• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The DMT Smell

In short, pure, clear crystals have a light and plesant odor aparently reminiscant of jasmine that could easily be played off as an incense.
if it is orange it is most likely because of plant fat which when burnt resembles the burning of animal fat, or hair.
my favorite phrase i've heard for the smell of DMT was DMT smells like burning old people.
however if some sources also contain trace amounts of amphetamines that could also be extracted with the DMT contributing to the smel in another way.

it realy depends on the quality of your substance.

Last edited by a moderator:
DMT varies in smell: new nike shoes, cat pee, moth balls, sweet/flowery, burning plastic, or a combination of these.

Quit with the racism talk, you are reading too much into a harmless comment.

God I hate the smell of burn DMT, just smelt my pipe from yesterday, its awful!!

Don't hate on me bumping a 3 year old thread :p

Maybe its my own DMT that im smelling in my pineal gland??

doubtful. i don't think you can smell your pineal gland. and i'm not sure that it's even been shown that DMT exists in our pineal gland. maybe it does..

my guess is its something bacteria in the back of the throat produce, a certain type thats probably always there but in limited ammounts. my guess is if i had enough time isolating all the bacteria in the back of the throat in a lab or something i could culture the colony that has that effect. probably just gets overpopulated some days and causes the breath.

you, my friend, are onto something.

DMT smells the way it does because it's an indol.

copy and pasted from the wiki page for indol: "Indole is a solid at room temperature. Indole can be produced by bacteria as a degradation product of the amino acid tryptophan. It occurs naturally in human feces and has an intense fecal odor. At very low concentrations, however, it has a flowery smell,[2] and is a constituent of many flower scents (such as orange blossoms) and perfumes."

and this is why we can get whiffs of "dmt" in odd places. when i was using it semi-frequently, i started smelling it in the lab, when using (non-pathogenic) E. coli (bacteria).

i also got this phenomenon with 2ce. in this one random hallway at my school, i would "smell" what 2ce tasted like. it was like it was in the air..
that one i can't quite explain, except that it's some sort of nostalgic brain trick.

The trademark DMT smell is caused by the skatole that's in it. It reminds me very much of the smell of new sneakers or contact cement. DPT has a very very similar scent.

sometimes I randomly get the taste of shrooms in my mouth...never really thought about it significantly until I saw this thread though

The smell of DMT is certainly distinct from indole or skatole itself, which is unsurprising given that plant-derived DMT should not contain any of either - degradation pathways ex-vivo will not produce them.

Last edited:
IMO purer DMT will be colored mainly white unless you messed up a bit on the extract, otherwise it will always have a smell of slightly floral type, when burnt though oh god is it noxious! It's even pretty bad when you vape it perfectly, but that's what mints/gum/etc. are for! Some of you may stumble about recklessly but I find until about 60mgs it's fairly easy to maneuver as long as someone doesn't bust down your door to ask what the smell is when your getting the "rocketed to the moon!" come up, but then I would probably just stammer and make some stupid excuse. Or maybe just turn it back on them and flip the switch, and be like...."When was the last time you've bathed" or "We haven't cleaned this shithole in months...what doesn't smell..?" whilst giving them a grossed out look, so they hopefully walk away in shame.....

I would pay for to see a video of someone smoking DMT then say a roommate busts in and is like "IS THAT DMT I SMELL?!?", "I TOLD YOU NO SMOKING IN OUR APARTMENT" whilst the roommate on DMT just stares all spaced out at them.....

I've found that tryptamines have a sort of floral smell to them. I've never smoked DMT, but 4-AcO-DMT, 5-MeO-MiPT, and 5-MeO-DMT all had fairly similar smells when smoked. They were quite different from how everyone else reports them to be, which I found surprising.

Plastic mothballs. Unless changa (smokable freebase DMT blend) then it smells like plastic mothballs and funky plant material.

Anyone else notice that acacia dmt, smells different than Mimosa DMT.

I don't mean by a large factor or anything like that. But there is definitely a difference.
I almost think Acacia DMT smells like Cherries slightly.

Love the smell of DMT, slightly random but I once visited the Blue mosque (Sultan Ahmet Mosque) in Istanbul and the smell of whatever insense they were burning there was exactly the same as DMT.
I did try to track down what it was but had no luck. I see there's a few references here to DMT smelling like Jasmine, maybe that's it. Don't really know what Jasmine smells like but I'll try & find out so I can compare.

there are definitely some flowers with a scent very similar to or maybe even identical to dmt. in summer walked past some of these every day. it's not just in our heads. everyone i know who has had experienced dmt immediately noticed it.