• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

The Hottest Drugs?

Are you referring to a thermogenic compound? Something like DNP or 2,4-Dinitriphenol is a fat burner (that is extremely dangerous) that is used by many bodybuilders and shoots the temperature of the body up to around 102 degrees. It isn't a stimulant and wont give any effect except it makes you extremely hot. It is also used as a bug poison and as a a compound to detonate certain explosives. It is very illegal. I used it about 10 years ago when bodybuilding and felt like death.

IME it never raised my body temp, at least externally... still absolutely awful experience all around though.

I wish I couldn't say I took 900-1200mg some days and basically sat around wondering if I was going to die even though I was in no danger, 24/7 panic attacks etc.

FUCK DNP. It's honestly better for the average guy to use meth to lose weight.

I think you pose an interesting question, and there are a couple ways you could go about doing what you are suggesting. you could go with a drug that disregulates your bodies temprature control, I.E. Mdma, hence the molly sweats. though, this would not be a sure fire way to deal with extreme cold or warmth, as you cannot control if your body overheats or "under" heats for lack of a better term. the reason mdma makes you sweat is most likely because you have been dancing for the past three hours in a sea of people. or if you were to go with the pain killer/ opiate route, your body would certainly sense the heat or cold, just that the signal would not reach the appropriate part of the brain. Seeing as you develope tolerance to both drugs, the effects would likely be short lived.

a quick google reveals a list of chemicals which can induce a fever,
this could potentially make you less susceptible to extreme cold conditions and hypothermia. but then again, the risk and likely hood of negative side effects from the same drugs would make this approach undesirebale.

long story short, its a novel idea. But highly unlikely, unless you are born with a condition, or would like to give up feeling all together like a quadriplegic. Drugs are not going to produce the desired effects well.

Does a quadriplegic cause paralysis, and not numbing down the limbs so that a person can't feel anything? If a chemical causes loss of all touch and temperature senses, then that would work, as long as the person would still be able to move around.

I have been theorizing, that people born with certain conditions, may have a special part of the brain not functioning. A chemical might be able to numb that special part of the brain which is in charge of temperature sensing, similar to how a drug can increase or stop the flow of dopamine, and cause a stop in temperature sensing for a brief or indefinite amount of time.

I also know the leprosy can cause temperature sensory loss.

According to this article "There are medications and therapies that can help control the symptoms of sensory loss and deprivation" therefore, there should be medications which does the opposite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensory_loss

Last edited:
You wont feel cold, could wear less clothing in colder weather. Increase of stamina in colder weather. There probably are other reasons. It simply would improve someone's day, like any other drug does.

Rhodiola rosea is the best substance for minimizing the immediate impact of temperature turbulences for the organism imho. It is especially astonishing in the winter, but also works against hot temperatures in the summer.

Not exactly an answer, but most drugs that make you feel warm aren't increasing body temperature by a significant degree. Those that are are mostly of stimulants and hallucinogen. MDMA and similar drugs do increase core body temperature, around ~0.5°C but in significantly greater amounts, for obvious reasons, in club or festival type settings, and also cause increased sweating/diaphoresis and thus dehydration, magnifying the problem (see [1]). LSD and probably more obscure psychedelics can also increase body temperature but to a lesser degree. Phenethylamines are probably more active in doing so than tryptamines. Amphetamines do. I'm surprised nobody has named PMA yet, which is notorious for potentially lethal hyperthermia. The aforementioned diet drugs and various others, including yohimbine, ephedra, and other drugs often sold in combination in proprietary blends do too, and can to a dangerous degree. Opioids do give a mild but insignificant increase. EtOH actually decreases temperature but makes you feel warmers. Clonidine may be useful in decreasing hypothermia at least from certain drugs, but how far this can be generalized is questionable as is how strong the effect is (almost certainly not enough to, say, make PMA safe.)

Lots and lots of medications dysregulate heat regulation to some degree; many psychiatric medications decrease heat tolerance and/or perception of heat (one reason why you may see obviously mentally ill people walking around in heavy winter clothes during the summer—this is very notable for those of us who work with them, "dressed appropriately/inappropriately" for weather is one of the things almost always noted on a good thorough psychiatric/mental status exam; both mental illness itself and psych meds can dysregulate temperature.) Many medications also increase sweating, sometimes to an uncomfortable degree, the best response to this is usually clonidine and glycopyrollate, but the trouble with the latter is that it will decrease sweating but also to the point where sweating is not doing enough to regulate body temperature.)

As to the OP, I wonder the purpose of the question. Taking a drug to increase body temperature so as not to feel cold when going outside in the cold is a pretty dangerous idea as the subjective sense of heat is almost certainly going to be above the actual core body temperature. Also taking drugs that dramatically increase body temperature while exercising is going to compound the problem into potential dangerousness (taking MDMA in a club environment more or less doubles or more the temperature change; necessitating the basic harm reduction measures we all probably know about, although of course "staying hydrated" can go too far and kill you, and many of these drugs can also make you feel thirsty, even to the point of drinking enough to disrupt your electrolytes and cause seizures, etc. The risk is fairly remote with MDMA, but will be correspondingly worse with more serious thermogenic drugs.) This is why a lot of chronic alcoholics, especially homeless, freeze to death. There is nothing you can take that will preserve you from the effects of cold or hot weather, although you might feel so; many people take a nip out of a flask from time to time in cold weather, for instance, to "warm themselves up," they are only feeling so, but actually, their body temperature regulation is heading south and they are ultimately more vulnerable to the cold. So too are people who, on various drugs, like PCP, feel unbearably hot and delerious and take off all their clothes; not only do they look pretty dumb but if it's wintertime they're still putting themselves in danger, however, in dangerous acute hyperthermia ice baths, IV hydration, etc. may be needed for treatment, but this is a medical decision to be made based on actual temperature, not something to be done in the home. If it is that bad, medical treatment is necessary. On the other end of the spectrum, frostbite due to non-perception of the heat can easily lose you a toe, this is not that uncommon in chronic psychiatric homeless alcohol-abusing types, particularly if diabetes, at which they are already at risk, becomes part of the issue.

This post or any of my communications do not constitute professional advice nor do they establish a professional relationship of any kind; I make no claim to any specific professional credentials; in person consultation is essential for any medical, psychological, substance-related or harm reduction decisions. While peer support an advice can be helpful, any content posted online, regardless of it's source, cannot, by it's very nature, substitute for an in-person relationship with a clinician who has had the opportunity to take your history in the larger context and provide professional advice with all these factors, and others, taken into account.

Do you have any specific experiences regarding Rhodiola rosea? I couldn't find any online reviews or studies relating it to any temperature effects.

Yohimbine does seem to cause a temperature increase. Interestingly, the sale of ephedra was banned because of negative health effects.

I find it incredible, how EtoH can lower body temperature, yet the perceptive temperature will seem to be higher than it actually is, to the point that individuals can get hypothermia. I wonder if analogs of EtoH would also have a perceptive temperature increase. These analogs may also not lower the actual body temperature, making the experience safer. I speculate, that this may be the safest route, as the actual body temperature will not increase, thus avoiding all the negative effects from overheating. Maybe 2-methyl-2-butanol, or 3-Methyl-1-pentyn-3-ol, or Emylcamate might work? Their chemical formulas seem to be the closest to EtOH.

EtOH
200px-Ethanol-2D-skeletal.svg.png

3-methylpentan-3-ol
200px-3-Methyl-3-pentanol.svg.png

2-methylbutan-2-ol
200px-2-Methyl-2-butanol_FormulaV1-Seite001.svg.png

Emylcamate

200px-Emylcamate.svg.png

I simply believe that this can be an enjoyable effect, feeling "all nice and warm inside," without having to worry about the cold. I wouldn't want this for very low temperatures, to avoid hypothermia or frostbite. The best way these effects can be tested, might be by taking cold showers or baths for a set amount of time, and seeing how cold the water feels. Cold showers or baths are safe, especially at household water temperatures, for set amounts of time.

Last edited:
What you would want is an analog that doesn't cause peripheral vasodilation, which is classically considered to be the source of the heat loss but also paradoxically of the "warm inside" feeling (n.b. this is probably also why "a glass or two of wine a day" is actually protective of heart health), due to the effect of nitric oxide; however, [Tawakol et al. 2004], inter alia, the vascular effects of EtOH may be more complex than that; although the basic idea remains the same, the dichotomy of subjective and objective body heat lossage is due to peripheral vasodilation acting as a sort of "wick" for heat to escape while the feeling "inside" remains warm or is even warmer; think also of amyl nitrate ("poppers") which also provide peripheral vasodilation via a more direct effect on nitric oxide release but nonetheless give an interal feeling of warmth and mild euphoria combined vasodilation which, presumably, were one to constantly be taking poppers out exposed in cold weather, one would suffer the same fate as the frostbitten homeless alcoholic, but that would be a pretty rare case. The same case is even seen with capsacin in chili peppers "hot" foods. One effect is pretty much, again paradoxically, wrapped up with the other.

no professional advice/relationship, see above

Thats Easy in the uk

Heroin

Crack

and mcat

are the 3 main most popular drugs

Capsaicin. ;j you'll be burning so bad that rolling in the snow sounds like a good idea no matter how cold you already are. Probably mustard gasses, too. ;P

What you would want is an analog that doesn't cause peripheral vasodilation, which is classically considered to be the source of the heat loss but also paradoxically of the "warm inside" feeling (n.b. this is probably also why "a glass or two of wine a day" is actually protective of heart health), due to the effect of nitric oxide; however, [Tawakol et al. 2004], inter alia, the vascular effects of EtOH may be more complex than that; although the basic idea remains the same, the dichotomy of subjective and objective body heat lossage is due to peripheral vasodilation acting as a sort of "wick" for heat to escape while the feeling "inside" remains warm or is even warmer; think also of amyl nitrate ("poppers") which also provide peripheral vasodilation via a more direct effect on nitric oxide release but nonetheless give an interal feeling of warmth and mild euphoria combined vasodilation which, presumably, were one to constantly be taking poppers out exposed in cold weather, one would suffer the same fate as the frostbitten homeless alcoholic, but that would be a pretty rare case. The same case is even seen with capsacin in chili peppers "hot" foods. One effect is pretty much, again paradoxically, wrapped up with the other.

Could it be that the effect of feeling "warm" is linked to peripheral vasodilation? If a chemical does not cause peripheral vasodilation, then perhaps there might not be any "warm feeling" at all. This is not a bad thing, but it would mean that the environment would have to be controlled to not get too cold. An individual would be able to withstand cold temperatures, but it would probably have to be for a short controlled period of time.

Have there been any studies involving the dosage of EtOH and feeling the cold? It seems that the higher the dose, the more the effect will come about. My assumption is that an individual would probably have to be completely intoxicated, to the point of blacking out, to ideally not feel any cold. If this is the case, could it be that the individual does not remember feeling the cold (from blacking out), but actually felt cold?

Last edited:
Could it be that the effect of feeling "warm" is linked to peripheral vasodilation? If a chemical does not cause peripheral vasodilation, then perhaps there might not be any "warm feeling" at all. This is not a bad thing, but it would mean that the environment would have to be controlled to not get too cold. An individual would be able to withstand cold temperatures, but it would probably have to be for a short controlled period of time.

Have there been any studies involving the dosage of EtOH and feeling the cold? It seems that the higher the dose, the more the effect will come about. My assumption is that an individual would probably have to be completely intoxicated, to the point of blacking out, to ideally not feel any cold. If this is the case, could it be that the individual does not remember feeling the cold (from blacking out), but actually felt cold?
Ethanol causes vasodilation:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6144116

That makes you feel warmer but also increases heat loss.

From the study below, it seems that alcohol does not seem to make people feel warmer at certain doses, because the individuals experienced cold shock in the test below. This may disprove that alcohol can make an individual feel warmer.

It is concluded that moderate alcohol consumption does not attenuate the initial "cold shock" responses to a practically significant extent and is thus unlikely to reduce the risk of drowning on immersion in cold water.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9088850

If this is true, then alcohol would not increase the perceptive temperature during cold water showers or baths, which is the method I would be using to test this.

Last edited:
You're comparing 2 different things. An increase of body temperature and a thermoception. I don't think you can pharmacologically affect thermoception since it's controlled by ion channels activated directly by temperature, and I wouldn't say there are drugs that cause hyperthermia since fever is a symptom of a broader condition (Serotonin syndrome, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, malignant hyperthermia) caused by drugs. The closest you can get is substances that interact directly with TRPV1 like capsaicin or capsazepine.

… and needless to say, all of the fever-related drug-induced conditions you mention are seriously potentially lethal, not just because of the heat, although it's a major factor, but other issues too, but I doubt that you are going to find a drug that simply increases body temperature (vs just increasing core temperature and perception of temperature and allowing heat loss thru vasodialation) without some pretty hardcore side effects.

An interesting reference is here, regarding the core-temperature effects of MDMA, it impedes the ability of the body to lose heat via vasodilation, but as discussed above, the increase is not negligible but not deadly like PMA or serotonin syndrome or NMS/MH, except for external influences (dancing in a summer festival or in a hot warehouse party or watever) but even then is not much more than 1±0.5°C; except I'd suppose in extreme overdose. In the presence of extreme overdose with hypertension and hyperthermia in the ER from MDMA (or pseudo-MDMA "E" pillls) nitroglycerine, metoprolol/beta blocker, maybe hydralazine, with plenty of fluids and in extreme cases ice bath/ice packs, etc. would be reasonable treatment IMO (not necessarily all together!) but would depend on circumstances; throw in some Ativan for sedation (good because it can be given IM/PO roughly equivalently, Valium would also be a good choice), as much as possible given possible behavioral toxicity avoiding if possible neuroleptics (and a preference for something newer and sedating like Zyprexa or Geodon if absolutely necessary) and drugs with anticholinergic effects like benadryl/cogentin. There are (as always) many other options but this sounds to me like a decent first line (keep in mind, the hypertensive crisis/hyopthermia/etc stuff and ER medicine is not my thing, I'm strictly dealing with psyhc patients, so maybe I don't know and someone else can come in and say something better, also, the disclaimer below says it, but I'll say it again, THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE, DO NOT SELF-TREAT, IF YOU'RE Experiencing SERIOUS SYMPTOMS GO TO THE DAMN E.R.

This post or any of my communications do not constitute professional advice nor do they establish a professional relationship of any kind; I make no claim to any specific professional credentials; in person consultation is essential for any medical, psychological, substance-related or harm reduction decisions. While peer support an advice can be helpful, any content posted online, regardless of it's source, cannot, by it's very nature, substitute for an in-person relationship with a clinician who has had the opportunity to take your history in the larger context and provide professional advice with all these factors, and others, taken into account.

You're comparing 2 different things. An increase of body temperature and a thermoception. I don't think you can pharmacologically affect thermoception since it's controlled by ion channels activated directly by temperature, and I wouldn't say there are drugs that cause hyperthermia since fever is a symptom of a broader condition (Serotonin syndrome, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, malignant hyperthermia) caused by drugs. The closest you can get is substances that interact directly with TRPV1 like capsaicin or capsazepine.

I did not realize that. In that case, I did not word this thread correctly. What I meant by feeling warm was mainly thermoception, and not an increase of body temperature.

I was under the impression that a drug can cause hyperthermia, because an individual would lose the ability to feel the cold, and would stay outside for too long. The drug would not lower body temperature.

Capsaicin and capsazepine seem promising, and legal which would be a plus. It seems to be the same chemical used in chili peppers and also pepper spray. According to this article, capsaicin would increase pain tolerance if used long term. It may also help at not feeling any cold shock or cold related pain. The heat effect seems to be strong, because capsaicin is used in pepper spray, and may be strong enough to block out cold thermoception if applied directly to the skin.

Capsaicin used on the body causes a sensation of heat that activates certain nerve cells. With regular use of capsaicin, this heating effect reduces the amount of substance P, a chemical that acts as a pain messenger in the body.
http://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/capsaicin-topical

However, this study below seems to indicate that capsaicin does not effect cold thermoception? The people in these studies were fed capsaicin; capsaicin was not applied to the skin directly, which may be why.

CONCLUSION:

From these data it appears that while M, Tre, and Tsk differed across time, a CAP (which differentially affected percent of energy derived from carbohydrate) feeding did not differentially affect the thermal and metabolic responses of males during acute cold water immersion.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9819168

Maybe a capsaicin or capsazepine gel can be made, and applied to the skin. It would burn a lot, but in turn, there would be no cold thermoception. Taking capsaicin or capsazepine in pill or food form, might not have a strong effect. But these are all my assumptions.