• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The DMT Smell

It smells lousy, most people wouldn't recognize it as DMT, and it doesn't last all that long.

it is possible that someone could misinterpret the smell for that of an electronics fire....

causing you to awaken from your breakthrough to firefighters walking around your apartment / dorm....

That could be interesting to say the least

jasmine yes... mothballs... perhapse a little. not quite mothballs. black people? juuust a smidgeon. i wish black people smelt like dmt lol

sometimes when people have bad breath of a certain type it can smell like dmt (most of the time bad breath does not smell like dmt)

i would say it smells like what arabesque architecture looks like. with some spice thrown in. and the zing of licking metal, but not quite.. perhapse a pastel watercolor of a penny. all whilst raining tiny black mirror raindrops.

welll this is all besides the point. whatever it is it stinks to high heaven and your room mates will DEFINITELY smell it =D=D=D

you should give them some

it smells like jasmine to me

Yea... unburned, thats exactly what it smells like... really nice and rather sweet and floral, and in fact like Jasmine... Good catch. Makes me think my brain must like it and wants me to take it, haha!

whats dust smell like ~ kina lik hardcore permenant markers nixed wuth somthing i cant finger on

According to a book I read recently, the impurities in dmt that give it its bad smell are the same substances that makes faeces smell the way it does %)

sometimes ill have breath that smells like dmt, my guess is its something bacteria in the back of the throat produce, a certain type thats probably always there but in limited ammounts. my guess is if i had enough time isolating all the bacteria in the back of the throat in a lab or something i could culture the colony that has that effect. probably just gets overpopulated some days and causes the breath.

im not saying that dmt smells like bad breath, rather that sometimes bad breath can smell like dmt.

dmt unburnt smells like heavy (not a heavy smell of jasmine but if jasmine weighed as much as lead) jasmine, just a little less sweet and a little more spicy, but smooth and creamy at the same time.

when it burns and i smell it my mind goes synesthetic to all hell and describing the smell is impossible because to me it is a smell of the way your body feels, the buzz, the taste, the expansion and forms... my whole body perks up and its like "WOAH. there it is." <--and thats what it smells like.

just burn a little bit and light some incense after to know what it smells like man... didnt you say you had some?

Last edited by a moderator:
Those who know don't care, those who care don't know what DMT smells like.

Burn some incense, open a window and it will go away....

DMT + Weed = One of the most comforting smells i can name.

I smoke DMT off weed when i have it to smoke, and attending a shpongle show, someone smoked some, smelled mix with weed so maybe in a blunt or joint.... But you could just see the hippies looking around for the source of it.... Or just trying to catch a wiff of it, when your tripping face in a crowded room of people, its strange that it would be as comforting as it is, but i find it calming.

For me DMT is a very intense experience, but at the same time it is not at all incoherent. My thought processes are still very directed and understandable.... This state is comfortable to me.... It has a feeling of something very familiar, but utterly foreign and new at the same time.

Smoke a blunt with DMT in an enclosed space and there will definitely be a slight odor to your clothing.

In the end though, unless you have smoked it or seen it smoked, you probably do not know what it smells like burnt. And if you have smoked it or seen it smoked, if you were to smell it, you would probably just try and figure out who it was to be their friend at the very most.

noggin asked a few questions that are easily answered without debate. the thread is over.

Does DMT smoke smell alot?
yes

does the smell carry far?
like into other rooms that room mates might be sleeping in? yes, it will permiate out of your room slowly, but the smell is easily masked by incense and an open window. if you really need to (and if your coordinated enough whilst completely tripping balls) you could use a paper towel tube stuffed with laundry sheets and stuff a towel under your door while you have the inscense going with an open window.

i want to do what i have right now but i dont want my roomates in the other room to smell. theyre asleep but im worried their will smell it later on.

if your that paranoid save it or go do it in the snow (if you live up north somewhere) with a bunch of jackets on... its nice to do in the cold.

if you live in the south then just go outside and do it in a field or under a tree or somewhere cool.

on second thought if you live up north definitely build an igloo and do it in there. yeahhhhhh=D=D problem (not only) solved (but made a fuckton better)

yep, raw extracted DMT I have (I think from Mimosa), highly purified and washed so it is beautiful clear crystals... still has a wonderful smell almost like Jasmine.

- Is this what raw totally synthed DMT smells like too, or is it a result of botanical extraction?
- Does it smell like burning plastic when smoked like some cannibaloid chems smell like, or is there still a flowery aspect?

Oh, also, 5-meo-DMT (pure synth I presume) I have also has a STRONG jasminey smell, quite striking. It's uniquely interesting that when I've done it sublingual dissolved in vodka there is almost no bitterness... almost tastes nice... I wonder if this nearly natural almost pleasant smell/taste is due to DMT being an endogenous element of our brains? Just a theory, curious what you all think about the idea.

go for it - it's seriously quick. Make sure you have the door locked.

But yeah, it really REALLY stinks, especially if you burn it by accident.

But the smell does disappear quickly, unless you're smoking changa.

As someone wrote in the thread. It smells like new shoes. VERY new shoes ;)

yeah man, proper!!

Moth balls...new shoes - it stinks.

I've actually never smoked any of the pure pure white/translucent crystal on it's own - always combine it with the yellow/orange grades I extract - gotta smoke some to smell this floral jamsiney smell though now...mmm jasmine.

DON'T smoke DMT if you're worried about someone smelling it. You'll just have an anxious trip.

Mitchi, sad to see trolling still prevalent on this forum.

I wouldn't say it "stinks" But it is a very "strong", very peculiar odor.

I agree with the those who know don't care and those who care don't know philosophy.

But sometimes people are just ridiculously curious, so while they may not notice it as a "drug" smell.... they may decide to locate the source of the scent out of curiosity, which could be difficult....

you; coming out of DMT trip

room mate: "whats that smell"

you; "What..... the.... fuck!!!!!!!!!.... are you........?!?!?"

But sometimes people are just ridiculously curious, so while they may not notice it as a "drug" smell.... they may decide to locate the source of the scent out of curiosity, which could be difficult....

You can just say one of your dirty socks fell on the hot plate while you went to the bathroom and when you got back it had stunk up the room all weird, haha! I doubt they'll question much further beyond that. Whip out a skanky sock and start toward them... "See, look here, smell this.." and they will be all "OK OK never mind" and go running away. Might be worth getting a little tea-cup warmer hot thingy to have around as an excuse... as well as a pungent old sock, of course, haha =D

Last edited:
You can just say one of your dirty socks fell on the hot plate while you went to the bathroom and when you got back it had stunk up the room all weird, haha! I doubt they'll question much further beyond that. Whip out a skanky sock and start toward them... "See, look here, smell this.." and they will be all "OK OK never mind and go running away." Might be worth getting a little tea-cup warmer hot thingy to have around as an excuse... as well as a pungent old sock, of course, haha =D

Try to execute that 30 seconds to 1 minute inside of the DMT experience... haha ... not easy to say the least...

But yeah, there are plenty of excuses that wont warrant further curiosity... my point was just that if they come in WHILE you are tripping, it could be difficult to explain.