• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Tripping & Anxiety Thread

hey ugster, here's another thought: you may want to drop your regular dosage in half or even a third.

I and a couple of other friends of mine have gone through periods of sensitization to psychedelics where a full regular dose became WAY TOO MUCH for us to handle (manifesting lots of anxiety, body tremors, vomiting, etc).

I actually stopped taking psychedelics for a while because of this and when I came back I dropped my dosage far down. Eventually my mind became accustomed again to the experience and I could explore higher doses with (a little) confidence.

Also, might I recommend DMT? Its a short lasting trip and is wonderfully breakthrough-ish (sorry thats phrased poorly). It is quite simple to extract grams of it (takes an afternoon) and you then have enough to breakthrough you and as many friends as you have that are willing to try it! =D

peace and safe journey...do you think about the spiritual path sometimes that psychedelics are opening up for you? I think a lot of us suffer anxiety because our doors were blasted open too quickly without a strong spiritual foundation. You need that trust and confidence that LOVE is the basis of reality before you go all the way through the door.

samadhi

Thanks again everyone for the advice... a lot of the things mentioned are things i've already thought about. As MasterOfDeception mentioned, I agree it might be an ego problem... and I do try to let go, but it always get's really intense.... I did K during the peak last time and tried to make myself let go and wound up almost choking on my own vomit (really strange because I've never vomited on K). It's just really scary and I always feel like I'm not going to come back, but I guess that's part of the deal then isn't it? Part of me doesn't care if I don't come back and part of me does, it's like I have 2 consciousnesses, the ego, and the greater part, and their always at war with each other.

Fastandbulbous, I've tried the breathing techniques and they help sometimes... I'll have to try them a little bit more, it's something I should probably learn, especially since I have a history of very intense anxiety problems in my family.

I might try lower doses like you suggested Samahdi_Smiles, and DMT is something that i've been trying to get ahold of for months.... I seem to have a source for every exotic chemical one could want except that haha, but so it goes...

Thanks again guys, I appreciate all the input.

I believe Alan Watts once said "once you get the message, hang up the phone." Psychedelics are not THE path, they just reveal it to you. I'd suggest taking a break. The same thing started happening to me so I waited a year and half before tripping again. My last trip was beautiful. I am so thankful that I took that time off to really work on myself and integrate what previous psychedelics sessions had shown me.

Psychedelics and previous anxiety problems...

Basically, i smoked far too much weed from being very young nd it screwed me over. I felt really anxious, like butterflies and stuff 24/7 and feeling like i was loosing my mind, i also had 2 full blown panic attacks. The doctor said this was all normal for anxiety problems because my mind is active and fixating on one problem all day and night, he gave me some beta blockers and i realised after the physical effects went away that i could be normal. Within a month it had all stopped (2 and a half months without a spliff now nd i was off the beta blockers in like 2 weeks) Which is lucky coz i know people can suffer from anxiety for years, doesnt seem too much of a serious thing really.

I have found a new guy that sells 2-cb, lsd and DMT. Ive done ket, coke and mdma loads but i know drugs like these are completely different (apart from maybe ket which can get pretty trippy at times)

Now, would it be wise to take any of it after what happened to me? knowing i am liable for problems like this to happen again? DMT sounds really good and its something ive wanted to try for a long time, seems to scare me less than LSD and its something ive been interested in finding for a long time, also there doesnt seem to be many bad trip reports from it either.

What are your views on this guys?

** edit, LSD does look interesting though and i may try that for a first trip... also can i trust online pharmacies for diazi's just incase the trip goes bad?

Last edited:
The textbook answer is going to be that if you have any personal or family history of psychological disturbances of any sort, you should stay well away from psychedelics. But, really, your question is one that you can only answer yourself. Do you feel secure enough in your mind to go back to using drugs?

2 and a half months might be a little short, but if you think it's enough time then go for it.

Some advice I would give you though (although not from personal experience) is that LSD is perhaps not the best drug to start with, maybe you should start with something less powerful to ease you back into tripping and the like.

Is gettinh high on drugs worth a life of panic, stress, medication (IE benzo addiction) and missed oportunities?

Its no secret that almost everyone who has tripped frequently has issues with anxiety or at least did for an extended period of time. And LSD is the worst possible offender in this respect. I will just spell it out for you, if you were not man enough to handle marijuana what makes you dumb enough to think you can handle something many orders of magnitude more intense?

Dude... if you're worried about marijuana causing you anxiety, you would really be wise to not take MDMA. Never have I met a more deceptive drug. I never used it much (certainly not "loads" as you have said), but I found that every time I used it it would really throw me off, for a month after the last time. It took me months to get back to normal after that last time I took it, months of anxiety caused by nothing more than a mental imbalance.

Marijuana can certainly exacerbate anxiety, and in my opinion doing drugs before your brain has matured is a bad idea (18 would be the minimum age I would recommend for drugs, and really more like 21+).

Now, MDMA will not give you anxiety during the high, only after. But LSD and other psychedelics can often cause incredible amounts of anxiety. They're not recreational drugs. Well, they can be, but first and foremost they are powerful tools to expose you to yourself. And that can often be a very uncomfortable experience, especially at first.

Posts like these always bring me to a weird,dificult position, because psychedelics can exacerbate anxiety disorders,stress,neuroses etc, but also can be very succesful in treating them. It's a funny paradox. So in the end I end up suggesting that one researches more on therapeutic/'spiritual' uses of psychedelics as well as learn more about himself and come to terms with his issues before having an experience.

It's almost certain that your trips will have some phases with increased anxiety, I think. How you handle it is all that matters.

theWorldWithin said:
Is gettinh high on drugs worth a life of panic, stress, medication (IE benzo addiction) and missed oportunities?

Its no secret that almost everyone who has tripped frequently has issues with anxiety or at least did for an extended period of time. And LSD is the worst possible offender in this respect. I will just spell it out for you, if you were not man enough to handle marijuana what makes you dumb enough to think you can handle something many orders of magnitude more intense?

not man enough to handle marijuana? he said he smoked 24/7 from a young age. that's like telling an alcoholic whose liver finally fails that he wasn't man enough to handle alcohol, when in reality he handled more alcohol than most people ever could.

many studies have linked cannabis dependence with anxiety, psychotic symptoms and panic attacks. i would say it is a much greater risk factor than other psychedelics, the reason being marijuana is the only psychedelic i know of that is so addictive people will use it 24/7. do you know anyone who trips on lsd 24/7? sure if youre assessing the risk of trying marijuana once and trying lsd once, i would say that lsd poses a far greater risk. but if you are assessing the risk of using marijuana 24/7 and using lsd once a year or so, i would say marijuana poses a far greater risk.

theWorldWithin said:
I will just spell it out for you, if you were not man enough to handle marijuana what makes you dumb enough to think you can handle something many orders of magnitude more intense?

That has to be the dumbest thing ive heard all day... it has nothing to do with being man enough...

ive done mdma once and quite a lot of ket since and they didnt bring back any anxiety. I was gonna leave it a while anyways, till bout 6 month mark. Im gonna do like half a tab to see how it reacts with me, ill have plenty of trip killers if things do start to go wrong.

Plus im pretty positive bout either, i really dont feel like they will.

probably start with the 2cb out of those options, and go see a doctor about the anxiety / get a script. better that, then rely on overseas. but if you have a local source, xanax would definitely be handy.

you might want therapy while you're at it. psych's are sort of like self-analysis so if you're feeling misguided on your own, a therapist may help point you in the right direction, and then you can work on healing while you trip.

just start your doses small, ramp up slow, and give yourself a generous amount of time to reflect after each trip ... that's probably the best plan.

Last edited:
well if u take that much LSD (and not have many years of experience) than ofcourse ur gonna be withdrawn and socially inhibited. just dont concentrate on that. YOu have to get in ur mind that thats not very important and the experience of the trip is beyond social interaction (low doses if u want to be more social and more for recreation). also stop smoking weed if u do. weed has the most paranoia than any psychedelic i know, unless ur talking about level 4 or 5 trips.

next time be sure to take half a tab at first. then wait and save the other for later unless u want to take it. alcohol might take off the edge but it dulls the spirtual aspect somewhat. couple drinks is good.

that's the best way to interprete it i'd say

I also find that since most psychedelic users also use marijuana, that they find themselves using marijuana on the come up and that usually catapults the effect of any oncoming trip

I used to get a lot of anxiety on psychedelics. Eventually I determine that it was mostly due to nausea and my body feeling strange during the come-up... it was an unpleasant feeling so without fail the negative thought loops would start... "Why did I do this to myself again? I wish I could come down. I don't want this anymore! I'll never do drugs again if I could just come down!"

Soon I realized that if I let these thoughts overcome me, the whole trip would be negative, but if I could stave them off, then after the come-up everything would be just fine. Once I realized that, the bad feelings and thoughts largely stopped. Now I rarely feel uncomfortable during come-ups... I think it's mostly psychosomatic. Having your sense of perception and the world shift radically can be quite disconcerting.

egor said:
I find that morphing and twisting type visuals tend to be acompanied by much more anxiety then oev patterning. Once the world is twisting to the point that your own living room becomes a frightening, alien place, here comes the anxiety.
yes I agree! I still (probably a hundred times tripping lol!) have not gotten used to intense OEV morphing/transforming of objects...patterning...CEVs...I LOVE...but OEV morphing really upsets me for some reason...I don't know why...it kicks in a gut reaction of anxiety for me...maybe a loss of control....?

Need help - Doing Acid but have Anxiety Disorder.

Ok, wasn't sure exactly what to put as the title because this is kind of complicated. I have never done Acid before but have done shrooms 3-4 times. My experiences with hallucinogens have been extremely bad for the most part. The first time I did shrooms I took 10 grams and spent the entire night locked in my bathroom trying to find ways to kill myself including drowning myself in the bathtub, banging my head as hard as possible into the wall, and eventually bashing my head into the mirror completely busting it. I was certain I was going to die and thought the trip would never end. I eventually summoned the courage to crawl out of the bathroom and get to my pill bottle. I tipped it back and swallowed everything that was in there, oxycontin, xanax, and ambien and eventually passed out (this was before I quit heroin/pills and started Methadone maintenance so I had an extremely high tolerance). It took a year before I got the nerve to try again, this time I only did 5g. I still had extreme paranoia but had a better overall trip and was with my girlfriend, not alone like before. Since then I tried shrooms a couple more times in low doses of about 3g and had a much better time - nice visuals and the giggles but no paranoia. The only other hallucinogen I have tried was Salvia while it was legal, I had a pretty strong concentration but I figured since it was legal it couldnt possibly be that dangerous and I could control myself. I was wrong, I went out to the lake and took one huge hit and held it in till I felt like I was going to black out and immediately it felt like gravity was pulling me - only problem was that it was pulling me towards the water. I was on the ground scraping and clawing at the dirt as I slowly got closer and closer to falling in the lake. Luckily I was able to fight it off and get back to my car where I waited till it wore off. That's my only history with psychedelics, and keep in mind all this was years ago before I had a better grasp on psychedelics. I have a better understanding of what to expect now, I just have a few questions before I do acid for the first time.

For starters, I am an opiate and benzo addict. I take methadone daily and xanax daily. I learned with shrooms that if I took a few xanax before I started tripping it really helped cut down on the paranoia and let me enjoy myself more. What I need to know is if I can do the same thing with acid?

I have stashed away some extra methadone and xanax for this trip, this is my first chance to try acid and unfortunately at this time in my life I don't have any friends I trust well enough to be a "tripsitter." I need to know if taking an anti-anxiety benzodiazepine like Xanax before tripping would help me have a smoother trip?

It seems to me like it should help immensely with the paranoia, I was just hoping if anyone else has tried this and if so what were the results? I'm prone to panic attacks and the last thing I need is to be tripping and wind up running naked down the street screaming or worse, like trying to kill myself again.

Any insight or past experiences any of you might have had trying to use benzos or opiates to help calm you down during a trip would be helpful.

Thanks,

DeadheadChemistry

I need to know if taking an anti-anxiety benzodiazepine like Xanax before tripping would help me have a smoother trip?

Generally, yes. It also keeps the trip from becoming it's full potential but it does reduce tripping anxiety. Take a low dose. 0.25-0.5mg should do the trick. You don't want to be too numbed out or you won't trip.

I also have anxiety issues but most of the time it's not a big enough factor to wreck my trips anymore (it certainly used to be).

I highly recommend phenibut for this purpose. It reduces anxiety while fostering a positive mood without much numbing, unlike benzos.

I would recommend holding off on taking the benzos until you start to feel uncontrollable anxiety. There's no sense in dulling the trip unless you need to. I've had pretty good tripping experiences in the past when I started off the evening with a few drinks. Alcohol can be a great anxiety inhibitor provided you don't overdo it.

Ok cool, thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it a lot. I've always been a person who always has done "feel good" drugs like opiates, benzos, and amphetamines occasionally, so when I did shrooms for the first time I was taken completely off guard. I was young, about 16 years old and was expecting to experience just some cool visuals and thought that I would feel good and relaxed throughout the trip, I definently didn't do my homework and it came back to bite me in the ass so obviously I'm trying to get a better concept of what to expect with LSD. I'm sure I could find a thread to answer this question but I'll go ahead and ask it anyways while I'm preparing for tonights trip... what are the major differences between shrooms and acid, if any? For instance I recall getting sort of a body high with shrooms and an afterglow the next day that felt nice and left me in a mood of reflecting on the night I had experienced and a feeling that I had somehow grown or in some way had a better understanding of myself and my fears. Does this same sort of thing happen with acid?

Also the hallucinations... how do they generally differ from shrooms if at all? Even on 10 grams of shrooms I still knew WHERE I was, and I still had a basic grasp on reality even though my mind was playing tricks on me, can I expect the same thing with acid? Is it more likely to "take me to another place" so to speak or is it similar to mushrooms? I know a lot of this has to do with the dosage but any advice anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.