• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Habitual Psychedelic User

I have known plenty of frequent psychedelic users, and most of them are quite sane. However, a few of my friends who did dextromethorphan in excess have become very paranoid, superstitious individuals. Not that this is any kind of hard evidence, just my two cents.

Psychedelic's open the door to "other" realities, or facets of this single all encompassing reality. Beyond that, I believe it is mostly the user's subjective points of view corresponding to inherit ideals or beliefs that creates the extreme depth of the psychedelic experience. The user's psyche also completely determines what, if anything, is learned from the psychedelic experience and implimented into that person's life. People who truly enjoy the psychedelic experience and wish to return to those other realities at the touch of a button will support their views. Those that disagree with what psychedelics are showing them or how they might be changing their lifestyles will develop their own views of the drugs. Very little of a psychedelic drug's value lies in the drugs specific effects, and more on the user's frame of mind.

I like what Goanaut has to say... it's very true, what you get out of psychedelics has 1000% to do with how you view psychedelics. There are people who have done acid several hundreds of times just as a means of getting fucked up, and, ironically enough, they generally come across to me as very fucked up individuals. But then again, there are people who have done it thousands of times, and they respected it, never took it as a means of 'getting fucked up' and actually had intention behind all of their acid trips, and I generally view these people as sane, somewhat enlightened individuals. But it's not the drug that really causes people to become enlightened or fucked up. Acid just simply amplifies that which we are comprised of at the core. Many people are just naturally going through life looking for education, enlightenment, and awareness, in any way they can. These people tend to not just take acid... they meditate, they study many different ideoligies, they philosophize... their whole life, pre- and post- acid, has been about gaining awareness.

But on the other hand there are people whose lives are all about escaping, and just getting fucked up in any way they can. These people don't look for enlightenment in an acid trip, just like they don't look for meaning in a Cohen Brothers film. And these are also the people who refer to acid has having 'permafried' their brains, when they've only done it like 50 times. I've done acid 50 times in one year alone, and you won't hear me ever referring to an acid trip as being 'fried.'

So basically, acid is a very magical compound that has the ability to be exactly what the user expects it to be. Manson used it as a means to control his harem of women. Leary used it to come up with fantastical, whimsical ideas. Huxley used it to intellectualize and write. The options are endless.

I would basically say that LSD is exactly the way you think it is... and that's why.

Church said:

I would basically say that LSD is exactly the way you think it is... and that's why.

so dude, are you saying then that there is the possibility, if a person has a bad enough trip their first time, that their view of LSD is so skewed that it prevents them from ever having a good trip ever again?

hmmm:)

Dreaming With Dope said:
so dude, are you saying then that there is the possibility, if a person has a bad enough trip their first time, that their view of LSD is so skewed that it prevents them from ever having a good trip ever again?

hmmm:)

I don't know about ever having a good trip again, but I defintely feel that after having a bad trip, the chance of having another bad trip on the next subsequent dose is alot higher.

I've met plenty of people who've stopped taking mushrooms because they feel like every time they eat some, the experience is a repeat of a bad trip they've had in the past.

poisoned candy said:
I don't know about ever having a good trip again, but I defintely feel that after having a bad trip, the chance of having another bad trip on the next subsequent dose is alot higher.

I've met plenty of people who've stopped taking mushrooms because they feel like every time they eat some, the experience is a repeat of a bad trip they've had in the past.

i agree with this to the extent that one wo has been in thaht space is vulnerable... but then, one who has learn't from what can be learnt from that may well evolve and basically move beyond that terrible headspace they'd experienced.

one who has never had a bad one is at risk simply becuase they may think "this does not happen to me", which may be a mistaken assumption.

i think one's amount of self-knowledge and self-acceptance have a lot to do with how well it goes. so the one who has had "bad" trips and who has evolved subsequently may well be in for a good ride, while for the one who has only had "good" ones it will depend on the reasons for them all having been "good" - have they simply not yet explored the dark side fully or are they truly adjusted individuals with few if any hang-ups at that moment in time?

Just my 2 eurocents on this.

I've met a few of these people too. And also people who have had a hard time on acid and decided that psychedelics aren't for them.

And perhaps they're right.

I know loads of people who just aren't willing to explore their own dark side. After all, hiding it is a national pastime so is it any wonder?

A lot of the people I know who have sworn off psychedelics were exposed to these substances at clubs and parties.... not the best setting for a full-blown first trip. I can imagine how it can get 'dark' on them. Hell, I've tripped zillions of times and am still wary about taking anything too strong while at a social gathering.

Some people can't watch 'horror movies because they give them nightmares.

I think it comes down to education. If one knows the possible effects of a drug before ingesting it, and one is with an experienced tripper in a safe, comfortable setting, the chances of a bad trip are minimised, as most of us are aware.

posted by Ximot:

i think one's amount of self-knowledge and self-acceptance have a lot to do with how well it goes. so the one who has had "bad" trips and who has evolved subsequently may well be in for a good ride, while for the one who has only had "good" ones it will depend on the reasons for them all having been "good" - have they simply not yet explored the dark side fully or are they truly adjusted individuals with few if any hang-ups at that moment in time?

I wonder what the ratio of people who take psychedelics for self-exploration is compared to those who take it for fun?

Fun is fine, but then one day the time comes when the drug stops playing around and a nasty bite on the bottom ensues.... which may well be the time when people give up psychedelics.

We are all a mess in the head, drug induced or not, DPT left me a sociphobe for awhile, and got into some nasty negative mindsets, it could've been the 2ci too, but those days are over, my shamanic outlook on psychedelics have always left me with a perma love feel for the world, this is without any drugs, it is just how I will always be now, I love my enemies, I love this manifestation. Period.

THE WOOD said:
one trend ive noticed is people who binge psyches tend to think they are the smartest human beings on earth and it is impossible to argue with them because "you just dont get it, man"

True...some just don't get it...sucks when what you talk about is too deep for most people and they think your nuts or stupid when you're not...then there are the morons that think they're brilliant and they are not...sheesh. I hate stupid people they suck...they think they are smart and you are stupid...no arguing with them either they ged mad and don't think. Sorry I'm ranting, I'm kinda high =D

FisheyeLens %)

As Richard Feynman, the synesthetic physicist, would say, you don't really understand something unless you can explain it to someone less enlightened than you!

austior said:
As Richard Feynman, the synesthetic physicist, would say, you don't really understand something unless you can explain it to someone less enlightened than you!

Aye true unless you are talking about something that is beyond words and very difficult to get across to another let alone some brainwashed person.:(

I've prolly done shrooms 20 times, lsd about 50, 2c-i about 60, and 2c-e 3 times. I feel saner now than ever before.

as far as visual activity associated with prolonged psychelelic use is concerned, i believe it is not so much an issue of physical problems with one's eyesight as the use of psychedelic drugs lets you notice the little things always present in your visual field that you had not paid attention to before using the drug. by these activities i am referring to floaters, tiny circular particles when looking up at the sky or a bright surface, and slight shifting when looking at patterns (think blinds on your windows in dim lighting conditoins, i know you know what i mean)

I don't think that psychedelics make the user go insane, but I think that the use of psychedelics opens up some windows of the mind that allow one to think more abstractly and be more aware of their own consciousness and perception. I believe that this new heightened state of awareness/consciousness does make one more prone to becoming 'insane' or 'delusional', but I do not at all believe that the psychedelics cause one to go insane. It all depends on the person. Most 'sane' people will able to adjust to this change and not let it affect them in a negative way, but some people become anxious and paranoid about this new state of mind. This anxiety can then lead into delusional thoughts and eventually a mental disorder such as schizophrenia. This may all be completely untrue and I may just be crazy, it's just what I theorized based on the effect tripping had on me and what I have observed.

^^ yeah i'd agree... for some reason i feel like the visual issues i have were always there, just not noticed as much.

^^ im there with u church, we had a local mad scientist for about 4 years too, id drink a 1oz vial at a time, or when it was in its crystaline form snort about a quarter gram, and forget who i was for days at a time, now i suffer PTS disorder from it, paxil helps, and neurontin, and attivan, and the occasional opiate binge, (shitty allergy to opiates) anyhow, LSD rox.