• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Tripping & Anxiety Thread

I can only re-iterate the fact that weed can increase anxiety, especially social anxiety. I had to largely give up a mostly daily habit because of it.

I can still trip though. If in the right environment, and my trip is decidedly not an anxious one, I would consider partaking during the trip. It can definitely increase overall intensity and visuals. But do tread with caution here, as this could just as easily turn on you. When I was a chronic smoker, I would often need a hit or two a a kind of catalysis to get going as well. Not anymore though.

I also tend to avoid pot in general as it gives me a "brain cloud" that can last for days, even weeks afterwords.

(really though, what THE FUCK is money?)..

I definitely laughed at this one.

But yeah, just to be a broken record... the only time I get anxiety is when I get high... I have had literally terrifying anxiety attacks while really high, nothing that even COMPARES to the little bit of anxiety or nervousness I get sometimes on even a pretty high dose of Psilocybin. I have had panic attacks while baked that were so bad I was pretty sure I was dying... most intense fear I've ever experienced.

Yeah, as other's have said, marijuana can cause serious anxiety in many people. I've had anxiety on marijuana that became so bad after just one hit that i literally felt paralyzed, unable to speak and shaking uncontrollably.. i hammered down cigarette after cigarette just to eliviate the feeling, it was ridiculous.

Psychedelics, yes i have had anxiety but you can usually understand why it's happening so much clearer then through the haze of marijuana.

It's not likely that you'll have any anxiety with LSD or mushrooms like you do with weed. It seems like most of the of psychedelics that are smoked are the ones that cause anxiety(DMT, THC, 5MeO... etc).

Just make sure your in a comfortable setting and with friends that all fully understand the drug.

^ this is true (set and setting!), although anxiety can still surface on any substance.

Anxiety can also be lowered by taking psychs with a more experienced tripper who you respect and trust, or having a trusted trip sitter there with you for the experience.

Back in college, when i tripped more often, i'd usually do it with 'trip-buddies', who were my trusted friends. Knowing that someone is going through a similar crazy experience with you helps lessen anxiety quite a bit.

Excellent advice you are getting. Seems like tripping can maybe sometimes result in a 'bad trip' that you can account for by not really caring about whatever is bothering you - laugh it off so to speak.
But pot can make you persistently anxious period. All over you like a wet blanket.

Interestingly, I used to have severe anxiety and panic disorder. After a year or two of zoloft and xanax, I now seem to not be able to get anxious from pot or tripping.

I really want to try psychedelics but am afraid my anxiety will affect my trip and how if I had a panic attack that would affect the trip or even whether psychedelics would help, hopefully some experienced psychedelic users can enlighten me on this.

I can only re-iterate the fact that weed can increase anxiety, especially social anxiety. I had to largely give up a mostly daily habit because of it.

I can still trip though. If in the right environment, and my trip is decidedly not an anxious one, I would consider partaking during the trip. It can definitely increase overall intensity and visuals. But do tread with caution here, as this could just as easily turn on you. When I was a chronic smoker, I would often need a hit or two a a kind of catalysis to get going as well. Not anymore though.

I also tend to avoid pot in general as it gives me a "brain cloud" that can last for days, even weeks afterwords.

Ahh I am kind of enlightened. I also get this "braincloud" that can last for a while, I thought that was common or even typical of cannabis use though

I wouldn't be too worried about anxiety if you are going into your trip with proper set and setting. I usually have pretty intense social anxiety but when I trip I feel very comfortable around people.

Another thing to think about is the fact that any of your ideas are going to be magnified by a billion while your tripping so try not the even think about anxiety before/during your trip. If you keep thinking about how you are going to experience anxiety, you probably will. Just go into your trip in a comfortable place with people you like and a clear head, everything should go just fine.

^ He hit the nail on the head right there. Lot's of good advice in this thread. I get paranoid or sometimes borderline anxiety attacks on pot if smoke any more than just a little, but I never ever have similar problems with pysches. Now that's not to say you can't find yourself starting to worry over something or get caught in negative thought pattern or any number of other things, but set and setting can preempt much of this. If you start freakin out a little remind yourself that no matter what, the effects will wear off in time, also something as small as a change in lighting or music can do wonders to alter your mood, so move around and find out what is comfortable/best for you if need be. Happy trails. :)

Xanax will help calm you down- it's an anti anxiety pill.

It can be very addictive though, you don't want to do it often. I'm really paranoid about everything, so I wouldn't take xanax more than twice a month. Of course, I'm a paranoid person.

It's not likely that you'll have any anxiety with LSD or mushrooms like you do with weed. It seems like most of the of psychedelics that are smoked are the ones that cause anxiety(DMT, THC, 5MeO... etc).

Just make sure your in a comfortable setting and with friends that all fully understand the drug.

I don't think it the smoked drugs: smoked DMT is very anxiolytic to me, I feel like a big old floppy worm after smoking it. Ayahuasca, on the other, can be terryfying.

If anything, it would be the quick on set.

With THC, it does have some odd actions re: glutamate and GABA, which are defintely related to anxiety.

Cannabis gives me the worst anxiety out of any drug, i can take lsd or shrooms and be completely fine

THC is the only substance that has ever triggered extreme panic reactions and anxiety in me.. I still smoke - but truth to be said - I'm not much of a fan of cannabis; It's more of a mindfuck for me than any psychedelic ever is, and not in a good way.

Low dose ought to be a good starting point to feel the waters.. :)

I have never had any anxiety from cannabis (usually extreme anxiolysis, which is one of its main purposes in my life nowadays). Actually it doesn't seem to be a physical mitigation of stress but only a psychological one, like that it just reroutes the anxiety provoking thoughts to dissipate or something. But I do get extreme anxiety from tryptamines (at least the two i've taken, shrooms and acid).

I have had at least 3 bad trips on acid, two of which were abysmally horrifying and uncontrollable and 2 bad trips on shrooms, one of which was the most horrifying and terrible experience of my whole life. I don't know what it is about tryptamines that fucks me up so bad, but even like 2-3 hits of acid can precipitate severe anxiety attacks which I get without psychedelics maybe once a month or so, always precipitated by psychological stress. Phenethylamines have never caused even the slightest hint of anxiety for me, being very anxiolytic, extremely relaxing, and infinitely euphoric.

I said earlier that I've never had any anxiety from cannabis, but what I mean is from JUST cannabis. 2 of my bad trips, both from acid, were *caused* by smoking weed. It elevates my trip to about 3-5 times the intensity, with much more intense and immersive visuals and a huge degree of randomness/weirdness. It also creates negative spirals for me. I'd suggest to anyone thinking about tripping to just always start at modest doses and to always try the drug by itself first before mixing with anything else if you have any reason to think you might have an anxiety attack or anything. They are so incredibly unpleasant and uncontrollable that it's not worth the risk. Be aware that smoking weed while tripping will almost certainly throw you to an entirely new plane of existence (though there are some who find it only relaxes them and doesn't increase the trip). Anyways, happy tripping!

Trip "anxiety" [:

I was going to trip my first time on LSD today.
I was just curious, do you guys find that taking anything-such as maybe, valerian root or any other kind of anxiolytic, help with the anxiety or panic you may expierence in a (particularly bad) trip?

Merged relevant question.

L-theanine is a wonderful supplement for this, but it is not a heavy hitter like a benzo and it takes a while to fully come on.

Benzo's like diazepam (valium) can be kept on hand but should be saved only for cases where there is really no point in trying to work it out yourself, or just going through it. Often when someone calls it a bad trip, obstacles are encountered that can be overcome or attempted to avoid. Avoiding rarely works because if you try not to think about something, you are actually thinking about it a lot.
Facing your issues can be very valuable, try to find the reason for why you are feeling the way you do in such a case. Taking an anxiolytic every time a feeling surfaces that you find uncomfortable will more or less teach you that you can avoid or ignore problems in your life which is pretty unhealthy.

However there are certainly cases where a person is just completely losing it. A benzo will not kill a trip but it can calm it down.

Typical anti-psychotics with 5-HT2A antagonistic properties would be a last resort for stopping a trip in its tracks, that should be for emergencies only.

Last edited: