• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Natural Psychotropics and Ethnobotanics Thread

Does anyone have experience with guayusa tea? I received a sample of it recently and I'm interested in its purported stimulant and dream recalling abilities. However I can't find a dose recommendation anywhere that makes me feel confident about it. I have a small amount of finely powdered material. Any suggestions?

Does anyone have experience with guayusa tea? I received a sample of it recently and I'm interested in its purported stimulant and dream recalling abilities. However I can't find a dose recommendation anywhere that makes me feel confident about it. I have a small amount of finely powdered material. Any suggestions?

wow, a short dive into a few google search yields seem to say some pretty interesting things about it.. got me lookin now as i've never heard of it.. very high in caffeine content of 1.5-2.0% (highest in the world maybe?) so i'd for sure proceed with low amounts based on those percent's if yr sensitive to that..

haven't seen much else talk of the other properties of the plant (called "night watchman" because of it's ability to keep ecuadorian people up all night.. ah, saw some other things about it's use as an additive in ayahuasca brews? rapid lucid dreaming properties.. etc etc) seems that most of these uses & facts come from stories and studies of indigenous use, but it does seem that some groups of people take part in drinking it every morning.. so that might add some ease of worrying about it.. i guess it's hard to play round with it since you only got a sample..

but i'm pretty interested in it now.. been trying to find some stimulating alternatives to that darn plant we call kratom, seems to be regarded as sacred by me now haha, but i've made some definite progress of droppin a few grams off my daily staple.. anyway, if you do use it, post up some results!

Great, I will! My wife and I are very interested in it right now... we were just talking about it and I came here real quick, hoping for some sort of story of personal experience. The Google searches were got us really interested too. :) I think I will proceed with maybe a teaspoon.

Ah, kratom... great stuff. My daily staple is definitely pretty large.

Yes Xorkoth, I've had guayusa tea. Just another caffeine containing tea but stronger than say black or green tea. I can't say much else for it though as far as dream recalling or enhancing. I'm not thinking there is much here besides a stimulating tea that is tastier and stronger than regular Lipton. But if anything of that nature does occur after trying it then please post away. I'm all ears.

Ilex vomitoria has been used by native americans in the coastal carolinas as a hallucinogen in purification rituals. But they are drinking intentionally high (over dose almost) levels of caffeine in order to puke and have access to a visionary state.

PsychoShaman said:
]I'm wanting to try it but I have an off hand feeling that it will be a let down. What do you think about it?

I've had some skull cap tea. The recommended dose is 2g in tea, 3 times a day. I tried 6g of mostly flower and leaves. It seemed to cause an effect, synergising with weed, but it could have been placebo. I think it works best if you are actually anxious, rather than being full on narcotic.

Seems like you guys are experienced kratom-eaters. I've had a really great experience once, got the "opiate" like stone. The other times I have done it, I have been stimulated in a weird way. It actually felt more "synthetic" then when I come up on speed. If I up the dose then I should be getting less stimulating effects though correct? Also when I did get stimulated I ended up with a strange feeling headache on the come down.

Last edited:
Alright, well I tried 1.5 teaspoons of the powder in a tea (I was given 3 teaspoons as a sample.. my wife had 1 teaspoon). We were both very tired from having kratom twice in the day and sleeping relatively little the night before and having emerald dragon (marijuana-infused alcohol). So there were some conflicting factors. I am usually able to summon energy no matter how tired I am, but my wife usually cannot... generally, once she hass partied herself out, she's out, and even very strong, french-press coffee will not wake her up.

Anyway, we tried the tea... the guayusa came as an extremely fine powder, rather than crushed leaf or something, so it was necessary to drink some of the powder, although I let as much settle to the bottom as possible (one source said it could be toxic if you drink the leaves, possibly because of all the caffeine? You are supposed to be able to make tea for days in a row from the same leaves). I poured almost-boiling water over it in a mug. The tea tasted quite nice, earthy with a unique aftertaste. I definitely liked it... very pleasant. After a few minutes, we started to feel nice and awake. It felt a lot like having had a good amount of sleep and being nice and fresh, at first. Then it got stronger and I found myself moving/dancing around a lot (I tend to do this when I feel good). I achieved a bit of euphoria and talkativeness. Like kratom, it was very calming while being simultaneously stimulating. There was no hint of jitters like with coffee or many other forms of pure caffeine. Both of us remakred that the state felt very healthy, like we had been given nutrients that helped us function despite our fatigued and underslept state.

After a while, we decided to drive down the street to get some fried chicken for dinner. I was high and stimulated, but there was no alcohol left whatsoever at this point (many hours later). I can see how this stuff may have been able to achieve a visionary state after a high enough dose. I found myself having a bit of that feeling of being overwhelmed, where you suddenly can't help but bug your eyes out a little and blink to be able to refocus your vision (don't know if anyone knows what I'm talking about). I usually just associate that with being on a psychedelic and getting hit by a wave of increasing strength. While driving, my peripheral vision was playing tricks on me - I kept thinking mailboxes and things were people until I looked straight at them. Overall my mood was very jovial and I felt quite nice. I do not know what parts of this were interactions with the marijuana and kratom, but before drinking the tea I was feeling pretty much partied out.

I have to mention that after I ate the chicken and biscuits (which were extremely tasty - Bojangles anyone?), I started to feel really strange in the stomach, semi-nauseous and uncomfortable. I ate a lot but not a HUGE amount, not more than I would any other time I was hungry. After about an hour, I was feeling even worse and it was making it impossible to really do anything but try not to feel really shitty. So eventually I made myself throw up to get everything out of my stomach. After that, I felt quite a bit better, although I was spent... we pretty much just went to bed after that and I passed out instantly. I felt totally fine the next day. It may have been due to the food, but it may also have had something to do with the leaf powder in my stomach. I did have the last half teaspoon the next day, and no such problems surfaced, but it was also about 3 times less of a dose, so who knows?

I do know that I'm ordering more to try as a morning coffee substitute for a while, and I will see if the vendor has any leaf, rather than fine powder, so I can use it as the native people did. I'm very curious about its long-term health effects, as it, like yerba mate (a cousin), is full of nutrients as has many, many beneficial health effects attached to it by the people who traditionally use it. And rather than damaging the stomach, it's good for the stomach, and won't give you kidney stones.

So overall, I liked it, and I'd like to experiment more.

PsyGhost - Having a bit too much kratom can cause discomfort... maybe that's what happened. It can be hard to find your right dose. But maybe you'd be better off without it because like opiates it's very addictive to many people. Despite loving kratom, I wish I'd never found it all those years ago because now I withdraw if I don't have it, and spend loads of money on it because it's not cheap.

I have to mention that after I ate the chicken and biscuits (which were extremely tasty - Bojangles anyone?)

bojaaaaaaaaaaaaaangles!!!!

PsyGhost - Having a bit too much kratom can cause discomfort... maybe that's what happened. It can be hard to find your right dose. But maybe you'd be better off without it because like opiates it's very addictive to many people. Despite loving kratom, I wish I'd never found it all those years ago because now I withdraw if I don't have it, and spend loads of money on it because it's not cheap.

Well, I havnt done it recently since its always hit or miss, which wouldnt be so bad if it wasnt expensive like you said.

So with my latest shipment of kratom, I also ordered some Ilex guayusa. I'm going to start using it in the mornings instead of coffee and see how I feel. So far since I have had it twice (last week and yesterday), I have had two vivid and nice dreams (one was last night and the other was a few nights ago). I've been waking up a bit before it's actually time to wake up, which I love doing. Usually I fall into a deep sleep without remembrance of dreams, and wake up to my alarm suddenly and have to get up... disorienting and annoying. I prefer waking up an hour or so before my alarm and gently falling back to sleep... it feels so restful and that's usually when I have good dreams.

Yesterday was the first try with this batch, and I decided to make tea with my french press to avoid the leaf powder. Plus, I've read that it's so saturated with caffeine that the same leaf can be re-used multiple times. The tea is very tasty, earthy and a bit nutty, and it provides a smooth, relaxing stimulation. It reminds me of mate a lot (no surprise - they're closely related), but with an extra edge and overall just definitely better and stronger.

I'll report back more if I notice any developments. Like mate, it's loaded with nutrients. If you do a google search, you can find a decent amount of information on its traditional uses. it sounds promising.

I received a sample of "Bala tea", which seems to be Sida cordifolia. Anyone have any experiences? Looks like it contains ephedrine and was used in ayurvedic medicine for a variety of purposes.

Specifically, does anyone know how much should be used? I received a little bag full of stems and leaf bits. I can't seem to find out how much to use anywhere.

dude

ephedrine is some righteous crap

I advise you just stay away from it

racing heart, anxiety, sweating

its really shitty drug :\

but sorry I can't help with dosage any I've only ever taken pure ephedrine

^

it can be sorta fun, if you like the body feelings from psychostims...I personally enjoy the rapid heart beat and twitchy, amped up muscle feeling, you dont get the mental euphoria and such like with meth, but you get some of the physical feelings, which, to me, are also enjoyable.

60mg should be good for that.

ephedrine is some righteous crap

I advise you just stay away from it

racing heart, anxiety, sweating

its really shitty drug :\

Agreed. The feeling of looking in your rear view mirror and seeing flashin red lights for a full 8 hours. High anxiety I call it.

I received a sample of "Bala tea", which seems to be Sida cordifolia. Anyone have any experiences? Looks like it contains ephedrine and was used in ayurvedic medicine for a variety of purposes.

Specifically, does anyone know how much should be used? I received a little bag full of stems and leaf bits. I can't seem to find out how much to use anywhere.

Sida cordifolia I can't tell you much exactly, but of Sida acuta and Sida rhombifolia, I have some information.

Yellow flowering plant of the Malvaceae of Central and South America. Used by the Cuna Indians of Darién Province, Panama, where it is called kwala and is considered a mystical medicine. A tea made from the leaves is consumed in Bangladesh to help induce sleep. Among the Maya on the Mexican Gulf Coast it is known as chichibeh ("the little one on the path") it is smoked as a marijuana substitute.

Both Sida species contain ephedrine. When drying they have the distinct aroma of coumarin. The leaves are said to contain saponins. Studies of Caribbean and Philippine specimens of Sida acuta have found asparagine and ephedrine in the roots. The alkaloids choline, pseudoephedrine, B-phenethylamine, vasicine, vascicine, vasinole, and vasicinone have been found in all parts of Sida rhombifolia. The stem contains indole alkaloids hipaphorine, hipaphorine methylester, and cryptolenine. The leaves contain traces of an essential oil. The seeds contain sesquiterpenes.

Source The Encyclopedia of Psychoactive Plants, Christian Ratsch

I used to love ephedrine... back when I was 19 and 20 I would take Yellowjackets, 300mg of caffeine plus 25mg of ephedrine each. I loved two of them... I'd feel so awesome. Or with pure ephedrine, I used to take up to 100mg at once. These days I don't though. It's probably due to overuse or just getting older, but now it's really rough on me. But I do enjoy on occasion low doses of the plant ephedra, which I also received in a rather large amount as a sample with another kratom order.

I had some latvian amanitas which worked well when smoked, but were worthless when eaten.

Ayahuasca is the best plant entheogen I have tried.

Anyone know whether Lophophora decipiens contains mescaline or other interesting alkaloids? I've received some seeds as a gift.

^The only Lophophora decipiens I know of is Lophophora williamsii v. decipiens. Don't know if thats what you have or not, but what I listed is mescalinergic :)

@Xortoth> Sida cordifolia is an amazing plant. I buy leaves to there are very few stems, etc, so keep that in mind dose wise. I start with about 1g brewed slowly over low heat to test the potency of each batch; and it can vary quite a bit. Average dose is about 2.5-4 g slow brewed and mixed with a bit of honey. Dont chug it, enjoy it over a period of at least an hour. Its far more benevolent than E.sinics, but keep the dose within reason. Synergyses brilliantly with cannibis;)