• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Sensory Deprivation / Floatation Tank Thread

I've used tanks before. They're a unique experience and interesting.

Go in sober, and don't use them with drugs.

So I used the tanks while on mxe and it was fucking beautiful. I was floating on the lake of infinity.
It was an amazing experience, will write a full update tomorrow. Needless to say, mxe and float tanks go together very well.

At the floatation tank I use, they make you sign a form stating you aren't on drugs and there are big signs up saying it's not allowed... makes me wonder what kind of lunacy the staff have had to deal with in there.

Nope none of that nonsense, it was actually quite mellow, it was a very relaxed attitude. No forms and had a room of my own with a with a shower a tank and even a lock on the door for privacy. It's was really awesome can't wait to tell you guys about it after nye.

Have a fun and safe night everyone!

That sounds incredible!!! Wow i'm certainly looking into these things.

fyi i went to one of these things and ended up with eye irritation / itchiness. had to see an optometrist and use eye drops for about 10 days before it finally went away

didn't even really enjoy the float tank (went sober, maybe i should have taken something...)

Ouch that sucks man,, as high as I was I'm surprised I didn't get salt in my eyes.(the girl who took me to my room mentioned it can burn the nose and eyes)

So they took me back and explained the whole set up, gave me some good advice and left me to it. I did about 50-60mg right before I got into the tank crawled in and closed the door behind me. I can't even begin to describe what happend. At first I was like, "these tanks aren't light proof, I can see the edges of the tank, but it soon became clear it was my mind trying to make sense out of where I was, this went away very quickly and gave way to a pitch black void.

The water was unlike anything I've ever felt, somehow you don't feel the wetness of the water because the air in the tank is the same exact temp. Floating effortlessly I began to hallucinate sensations of movement and expansion. It felt as though I was floating on a endless sea of clouds. I then began to imagine scenes and landscapes and they would manifest before my eyes, things like floating through space, being inside a universe creating-machine, the womb, a dark corridor with torches lining the ceilings...ect.

Sometime during the float I had to use the bathroom, it took me at least five minutes to find the door out lol I could see thos being bad if someone was prone to panic. I
Just remembered to breath and I eventually found it.

When it was all over, the world was in HD, colors and edges were so sharp and clear. It had a extremely pleasant and euphoric afterglow which has lasted a few days.

All in all, an amazing experience and I highly reccomend it to anyone whose interested in consciousness exploration. I'm hooked. These things are vehicles for the imagination↗These things Arnt hype, there real.

Now that I know how relaxed the place I went to was, next time I'll take LSD.

So I used the tanks while on mxe and it was fucking beautiful. I was floating on the lake of infinity.
It was an amazing experience, will write a full update tomorrow. Needless to say, mxe and float tanks go together very well.
Glad you enjoyed it. I think for the huge majority of first timers to get a sample of a tank's visionary potential probably requires an NMDA antagonist. I had one session years ago with DPT and only got a taste of hynagogic-like imagery near the end of the hour allotted (which cost $40). I'm positive reaching the state sober in the tank requires significant practice, which simply isn't cost effective for most Bluelighters. But if a drug that blocks signals from the body like ketamine was used in conjunction the synergistic effects of two methods of sensory deprivation might be enough to get a taste of what most people reading this thread are hoping for.

Also, yeah, don't get the water in your eyes (VERY salty).

I've been in one on a not too high dose of K, it was a nice experience but I didn't like bumping into the sides so often. Not sure if there is a trick to that but it might be good to pass on if there is.

TBH I liked the shiatzu massage better that I got after going in the tank :p

And yeah be careful with the water, there is epsom salt in it... magnesium sulfate which is normally used as a desiccant. In water it is probably in plenty hydrated form already but I still imagine it can be aggressive. Nevertheless I had no problems with it personally.

Lizzy_Call_Me_Lizzy_Vol_2_We_All_Float_Down_Here-front-large.jpg

Last edited:
Yea I feel the mxe greatly enhanced the visionary aspect of the tank.
It made all the hype become a stark reality.

If your not a stranger to mxe or altered states:p(no pun intended), then I feel a little ket, mxe, LSD ect could be very useful for introducing yourself to a tank experience. Just trust yourself and don't do
Anything "heroic", and I'd bet 9/10 people would have a great time.

I'm already looking into another facility closer to me to float on LSD.

I would love it on moderate doses of ketamine but anything higher without supervision sounds like a recipe for disaster

Booked another session, I chatted with the owner for a bit.
I guess they only have float lab style tanks, which are essentially rooms modified to be float tank so people that are prone to claistrophobia can float more comfortable.

What kind of bummed me out about this place was over the phone, I mentioned I had a preference for an original Lily tank... And the response I got was, "oh these are $15,000 tanks and this is the tank Joe Rogan uses on his home..."
Kinda made me feel a bit skeptical because I feel like Joe Rogan, while perhaps trying to keep best intentions, is complelty unoriginal and basically stole everything he talks about from MCKenna and Lily.

Well see how it goes, I'm doing a 3-4hour float this time.

"oh yeh, Georgie boy they float, and down here. You'll, float, too ahhhhhhhh"
Love the image Solipsis! Very appropriate lol

Holy shit, dude, 3-4 hours? My float was for an hour, and I got out after about 45 minutes. My mind had had enough.

Really? I felt like I was just getting into the deep stuff when the music came on at 90 mins.
I'm super excited for this session.

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone had any experience floating face down in a float tank. I was curious so I tried holding my breath and going face down at the end of my last float and I think it would greatly enhance the experience for me. I was going to pick up some swim goggles and a snorkel but I was going to ask if anyone has ever tried this and had a negative or positive experience. Mainly I'm curious if it's hard to maintain a seal around the snorkel with your mouth.
Tanks a lot :)

^ I would think getting that salty water in your mouth would be the main problem, as it would bring you out of the experience very quickly. Not sure how easy that would be to avoid though, last time I snorkeled was when I was kid.

I tried one of these flotation tanks a while ago and I really liked it. Well not exactly a tank, but just a basin in a room that goes completely dark... and a two person basin at that so I had plenty space to stretch out. I also had to sign a form which among other things said not to float under the influence of alcohol or other drugs... I was very, very stoned, pretty sure the girl giving me the instructions noticed, but she didn't seem to care.

It was definitely an interesting experience, although not as overtly 'psychedelic' as I had imagined. One thing though that reminded me of tripping was, how hard it was to make myself stay still. You know that feeling when you lay on your bed about to peak and you're squirming around trying to find a comfortable position until you realize "Hey actually I'm comfortable already, this is really just an effort to keep being in control and avoid letting go." Also it is really amazing how it messes with your sense of motion. For some time I was feeling like I was spinning around in there relatively fast and started worrying that I would bang against the side of the basin at some point, although I was also considering the idea I wasn't moving at all, but only imagining it. This went on for some time until I felt my foot slightly touch the side of the basin and I realized that I was indeed moving, but much slower than it had felt like.

I could absolutely imagine floating under the influence of a psychedelic, but I don't think I would want to deal with the staff while tripping. So I guess I'll need to make a lot of money and then get my own tank. :D

I have been using SD tanks for years. There is a spa about 30 miles from my house where I go, every other weekend, and float for 2 hours at a clip. For those expecting miracles or hallucinations upon your first or early experiences, it doesn't really work like that. Also, shorter duration sessions tend to be less enjoyable, and for me, it isn't really until hour 2 that get where I want to go. And, it took me several months to really start enjoying it in ways other than simply relaxation. Don't give up, though...if you stick with it, you may find that floating has the potential to really change you, and sometimes when I am done with a session, and go have lunch, drive home, etc., I feel like I've slept/rested for a full night. And it's effects can last for more than a day, I've found. One of these days I've going to go in after taking a psychedelic, but I've avoided it because of how structured the experience is, and how many people you must encounter before, during and after, as well as the long ride home.

Sorry for bumping !

Yesterday I had my 5th float. I always used low dose cannabis oil and sometimes a microdose of aMT. Now I combined with an insufflated 10mg 5meodmt and some cannabis oil.

In previous floates I "needed" to do some breathwork in order to help me let go. Not with this low dose of 5meodmt. Perfectly at ease,body felt great, breathing was natural and I just enjoyed my 90minutes in the tank(which seemed shorter than usual). Came out and felt a wonderful afterglow (no shit, huh ;) ). Would recommend. I especially liked the duration of the 5meo in this case.

I asked what the float guy thought about me doing a longer (3-4h) float with a deeper psychedelic,but he wasn't immediatly convinced. Needed some time to think.. he was primarily afraid that something could go wrong or that I would throw up in the tank (huge problem). I'm curious what he's gonna decide upon ! If he gives the green light i'm thinking some MiPT. First I thought some 4HOxx would be nice but i'm just a sucker for good music when I'm on them. I think MiPT is more meditative.

My 2c's: floating and tripping feels like a match made in heaven. Some advice,though: I would get comfortable floating "sober" (i don't consider low dose cannabis oil really psychedelic) before trying it tripping. It takes some time/attempts to "work with" the tank. Once you know what you're in for, i'd definetly recommend dosing,if you're interested in consciousness expansion/how the mind works !