• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

The Do-It-Yourself Tool Shed Thread vs Duct Tape Fixes EVERYTHING

busty's solution seems elegant and simple.

My guess, hob, is that it was not the door original to the frame, and though it was hung properly, it was not perfect, but adequate, for a rental flat. :\

I would ask the landlord for a new door! That's bad, you shouldn't have to try and rig that yourself IMO.

Definitely. I'd be having a go at the landlord.

As it will only be a temporary measure, you could make something like a polystyrene wedge to fill the gap. You can ask an electrical shop if they have any random pieces from packaging, cut it to shape & glue it in place.

do we have any electricians in the house?

the lighting in my shed/garage is pretty crap over my workbench, so i'm planning on buying a fluorescent light fitting to give me more light there for my very important projects. ;)

i want a 5 or 6 foot long double tubed fitting, which i'm going to wire up with some 3 core cable and a regular 13 amp plug, so I can take it with me when we move house. it'll be plugged into an extension socket which will always be protected with an RCB.

i'm totally confident about doing this, but are there any issues i'm perhaps not thinking about?

it'll always be indoors, so IP65 weatherproof-ness isn't necessary, but on reflection i'm thinking a sturdy tube cover would be a good idea for protection from me waving power tools about the place. ;)

Manufacture_IP65_Waterproof_fluorescent_fitting.jpg

it's gone a bit quiet in here lately, have you guys grown vaginas or summat? :D

in other DIY news, my beloved bird table fell over in the wind and one of the eaves broke. so i spent all day today attempting to make it good again. i'll post some photos in a couple of days if i've managed the task not too incompetently. ;)

anyway... sparkies, speak up please!

^^
seems fine-- here's what I've been lusting after.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939291&pf_rd_i=507846

Basically, its cheap-o chinese electric jackahmmer that costs as much as 2 days of jackhammer rental at your local big-box tool store.
I have a mountain of broken concrete and blue granite blocks in my backyard that I had dumped there a year ago when the city was tearing up driveways and making new sidewalks. Now, I finally have what I need (the incentive of a new shiny tool) to actually tackle breaking it and building some retaining walls.

414wl7eQzcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Also, the color choices seem to harken to the Portal video game which is a plus ;)

my neighbors steal copper pipe, fire handguns, litter, and do transmission rebuilds on the street-- they should be lucky to have my gentrifying influence. ;)

woah... things don't get more manly than a jackhammer. :D good luck breaking up granite with it though, that's gonna take a bit of effort. the machine looks very schwarzeneggeresque (a la Total Recall), but it's kinda let down by the effeminate little spade attachment. ;) (cos that is the most important criterion here, obviously.) amazing price though.

after doing some research on light fittings (local big DIY shed only had wiener little kitchen ones), i now realise i'll probably be best just doing it right and getting a rough service IP65 one that I can move about easily. i'm gonna have an arrangement of hooks up in the rafters so I can move it where I need the light the most. cool project, can't wait to get it done. :)

btw lol @ your 'gentrifying influence', presumably that means you have fewer burnt out cars in your front garden than everyone else. ;)

I can now add plumbing to my repertoire. I had a drainage sink that was turning into a smelly cess pit, so yesterday I lifted the pavers and rejigged the drain, then concreted around it. I had to work fast as it suddenly turned and looked like raining on my parade. I guess I'll have to wait until the next big storm before I know if I was successful or not.

Tools used: Crowbar, angle grinder, hacksaw, wheel barrow, shovel and trowel.

someone please tell me if typical modern fluorescent light fittings need to use energy-saver tubes - is there even such a thing??? internet research is ambiguous and confusing.

i need strong white light.

to light up an entire garage/workshop? nope. great for torches and making your Audi R8 look cool, but not for this purpose, i don't think.

anyway, i've just ordered the one i'm after from ebay, brand new, for £37 & free delivery.

2 x 58 watt twin Complete High Frequency fluorescent fitting.
This is a top quality fitting which is rated IP65 which is a very high resistance to water.
Safe to be used outdoors.
High Frequency electronic ballasts, no starters, no flickering.
We supply them complete with tubes, they are complete and ready to go.

so yeah, can't wait to get it. i'm already thinking about how to mount it in the garage roof space, possibly hanging it from hooks & chains, routing the cable nicely so i can move it about easily, getting a nice chunky outdoors plug & tough cable...

if i'm feeling really adventurous i might think about re-siting the main garage light switch. we don't keep a car in it so having the switch tucked away beside the big door is rather inconvenient. hmmmmm.... *ponders projects*

*also ponders my perfect future garage full of Snap-On cabinets etc.... drool... *

oh... edit:

full description is: 5 ft 2x 58W T8 IP65 Complete Fluorescent Light Fitting

does anyone know if 58W is the maximum power rating for a 5ft tube? could i fit brighter tubes or that a standard kind of thing?

come on, less speculation and more posts. ;)

Last edited:
come on you bunch of pansies, step away from the sewing machine and get into the shed!!! :p

so i finally fitted my fluoresecent light fitting. it's bright as fuck and lights up my workspace and the entire garage brilliantly. just need to fit a switch inline, mount it on the wall, and that's the job done.

felix said:
full description is: 5 ft 2x 58W T8 IP65 Complete Fluorescent Light Fitting

does anyone know if 58W is the maximum power rating for a 5ft tube? could i fit brighter tubes or that a standard kind of thing?
i asked a couple of sparkies at work. the power rating of a fitting is dependent on the ballast inside, which in this case is 58W. so there's no option (and certainly no need) to upgrade.

i bought a lovely wooden mallet today. my first one.%) i also received in the post a pair of 1200mm "sash clamps", which are basically massive g-clamps for clamping together things like window frames and tables while you're waiting for the glue to set.

====

i was speaking to my next door neighbour the other day and he said if i ever needed to borrow any tools, just to ask. so of course i said "was that a petrol chainsaw i heard yesterday?" :D so i'm totally gonna get my hands on that baby some time, whether i need it or not. :D