• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Psychedelic Synaesthesia Thread

Synaesthetic Psychedelics and Forging New, Lasting Neural Connections

Most psychonauts have probably gained new insight and have a particular wisdom facilitated by their use of psychedelics, and while most of those people have probably forgotten most of the lessons they've learned, I doubt any would say they haven't been changed at all. I've experienced all of that over the past 8 years, but in using a particular atypically synaesthetic drug, I feel I've stumbled upon something I find much different with a long-lasting impact on how I perceive one particular aspect of life: music.

I'm not talking about a new appreciation for music. I have played various instruments since the age of 10, have a great ear, and have listened to music most of my waking hours outside of school/work for all my life. I was really impressed the first time I heard music while drunk, I was blown away by how good music sounded after I first smoked weed, and I was floored listening to music while rolling. They all simply made it sound "better." There's nothing terribly deep or foreign to it--it's simply an enhancement. While MDMA allowed me to process and isolate individual parts more quickly, I attribute that mostly to the stimulation, and above all else find it to be in large part sensory hedonism... There's nothing wrong with that, it's just not something that really changes you long-term. You can probably recall a bit of the magic right now if you've ever rolled before, but that magic isn't subconsciously at work in your brain--you can only call upon the memories of it.

I started using 2C-E three or four months ago. I used it about 10 times, moderate to heavy doses (15-35 mg), over the course of 6 weeks, so I'd estimate I spent 100-120 hours under the influence of 2C-E in a rather short period of time. After coming up the first time while reading a book with the stereo on in the background, I became distracted from the book and began just listening to music. I've spent maybe 90% of my time on 2C-E simply listening to music or playing my guitars/keyboards. Unlike the other drugs I've mentioned, I didn't find 2C-E to actually enhance the sound of music at all. To me it sounds the same as music sounds sober. 2C-E just allowed me to absorb it in all the usual ways like pitch, timbre, association with musical theory, etc., and on new levels far beyond that. I didn't understand it at first because I couldn't really put words to my new understanding--I could just dissect, feel, and experience individual instruments on a new level, as if I was using parts of my brain to experience sound that the sense of hearing had nothing to do with--synaesthesia focused on a single stimulus (the output of my stereo or amp) devoid of the internal chaos I typically experience when using other synaesthetic psychedelics. These effects were mostly gone two to three days later. After raising my usual dose to 20 mg+, those effects were amplified but still orderly--a very deep, functional ability to perceive, feel, understand music in a way that wasn't hedonistic or even pleasurable outside of an immense sense of satisfaction, but in a way that simply put more of my brain to work.

These new perceptions of organized sound (which is fundamentally what music is) which had initially faded with the afterglow of each trip have now become a regular part of my daily sensory experience. I feel as though I've spent enough hours experiencing music on 2C-E and focusing on what was happening in my brain in a short span of time that new parts of my brain light up when I listen to and play music today. Roughly 8 weeks since my last dose, I find myself easily distracted by music when working which I'd, in the past, tune out in the background. I can't help but focus on it and it's quite honestly mentally exhausting at times. As a musician of 15 years, I didn't really think I could further bond with music, but here I am enthralled by something I thought I fully understood. Now every single note tweaks my mind in new, strange ways that I can only explain with an internal emotional response, and not in words of any language. Without intending to, I've essentially retrained the way my brain perceives music by spending roughly 100 intensive hours dedicated to nothing but music intertwined with the endless free-flowing associations and sense of connectedness granted by 2C-E. I've noticed no drop-off at all in the prevalence of these new perceptions since my last dose nearly two months ago. At this point I feel as if it's become a regular part of my neurochemistry. I spend literally hours a day using these new-found neural pathways, and as I get more and more used to them, they've begun to blend in seamlessly among my usual ways of perceiving music. I'm subconsciously utilizing more of my mental bandwidth and parts of the network which had previously gone unused in the context of the perception of music.

Has anyone else experienced such a profound change that seems to take part at the very lowest of levels, that being sensory perception? This isn't a lesson I learned or a brilliant thought I had or a powerful spiritual experience, nor a notion of the kind of person I should strive to be or what I should do with my life. It's simply a dramatic, seemingly long-term change in the way I perceive one of the most important facets of my world.

Synaesthesia can for sure be conditioned. Even without drugs. Sometimes I go months without tripping, just working on visuals for my vj work which respond to music and I get a sort of closed-eye synaesthesia from it. I now have a set of colours and patterns that seem to work with certain musical rhythms and keys. Kind of unwritten rules to what looks good with what kind of music. I think that there is something of a common, underlying mechanism that interprets senses which allows this to happen.

I'm something of a musician and this fascinates me. I haven't used 2c-e in probably 4 years because the anxiety I feel on it was so intense that every trip I had after the first I had to use xanax to mellow me out. I'm sure that had some adverse effects on my ability to forge new neural pathways.

That's too bad, it sounds like you've really given yourself something cool.

I know a guy (distantly) who is full-flown syneasthetic. He sings in the university chorus and my roommate says he's never been off key because he sees the notes as a color and it's easy for him to just match the colors. Weird.

Hmm, actually first of all I think I have HPPD, but yesterday I was sort of doubting that and thinking hmm... Maybe I just have this acquired Synaesthesia from when I done acid a couple times..

Cause I was looking at this lamp and.. While the music was playing the light from the lamp kept growing and becoming shorter and expanding in patterns. But this was right after I took a huge bong toke I started noticing this.. So maybe cannabis gives me Synaesthesia now?!!?

^Sensory crossover is defintely an attribute of cannabis. What I'm writing about below- time travelling here- is enhanced massively by cannabis. HPPD is a pretty rare condition, usually accompanied by many other symptoms.

I think many people experience sober synaethesia; we tend to describe sounds as 'sharp' or 'bright' or 'heavy'- though, humans are also excellent at creating symbols.

I know, for myself as someone who writes psytrance, attaching a particualr sensory feeling to a sound certainly helps me to mix it; I often find that I don't "see" sound or anything like that, but it has enormourmous texture to me. A filter sweep can sound 'velvetine', 'coarse', 'smooth', but they are only general terms for such- the feeling itself tends to be a bit more vivid. However, I do wonder how much my textural-sensory-amalagamism is influnced by other, non-musical sounds which resemble other sounds, if only in timbre then anything. I listen to a fair bit of drone music and industrial, and, living near factories, I often wonder where that incredible shredding grind is coming from- its just old Jim shutting his door, but the mans a freakin genius. :D

Good thread :)

I know a guy (distantly) who is full-flown syneasthetic. He sings in the university chorus and my roommate says he's never been off key because he sees the notes as a color and it's easy for him to just match the colors. Weird.

I thought about that, seeing colors and such is something I've heard of the majority of musical savants. It's much the same thing, only their associations were formed at a much younger stage of development, and I've done it in an artificial way as an adult. Admittedly what I have isn't as straightforward (nor as dramatic perhaps) as would someone born as a savant experience, but both are indicative of connections in the brain relating to the senses that otherwise wouldn't exist if not for an underlying condition leading to a vastly different perception of the world, or as Nibiru said, through proactive conditioning, be it aided and accelerated with drug use or solely through introspective, meditative means.

Very interesting post, Ayrios.

I have done some unmistakable rewiring myself. Music was the first thing that was noticeably altered, and that change in perception was almost immediate. Before I tried psychedelics, I had barely begun to develop personal music preferences ... needless to say, I was never particularly gifted in playing musical instruments. Through the use of psychedelics, I gained an appreciation for music that was simply nonexistent before. I almost completely abandoned the radio in favor of much more rich and interesting collection.

What I notice these days, however, is that I have become more attuned to beauty, particularly in nature. I'm more sensitive to organic patterns. Veins on a leaf never quite captivated my attention like they do now. That's just one example of many ...

My little brother, who is really good at math, associates every digit with a number automatically. Really weird, I even tested it on him randomly and he never mixed them up!

one of my goals with LSD usage is to induce permanent synasthesia. It's happened to me one time (sound --> colour) and i was blown away. helped me perceive musice in a whole new way.

as for what you're saying, being able to not only get a deeper appreciation for music through the use of psychadelics, but also a literal deeper understanding of the foundations of how music is arranged and composed, i've definitely encountered this through the use of LSD (haven't tried 2CE yet, got a few months to go).

when under the influence of LSD, i can slow parts of music down, draw connections between harmonizing sounds easier, and generally break down tracks into seperate layers. there also becomes a much more distinct focus on what i call "spatial" arrangement of sound, rather than typical arrangement of sound over time. this arrangement in space revolves around a (likely hallucinated) surround-sound effect put on music. it's a glorious thing. listening to music with massive amounts of layers (like breakcore or many postrock tracks, for instance) while using LSD is pretty much heaven on earth for me. :)

i too often indulge in psychadelics and simply lay down and listen to music for hours on end. i have a few trips planned for the chicago botanic gardens this summer that involve hours and hours of breakcore and post-rock playlists and just sitting around watching the world melt rhythmically.

My little brother, who is really good at math, associates every digit with a number automatically. Really weird, I even tested it on him randomly and he never mixed them up!

You mean every digit with a color, right?

'Cause every digit *is* a number.

what is the most synesthetic drug?

out of the stuff ive tried (2cb 2ci lsd dmt salvia nirous and light doses of pharmahuasca and bufotenin) 2ce gives me the most synesthesia (maybe, maybe salvia but im talking about longer lasting drugs)

are there any others out there that produce a more heavily synesthetic expereince?

seeing the colors of the sounds i feel

^ I have found LSD to be the most synaesthesia-producing substance I have tried. 2C-E I would rate as the close second, but TBH my experience with that substance is still quite limited. I wouldn't be surprised if my opinion changed in my future endeavors.

^I definitely agree. LSD far surpasses pretty much every other psychedelic in terms of ability to induce synaesthesia; that's why its so fucken awesome at concerts. :D

ahhh the appreciation for music, its so wonderfully beautiful. music feeds my soul love and compassion and peace, true inner peace, a contenment better than utter euphoria.

music has changed my life... i have always held music close to my heart since i was young, feeling as tho there was always a higher purpose for me to pursue. i became an avid music lover like i know alot of you are, i mean who doesnt love music??

I first tried AMT, and i actually had to turn the music off bc it felt like an annoyance... wow... was i ever shocked... AMT blew me away the next time. this was not synasthesia of hearing and sight, but of my ears and my soul. every pick of the string from roger waters electric guitar(which he was playing at the concert, i do know he is the bassist...) sent explosions of energies thru my veins, and i fell humbly to my knees b4 the God of Music. i was redeemed from ever listening to music the way my human ears used to. this was a revelation, i broke free the chains and opened the doors to the gates of Heaven itself. I did not believe true love for an unconcrete sensory was possible, i was very wrong.

week after floyd when we were still deeply affected by the new doors we opened in our lives, we partook in 2ce watching pompeii. we became the music and once again we were held captive by the empowering love that amt brought, only this time 2ce induced great visions, i felt as though as i stood in the eery stadium and felt the instruments in my hands. i was a creative god, masterpieces flowed like rivers from my fingertips and every stroke sent liquid ecstasy up thru my arms and encompassed my whole temple.

this somewhat-combo has changed my life forever, music will never be the same, it is as if it is engraved in my soul, a part of my being, air to my lungs

I had my first synaesthesia experience on Ketamine,(I ate a shit load of crystals chucked up and then it was fucking awesome)- the colours were really intense, then my second was on these xtc tabs a mate gave me, that was fucken nuts I kinda passed out n my mate was like hey man you ok, opened my eyes and I was in a sea of colour, with a huge purple liquid wall in front of me,with bubbles running up it- third was on DOB, wrong setting not as intense...I wish I could get real acid....time for chemistry degree lol

Last edited:
ahhh the appreciation for music, its so wonderfully beautiful. music feeds my soul love and compassion and peace, true inner peace, a contenment better than utter euphoria.

music has changed my life... i have always held music close to my heart since i was young, feeling as tho there was always a higher purpose for me to pursue. i became an avid music lover like i know alot of you are, i mean who doesnt love music??

I first tried AMT, and i actually had to turn the music off bc it felt like an annoyance... wow... was i ever shocked... AMT blew me away the next time. this was not synasthesia of hearing and sight, but of my ears and my soul. every pick of the string from roger waters electric guitar(which he was playing at the concert, i do know he is the bassist...) sent explosions of energies thru my veins, and i fell humbly to my knees b4 the God of Music. i was redeemed from ever listening to music the way my human ears used to. this was a revelation, i broke free the chains and opened the doors to the gates of Heaven itself. I did not believe true love for an unconcrete sensory was possible, i was very wrong.

week after floyd when we were still deeply affected by the new doors we opened in our lives, we partook in 2ce watching pompeii. we became the music and once again we were held captive by the empowering love that amt brought, only this time 2ce induced great visions, i felt as though as i stood in the eery stadium and felt the instruments in my hands. i was a creative god, masterpieces flowed like rivers from my fingertips and every stroke sent liquid ecstasy up thru my arms and encompassed my whole temple.

this somewhat-combo has changed my life forever, music will never be the same, it is as if it is engraved in my soul, a part of my being, air to my lungs

This was a great post. I can relate so much. So much.

For me personally, this same phenomenon happened when I turned on a Grateful Dead tape while on about 4 strong doses of LSD. Music has never been the same since. My understanding of music before that was so simplistic and ridiculous, conditioned by a lifetime of radio-music crap. I had no idea just how limitless, ethereal, and transcendental music could actually be. :)

^ LSD has certainly induced the most intense synaesthetic experiences in me, but 2C-E definitely seems to be every bit as powerful in that aspect. I haven't tried 2C-B yet, but I have experienced synaesthesia on 2C-I to an extent. It seemed to be much less complete in that aspect, as there was much more visual noise going on at the same time. With LSD, I've experienced what I call pure (visual) synaesthesia, in that all visuals I see are synchronized with the sound (music) I hear.

In a way, I think synaesthesia is permanent, in that once you've seen what music looks like, you will never forget.

Synesthesia and LSD(+Questions)?

So I've heard that LSD can cause synesthesia, but I've never actually read about any experiences where it actually happened. I'm very intrigued by the idea of synesthesia, and would be delighted to experience it. Is it a common occurrence?

Also, I'm preparing for my first trip and just wondered a few things.

First off, let it be known that I do feel ready for this, but that doesn't stop me from being scared.

I got some mixed answers on things that I'm really hoping to clear up here.

Does marijuana make you trip harder or help take any anxiety away? Does it make the come up better? Prevent nausea? Is nausea even a common issue?

I feel like my biggest risk for a bad trip is when it first kicks in. If I start getting afraid of the oncoming affects(I feel like melting walls might freak me out a little at first =S), what's the best way to calm myself?(I don't have xanax or anything) Also, is it one of those things where you're fine one moment and then it hits you like a truck, or does it gradually build to a peak?

What about mirrors? I want to look at myself with altered perception, but I've heard people see like, flesh melting off their faces. If I look in a mirror, is that potential for a bad trip?

I'm sure I sound like a major newbie with all these questions, but I always feel better about trying a drug for a the first time when I'm fully prepared. I hope all this is allowed. =S

You just have to be ready to embrace the effects that are coming. You have to be ready to be awed by the power that is in that little dose and know that it will go away after a while. You are just scared of the unknown and that is normal but if you are in a safe environment with things to do(music is best) you should be alright. Don't just sit there thinking about how long its going to last just go with it and it will take you on a ride of your life time. Smoking pot helps calm if you start getting anxious and don't worry you can't get to high. Oh, and have fun with it! If you face starts melting just know that in a few hours it will be all back together and you wont find any leftover on the floor after your trip is done!