European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

The Good Deed Feed

Sadie

Bluelight Crew
( yes, I read the Metro ) Tell us what good things you've done for others.

I always try and give my daily or weekly bus pass to another. Especially when I hear they're in need. I don't have much to give but if I help some one out it always makes my day.

Sure, not entirely an altruistic motive. I gain something too.

What have you done to make someone elses day?

What have you done to be nice?

I just do some little things; one of which my Dad influenced as he was a taxi driver for a number of years, picking up celebrities from ITN etc for a considerable time, and he would get quite annoyed when some of these very wealthy people did not even tip him. Most of them did, from what i gather it was only Russell Harty that did not, the tight bastard. All of them were totally willing to engage in conversation, no overt snobbery, and some of the actors were fascinated by my Dad's Edinburgh accent, it was as if they were trying to memorise the accent in case they might need it for a future role, or something.

So I always tip taxi drivers and hairdressers, and the very best buskers that are playing tunes that i like usually get at least £2, and if i spot any homeless person that looks like he is clearly going through severe heroin WDs out there on the cold streets I'll give a couple of quid to get him/her slightly nearer their goal, which if nothing else does raise their spirits however temporarily as even such a small amount is greeted with huge gratitude.

I'd like to do more things like that, but i have no income at all currently. Will have to make the extremely depressing trip to the job centre very soon to sign on, and will then be trapped by their rules. Hopefullly I'll find another job quickly, either that or look into whether becoming an UBER driver in this city is an economically viable and safe option. I'd love the freedom of being self employed and being able to choose the hours that i wanted to work.

Last edited:
I always try and give my daily or weekly bus pass to another.

Your cheating the bus company out of profit!

The government has already cut funding to bus services immensely, they rely on peoples cash to turn over those 5mpg vehicles.

How could you :(

He expected a tip as well as payment? Wow.... Taxi drivers n hairdressers charge loads I feel it's greedy expexting tips on top.

That's good about hiving to the Homeless I do that if I can...

Evey

Your cheating the bus company out of profit!

The government has already cut funding to bus services immensely, they rely on peoples cash to turn over those 5mpg vehicles.

How could you :(

ahhh but I never said how many times I've not had correct change and paid well over the cost of the fare. Nothing wrong with paying it forward my dear.

He expected a tip as well as payment? Wow.... Taxi drivers n hairdressers charge loads I feel it's greedy expexting tips on top.

That's good about hiving to the Homeless I do that if I can...

Evey

It's customary to tip taxi drivers 10% or so, same goes for waiters but i hardly ever eat out. Hairdressers are usually paid very low wages, the high charges dont go to them, it's the owners that get rich. I never tip the owners just the workers.

Since when? They get paid enough in my opinion but each to their own <3

Evey

Since forever? :D

It was on the news recently that hairdressers in some parts of the country are earning £5 an hour, based on that I'd imagine the lucky ones would be on minimum wage. Taxi drivers have a lot of expenses to pay out of their charges. I don't begrudge tipping either trades, especially if they make an effort at conversation.

Evey

why the love heart? I always tip taxi drivers. Usually great fellas with great banter. I take it you don't think taxi drivers should be tipped.

Evey

What is your opinion based on? I know a couple of taxi drivers and they both work an insane number of hours to make ends meet, neither of them are in any way well off either. Car parts don't last long when you drive them all day every day, the running costs are immense.

On a similar vein, my good deed over the last few days was to punch my cousin in the face, knocking him out temporarily, just as he was about to pay for his weekly food shop. I then paid for the food which meant he had enough money to get the flat tyre on his car fixed so he doesn't have to make the hour long walk twice a day to take his kid to nursery on top of his job.

Of course you're allowed an opinion. Nobody's ganging up on you, it just happens that a lot of people disagree with your opinion on this occasion.

If you have the right to express an opinion on here then surely everyone else does too. People aren't always going to agree. No need to get defensive.

Anyway, agreed let's get back to the discussion.

I always tip Taxi drivers. If i can afford the taxi in the first place i'm flush enough to at least spare a couple of quid.

I also make a point of tipping taxi drivers and takeway delivery drivers (on the rare occasions that I can afford their services). I like to give to buskers, beggars and big issue sellers when I can. But those twats that hassle you in town to get you to commit to giving to charity every month can fuck right off, with their false smiles and pathetic patter...

why are you taking it so personally Evey? It's just good manners to tip. Nowt sinister about that.

Just be kind to others. Great craic, great tip.....

oh the banter

Last edited:
I also make a point of tipping taxi drivers and takeway delivery drivers (on the rare occasions that I can afford their services). I like to give to buskers, beggars and big issue sellers when I can. But those twats that hassle you in town to get you to commit to giving to charity every month can fuck right off, with their false smiles and pathetic patter...

I agree with that I give to buskers too. I don't tip because they charge n i psy the fee. If it wasn't enough then they should charhe more. It's cheeky. Do people know how much I pay for hairdressers? £65 for dyes, £30 for some braids on top of my hair n £15 for side braid for lilvibe. While I don't mind paying this I am damned if I'm Paying more. Do you not think that's enough? A taxi 7 miles is a tenner. Again I don't mind paying this but not paying more. It's enough. It seems greedy to expect more when they get enough as it is n bleeding people dry this day n age. What exactly do they want? If it's not enough charge more :)

shitty tippers used to annoy me but now i just console myself with the fact that they'll be reincarnated as waiters and waitresses who rely on tips to survive and whose customers never tip :)

related reading: Your philosophy on tipping? vs. let me get my change purse sonny...

alasdair

What happened to their wage that they're paid monthly or weekly?

Of course you're allowed an opinion. Nobody's ganging up on you, it just happens that a lot of people disagree with your opinion on this occasion.

If you have the right to express an opinion on here then surely everyone else does too. People aren't always going to agree. No need to get defensive.

Anyway, agreed let's get back to the discussion.

True. Let's move on <3

Evey

What happened to their wage that they're paid monthly or weekly?
nothing. they get that too.

some people are shitty tippers or don't tip at all. that's fine. it's their money.

i've worked jobs (where i've been paid a wage) and have relied on tips to supplement that income. i know what it's like to receive a generous tip so i tend to tip pretty generously myself.

i think it's amusing/sad when you consider the amount of money involved sometimes. on a $40 diner check (for example) the difference between a 15% tip and a 20% tip is just $2.

alasdair

I used to give a copy of the daily mail to the homeless guy out the front of Leicester city train station at the end of every working day because I usually give my spare coins only to buskers and bus drivers.

I didn't expect him to actually read it (although it did have at the time the best rugby coverage come Monday morning), but I just know that feeling you get with fresh sheets every night to sleep under