• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☛ Official ☚ The Big & Dandy Mescaline Extraction thread

Yeah, I like to think that if one follows the procedure, you shouldn't get too much. Xylene is practically insoluble in water, so rinse the ice good and proper, and practise good technique, you can minimise this. Of course, breathing is also ingestion, another reason to ensure ventilation. Also, not hugely relevant to mescaline, but while we're on the subject- n-hexane is really quite toxic, unusually toxic for an unbranched aliphatic alkane. Naphtha is not ideal, source heptane if you can.

Question:

In the first step where NaOH is added to water, many TEk's mention the water/jug heating up.

I just began my first A/B san pedro extraction and did not notice the water heating up in any way no matter how much aqueaus NaOH i added.

question 2:

How important is 'rolling' the jug after the xylene is added to ensure the xylene touching the cactus/base water as much as possible?
The better you mix your jug around = better yield?

Thanks fella's

It's when solid NaOH is dissolved in water that heat is generated. Aqueous NaOH is already in solution, so adding it to water is effectively just diluting it, so no, you won't observe any temperature change.

Yes, you should mix your two layers together well. If you're doing A/B, though, won't you be separating the cactus from the mixture before you add xylene? Or are you doing the STB followed by salting out the mescaline (the "backwards A/B", I think of it as) like I describe above? In any case, yeah, you need to mix it up thoroughly. Some people struggle with emulsions, or with the mixture not separating, I have found that heat, base and time will solve almost every problem with regards to these concerns.

Hey gang, so i had a question for a for you guys.
I was just wondering if anyone a bit more experienced with cactus than myself could tell me if the following notes i have written down before any attempts are taken are correct.

1. 454 Grams of Cactus.
2. Placed into 3L of Water with 250ML of 10% acetic acid. Gently boiling.
3. Filtered. Squeezed. Cactus set aside.
4. Green Acidic Tea is then reduced down to 1 L.
5. Divided into two glass jars. 500ML each.
6. Each jar is then met with some Lye until totally baseified.
7. Once chemical reaction occurs and finishes, while still warm, add 150Ml of Xylene to each jar.
8. Shake. Allow layers to seperate. Shake again. Do this every 15 minutes for 4 hours.
9. Extract Xylene Layer.
10. take 150 ML of water with 8-10 drops of Muriatic acid added. add it to the 300ML of xylene.
11. Shake and freeze.
12. pour off xylene.
13. dry out the water which should contain the mescaline crystals.

^Seems dandy, except I'd use more of a more dilute HCl solution (do you wash up with just a dash of Fairy, or whole bowl of suds?). and I'd rinse the frozen Mesc.HCl/water ice a couple times with ice-cold water to get rid of as much xylene as poss. In principle, though, yeah, you've got it, just refine whatever method you find works best for you.

Hey, so when you are salting the mescal, out of the Toluene.
how long should you let it sit.
Also, is anyone aware of how many grams of mescaline can fit into 250ml of acidified with HCL water?
also i have acidified the water with about 22 drops from an eye dropper.

Last edited:
Here's something I would love to know.
Has anyone ever done an A/B extraction on the cactus remains of an IPA extraction to determine the yield of IPA extractions?
IMO, the only thing from keeping IPA extractions from being the best thing in the history of extractions is 1. Time 2. Unknown yield

If you leave a cactus in a pot of cold water for a long enough amount of time, will the mescaline seep into the water?

Deleted as this method was very dangerous as it produces tert-Butyl chloride wich might end up in the final product.

Last edited:
No one? Any help would really be appreciated :)

Also I was thinking which salt would be the best in terms of storage. I tried to find some information on how stable citrate saltes are but couldn't find any good ones. HCl salts should be very stable. Is the same true for H2SO4?

Thanks!

Last edited:
well I personally would apply heat to the acidic extract, because it usually makes extraction more efficient and it won't harm the mescaline, but you seem know at least some things about chemistry, so maybe you got a reason not to cook it?

ad the protons/citric acid thing: if your solution is acidic enough, most all amines will be protonated, so it doesn't really matter if every molecule of citric acid is completely deprotonated (which won't be the case anyway, since pKa rises for every next proton, because it is harder to deprotonate an anion). this all about equlibria of concentrations, it's not really like a certain acid molecule is protonating a certain base, so if pH is high enough, amines will get protonated.

I'd personally use acetic acid or hydrochloric acid anyway, but I guess sulfuric acid would also be fine for extraction. regarding the optimal acid for the final salting, I am not sure, but I think that I have read about both hydrochloric and acetic acid giving good, crystalline mescaline salts.

well I personally would apply heat to the acidic extract, because it usually makes extraction more efficient and it won't harm the mescaline, but you seem know at least some things about chemistry, so maybe you got a reason not to cook it?

Thanks for your answer! Sorry, I was sloppy with the description. This is a standard acid extract where you heat up the material. As you mention, mescaline is pretty stable and as long as you have water present you will not go much above 100 °C.

ad the protons/citric acid thing: if your solution is acidic enough, most all amines will be protonated, so it doesn't really matter if every molecule of citric acid is completely deprotonated (which won't be the case anyway, since pKa rises for every next proton, because it is harder to deprotonate an anion). this all about equlibria of concentrations, it's not really like a certain acid molecule is protonating a certain base, so if pH is high enough, amines will get protonated.

I'd personally use acetic acid or hydrochloric acid anyway, but I guess sulfuric acid would also be fine for extraction. regarding the optimal acid for the final salting, I am not sure, but I think that I have read about both hydrochloric and acetic acid giving good, crystalline mescaline salts.

For extraction I would recommend citric acid as it does not evaporate like HCl or acetic acid. For the final salting I was thinking of using HCl in IPA but according to this (http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=29059) thread this is a really bad idea. I guess I either add citric acid to IPA and then dry over over MgSO4 or just add glacial acetic acid to the MTBE form the crystals. If this does not work I can still remove the MTBE and then the crystals should form.

Please not that the extraction above was stupid and dangerous as it produces tert-Butyl chloride. My apologies for posting this here.