• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

The Do-It-Yourself Tool Shed Thread vs Duct Tape Fixes EVERYTHING

does anyone know if 58W is the maximum power rating for a 5ft tube? could i fit brighter tubes or that a standard kind of thing?
Maybe look into T5HO bulbs

stihl certainly does make a fine saw . however for the money echo is the winner in value and durability.
four stroke hand power tools are things of beauty . well worth the extra money. i used a four stroke husqvarna string trimmer and it had torque galore emitting no stink like 2 strokers.
not had the opportunity to use a four stroke saw yet.

where the fuck are all the younger hobbyists and do it DIY'ers? Don't Bluelighters know how viceral an experience you can have working with shiny tools? Designing, sourcing materials, fabricating prototypes and networking with others in the loop is the best.
I just made my workbench while suspended from Bl. I paid $20 for the table (its really a fire door) $2 a piece for the 4x4" legs, $39 for the 5" vice, full price for nice 2x4's from Lowes, $20 for the overhead shop light, $12 to tint my windows, in all I dont think I spent over $175 in materials and other related expenses.

NSFW:
Picture060.jpg

Picture061.jpg

Picture062.jpg

Picture066.jpg

Picture059.jpg

Please use nsfw tags with large or multiple pictures -fizzle

Last edited:
Don't Bluelighters know how viceral an experience you can have working with shiny tools? Designing, sourcing materials, fabricating prototypes and networking with others in the loop is the best.
fucking A man. i'm becoming kinda obsessed with it at the moment.

one quick project i'm working on just now is increasing the height of my folding workbench by about a foot. god knows who designs these things but they must be fucking midgets. so far i've cut the four new legs to *exactly* the same length. then i had to stop because i didn't have bolts long enough to fit them, haha. 8) quick shopping trip tomorrow; fit them, and then obsessively cut an angle at the bottom of the feet so it lies perfectly flat. my compound mitre saw will come to the rescue there.

by the way, no offence, but you *really* need to get out a plane or sander and get rid of those hinge marks! solid looking job though, well done.

(oh, and get rid of the girlie baskets on the top shelf too. ;))

---

just got a couple of lovely new 600mm F-clamps today, nice!

^^^sand or plane the hinge mortises? that's crazy talk. fine for a work bench plus one merely has to machine a filler cut from the same species and glue it it - that's one could be bothered .

it's in the guy's living room... so fuck yes, i would definitely deal with that.

i agree i was totally wrong about sanding/planing though - it's a jigsaw job. :D

clamp a straight edge on the top so the jigsaw takes about 4mm off the front, job done in 30 seconds.

one merely has to machine a filler cut from the same species and glue it it
haha, now *that's* crazy talk. too much like hard work, fiddly, won't match, and would probably need sanded anyway, unless you're a robot. :D

I work on cars and do landscaping for extra cash so, if anyone ever has questions about how to do anything like that, or if your car is running funny just send me a PM and I will gladly help ya out! DIYFTW!

^^
What's the tick tick tick tick sound (that increases in frequency with increase in speed (i think speed, and not rpm) that has been coming from my front right wheel on my 1994 honda accord?

I work on cars and do landscaping for extra cash so, if anyone ever has questions about how to do anything like that, or if your car is running funny just send me a PM and I will gladly help ya out! DIYFTW!

I'll have to take a picture of my "lawn" and get some suggestions.

^^
What's the tick tick tick tick sound (that increases in frequency with increase in speed (i think speed, and not rpm) that has been coming from my front right wheel on my 1994 honda accord?

Probably your CV joint, but it can be several things. Send me some PMs with more info and I will gladly help ya troubleshoot it Pander!

And Damien yea man feel free to send me some pics, I have done a lot of cool work over the years and always enjoyed projects.

thank you for your comments on my workstation

some stuff that I'm involved in
NSFW:
I found a $25 airbrushing kit for $1 at Real Deals
Picture077.jpg

I am painting my helmet
Picture078.jpg

my bike fenders
Picture079.jpg

I safety wired my derailer cable on my bike. Power-sport race machines do this so when they crash all the parts have a better chance of staying with the bike, car etc. instead of getting lost on the racetrack and other racers hitting random metal bits.
I did this just for aesthetic reasons.
Picture080.jpg

Picture081.jpg

Ya, figured it was the CV. This car has long exceeded its bluebook value in repair costs though, so I'm not going to touch it. :\

In unrelated news, my friend game me one of these for my birthday.

weed_dragon_img.jpg

Apart from wearing 20 lbs of liquid fuel on my back, this seems like a pretty cool tool ;) The kudzu is starting to come back up in my back yard, so I need to get on it, too.

^Ha! I saw a commercial for that recently.
That "burner" "boils" the water inside the cells of the vegetative matter, thus damaging the plant and stopping the photosynthesis process.
Pander...........once you apply the product, how long before it works? More specifically, after you burn the fuck outta yer' kudzu and then go back and remove the debris, how much time has passed.

^ We have one of those as well, modified roofing torch that we use for landscaping, lot of fun man!

Ya, figured it was the CV. This car has long exceeded its bluebook value in repair costs though, so I'm not going to touch it. :\

In unrelated news, my friend game me one of these for my birthday.

weed_dragon_img.jpg

Apart from wearing 20 lbs of liquid fuel on my back, this seems like a pretty cool tool ;) The kudzu is starting to come back up in my back yard, so I need to get on it, too.

what kind of liquid fuel does it burn? i have an ancient weedburner that vaporizes kerosine. really hot flame but the preheat is a pain inna ass .

LPG fueled ones are to spendy in the fuel dept.

it's in the guy's living room... so fuck yes, i would definitely deal with that.

i agree i was totally wrong about sanding/planing though - it's a jigsaw job. :D

clamp a straight edge on the top so the jigsaw takes about 4mm off the front, job done in 30 seconds.

haha, now *that's* crazy talk. too much like hard work, fiddly, won't match, and would probably need sanded anyway, unless you're a robot. :D

felix i have the stationary power tools to machine fillers. machine them and pop them on the stationary belt sander for an instant, install and that's all.
i shove doors through my table saw and then through the planer if there is a need.
i think that you mean saber saw when you go on about straight edge guided cutting .. saber saw blades make really imprecise cuts that are ragged and out of square.. the resawn edge would have to go through the jointer after that hacking.

what kind of liquid fuel does it burn? i have an ancient weedburner that vaporizes kerosine. really hot flame but the preheat is a pain inna ass .

LPG fueled ones are to spendy in the fuel dept.

The one that I have uses propane, Hank Hill would be proud =D

me and my bro are working on redoing his turbo set-up on a 2006 M5. So far the tentative state is a mitsu turbine with hand made intercooling and hand made manifolds to produce 24lbs of boost at 340,000 turbine RPM (yeah I know, that thing is spinning crazy fast) and 4700 Engine RPM....needs moar intercooling IMO, and packing it with dry ice is kinda ghetto and a pain. suggestions on how to cool the intake manifold charge temp? Its already got a massive intercooler...perhaps 2 stage cooling?

felix i have the stationary power tools to machine fillers. machine them and pop them on the stationary belt sander for an instant, install and that's all.
i shove doors through my table saw and then through the planer if there is a need.
i think that you mean saber saw when you go on about straight edge guided cutting .. saber saw blades make really imprecise cuts that are ragged and out of square.. the resawn edge would have to go through the jointer after that hacking.
ahhh, you're just showing off with your fancy bigger tools. ;) i'm sure you're far more advanced than a noob like me (do you do it for a living or do you have those things at home?), but i definitely meant a jigsaw. (this one a few pages ago.) if you clamp something straight, parallel to the intended cut, and slide the jigsaw along it, there's no reason for an imprecise or raggy edge, unless you've got Parkinson's Disease. well, that's a good enough solution for those of us with limited tools and skills anyway. :D

(didn't even know what a sabre saw was until i googled it a minute ago... that might be an american term though. :\)