• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

The Gig/DJ Set Thread: Past, Present & Future

AC/DC and they were only ok? That's one of my favourite bands but even when I see their live videos on youtube they look brilliant.

DJ Shadow is terrible music though man lol :S

DJ shadow and cut chemist with 6 decks playing afrika Bambaata's private vinyl collection terrible? Please, stick to your David geutta and let the big boys talk

Angus young doing a 15 min solo at the end of let there be Rock was not a patch on Prince doing 4 solid hours earlier in the year if I'm honest

I don't listen to Guetta only techno and progressive house. Instead of instantly getting all upset why don't you link us to something that's good. If I like it I will agree, in the more likely case it's terrible I will tell you ;)

Just checked out Atomic Jam on wiki there, some list of DJs who have played there over the years, is that night still on the go?

Adam Beyer, The Advent, Mills, Hawtin, DJ Hell, Billy Nasty to name just a few of some amazing DJs...

Jeff Mills has a special place in my heart, buying Axis records on vinyl.... those were the days.

All quality names. Remember I had a cracking CD of Billy Nasty that used to go around parties when I was younger. Fuck knows where it's at now :\

It's alright mate I quite enjoy hip hop but more for chilling for me than drugs music. There is a nice sound off that through my speakers but wrong type of music for the moment.
Hip hop does attract a better crowd for sure, unlike EDM/Trance which seem to attract a bunch of dicks.

Last gig I went to was the Cinematic Orchestra a couple of weeks ago. Was an interesting one, with quite a few epic hairs-on-neck moments, but overall I felt it went on a bit, 2½hrs is too long for music which is hard to dance to. For the first time in my life I regretted not getting a seating ticket (am I old now?). Massive amount of talent on that stage though!

^ Seen Dave Clarke play many a times. Always a stomping set.

There was that double mix CD he had out around about 2000 - one CD was techno, the other was electro. It was amazing, I can't remember the name of it....

Speaking of DJ Shadow, I went to see UNKLE play a number of years ago, tremendous.

EDIT: World Service I think was the name of that mix

Jeff Mills and Dave Clarke - amazing! Was that CD called Devils Advocate and in a black sleeve Mushet? "Way of Life" and "What was her name" etc? If so I've still got it.

Gigs I can think of from the top of my head:

The Stone Roses at Glasgow Green (with Primal Scream performing the album More Light)
Primal Scream (Screamadelica)
Andrew Weatherall
Ivan Smagghe
Jeff Mills (Space Ibiza being a stand out night)
Magda
Levon Vincent
Modesekektor (sub club got to wear the baldy guys hat :D)
Moderat
808 State
Plastikman
Peter Hook and the Light
New Order
Metronomy
The Sunshine Underground
The Rapture
The Dead Weather
Jack White
Loads of small scale reggae nights e.g. Charlie P and Dubateers etc (Mate put on small nights in town)
Protoje
Nas (illmatic) and with Damien Marley (Distant Relatives)
Wu-Tang-Clan
Blur (Titp)
Slam, silicone soul etc
The Streets
Radiohead
The Black Keys
Groove Armada
My Bloody Valentine
Air

Loads more, just canny think the now.

I'd love to see The Jesus and Mairychain and Kevin Saunderson as e-dancer and Kraftwerk.

Last edited:
^ some crackers there smiley! It was a grey coloured CD, I'm sure it was called World Service, he may well have released another double CD mix. I just remember the mix I'm talking about being played a helluva lot in our flat at Uni. Good old days.

Went to see the Roses in Heaton Park, I 'think' it was awesome, but I was pretty wasted on the booze and swedgers by the time they came on. Mad, mad weekend.

Did you see Primal Scream play the whole of Screamadelica? I would have loved that, I have seen them play a few times though.

I'll need to give that a listen. Cheers (and for the list in your other thread, had a wee gander). Gonna dig out my old CD collection today now I think - put me in the mood!

Aye Primal Scream playing the full thing was outstanding. Would love to see them play XTRMNTR too though.

You just reminded me a went down to Madchester to see the Roses too (before they released Glasgow date) and admit I can't remember much from that one either, was also wasted in the same fashion! Good times even although me and my one pal got separated and lost from the rest of the group.

Screamadelica must be one of the best albums of the 90s, it was Andrew Weatherall that produced it was it not? Another great DJ, his sets are always interesting when I've seen him play.

Fuck Buttons Tarot Sport was also produced by Weatherall, seen them play in The Arches (RIP), was awesome. During the height of the mephedrone boom as well.

Although Screamadelica was undoubtedly a classic, I actually prefer Evil Heat and XTRMNTR myself.

I do love XTRMNTR, just the whole sound of Screamedlica and it being a concept album that I think totally worked for the time.

Aye it was so Weatherall who produced Screamadelica (personally love the album like u says as a concept album or whatever). He was the support that night too a think so was perfect. He's a genius of a man. He's playing SWG3 the night a think.

Fuck Buttons? Heard of them, but will need to listen to them now one of they ones. Aww the Arches and meph how I miss thee <3

Last edited:
The night, aye?

Yeah, check out Fuck Buttons, worth a listen.

Why did you have to start this thread. I've been obsessed with dance music for 25 years so I could post in here all day and watch my fellow Bluelight members go from curious to bored in 7 seconds following my first reminiscence of a night / weekend out. I loved it all, from my teenage years spent at various raves in Birmingham and the Sanctuary in Milton Keynes, through the Superclub explosion over the millennium spent in the company of Godskitchen, Slinky, Gatecrasher and the like. Too many great Dj's , too many great nights - where to Start? Atomic Jam would be the first name past my lips.

I'm a bit late here but I Loved the Sanctuary <3 - went so many times (Hardcore Heaven was one of my faves) but Helter Skelter, Deathrow Techno, Vibelite etc were all amazing.

Last edited:
D Clarkes techno/ electro double album was called World Service- was pretty damn good. Though, I had it sitting about I hardly listened to it. It just didn't make for home listening- a bit too intense unless heard in club atmosphere imo.

Good list Smiley. I've seen quite a few of them too- saw the Wu at a festival and thought they were shit tbh. Mind, that doesn't stop 36 Chambers being a fuckin classic :)

I see you've seen Modeselektor- would love to see them live, I reckon they'd put on a great show and make it a proper party night.

Word. Definitely on my 'to see list'. I quite like their stuff in conjunction with Apparat - Moderat.

Having said that, Apparat's album The Devil's Walk was a belter.

I'm a bit late here but I Loved the Sanctuary <3 - went so many times (Hardcore Heaven was one of my faves) but Helter Skelter, Deathrow Techno, Vibelite etc were all amazing.

Thats where my cross country clubbing started - I was well into my hardcore rave in the early 90's and started going to Pandemoniums weekly nights at Mr B's in willenhall (as well as our own legendary 'Quest' which had started to get too moody by the time I had my fake ID so I could go out). Went to my first Helter Skelter in 1997 and with the exception of their 'Timeless' event in autumn 1998 - i went to every skelter up to and including their millenium party. Plenty of Dreamscapes, Vibalites and One Nations in between but never Hardcore Heaven - too many Birkenheads from what I gathered and I always liked my raves to feature hardcore, techno and drum & bass. Since the Millenium i went back down 3 times - once for a Dreamscape 'Ravenation' old school event (which i got thrown out of) - Godskitchens 5th Birthday party in 2001 and i went down to the closing night in 2004 hosted by slammin vinyl.

The Sanctuary Music Arena 1991 - 2004 R.I.P.

Last edited: