The Engagement/Wedding/Honeymoon thread

Some STUNNING lace dresses I came across today by Wanda Borges:

01-9f41eabb88.jpeg

08-7ca7a9b665.jpeg

104-bb6b920a67.jpeg

vestidos%20de%20noiva%20wanda%20borges.jpg

More:http://www.wandaborges.com.br/noivas.php

Last edited:
Four, you are a beautiful bride and your groom is super handsome! It looks like a very sweet, ethereal wedding. <3

Absolutely gorgeous, four - the photos are stunning and YOU look amazing. Nice work on the wedding budget too :)

So my partner and I are engaged to be married :) We have been engaged for about 6 months now..
With little money in our pockets, I think it may take a while for us to 'seal the deal'.
We have had discussions about getting married in Paris next July whilst we are travelling.. Just a thought. I know it's a bit of a hassle to organize something like that from the other side of the planet. It would be so romantic though!

Thank you everyone! It was a wonderful day. Best of luck to all those ready to tie the knot and newly engaged!

So my fiance and I were engaged last January and finally set a date for next year on 6/7. I want to ask my girls to be in my wedding party soon but I'm wondering...do I need to get them a gift when I ask or a gift when the wedding is over? Or both? I asked a friend who was recently married and she said she paid for all the bridesmaids dresses as a gift. What are your recommendations? There are some cute ideas on Pinterest in terms of gifts when you ask...but I can't afford a bunch of gifts and dresses. Thanks for all of your advice~~

Congrats on setting your date scubagirl!

It's a cop out answer but I'd say just do what feels right for you, your friends and the kind of wedding you're going to have.

For me, I bought my bridesmaids a bracelet set each as a gift, which I gave them on the wedding day (I think it cost me about $130 each. They'd bought their own dresses which were about $200 which they chose themselves so they've already worn them again). My girls live in a different state to me so I didn't rely on them for dress/shoe shopping, hen's night planning, DIY making etc, so to be honest all I was really thanking them for was being my best friends and spending the day with me.

If you're going to lean on your bridesmaids a bit more than me, having them arrange stuff, or shop for you, or you want them to buy dresses that cost thousands of dollars, then I'd say a more substantial gift is a nice token.

I love the idea of the bride paying for the dresses as a gift but if you cannot afford that please keep the cost in mind when selecting their attire and your expectations for a wedding gift.

Joannie, I like what you did and agree with your advice. Don't go cheap.

I have been a bridesmaid once (dress $200 which I could not reuse and we could wear whatever shoes we wanted). The bridal party received a necklace and earrings to go with the dress. Plus it was 2 nights in a hotel, 2 days off work and we drove 2 hours to the venue. The bride got a shower gift but no wedding gift from us. We had really put out enough money at that point. We just did the same for the last wedding we attended where my husband was a groomsman except this time the travel was a 10 hour drive, 3 nights hotel, and 5 days off work.

We spent $200 on the shower gift for each bride.

Thanks for the advice! I have some decisions to make :)

So I've decided to ask them to pay for their own dresses in lieu of getting us any gifts. It's a convertible dress ($250) and they can wear it any way they like. That's the only thing they have to buy. I rented a 5 bedroom house right across the street from our venue where the entire bridal party can stay for 3 nights (this was expensive!). I'm also paying for their hair, makeup, jewelry & shoes. I hope that all makes up for the expensive dress I'm asking them to get. Do you think so?

Anyway, I can't wait!!! I'm asking my girls to be in my bridal party today <3 I made a cute ring pop proposal box (based on a Pinterest photo)

Last edited by a moderator:
Engaged at the beginning of this year to my bestfriend and we couldn't be more thrilled about it!

However, him and I both talked and decided that we'd like to finish school before the big day, I have 9 months left and he has 2 years. In your opinions, should we wait on announcing it until a later date? I'm not sure if it seems tacky or almost not serious to be engaged for so long?

I have friends who set the date 3 years ahead and announced it right away. They wanted to be debt free for their wedding.
They got married last Sept. Long engagements leads the general population to think hmmm is this really going to happen but who cares?

True, it's for our own reasons and we really shouldn't care what others think, but I'm thinking we'll announce towards the end of this year and plan for a 2015/2016 date. I love that he asked, but just wasnt expecting it to happen so soon. I just don't want us to have to skimp on things we see on our day because we're both so consumed with school.

I'll definitely start putting together ideas and keeping an eye out on advice and pointers in this thread :)

Getting married finally this summer... its going to be a festival/dance party of a wedding for a night and should be a greaaaaaaat time. We're doing our own ritual rather than a normal wedding ceremony, will have a circle of people surrounding us (our close friends) then our family around them in another circle each person in the circle will bless us, etc... I am very excited, been a long time coming and finally pulling it together. We got some land that is very special to us to use for free, a place where we used to go to some festivals where we fell in love.. we've got a bunch of great music...gonna be a blast :) Some of the families are weird and have asked us to make sure it is 'kid friendly' I mean of course we're not going to get too crazy but I don't want to have to be on a constant lookout at our special day - what do you think?

Hi Magickduck,

To me, your wedding should be about you and your partner celebrating in the ways you like best, it's your day after all. But at the same time, if you want your family/friends to join you then it's nice to put some thought into being a good host and making the event something that they'll enjoy also.

If your family have already expressed concern about it being a kid friendly event, you have a couple of options:

1. Tell them that it's an adult event and no kids are allowed. Depending on how you handle it and what the parents are like, you'll get parents who say "Awesome, a night off!" and book a babysitter right away, or the parent who's closest to you will come along with the other staying home with the kids, or you'll get parents who are offended that you wouldn't invite their little darlings and stay home completely.
2. Make the whole thing kid friendly
3. Go the middle route and make the first half of the event kid friendly - they love to get dressed up and dance, so you can probably tailor the early part of the night to be enjoyable for all. Then at X o'clock you can transition into whatever less kid friendly music/activities you might want and have that be the point that the kids go home to bed, off to a babysitter, to a special area dedicated to them for playing a game or watching a DVD.