Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011)

rate this movie!

• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/1star.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/2stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters
i was wondering what book you were reading because i was like, well, erm, that's not what happened at all!

nah for me, i was much relieved at how they streamlined the ending in the american movie.

spoilers for book and movie
NSFW:
i didn't care that they didn't find harriet in australia. who cares? they found her.

I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo a novel by Steig Larsson. It's all bright green and orange and shit.

NSFW:
No I was totally right, there was a killer, but the victim(s) was different than what we were led to believe. I still think the flowers thing is messed up writing. Why would she just send her uncle who obsessed over her flowers if she knew he thought she was dead? That's what made me convinced that there was a malicious killer within the Vanger family from the get-go. It makes no sense that she'd send flowers, but never any correspondence.

^ I don't think she'd
NSFW:
send any correspondence, because if another person saw it they too would know she was alive. It makes sense IMO to send her uncle just the flower, so he'd know she was alive--How was she to know they'd think she was murdered? Most people would probably think she went missing.

*Shrug* Just my two cents.

I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo a novel by Steig Larsson. It's all bright green and orange and shit.

NSFW:
No I was totally right, there was a killer, but the victim(s) was different than what we were led to believe. I still think the flowers thing is messed up writing. Why would she just send her uncle who obsessed over her flowers if she knew he thought she was dead? That's what made me convinced that there was a malicious killer within the Vanger family from the get-go. It makes no sense that she'd send flowers, but never any correspondence.

since i just read this part last night (actual book text and spoilers)...

NSFW:
“What about the flowers?” Henrik said.

“I asked her that on the plane coming home. There was one person in the family, apart from Anita, whom she loved, and that was you. She, of course, was the one who sent the flowers. She said she hoped that you would understand that she was alive and that she was doing fine, without having to make an appearance. But since her only channel of information was Anita, who moved abroad as soon as she finished her studies and never visited Hedestad, Harriet’s awareness about what went on here was limited. She never knew how terribly you suffered or that you thought it was her murderer taunting you.”

Not that it matters, but I've finished the book and I'm satisfied. I don't take back my disparaging remarks earlier because they were what I felt at the time, but I have to weigh them against how I feel over-all about the book now, and I have to say I'm glad I read it. Still haven't seen the movie, but it doesn't seem so obligatory to do so now in light of the book's interesting climax and wrap-up.

I haven't seen the American version yet. Loved the Swedish version. It may sound weird, but:

(Spoilers for the first book)
NSFW:
the rape scene in the Swedish version was powerfully done. Just watching Lisbeth walk home, obviously in pain. So tragic.

It really gave empathy to the plight of rape victims, and what it means.

^^^ its 10x as intense in the american version.

NSFW:
she limps through the snow home alone, carrying a check for 1,000 kronner "for food." she can barely hold herself up in the shower to wash the blood off.

Ok so I solved the mystery within the first few chapters, and I was unimpressed with the general writing style during them, but I soldiered on, and it's actually getting better, and having the knowledge of who the killer is, it makes the events more dramatic as they unfold. I guess any time a book is "#1 National Bestseller" you're gonna have to expect it to be less than a work of art. They're no Conan Doyles or Edgar Allen Poes. But that's geeky book talk, and has nothing to do with the Movie, which looks exciting.

Coffee drinker, It is not geeky talk. I agree. However, I thought the movie was aweful and that the plot, ending, and storyline was too predicable. I have no idea how these books became bestsellers. I guess the same way Grisham and Brown became coffeetable iconaclasts.

She seems to have great acting potential, I only hope she doesn't get type cast.

I finished the second book in at most half the time as the first. It's definitely way way better than the first. I still stand by the idea that it's not that well written, per se, but the plot is so damn interesting that it makes up for it. The first book suffers from an excruciatingly slow movement of the plot, the second book is almost 100% action. I wish I had the 3rd book.

So now its all hyped up at a few sites i shall make it my fuckin number one priority to watch this film at the cinema.

She seems to have great acting potential, I only hope she doesn't get type cast.

given her roles previously, i don't she'll be type-cast. i think that's part of the reason i loved Mara: you didn't even realize she was the same girl-next-door-looking, quick-witted ex-girlfriend in The Social Network.

i just finished the second book as well, CoffeeDrinker :) and i felt the same way - it was much less arduous than the first book. i must say though that seeing the movie first and then reading The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo, especially during the first few chapters, made it MUCH easier to endure.

spoiler regarding The Girl Who Played with Fire:
NSFW:
one of the things i liked about The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (film) was Mara and Craig's interaction and sexual chemistry. given that Lisbeth and Mikael don't even speak to one another face-to-face until the last page of The Girl Who Played with Fire, i'm interested to see how that will translate on film.

I preferred the Swedish version too. I thought it was stupid to cast the suave Daniel Craig as Mikael Blomkvist, when his character was really supposed to reflect Stieg Larson, overweight, unhealthy and a social activist.

Also, if memory serves, they cut out the scene where Lisbeth decides to allow Martin to burn to death, which I thought was a pivotal scene in the Swedish version.

Last edited:
Okay guys, I need a little input. I downloaded this movie and was going to watch it until I noticed that it was a sequel. Do you guys think that this movie stands on its own, or do I really need to download the first one and view it first (other than the obvious reasons?)

WP

Okay guys, I need a little input. I downloaded this movie and was going to watch it until I noticed that it was a sequel. Do you guys think that this movie stands on its own, or do I really need to download the first one and view it first (other than the obvious reasons?)
it's not a sequel. it's a movie adaptation of a book which is the first in a trilogy (it is followed by "the girl who played with fire" and "the girl who kicked the hornets' nest").

it's not the first adaptation of the book. all three books were adapted for the screen in sweden and released in 2009.

what makes you think it's a sequel?

alasdair

I thought it was stupid to cast the suave Daniel Craig as Mikael Blomkvist, when his character was really supposed to reflect Stieg Larson, overweight, unhealthy and a social activist.

in the books, Mikael's various sexual exploits, that he'd given up smoking and that he's an avid runner had me envisioning a fit, handsome charmer and thus, i felt, Daniel Craig was cast quite appropriately.

Also, if memory serves, they cut out the scene where Lisbeth decides to allow Martin to burn to death, which I thought was a pivotal scene in the Swedish version.

i'm not sure how it was done in the Swedish version, but the way it was shown in Fincher's version was really very accurate to how that scene played in the book.

i'm not sure how it was done in the Swedish version, but the way it was shown in Fincher's version was really very accurate to how that scene played in the book.

its done in basically the exact same way.

I don't think Lisbeth allowing Martin to die was really all that pivotal. I mean, she's been portrayed as someone with no normal sense of scruples and extremely vengeful the entire story. That crazy Froken allowing Martin to die was par for the course as far as I'm concerned. Now if it was do-gooder Blomkvist that saw the scene unfold, maybe it'd be a pivotal aspect of his character's development. Sorry, I like these new Swedish terms. Frokens be crazy.

I think his philandering is kinda tiresome. Blomkvist sleeps with everyone who's within 25 years of him older or younger.