• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The Cricket World Cup.

I hope Sri Lanka win because Murali is the best bowler in the tournament and Sangakarra/Jayawardena/Jayasuria are great batsmen to watch. Other than them a WI win would be fantastic for the competition..

Anyone but Australia, really as they manage to take the fun and enjoyment out of any sport they compete in. Thank fuck they're crap at football! I'd just *love* it if some controversial incident goes against Australia so we can all here the pug-faced simian Ricky Ponting whining to anyone who'll listen again :D

As for England? We're shite - absolutely no chance whatsoever of winning! =D

I rate Ponting as a batsman big time.

But as a human being............I just want to punch his lights out......... and Im an Aussie.

^^

I like him as a person too... he's not toooo arrogant... and has calmed down ridiculously now that he is married... I could just be on crack, but I genuinely respect the guy...

Well, some interesting events:

Ireland tie with Zimbabwe, probably the best result in their history.
Gibbs sets a record that will probably never be equalled - 6 sixes in one over against Holland.
NZ cruise past England by 6 wickets with 9 overs to spare. I only saw the NZ innings, so can't judge the whole game, but we looked reasonably good, just knocking the ball around without taking many risks. England looked poor - made several fielding errors and dropped an easy catch.

The perfect start for my boys, though :)

Well done kiwis..........my tips are not looking good are they.

Yip, and Bonds figures... 10 Overs, 1 Wicket, 19 Runs.

Oh, and the "The Flu" Styris with man of the match.

Can't believe what's going on today. Ireland have bowled Pakistan out for 132 and Bangladesh got India all out for 191 I think. Strange but interesting day I had a feeling this might happen.

SmC said:
Can't believe what's going on today. Ireland have bowled Pakistan out for 132 and Bangladesh got India all out for 191 I think. Strange but interesting day I had a feeling this might happen.

hahaha..........PMSL. Both India and Pakistan are in massive trouble.

^ India have lost! This world cup has to be the most interesting one ever imo, Ireland need 52 to win and they're going off for bad light and they would win it at this point under that system they use for situations like this if no more cricket is played, and it doesn't look like anymore cricket will be played.

chopped_chimp: get on to cricinfo.com

Ireland have just come back on and need 45 off 18 overs, with 6 wickets in hand. The light is apparently very bad, commentators are suggesting that they might go off again.

Niall O'Brien has all the Irish runs (57 out of 84) so if he goes, who knows what will happen?

If Ireland win, Pakistan are out of the cup, and Ireland almost certainly through :)

SHM: nice one. I could see I left that open :)

19 to win, 5 wickets in hand. N O'Brien out. Can his brother do the business?

[edit] As I type, White hits a four, then gets out two balls later. 15 to win, 4 in hand. C'mon Ireland!

And another wicket next ball.
But K O'Brien and Johnston nudge it around for the next five overs, there's a couple of wides and O'Brien hits a four. 5 to win. 3 men left.

Pakistan & India both lose?!

Wow, didn't see either of those results coming! 8o

Their quality will win through in the long run, I've no doubt, but it's certainly made the opening stages of this World Cup mighty interesting.

PinholeStar said:
Pakistan & India both lose?!

Wow, didn't see either of those results coming! 8o

Their quality will win through in the long run, I've no doubt, but it's certainly made the opening stages of this World Cup mighty interesting.

hahaha, sorry to tell you this but Pakistan are Goooooooorrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnnn
They are the first team out of the world cup.

And India are in a massive pile of poo poo.........gotta love it.

Except for one small prob........Simon is gunna laugh at me now cos i sort of picked them as outsiders........lol........OMG.

I don't think anyone would have picked those results :) (maybe Bangladesh, but surely not Ireland). But it's already too late for Pakistan - they're out. The West Indies will need to beat Ireland or Zimbabwe to go through. Ireland will go through unless they lose to the West Indies and Zimbabwe beat the West Indies or Pakistan.

India will need to beat Bermuda (which they will) and Sri Lanka, or they could be out as well. If Bangladesh beat Bermuda (which they should) India will need to win both their games to qualify for the next round. And Sri Lanka would have to be favourites to beat India.

So we will almost certainly see Ireland in the second round, and quite possibly Bangladesh as well :)

[edit] Dan posted as I was typing. No gloating from me (just look back over my predictions for the last soccer world cup to see how badly I did then :))