View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☛ Official ☚ The Big & Dandy Scale / Balance Thread - Part 2.000±

Proscale precision-10

Hello!

I plan on buying a scale. I cant spend much money right now, and I was wondering if the PROSCALE PRECISION-10 (http://saveonscales.com/product_ps_precision_10.html) would be fine.

At the moment Ill be just measuring some phenethylamines (such as some 2C-X), and I dont need to measure beneath 10mg. Im saying this because Ive heard that most of these scales arent precise under the 10mg mark(+/- 4mg), but will work rigurously over the 10 mg (+/- 1mg). Has someone tried this scale? AS far as I think, it would be ok to measure ~15mg doses with it, but not much less, and at the moment I dont need to go under that weight.

However I was thinking, now that Im going to buy a scale, maybe its worth spending more (much more, however) on a good one (GemPro 250) so that, when the day of measuring some DOX, foxy or other low-dose chemical comes, I dont have to buy a new one.
However, at the moment, as I am not gonna need to go beneath 10mg, I thought that the proscale precision 10 would be just fine, and maybe in a year or so I could get a better one, when I need it.

What are your oppinions about this? I know you guys love the GemPro 250, but take in account that at the moment I dont need to go beneath 10mg (I could always use dilution techniques, however) and that the price difference is astounding. Do I get the pro scale precision 10?

Thanks in advance! Cheers!

:)

Some other options

Just another issue, I hope you guys can help me out a bit.
I found some scales which are half way through the Pro Scale Precission-10 and the GemPro-250 as regards price and quality. Not too bad, yet not too expensive.

The Jennings Mack-20 (http://www.saveonscales.com/product_js_mack_series.html) is pretty exact and reliable. It`s not a GemPro250, neather a cheap chinese scale. It might be precise even under the 10mg range. The only thing that I dislike about this one is that it has a precission of 2mg instead of having a precision of 1mg. Why would they make it of 2mg instead of 1mg? But this makes me wonder... Is it worth buying a somewhat precise 2mg scale over an unmprecise and cheap 1mg scale? Probably yes.

On the other hand there's the Jennings VG-20 (http://www.saveonscales.com/product_js_vg_series.html). In the site it is clearly said that it has a precission of 0,0002g - 2mg. I am very confused because 0,0002g is 0,2mg, and not 2mg. Does this mean that the rest of the balances which suppostly have a precission of 0,001g are in fact 10mg? Or is there just a problem with the Jennings VG-20 and the rest of the balances' specifications are correct. In that case, does the Jennings VG-20 read in 0,002g (2mg) or in 0,0002g (0,2mg)? I suppose they just wrote one more 0 than they should of, and that this balance actually has a precision of 2mg. In that case, its an OK balance, similar to the previous one. Pretty reliable and precise, and at the same time moderately cheap. But again, ¿why does it have a precision of 2mg intead of 1mg? ¿Is it worth it even so?

Finally there's the GemPro-50 (http://www.saveonscales.com/product_mw_gempro50.html), the "younger brother" of the GemPro-250. Its obviously not as precise, but its still reliable and trustworthy. Some of you guys are in discontent with this product as you were expecting more out of the younger brother, however others are very pleased with the results, as this balance i actualy quite precise in comparison with other balances of the same price. Again, it has a precission of 2mg instead of 1mg, as the previous ones. Is this a really important issue? I mean, I wont be fully satisfied getting a balance which only reads to 2mg when Ic ould get one which reads down to 1mg, even if its less precise. But thats just because of my ignorance on the issue (which I hope you guys can take away cultivating me with some information about these balances, hehehe).

Well, thats more or less all I wanted to know, I would be very pleased if you could help me out a bit, as I am very indecise and I dont have the knowledge to make a correct dicision by myself.

Thanks in advance!

:)

Oh! Another question...

Whats the difference between the GemPro 150 and the GemPro 250? As far as I know the 250 is just the new model of the 150, but there are no apparent differences in precission or anything (both measure up to 0,001g). So whats the difference? Maybe the 250 is more reliable and works better?

Help me out a bit, guys, just form personal experience or whatever... Just dont read this and close the thread, at least put something. Im sure many of you know a lot about this issue. Or at least if you dont but the balance that you use and how efficiently it works.

Thanks! :)

I just bought a OHAUS AS153 Adventurer SL, anyone know if its good i cant find reviews anywhere!

This is a great scale.

Did the bulk order plan come to fruition? If not, what scale would you recommend for real .001g accuracy at ~$100-200? I have heard people recommend the Tanita 1210-50 on the old thread -- is that still the best? I am tired of bullshit readings from my AWS scale...

The Jennings Mack-20 (http://www.saveonscales.com/product_js_mack_series.html) is pretty exact and reliable. It`s not a GemPro250, neather a cheap chinese scale. It might be precise even under the 10mg range. The only thing that I dislike about this one is that it has a precission of 2mg instead of having a precision of 1mg. Why would they make it of 2mg instead of 1mg? But this makes me wonder... Is it worth buying a somewhat precise 2mg scale over an unmprecise and cheap 1mg scale? Probably yes.

On the other hand there's the Jennings VG-20 (http://www.saveonscales.com/product_js_vg_series.html). In the site it is clearly said that it has a precission of 0,0002g - 2mg. I am very confused because 0,0002g is 0,2mg, and not 2mg. Does this mean that the rest of the balances which suppostly have a precission of 0,001g are in fact 10mg? Or is there just a problem with the Jennings VG-20 and the rest of the balances' specifications are correct. In that case, does the Jennings VG-20 read in 0,002g (2mg) or in 0,0002g (0,2mg)? I suppose they just wrote one more 0 than they should of, and that this balance actually has a precision of 2mg. In that case, its an OK balance, similar to the previous one. Pretty reliable and precise, and at the same time moderately cheap. But again, ¿why does it have a precision of 2mg intead of 1mg? ¿Is it worth it even so?

Finally there's the GemPro-50 (http://www.saveonscales.com/product_mw_gempro50.html), the "younger brother" of the GemPro-250. Its obviously not as precise, but its still reliable and trustworthy. Some of you guys are in discontent with this product as you were expecting more out of the younger brother, however others are very pleased with the results, as this balance i actualy quite precise in comparison with other balances of the same price. Again, it has a precission of 2mg instead of 1mg, as the previous ones. Is this a really important issue? I mean, I wont be fully satisfied getting a balance which only reads to 2mg when Ic ould get one which reads down to 1mg, even if its less precise. But thats just because of my ignorance on the issue (which I hope you guys can take away cultivating me with some information about these balances, hehehe).

Well, thats more or less all I wanted to know, I would be very pleased if you could help me out a bit, as I am very indecise and I dont have the knowledge to make a correct dicision by myself.

Thanks in advance!

Probably because Tanita and Jennings are being honest here -- It's very difficult to get +-1mg in an open air balance system. The repeatability on the Tanita scales is very good, while I've seen the myweigh scales vary by as much as 10mg compared to the actual readings on an analytical balance.

From a hunting forum on the VIC123 from Acculab:
I also have an Acculab VIC-123, when I recieved the scale I accually thought it was defective because it drifted so much. I called Acculab and sent it to them after a couple of days I recieved a call from acculab stating the scale checked out OK and it was sent back to me. Scale still drifts anywhere from .04-10gns yea, thats right 10gns. Not worth the money in my opinion. I cannot speak for the DI scale as I have never used one.

(I'll note that all these cheap-o milligrams scales are fairly shitting compared to a proper analytical balance, though).

(I'll note that all these cheap-o milligrams scales are fairly shitting compared to a proper analytical balance, though).

Would you consider the Jennings VG-20 one of the cheap scales? I think its not as bad.

What about the Gem Pro 50 or the 150?

Thanks for the reply. :)

Would you consider the Jennings VG-20 one of the cheap scales? I think its not as bad.

What about the Gem Pro 50 or the 150?

Thanks for the reply. :)

The Jenning balances are generally good. The Tanita 1210 has always had accurate, repeatable measurements within it's specifications. I wasn't fond of the GemPro 50 several years ago but the newer model (GemPro2) may be improved.

the new gem pro 250 is very very bad in my experience, i would recommend against buying it (whish someone had done the same for me) its made of thin cheep mcdonalds toy type plastic, it broke almost immediately everything about it is obviously cheep. my 15 dollar ebay scale works much better.

you can always place a small aluminum foil "tray" in the cup or on the weighing surface. Just be sure to account for the weight one way or another.

I just purchases this scale
http://cgi.ebay.com/20-001g-Diamond...6|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Seems like a pretty damn good deal.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to weigh stuff out, without losing much powder? I purchases some tweezers to help out. But I assume the powder could easily get stuck to the measuring cup and stuff.

Just use a piece of paper layed over the cup and make sure you tare it. Or use anything that won't overload your scales.....I've, in the past, wieghed gel caps, tared, and then added weight that way. But yar, if you just dump powder on your scales it will get stuck to a degree; an old pair of my scales glistens with god knows what, am tempted to lick it (not really). All in all though, it would be about 3mg of 15 different chems or so, so loss is nothing great. Also depends what yur weighing- 2C-E is hard to weigh as it is weirdly fluffly.....Same with some of the more 'pastey' freebases....

Recently purchased an Acculab VIC-123 and I can't say enough about it. It's very excellent. I noticed the similar problem people have reported about electrical current and other appliances and devices affecting the reading but it wasn't difficult to get around. Make sure that if you order this scale from an online vendor, the calibration weights are included with the purchase. I did not do this and as a result I got a scale in the mail the day before a very anticipated trip and could not calibrate. It was a bummer.

Just use a piece of paper layed over the cup and make sure you tare it. Or use anything that won't overload your scales.....I've, in the past, wieghed gel caps, tared, and then added weight that way. But yar, if you just dump powder on your scales it will get stuck to a degree; an old pair of my scales glistens with god knows what, am tempted to lick it (not really). All in all though, it would be about 3mg of 15 different chems or so, so loss is nothing great. Also depends what yur weighing- 2C-E is hard to weigh as it is weirdly fluffly.....Same with some of the more 'pastey' freebases....

It's 2c-i that I plan on weighing.

Hopefully I get my scale and gelcaps (both from ebay) by next week. And what exactly does the tare thing do?

^Tare cancels out weight that is already on the scale. For example if you put a 1g weight on and push "tare" the scale should say 0. If you remove the 1g weight it should say -1g.

I have this scale:
http://www.amazon.com/0-001gram-Dia...f=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1235704233&sr=8-1

I was wondering if anyone else had it. It is the cheapest milligram scale you can buy. Who knows how accurate it is. Probably not very but it does seem fairly consistent. I originally bought it for DMT which it works fine for but I may be trying 2c-e soon and I would like to know if its safe to use this scale. Maybe I should just spring for a better one that is guaranteed to be accurate with +-2mg.

SO TRUE. Led me to eyeballing my initial doses as it was simply too fluffy for my then cheapo pocket scale to measure. Oh, the horror.

It depends on the molecular mass of the compound and the way it was crystallized. I've seen 200mg of compounds be equivalent in visual size to 1g of other compounds.

Patience is a virtue, my friends. I looked about one month daily on ebay and have seen 3 auctions for 0,1 mg scales each ending at about 230€. (Keep in mind these were all in Europe, I have seen even more in America but decided not to risk the shipping overseas)

Now compared to all these fairly dubious plastic scales which many of them showing dysfunctions after only a few weeks of usage, a 0,1mg lab scale is pure bliss.
I bought mine for 225€ (accuracy 0,1mg ; linearity 0,2mg), and well if you think your researching days are over, just resell the scale on ebay. If you are good you might actually get more money out of it than you paid in the first place.

so I bought a scale from my friend it is off and i need to calibrate it. only problem is I cant find the scale under the name on the scale only by a generic name.
diamond_scale_new_01.jpg
this is what the scale looks like I was wondering if anyone knew how to calibrate it