View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The LSD Dilemma

whiteroom67

Bluelighter
I'll start off by saying that without a doubt I am a big believer in the benefits of psychedelics if used responsibly. Anyone who has read any of my other posts relating to psychedelics (including my "Ayahuasca in Ecuador" thread), probably knows this already. I think psychedelics have a LOT of potential benefits for mental, emotional and spiritual growth. It can mature you beyond your years. It can provide years worth of therapeutic benefit in the time span of only a few hours. But they DEFINITELY have their risks too, no doubt, as I have discovered and you will soon see as well. Having said all that, I'm also NOT one of those that thinks psychedelic use always has to be some sort of serious spiritual undertaking. Sometimes it can be fun. Let it be fun. When I use psychedelics, which for me is maybe an average of once every month or two, about half of that time is fun, and the other half turns out to be pretty spiritual, or more on the serious side. I don't ever go into it with either of those intentions, I just make sure my set and setting is what it should be and the ratio of spiritual vs fun just kinda works out like that... more or less 1:1.

Also, a little background leading up to this point regarding my mindset. I had recently read the book "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle, and it had a profound effect on me. I felt as if I was instantly able to tune into what he was teaching and it really changed my life in a HUGE way directly after reading it. For some reason, it was very easy for me to do what he preached about staying present, staying aware of excessive thoughts and feelings which are created by the ego, and by watching them, they would go away. Being suddenly aware of this changed my life and I felt almost like a new person. I had also just physically kicked an oxycodone addiction, and looking at the 12 steps, realized my higher power was the Now, pure presence, that which Tolle had spoken about in his book. I felt on top of the world. I felt in total control of my wgo, but I knew not to lt it get to me, because of course again that would be my ego. Through all of this, I just felt great, changed, amazing, egoless. Nothing bothered me anymore the way I used to and I didn't even think of using. Although it was around this time I discovered Kratom, and enjoyed it, but only used it once a day, after work and after the gym, in just one small dose (around 4 or 5 grams), just as the typical person may have a glass of wine at the end of the night - in other words, no big deal and hardly any dependence on it. Regardless, I felt great and in total control of my ego and my life, and was happy to accept anything and everything at any moment in time, merging with the present constantly and effortlessly. I also, still liked psychedelics and used them like I said above, maybe once every month or two, in low to moderate doses, just for my own recreational/spiritual use (I prefer tripping alone most of the time).

And so, with that said here is the dilemma that I created for myself. LSD is much different than shrooms for me. For most people yes of course they are different, but what I mean specifically is shrooms can provide amazing insight and have nice after effects, but it is just a psychological change of perspective. With LSD on the other hand, the after effects actual feel physical. Like an actual rewiring of my brain. And out of this, I got myself into a little bit of an issue...

Before the experience I'm about to tell you about, it had been a LONG time since I had last taken LSD - like years, but I had taken shrooms a couple of times in the months prior and had great trips. Well, for the first time in years, almost a year ago, I finally took LSD...

It wasn't a good day to take LSD.

My parents were out of town, and had just left that day. My brother was underage at the time. His good friend was also underage. But I considered them smart, and mature for their age - stupid me. Reckless me. That day, around 11 AM, we each dropped a tab, it was both of their first times. I had my doubts but since I felt so great and in control all the time, and they seemed ready for it, I figured it was no big deal. Another wonderful facet to this adventure however is the fact that my brother was planning on having a RAGER later that very same night. None of this bothered me before the trip kicked in. After all, we only took one tab each.

Well, the trip kicked in, and THAT was when I suddenly realized, I am now responsible for these 16 year-olds tripping on acid in my house, and would soon also be responsible for 40 more 16 year-olds drinking in my house later that same night, WHILE I WAS ON ACID. As I peaked, I saw my brother and friend not as the smart, mature kids for their age anymore, but as 16 year olds acting like 16 year olds... doing retarded stuff, weird stuff, playing with knives, slapping themselves in the face as hard as they could, stuff that made me realize I as a legal adult was responsible for these fucking kids. I just wanted bliss, to enhance my spirituality, but I could not do that now - as I was now ACUTELY aware of how responsible I was for such a bad decision. All the while, also thinking about what would be going on less than 8 hours from now, with tons more of these kids in my house drinking. Not to mention the fact that, at that time, I had tons of other illegal drugs in the house - what the fuck was I thinking this day? Thinking back, I was a fucking idiot for thinking I could put myself in this situation and have a "blissful and spiritua; experience." I didn't really think of any of this before, until the acid kicked in. THEN I was aware of what a bad decision this as. The acid MADE me aware. The trip itself was basically just nonstop paranoid anxiety all the way through. The music they were blasting that I can't stand (EDM) didn't help either, and the kids also started showing up early to party. Everything did turn out fine in the end, and looking back I guess it's a good story, but at the time, all I could think and FEEL was that something terrible would happen.

Well, the problem is, that trip stuck with me. Starting the very next day (if not the same day), I was no longer the joyful, blissful egoless being enjoying pure consciousness etc as I was before that trip. Up till even now (though now it's not nearly as bad - it's much netter than it was like 8 months ago), that ego voice would consume me all day. I would be angrier, more irritable, more anxious, more depressed, less fulfilled, and less present now. Even when I tied, that ego voice seemed stronger and it is not easy like it was before the trip to feel open and spiritual. I was no longer tolerant of things, no longer as patient, or as accepting. I basically feel like that trip brought me way backwards in my spiritual development. I have also since then relapsed on opiates and quit again (I am clean, with the exception of low-moderate Kratom use) but feel more mentally dependent on things now, of course. That trip really did fuck me.... and it was my own fault for being irresponsible... on so many levels.

My dilemma is now... I have been scared, and still am to consider the possible solution... I haven't done LSD since then. I have done shrooms a couple times, but the trips weren't as good, though they weren't horrible... I have also gone to Ecuador and done Ayahuasca, and while it was a great, if intense experience, it didn't change or help that negative rewiring of my brain I seemed to experience from LSD.

So my question is, now that some time has passed and I still haven't returned to my amazing mental and spiritual state I possessed beforehand, should I return to the source and use LSD to try and reverse this? To bring myself up to a more positive "vibration" if you want to call it that? Possibly use a small amount of MDMA to ensure a positive experience during the peak/comedown? It is risky I know. It could make things worse, or it could make them better. I would be by myself for the trip (what I usually prefer), with the right set and setting this time FOR SURE, and I would focus the trip on bringing me back to where I was before this shitty ass trip that happened almost a year ago, which unfortunately seemed to affect me long term like this.

Good idea? Bad idea? Opinions please? :?

Also, another option I was considering was... Iboga.

Anyone else have this type of experience before?

Wow, that's a tough one. It could help or it could make it worse, like you said. Hmm...

Taking acid again in your ideal environment doesn't sound like a terrible idea to me, adding mdma to the mix sounds like a good one. You ever talk to your brother about that trip? Or take on some new duties and responsibilities?

sounds like the tide came in and the tide went out.
the shock of it is that it is so easy to think you know stuff - so easy to be cock sure, and that's when mistakes happen.

you will get some perspective on this, and approach things a bit more delicately, you don't need to worry about wiring of your brain. your brain is fine, just shocked.

Take it. I've been there, seriously. I'd relate my story but im on the come up of some 25i nboh and a good bit loopy and typing is weird. Suffice to say that I've put myself in to some odd headspaces and came to the decision that i needed a trip to fix a failed trips effects. You are not unique in this dilemma. Just take it, I dont know what it is, just get your psychadelic closure. Either you find your way back to peace or you don't. I did, im sure you can too.

Taking acid again in your ideal environment doesn't sound like a terrible idea to me, adding mdma to the mix sounds like a good one. You ever talk to your brother about that trip? Or take on some new duties and responsibilities?

I have talked to him about that trip... he said he didn't mind it too much, but did say that as his first experience, he does think it was a bad day to do it because even he was worrying about the party to come during the trip. He also said compared to shrooms he didn't like it as much, because he felt like "too much was going on". I explained to him that first of all, that was because of the situation, because I felt that way too, and it isn't always like that, and it was also because of his friend that we were with too, who frankly, wouldn't shut up the entire time... he played couch. He just kept going on about revelation after revelation and a big part of the trip (besides stressing about the situation itself) was just having to listen to him go on like it was a job. I told my brother, he should try it one more time, with a different set and setting, and then make his decision about it. Plus, when my brother tried shrooms, it was comparably a much lower dose - so it still wasn't really comparable in that sense.

I told my brother about how I felt too, and he agreed and was able to see my perspective on it - on why for me it wasn't the greatest of trips.

As far as taking on new duties and responsibilities... what do you mean exactly?

You could use the negative experience to examine what it is you actually believe in. You felt a sense of responsibility to your brother and your worries and concerns were completely appropriate give your role in his life. Maybe the message and related difficulty can only be resolved by understanding what exactly it was that bothered you and try and figure out a way to prevent that by becoming more openly responsible towards life and embracing that change. I don't know if having another trip will reverse this issue; the way to make it positive would be to look at what it showed you and understand it and bring that understanding into your real life.

If i'm being honest, you seem to be engaging in magical thinking. Believing doing ayahuasca will "fix" some re-wiring of your brain, or that taking lsd again can revert it, or that taking some other drug can.

I feel the best thing you could do now was just go with the flow. Stop using psychedelics, stop smoking and just give it a lot of time and you will naturally feel better again. Stop numbing yourself. And then and only then, when you feel you are back to baseline and feeling good about your life, make a decision about whether or not you want to trip again.

I wasn't there and my input is as valid as any other stranger's - that is, not very much. But i would maybe hypothesize that you felt irresponsible for dosing yourself and the two kids while having a huge party to watch and take care of, including the people and the house. You said nothing happened - but easily a lot of complicated stuff could've happened and imagine dealing with that on acid? People fighting, breaking the house, overdosing, someone unintentionally starting a fire, I mean a million nasty things could've happened and you were in a terrible position to be on top of it. It's hard to hide from the truth in some ways when you are tripping, and it hit you like a brick when you thought about it and said what did I do. If you were sober you would've had much more control over the situation and would've been able to be much more on top of it.

So perhaps you could've realized "what the hell am i doing, with this obsession in using drugs and tripping even at moments that I should know better? Where's this coming from?" and decided to take a break from drugs and living it a bit more sober... finding happiness in yourself and in your day to day life rather than finding an "answer" or the "solution" in a chemical...

I think the advice that has been given in this thread is terrible harm reduction... you are young man, just take it easy relax step off of that world for a while, you'll get better and then choose what to do.

You could use the negative experience to examine what it is you actually believe in. You felt a sense of responsibility to your brother and your worries and concerns were completely appropriate give your role in his life. Maybe the message and related difficulty can only be resolved by understanding what exactly it was that bothered you and try and figure out a way to prevent that by becoming more openly responsible towards life and embracing that change. I don't know if having another trip will reverse this issue; the way to make it positive would be to look at what it showed you and understand it and bring that understanding into your real life.

that's it, great advice

There's bad trips and bad trips. It's one thing to not enjoy an experience, to go through a bad time but after its over being alright again after a couple of days or weeks. But the really bad ones are the ones that stick with you for a long time after. You say it's been a year, you are still in a bad spot. You absolutely should stop tripping and give it more time.

Hi! After reading your text i knew i had to register and write to you. English is not my first language - so in doubt please use your imagination ;)
I have been using Shrooms for some time and i simply loved it when they brought me to this state that you were describing. When coming down it was always very disappointing when this state of consciousness finally collapsed.

About 6 months ago i tripped on my first candy-flip and there this state was again! It was a very clear trip - so i started paying attention what lead to it. I switched from Shrooms to LSD and tried to replicate this state. I developed my own little routine and it worked like a charm every time! Pure bliss - pure, unlimited consciousness. And i noticed a pattern. That first my thoughts(the inner voice) somehow melted away, became transparent and somehow completed the picture. Like its supposed to be that way. And then my Ego stopped being a hindering force but went into the background and enjoyed the show. And all that was left was clear awareness. In the afterglow of the trips i used to meditate to keep this state up as long as possible but it always collapsed.

And one night it happened: I sobered up but i kept myself in that state for more or less for a week. If i lost it for a short moment it was easy to get into it again. What a great week. But - like a poster before mentioned: the tide went out. It was getting harder and harder and it left me again. But on the good side: From this time on it was very easy for me to find this form of consciousness during meditation. Calming the mind and oberserving the one that is aware.

Around this time i started googling like mad to find help - and i also found Eckhart Tolle... a person whos books i would have used to start a bbq only a year ago. Well... i changed my mind about him. Read with an open mind his teachings(buddhism for the lazy?) really helped. I first had to learn to read some things "with a winking eye" ;) - Robert Anton Wilson taught me that.

My current status is that i am still in my old mode of consciousness but with a little effort of like a minute of calming the mind i can turn the switch back on. If it is getting too hard i microdose LSD(every 3rd to 4th day up to a week) and i am good to go again.

For me its almost impossible to keep my daily routine and workload and to stay in the now. We are living in a Ego-driven society and so its easy to lose the ballance - especially if my sense for responsibility(i am running a company) is in overdrive. But if my Ego is getting out of hand i try to find a park, sit down and calm my mind for an hour or so. Its not perfect but maybe some day i can switch my default mode. If this should not happen then i can accept it - i learned so much from it and i finally understood the power of meditation. :)

So maybe a nice - not too strong candyflip with an analytical aproach combined with meditation might do the trick? It could at least work wonders on your negative mindset. Oh and one thing i noticed was that Alcohol kills "the now" for me pretty instantly. I do not take any numbing substances so i can not talk about their effects.

I hope that you find something useful in my lines. I think i know what you lost and why you want it back so desperately. But anyways best of luck on your journey and have fun enjoying this wonderful experience called life!

I once took Acid with my brother and his mate round at his mates house. They were potent blotter type Acid with a picture of a penguin on them. We each dropped 1 tab each and as soon as I took it I could tell it was quality stuff by the taste. My Brothers mate had his girlfriend with him and she opted out of taking any. After an hour or so My Brothers mate was proper freaking out convinced I had poisoned him and his misses was having a go at me too as I supplied the LSD

I mean what a freaky night and when we started peaking all hell broke loose my brothers mate was crying. He wanted to go home to his mums down the road bad idea he even locked himself in the bog convinced I was trying to kill him and send him to the devil. MY brother and I were tripping balls and had his misses screaming at us she was doing her nut. Fuck knows what the neighbours thought of all this because it was not a quiet night. I was convinced the old bill were going to show up which was fine as we had no drugs left. But could I handle the police while tripping? luckily they didn't turn up we managed to calm Nigel down in the end after 5 hours. His misses does not have much time for me she thinks I am a bad influence although her fella does coke and speed. Just goes to show there are some that can do LSD and there are some who should stay well away

Bluthuster I feel honored that you would create a profile and register just for me and my post lol. That's awesome! Hope you stick around.

Willow11 and sexNcandy... thanks for the good and honest advice, I agree with what you both say. I think I understand what it is that is keeping me down - your posts bothered me the first few seconds I read them - especially yours sexNcandy, but by telling my ego to shut-the-fuck-up and listen, I was able to accept it within very little time. When I drank Ayahuasca, one thing that was communicated to me as well during one part of the trip now that I remember was how my obsession with drugs was impeding my progress in life, and how that part of my life needs to be cut down to a much lower key. I was/am an opiate addict, and just recently, have admitted this problem to myself, have become comfortable with it, and started going for therapy - so it's not like drugs were a once in awhile thing for me (psychedelics are/were once in a while/recreational level, but not drugs in general - i.e. opiates), and that trip on acid made me aware of how sensitive of a situation drugs in general can be when being introduced to my brother, and my large amount of responsibility in the seriousness of not just that short-term situation, but how his life can be affected in the long run by it as well - it was all connected. That day was just a total slam in the face, that acid showed me. It was "all good" for me until that point and I think until now, until you guys made it obvious, my subconscious just wasn't ready to face it and that's why I have been so uneasy all this time. That along with some other things that bother me regarding my life at the moment. I am planning on moving out soon from my parents place finally, something that has been eating at me for a long time (it's time to be on my own)... which when I do that I feel will have an awesome positive impact on my self-esteem and will help establish myself as the adult I should be, which is directly connected with the adult I should have been that day a year ago with my brother, and his friend.

When that point comes, the point of having my own place, which will be very soon, and now FINALLY understanding the role that LSD had played in forcing me up the ladder of maturity (that originally I was not ready to accept), I think I will once again be at THAT point, where my ego will calm down, because I will be more comfortable in my new matured role, and THEN, when the day is right, be ready for that low-moderate dose candy-flip which I feel will then "seal-the-deal" with myself.

This is good, I like this...

All bad trips DO turn out good in the end, you just have to figure out how, and why, and that is our responsibility as psychonauts.

And then there is Iboga...

Last edited:
I know you know this because we've talked about it, but I did iboga recently to get off opiates, and it worked, and also led me to change other areas of my life such as working out daily and eating right, and I'm so happy to do it. If any psychedelic is appropriate for you, it would be iboga. Just make sure to plan well and have someone watching you for 3 days or more, all the time. I didn't do that and I'm lucky to be safe and unharmed right now.

I know you know this because we've talked about it, but I did iboga recently to get off opiates, and it worked, and also led me to change other areas of my life such as working out daily and eating right, and I'm so happy to do it. If any psychedelic is appropriate for you, it would be iboga. Just make sure to plan well and have someone watching you for 3 days or more, all the time. I didn't do that and I'm lucky to be safe and unharmed right now.

Definitely, for sure. I already workout and eat right (well, sort of eat right, but I can clean up my diet easily with a little more effort and willpower, I;ve done it before) - and I definitely think Iboga would be wonderful, if not perfect for me - I agree with you 100%.

One thing I also forgot to mention - was my relationship with m brother's friends since this incident last year. Before that, I almost felt like I could be on their level, despite them only being 16/17. After that experience, I feel more separated, like I need to play more the "adult" role around them - which is good, but also something I haven't fully been able to come to terms with because I like being able to put myself on anyone's level, despite their age, class, beliefs, personality, etc. Since then I have felt more disconnected with them - I think because I haven't been able to come to terms with my more "adult" role that LSD forced upon me since then.

I really can't wait for the Iboga experience though lol

@OP -

I had a similar experience back in '12. Abstinence from drugs in general did the trick. I second the poster who said you need to get your life together first before you dabble again. That's just good HR.

Dosing again might help, but when I tried that, I just had my negative mindset worsen.

If I were to abstain from everything for awhile before dosing again... in everyone's opinion... where is that line drawn exactly? Where is the line? I don't usually drink coffee... but coffee is certainly a drug, however instead of coffee, I use low doses of Kratom 1-3 times a day. Now I don't use large, opiate like doses either; I'm talking maybe around 4 grams per dose, just enough for that nice feeling that just lets me relax socially and give me just enough extra energy to focus while raising my mood. I find I cannot focus nearly as well without it, or get much work done, and that was before even discovering it. I have little trouble taking breaks from it once in awhile, which I don't really like doing but force myself to do, if even for just a few days, but again, my social life and work productivity go way down... but down to baseline - to what it always was before using Kratom. The fact that I use it does bother me a little, but... I don't know, does that count? If I could relax and focus the way I do while on it, then of course I'd be much happier not having to use it, but like I said I don't even really drink coffee... so I don't really know where to draw the line as far as "abstinence from drugs"... until the time is right. I've even taken a liking to Potion 9's too... and Coca tea as well before workouts and such (but not actual cocaine... haven't used that in a very long time). I rarely ever smoke pot anymore either by the way. It makes me way too paranoid/anxious/overly self-analytical.

I still think Iboga would be great for me, but that's a different, special kind of undertaking that probably won't be done for at least several months minimum in any case. But as far as abstinence, again, where is the line drawn?

Last edited:
A friend of mine once had a similar experience to yours, a troubled LSD experience which left some long-lasting effects he had trouble reconciling. However, he recently had some experiences with MXE and 3-meo-pcp that seemed to correct the wiring issue. I'll have him post his details if he wants to.

I don't even know what MXE or 3-meo-pcp are... I never heard of them. I was never into trying RC's... I haven't even done any of the 2C class chems... I tend to stick with the classics... but sure, have him post his details if he wants.

Bluthuster I feel honored that you would create a profile and register just for me and my post lol. That's awesome! Hope you stick around.

Willow11 and sexNcandy... thanks for the good and honest advice, I agree with what you both say. I think I understand what it is that is keeping me down - your posts bothered me the first few seconds I read them - especially yours sexNcandy, but by telling my ego to shut-the-fuck-up and listen, I was able to accept it within very little time. When I drank Ayahuasca, one thing that was communicated to me as well during one part of the trip now that I remember was how my obsession with drugs was impeding my progress in life, and how that part of my life needs to be cut down to a much lower key. I was/am an opiate addict, and just recently, have admitted this problem to myself, have become comfortable with it, and started going for therapy - so it's not like drugs were a once in awhile thing for me (psychedelics are/were once in a while/recreational level, but not drugs in general - i.e. opiates), and that trip on acid made me aware of how sensitive of a situation drugs in general can be when being introduced to my brother, and my large amount of responsibility in the seriousness of not just that short-term situation, but how his life can be affected in the long run by it as well - it was all connected. That day was just a total slam in the face, that acid showed me. It was "all good" for me until that point and I think until now, until you guys made it obvious, my subconscious just wasn't ready to face it and that's why I have been so uneasy all this time. That along with some other things that bother me regarding my life at the moment. I am planning on moving out soon from my parents place finally, something that has been eating at me for a long time (it's time to be on my own)... which when I do that I feel will have an awesome positive impact on my self-esteem and will help establish myself as the adult I should be, which is directly connected with the adult I should have been that day a year ago with my brother, and his friend.

I'm glad to have helped :) Just so you know, I'm not at all passing judgments, I've had addictions and done everything in my power to completely fuck my life off, but I've forced myself to try and grow up and take back some of the peace and freedom that I'm entitled to. I just know that lingering unease in the mind can either be numbed down and dampened by mindlessness and drugs or it can be explored and understood and learned from after which you exploit what you've learned. I feel like we humans are not taught, and sometimes don't learn, how to interact with the mind and subconscious, and therefore tend to feel threatened by our darker emotions. Unpleasant emotions are as important as feeling physical pain; we evolved the ability to experience both of those states as a means of protecting our actual life- if we are in physical pain, we would do what we can to investigate it and remove that pain, but with negative emotional states, we tend to think they are incorrect or to be run from, instead of finding out what the source of the unease is and acknowledging and disarming it.

When that point comes, the point of having my own place, which will be very soon, and now FINALLY understanding the role that LSD had played in forcing me up the ladder of maturity (that originally I was not ready to accept), I think I will once again be at THAT point, where my ego will calm down, because I will be more comfortable in my new matured role, and THEN, when the day is right, be ready for that low-moderate dose candy-flip which I feel will then "seal-the-deal" with myself.

This is good, I like this...
:)

Have you considered other means of finding a bit of inner peace, perhaps something such as meditation? A lot of people find it very useful and I'd have to agree :)

FWIW, the process of maturing likely never stops, but I've found that it becomes more natural as you get a bit older. I look forward to it becoming smoother still. :)

I still think Iboga would be great for me, but that's a different, special kind of undertaking that probably won't be done for at least several months minimum in any case. But as far as abstinence, again, where is the line drawn?

I think only you can completely answer that, but anything that leaves you feeling unsettled when you have none or can't get any is probably not doing a lot of good for your sense of self.