• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Psychedelic Synaesthesia Thread

i'm sure you'll be fine :)

i've never experienced synesthesia but havent done that strong doses, but looking at my oven the other day i was thinking how interesting it would be to be able to see heat...

I'm starting to feel better about it as I read more and realize that I'm in total control. If something scared me, I should just stop looking at it, realize the acid won't hurt me and I'm not going to die, and do something else.

I think I will end up looking in the mirror, unless someone really advices against it. I feel like looking at myself on acid will let me see myself in a different way. One of the reasons I want to do acid is to try to understand myself better, and also try to understand other people, especially my mom. I've heard of people being able to put themselves in another person's place and they say they are finally able to understand why the person did something or why they act how they do because they weren't bogged down by personal opinions. That's ego loss, right?

That's too bad about the synesthesia. I suppose I can't expect to experience it at such a low dose(one hit), but I still really want to. Perhaps one day, I'll work myself up to taking a high enough dose. But probably not. I've never really been one to take high doses of anything. =P

Also, I'm doing this tomorrow in the house I grew up in(My dad's out of town) with my sister and her boyfriend and maybe I few of their friends(maybe). It'll be at night. My sister and her boyfriend have never really been ones to want to go outside for a walk or anything, but I would really really like to go for a walk. If I know the neighborhood really well(I grew up here), would it be dangerous to take a walk by myself while tripping? Do you think it would be easy to get lost or get into trouble?

So I've heard that LSD can cause synesthesia, but I've never actually read about any experiences where it actually happened. I'm very intrigued by the idea of synesthesia, and would be delighted to experience it. Is it a common occurrence?

It is common, yes. But the dose needs to be high enough (i need about 2 normal hits), and you must be able to let it happen... for me it took 3-4 acid trips until i really managed to get full on synaesthesia...

btw for synaesthesia i for one prefer 2c-e over acid, it does get me in this kind of mindset more reliably, though overall i think i prefer acid as it tends to be more gentle to me... for your first time acid seems best, but don't be too concentrated on the merging of your senses, there's more to psychedelics than that ;) just go in it with an open mind and embrace what you see...

Does marijuana make you trip harder or help take any anxiety away? Does it make the come up better? Prevent nausea? Is nausea even a common issue?

That depends on you... daily smokers (like myself) tend to prefer to mix cannabis with psychs, while for occasional tokers it often is too much / too confusing. For me it smoothens the come-up and adds extra colour to the peak, also good for fighting nausea on the come up (though i don't get nauseaus with lsd, but with 2c-e especially it's vital to have it around)

for the first trip i would advise you to go without cannabis until after the peak, better to first see what lsd alone has to offer imho...

I feel like my biggest risk for a bad trip is when it first kicks in. If I start getting afraid of the oncoming affects(I feel like melting walls might freak me out a little at first =S), what's the best way to calm myself?(I don't have xanax or anything)

Don't be afraid, it's a good thing, everything you see comes from within you, is part of you... embrace it!

if you get in a rough spot what helps best is meditation - just focus on your breathing and maybe make up a mantra for yourself beforehand (like: everything is allright etc) that you can repeat in your head / say out loud... it really helps :)

if you are religious: pray, prayer will summon the light, and the light will guide you ;)

in case you trip hard it can help to remind yourself that you have taken a drug and that the effects will wear off (though you should be open about the possibility that you won't ever be the same after taking acid, beforehand... it surely changed me permanently - for me in a good way)

Also, is it one of those things where you're fine one moment and then it hits you like a truck, or does it gradually build to a peak?

The come-up is gradually, but if it's good acid you will have some "wtf-moments", and if you happen to let go completely you might merge into the universe (so called ego death) nothing could prepare you for this experience, only advice i can give there: don't ever fight it! (fighting it may result in a catatonic state)

but again for me this is a very good thing to happen, nothing to be afraid of at all...

What about mirrors? I want to look at myself with altered perception, but I've heard people see like, flesh melting off their faces. If I look in a mirror, is that potential for a bad trip?

I love mirrors on high dose trips! i recommend looking at one during your trip, you will be astonished of what is possible (seeing all the faces your incarnation wears during this lifetime morphing into eachother, representing the whole cycle of your existence)

it is no more a trigger for a bad trip than anything else, imho there are no bad trips btw there are difficult ones, but those tend to be the ones where the most can be learned...

I'm sure I sound like a major newbie with all these questions, but I always feel better about trying a drug for a the first time when I'm fully prepared. I hope all this is allowed. =S

To me it sounds like you are ready (the reason i took time to try and answer your questions thoroughly and honestly) i'm sure you will have an epic trip and really hope you reach states of synaesthesia on the first try :)

and something to hopefully make you smile:

Also, I'm doing this tomorrow in the house I grew up in(My dad's out of town) with my sister and her boyfriend and maybe I few of their friends(maybe). It'll be at night. My sister and her boyfriend have never really been ones to want to go outside for a walk or anything, but I would really really like to go for a walk. If I know the neighborhood really well(I grew up here), would it be dangerous to take a walk by myself while tripping? Do you think it would be easy to get lost or get into trouble?

Sounds great. Definately go for a walk! Nothing like "nature" on psychs... i will never forget standing in front of a tree on my first trip... was standing there in awe for what must have been at least half an hour (an eternity in terms of time dialation on the peak of a mushroom trip), life changing!

of course you can get in trouble, but that as well might happen sober, just wait until the peak has settled and you're fine (at least if it's not a neighbourhood where it's common to be mugged / robbed)

Its a blast to go out and walk around a nice neighborhood. But like the man said not in a bad neighborhood. That WILL give you a bad trip almost guaranteed.

You just have to be ready to embrace the effects that are coming. You have to be ready to be awed by the power that is in that little dose and know that it will go away after a while. You are just scared of the unknown and that is normal but if you are in a safe environment with things to do(music is best) you should be alright. Don't just sit there thinking about how long its going to last just go with it and it will take you on a ride of your life time. Smoking pot helps calm if you start getting anxious and don't worry you can't get to high. Oh, and have fun with it! If you face starts melting just know that in a few hours it will be all back together and you wont find any leftover on the floor after your trip is done!

weed and tripping goes very negative fro me- i would avoid it big time:\

but i have been there and had my face melt (i was in a room that had been painted in anti mold paint and the fumes were really bad) and do you know what, it was over after a couple of hours and i felt surprisingly good after. still haven't touched 4-aco-dmt since and probably wont for years

also, going for a walk^ is very good advice, somewhere scenic and in nature or with lots of trees and streetlights

Last edited:
Well, thanks for all the advice and information. I've got a little piece of white paper sitting on my tongue right now. =) I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty nervous.

Wish me luck.

Synesthesia is a very beautiful thing. I experienced it on my first LSD trip. I was sitting in the living room, listening to The Doors and I started seeing sounds coming out of the stereo. They didn't have any colour but I could clearly see the waves coming towards me in the rhythm of the music. Great experience!

i may be unique in this but weed does not affect me during the peak of an lsd trip, but will heighten th effects on the come down. mushrooms however, weed blasts me off.
the first time i did some high powered acid, i honestly didnt understand how anyone could have a bad time on it, but i was in a great set and setting.
provided you can remember that it will in fact end, youll be gravy, just dont fight it, you wont win, let go and just be.
come to think of it, tomorrow never knows by the beatles seems to be solid advice on how to do acid

Hey guys. =)

Unfortunutely, the acid I took was a little weak. We think something might have happened to it while being handled by the previous dealer.

However, I don't really mind that it was a weak trip. I got a taste of acid and absolutely loved it. I loved the feeling I had and the hallucinations. I felt great, and have a really nice afterglow now.

Sure, it could've been stronger, but it's okay because I still had a lot of fun. I'm really looking forward to more trips.

We watched that movie, "Alpha and Omega" about the wolves. Man, that was weird, haha.

I'm really curious about this aspect. Everyone knows about seeing sounds, tasting light, etc. Generally confusion of the 5 well known senses.

I've encountered two forms that both took me a long time to even realize that's what they were.

1. DMT, one of my hyperspace encounters with a giant light being was as I described "singing to me, but through waves of energy rather than sound". It was the hardest thing to explain, and I never made the correlation of it being a form of synesthesia until a friend made the realization for me.

2. LSD has one really interesting one, where I would get the sensation of being hot and cold at the same time. I would be in a vehicle, turning off and on the AC repeatedly to no effect, unable to satiate whatever desire my brain was interpreting as being both hot and cold at the same time. When I rolled down the window to smoke a cigarette though, it went away with the wind blowing in my face.

After experiencing this a few times over different trips, it finally dawned on me that the feeling of being both "hot and cold" at the same time, was really a sensory misinterpretation of the desire for fresh air. Face palm moment, and though I still experience it on LSD, I now have learned what it means and can account for it.

What other interesting forms have been experienced?

Nice thread idea!

I wish I could contribute more. I don't tend to get very much interesting sensory phenomena, like visuals or synaesthesia, on psychedelics. Most of my trips are confined to effects on my thoughts, rather than senses. I can think of a couple exceptions, however:

On one of the first trips I ever had on a psychoactive chemical, in this case N2O, I had an experience in which my body image was somehow confused with the general form of a spiral galaxy. I felt like my appendages were the spiraling arms of the galaxy.

Also, on a high dose of 25I-NBOMe, I remember having some very interesting sensory phenomena. I can't quite verbalize exactly what was going on, but I think I was hallucinating these complex three-dimensional structures, that surrounded me, seemingly occupying the empty space of the room in which I was tripping -- and the 3D structures had some sort of strange self-identity, as if they were a part of my body, or ego.

After i stopped doing coke, which i was for 6 months, about 1g/week-3g/week, there were several occasions where i would smell coke randomly when there wasn't any around.

Just a clarification, I'm speaking of synesthesia, not hallucinations.

An example of another "technically possible" but unlikely one, is for instance having your arm itch when you're hungry instead of feeling hunger pains.

Real stimuli, but interpreted as a different sensation (an itch instead of hunger).

After using jwh-018 for a few months, years ago, I started to notice that sometimes when I closed my eyes I would get the feeling that I am touching or grasping a physical manifestion of something in my mind. The physical sense of touch was happening mentally. Very hard to describe. Like grabbing an object that doesn't exist without even attempting to grab it. It is a very peculiar event.

Just a clarification, I'm speaking of synesthesia, not hallucinations.

An example of another "technically possible" but unlikely one, is for instance having your arm itch when you're hungry instead of feeling hunger pains.

Real stimuli, but interpreted as a different sensation (an itch instead of hunger).

Yeah maybe, reminds me of referred pain almost as much as synaesthesia. (Best known example of referred pain is the radiating pain in your arm before a heart attack)

To quote wiki:

Recently, difficulties have been recognized in finding an adequate definition of synesthesia[5][6], as many different phenomena have been covered by this term and in many cases the term synesthesia ("union of senses") seems to be a misnomer. A more accurate term for the phenomenon may be ideasthesia.

I don't mean to nitpick but if the topic is unusual forms of synaesthesia maybe we aren't actually talking about synaesthesia anymore.

@Psyke:

Sorry for not being constructive again, but I don't think that counts either since there is no initial sensation that is being misinterpreted. If it is coming from purely mental processes it is just hallucination. Still it's pretty amazing, that is for sure. Makes me think about at least one time on DMT when I was seeing ghost-like silhouettes of 'people' around me, made of static hanging in the air. But what was special about it was I could vaguely sense these entities even with my eyes closed. Then they touched me and every touch was accurately accompanied by skin parasthesia. Quite touching! (no pun intended)

While tripping I've noticed that the corner of a room may have its own "mood," despite the fact that I had never paid much attention to it before. It's as if every sensational experience I've ever had has its own coordinate in consciousness, oriented in phenomenal space by the features of its memory, accessible only if my attentional loci happen to graze it in their travels. (yes I intend this to be as subtle and abstruse as it sounds -- I know of no other way to talk about it).

Last edited:
A couple of times on 2c-e I've had a strange sensation occur where when I'm listening to songs with my eyes closed the song will embody a certain drug. It's a very sensory phenomenon - I really FEEL like a song is LSD or something.