uneasy about the current valuations and have been selling off small amounts to rebalance into more stable stuff like utilities, etc.

I think that one big advantage of the Canadian economy is the cartel nature of certain industries. sectors like banking and utilities are pretty well shielded from competition and have a captive market so they are I would even say as reliable as bonds when taken in aggregate (i.e. ETFs)

baby-chart-finance-rollercoaster-amateur-freakingout.gif

what's gonna be hot next?

there's big money moving into oil but things are murky, plus it's a weird market with stealth tankers roaming the high seas like wandering bees blessing ports with sanctioned nectar.

sanctions on semis also being worked around -

sanctions evasion has moved up a few places on my short list of business ideas. how hard can it be to ship? i've done that before! get fedex on the horn, i heard they could use some business

Finally decided this week to tighten up my portfolio. I had like 35 stocks invested and now I know that's a bad strategy. Stickin to like 15 - 20. Feels good tho to clean up even though I took a loss or two.

So here's a question.

With MDMA rescheduling looking like it's going to happen by August, are there related opportunities in the market? I am aware of Numinus Wellness, with Rick Doblin just having announced he'll be advising them for free. On the other hand, MAPS isn't participating in that company's current share offering, so I don't really know what's up there. Thoughts about ways to invest in what I assume is going to be a big market for this therapy?

If it's for therapy I'm assuming there will be a list of approved vendors, I'd wager those guys will be getting most of the sales. There's nothing really in terms of R&D involved in this so I'm thinking the value will be in who can nab the most lucrative contracts to supply it.

I agree with that, and there's already a list of approved suppliers in Canada (noting your avatar). That space is going to get crowded quickly, as the patent for MDMA is long-expired and MAPS's synthesis method is in the public domain. No secret sauce, just price competition. The patented novel compounds are yeeeeeeears away.

Bought some SGMO this morning to hold for over a year for phase 3 data from a Pfizer trial and a big milestone payment they should get, and the FDA just made a different phase 3 trial design easier with no control arm.

Last edited: