• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

The Dreams Megathread vs We Need To Go Deeper

it dosent get you high its just make you drowsy its an anti psychotic not really recreational value but it produces dreams that you cannot distinguish from reality

hmm...thats not quite lucid dreaming though...a lucid dream is being in a dream state and being aware that you are in fact dreaming, and therefore can manipulate said dream

its a fine line between those two states tho, pretty similar

perhaps melatonin, but then is that a drug or a supplement to highlight the ambiguity of the OPs request

prescription stuff, OTC stuff etc can mess with ur dreaming and do this, but as far as I am aware there aint no lucid dreaming herbal supplement 8)

look into REM sleep states and research some stuff like that I guess but its hit or miss stuff sometimes ya get the lucid ones and they r cool, some people seem to get them more than others some never get them

I have them fairly often ever since I was a child, which is why I'm so interested in it, but I was hanging out with this hippy who pulled out a big bag of some herb he told me promoted it but I can't remember what he said it was...and I have researched REM dreaming and the multiple ways of inducing them.

do you want to promote a certain type of dream genre in which to be licid tho? 8) <3

mcwally said:
do you want to promote a certain type of dream genre in which to be licid tho? 8) <3

haha, no, just lucid dreams in general, they fascinate me to no end

What non-drug measures are you using to help promote lucid dreaming?

Recording dreams upon waking, developing a definite intention to recall dreams, and then working on the intention to achieve lucidty within the dream are supposed to be helpful.

Ernestrome said:
What non-drug measures are you using to help promote lucid dreaming?

well, I try to eat things with a high tryptophan content (parmesian cheese seems t be the highest) and I try to record my dreams, like last night I had a series of dreams that were very intense but I don't have time to record them on mornings I have to go to work

Well I don't know if it's just me but lately I've been taking my doses of 5-HTP and (no joke) I've had lucid dreams about 80% of the time I dream since I started taking it. Again, it could just be me, but worth a shot I say.

^^ where could I get a bottle of 5-HTP? ( It's not a drug, its a supplement and completely legal everyone) and duh! its the tryptophan that promotes it

KeisaCheeba said:
is it the seeds you eat, I allways thought you brewed the flower into a tea

Well actually if you make a tea it's very hard to know the potency and there's far more danger of doing a dose more than you wished for... and here goes another datura horror trip report :p

Eating seeds is generally safer, I have read some erowid report where only 2-3 seeds gave a very lucid dreaming of the dude living a whole day as a lucid dream.. :]

melatonin

keep a dream journal

think about lucid dreaming before going to sleep

ALWAYS ALWAYS ask yourself, "Am I dreaming"? ALWAYS, even when you "think" you're not.

<3

Lucid dreaming is over-rated.

I become quite good at having lucid dreams.. at one point was havin 2 - 3 a night 2 - 3 times a week. The first "few" seconds of the dream can be fun.. but the dream always starts gettin boring from there. I would rather just remember the nutty dreams i have when i don't know im dreamin.

Oh yeh, if you really want to lucid dream.. Go to sleep saying to yourself in your head: "I am dreaming, this is a dream.." Wake up at around 4 - 6 am.. Get up and eat something small (Mars Bars, Cheese or Coca-Cola can be good), all the time saying in your head:
"This is a dream, I am dreaming, This is a dream, I am dreaming, etc etc.." Then go back to sleep.. still always repeating those 2 lines.

And oh yeh.. again.. 5-HTP really does help.

Heckuva discussion already rolling here, but let's see if we can't find this a home. I'm going to bounce it thru PD (and it may end up back there, I'm not sure), but I'll put this in SO as my best guess. They don't typically do drug threads there, so the mods may move it if I'm wrong (it happens...sometimes :| ), but that forum may also be able to help with this non-recreational drug type question. Good luck.

From my own book of suggestions - I'd follow up with rickolasnice's comments, I don't think a drug is required, and it's more of a state of mind, one you can work yourself up to with the proper preparation and practice (say that 3 times fast).

HOMELESS -> PD -> SO

melatonin.

Techniques work better than supplements IMO. One of my favorite things to do is rewind my dreams, and change the sequence events to one of my choosing. Flying is a lot of fun too. I've always been a lucid dreamer, but it's something you really have to work at to get good at. I used to have really bad OCD, and I'm still a perfectionist, but one thing that always used to help me lucid dream was looking for abnormalities. Like, maybe the color of your car is wrong. Maybe someone's face is off. Maybe the sky is green? Noticing things that are out of place will help you to realize you're asleep. Then the trick is to STAY asleep, because sometimes your nervous system will become aroused and you'll wake up.

Everything gets easier with practice :)