Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Sensory Deprivation / Floatation Tank Thread

EnYAY

Bluelighter
Whats up BL.

i hope this is in the correct forum as the isolation tank can be a VERY psychedelic experience.

After months and months of research and preparation i have finally made my appointment for the Isolation tank this Friday.

I really hope i can breakthrough into a dream like state.

Ive been practicing breathing meditation. And img oing to be on a HEAVY dose of cannabis.

for those of you who dont know what it is the following links will help you

Joe rogan talking about it

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEjTXX2rHgA

wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isolation_tank

My question is whos done this? and what kind of tips tricks or advice do you have for me?

%)

I'm sorry I have no tips for your, but sensory deprivation interests me as well. I would assume the effects are similar to a dissociative trip rather than a "classic" psychedelic experience? Whatever the case, good luck, and definately let us know how it goes!

My advice: maybe try it sober before you try it on a "HEAVY dose" of cannabis. You might find it unnecessary, especially if you can get "there" via meditation.

Also, don't shave the day before going in, as the salts in the water will irritate the FUCK out of your skin.

deemster.teamster said:
My advice: maybe try it sober before you try it on a "HEAVY dose" of cannabis. You might find it unnecessary, especially if you can get "there" via meditation.

Also, don't shave the day before going in, as the salts in the water will irritate the FUCK out of your skin.

you sir might have just saved me a buncha of irritation.

harm prevention at its finest! lol

thanks bro

I have limited experience with sensory deprivation tanks or less threateningly 'floatation tanks'
it absolutly is something everyone must try once, but i think doing it under the influence of drugs totally defeats the purpose, the tank is a way to achieve an analogous drug state without drugs. to enter it on drugs would overshadow the subtleties that make the tank interesting. i know it was invented by john lilly famous Ketamine addict who used the tank with a variety of psychoactives, but the initial experiments were done sober. also they make me sign a form saying i am not under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and i wouldent dare lie to a sensory dep tank operator%)

that said i have oft wondered what the ideal tank drug would be...
something thats over in an hour, has a virtually immediate come up and fast come down as well. and will allow enough control so as not to cause one to scream or attract attention. Insufflated DMT with a MAOI came to mind.

^Ketamine comes to mind, but I guess you would already be experiencing dissociative effects (i read somewhere, i think it was that lilly said ketamine mimics
the effects of the isolation tank, but taking LSD and going inside was quite an experience).

DMT is the only thing I can think of, but i think it would be worthwhile to do some L, even though i can picture the trip and coming out of the tank, completely smashed, can be a bit much. I think DMT would sorta overpower the tank, you would prolly forget you are in one, but perhaps 5-meo-DMT...

I think cannabis would be great with it...though it'd be worthwhile to get the experience sober first.
Especially some oral cannabis.

Try it sober first, I'd reckon. I don't think that taking LSD and going into a sensory deprivation tank would be a good idea. I'd freak the fuck out about being in a dark, enclosed space...I'd be all "just take me to a damn meadow already, bros!!"

Also, don't take anything that might allow you to drown without realizing it-- would prolly be good advice.

wow. these are some great replys.

thanks alot guys. i will post a full "trip report" on fri night.

I've been in one once, on ketamine... but it was a bit of a disappointment. Wasn't spacing too strong and I was constantly distracted by stuff like dripping water and uncomfortable shit. Still an awesome feeling, pure endless drifting in nothing...

April 19th, on bicycle day, is my birthday and I am now planning to go in there again with a good friend, on a good dose of a good psychedelic. I have a terrific collection so no problem there...

but what do you guys think would be the ideal psychedelic for going on interstellar journeys to meet extraterrestrial beings?

My guess would be a tryptamine, as you might understand (or not)...

I would love to hear suggestions and motivations <3 <3

I didn't know you could schedule appointments to use isolation tanks... does make sense though. Guess I always just pictured them in the pristine labs of universities and in the basements of marvelous eccentrics. A brief scouring of the internet didn't bring up any facilities for such things... does anyone know a good resource for finding these places... or an average charge for usage?

I think I just found a new mission for the summer months.

floatfinder.com

I would experience the tank sober first, but I consider just pot still being sober :)

If they dont brief you, hopefully you get a Samadhi brand tank. Make sure the light is out, door is closed and heater and fan are on!

I made a 1 hour appointment years ago and arrived coming up on some IM DPT that I injected in the parking lot. It was a fascinating time, like a very lucid hynogogic state. On exiting, I realized the tank had actually detracted from the DPT. DPT does a lot of its more artistic work at a sensual level for me, and so removing the environmental inputs removed it from its medium. I'd like to return with a longer appointment time and a more cerebral psychedelic like DMT or 4-ho-DMT, then IM one with ketamine beforehand.

So your experience too wasn't as worthwhile as expected?
That's so strange, it is supposed to be possible to go far sober going by John Lilly's shit, and dissociatives should mean doubling up...
I space the hell out on a psychedelic just by putting a mindfold on (a very comfortable padded blindfold eyeshade that lets no light pass at all), sensory deprivation should hold so much potential.

Still, I'm sure it's not that hard to trip balls to the wall if you take a full dose of the right psychedelic, though I would think DPT would work!!

4-AcO-DMT could be a possibility... LSD surely but for some reason I don't prefer that idea, plus I don't have any proper L on hand this moment.

Hard! Perhaps 4-AcO-MiPT but I do want to take something I have previous experience with, so that would mean a trial sooner than later.

that said i have oft wondered what the ideal tank drug would be...
something thats over in an hour, has a virtually immediate come up and fast come down as well. and will allow enough control so as not to cause one to scream or attract attention. Insufflated DMT with a MAOI came to mind.

Ketamine.....

i know someone died doing k in a bathtub but you float a little easier and it would not take a lot....

that feeling of floatyness you get from K in water, but your going to be so numb that the water is for all intensive purposes not there, and your just floating in space on ketamine....

or at least thats what i think would happen.....

I would like someone to monitor me while im in there to make sure i don't drown myself by accident....

why would you even need to snort the DMT?

Throw 15-20mg into a pipe, stand in the tank, hit the pipe a couple of times and just lay back....

Ketamine.....

i know someone died doing k in a bathtub but you float a little easier and it would not take a lot....

that feeling of floatyness you get from K in water, but your going to be so numb that the water is for all intensive purposes not there, and your just floating in space on ketamine....

or at least thats what i think would happen.....

I would like someone to monitor me while im in there to make sure i don't drown myself by accident....

why would you even need to snort the DMT?

Throw 15-20mg into a pipe, stand in the tank, hit the pipe a couple of times and just lay back....

I believe that's how John Lilly, the inventor of the isolation tank, died (IM ketamine in a bathtub).

Those of you trying the isolation tank should report back on how it goes, I'm very interested in trying out an isolation tank. Sober or stoned, at least on the first time.

I believe that's how John Lilly, the inventor of the isolation tank, died (IM ketamine in a bathtub).

Those of you trying the isolation tank should report back on how it goes, I'm very interested in trying out an isolation tank. Sober or stoned, at least on the first time.

You're thinking of D.M. Turner who died on K in the bathtub on New Year's Eve.
http://www.erowid.org/culture/characters/turner_dm/turner_dm.shtml

It looks like Dr. John C. Lilly died of old age?
http://www.erowid.org/culture/characters/lilly_john/lilly_john.shtml