• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Ego Death Thread

The Buddha describes five categories of experience: Form, Feeling, Perception, Mental Formations, and Consciousness. These are called the Five Aggregates. We have the tendency to cling to these and identify with them. For example if a pleasant or unpleasant feeling arises it is common to believe "this feeling is me, this feeling is mine, this feeling is myself." This is called wrong view, and is, along with desire, the root of our suffering. There are three characteristics which define all phenomena. All things are unsatisfactory, or in other words nothing can permanently satisfy us. All things are unsatisfactory because all things are impermanent. Everything changes, each of the Five Aggregates is in a constant state of flux, arising and ceasing, arising and ceasing. Thus, because everything is unsatisfying and impermanent there is nothing suitable to call me, mine, or myself.

Another way to think about it like this. Imagine a tree. Remove the branches, are these branches the tree? No. Remove the leaves, are these leaves the tree? No. Remove the bark, is this bark the tree? No. Remove the roots, are these roots the tree? No. Now you have nothing, so where is the tree? You can do the same to a person, removing the various parts of the body...Am I a liver? No. Am I a spleen? No...Then onto the mind...Am I a thought? No. Am I a feeling? No. Eventually it becomes clear the "I" is just an empty label used to describe an indefinable bundle of phenomena, none of which actually belongs to anyone. If I say "point to yourself" where are you going to point?

Of course this is just a shallow, intellectual understanding of non-self. It is my opinion that the "ego-death" experience is a momentary recognition of something that is always present. Just like how when the mud settles in a pond the bottom becomes clear, I believe that ego death occurs when the mind settles and for that brief moment the self view drops and we are able to seeing things clearly, as they are. The problem with the psychedelic experience, however, is that its impermanent and that more often than not we are not entirely sure what is actually going on. Hence one can turn the experience of non-self into its opposite, a sort of megalomania. Instead of realizing that nothing is self, one may believe everything is self, thinking something along the lines of 'I am everything and everything is me.'

Anyway, just some thoughts. If you are interested in this I recommend looking into the Buddha's teachings on anatta, or non-self. For a wise psychedelic user, the Buddha's teachings are the end of the rabbit role. The problem is that there is a lot of misinterpretation and misrepresentation out there. I recommend the original teachings of the Buddha, i.e the Four Noble Truths, Dependant Origination, etc. These can be found on the website Access to Insight, which is a transcription of the original texts. I also recommend the Buddha's description of the meditative stages, which he calls Jhanas. It's basically an ascension from the coarse states of mind to the most refined. These are not to be confused with Enlightenment, which is something else entirely.

Form Jhanas

1st - Quite secluded from sense pleasures, secluded from unwholesome states of mind, he enters and dwells in the first jhana, which is accompanied by applied thought and sustained thought with rapture and happiness born of seclusion.

2nd - With the subsiding of applied thought and sustained thought he enters and dwells in the second jhana, which has internal confidence and unification of mind, is without applied thought and sustained thought, and is filled with rapture and happiness born of concentration (M.i,181; Vbh. 245)

3rd - With the fading away of rapture, he dwells in equanimity, mindful and discerning; and he experiences in his own person that happiness of which the noble ones say: 'Happily lives he who is equanimous and mindful'

4th - With the abandoning of pleasure and pain, and with the previous disappearance of joy and grief, he enters and dwells in the fourth jhana, which has neither-pain-nor-pleasure and has purity of mindfulness due to equanimity.

Formless Jhanas

5th - The base of infinite space

6th - The base of infinite consciousness

7th - The base of infinite nothingness

8th - The base of neither perception nor non-perception

Last edited:
This might be slightly off topic, but I really like the Hindi greeting "namaste", these are the interpretations from wikipedia:

* "I honor the Spirit in you which is also in me."

* "I honor the place in you in which the entire Universe dwells, I honor the place in you which is of Love, of Integrity, of Wisdom and of Peace. When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are One."

* "That which is of God in me greets that which is of God in you."

* "The Divinity within me perceives and adores the Divinity within you."

Much classier than "hello" ;)

I wonder how they greet an untouchable tho -

* "Go and clean the shit off my toilet you worthless disgusting sack of piss"

* "I had a curry last night, there's a rake of shit splattered all over the porcelain for you".

^ HAHA, Ismene, you're such a card, always with the perfect retort to make anyone and everyone feel like guilty a douche bag for saying whatever, so much fun to be around!

Sorry Dwayne, I'll try and behave :)

It's just that whenever I hear anyone waxing poetic about the hindus the untouchables always spring to my mind..

I'm pretty sure I experienced ego death two months ago. Still "recovering" from that experience. I was terribly confused and had no clue what happened to me, so it was a huge relief reading about it on the internet.

I'm pretty sure I experienced ego death two months ago. Still "recovering" from that experience. I was terribly confused and had no clue what happened to me, so it was a huge relief reading about it on the internet.

what do you mean by "recovering"? i mean what are the symptoms of recovery

^ It seems the poster had an experience that was truly horrific possibly and has taken awhile to come to terms with the magnitude of the experience itself. Ego loss itself is amazing when you realize what just happened and when you come out from it. This happened to me on my 3rd acid trip.

"turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream, it is not dying" - john lennon

becoming one with the universe and letting go of one's self.

i ate too much lsd from switzerland....my friend kept yelling at me to just let go already....it would be much more comfortable than having my reality that i view from my human condition being ripped away by a not always so nice chemical...i was re-born. I love the comeback when everything clicks together and you get to see the light. its intense.....scary the first few times if you don't have a clue. dmt is especially fun now :)

Planning to experience ego death soon

February 20 is a special day,me and my friends are going to be alone all day.We will go on a trip to the mountain,roast some meat etc,as it is a tradition here in Greece.
Since i'm gonna be away all day,i was thinking of reaching ego death.I've got 100mg DMT,and will soon have 1 twin blotter and 1 alex grey hoffman,and i also got 1 bicycle hoffman.All of them are around 400ug.So,i think that combining friends,the awesome forest setting,400ug of lsd and a large dose of smoked yellow dmt could do the trick.What do you think about the setting?Do you think i'm gonna achieve complete ego death?
Notice that the largest trip i've ever had was at ~200ug and it was quite good,the psychedelia was heavy and the visuals were stunning.
In the summer i smoked dmt at the plateau of an lsd trip,low doses both and i was quite shattered,so i thought that significantly increasing the doses would divide,or even destroy my ego.
Waiting for your words:)

I have never heard of someone "planning" for an ego-death. It either happens, or it doesn't.
Maybe some preliminary reading or meditation/yoga could make you more open to the experience, but 100% certainty ? Doubtful, IMO.

That being said I think you'll have a wonderful experience with those compounds and that setting.

As Benjamin Linus said in LOST about Jacob, who I see as an embodiment of the Guru (someone who points the way to the Truth, and Egodeath is definetly a step on the way, IMO):

"This is not a man you go and see. This is a man who summons you."

Yea I'm not sure it's something that can be planned.
Ego dissolution can occur on dmt alone, I think with acid it may help, but then again I've smoked dmt tons and never lost sense of who I was, even in hyperspace

guys you misunderstood me,i didn't mean i am planning on 100% ego death
i just want to increase the chances to achieve it

For many people there is no such thing as ego-death. I've taken psychedelic doses sufficient to stun a charging rhino and always had a totally accurate knowledge of who I was and that I was tripping on psychedelics.

So for me, "ego-death" is just some term Tim Leary made up in the 60s because he needed to make tripping acceptable to the establishment. "I'm taking drugs to achieve ego-death" kinda sounds better than "I'm taking drugs because I enjoy the feeling it gives me" when you're giving evidence to a judge.

Make sure to use efficient vape technique don't burn your spice...100mgs is not a lot of spice, I'd load it all and try to hold in as much smoke as you can before the drug takes over.....don't be afraid to rip the deems hard lol..that third hit takes balls...take it...go for 4 if you can...sometimes a coach instructing your breathing is helpful at this point....just keep telling yourself in your head "iron lungs...iron lungs:) have fun!!!! Maybe we will meet in hyperspace...save me a gyro

Last edited:
Planning for such an experience may prove disastrous, you'll likely end up dosing very high and what will you do if your ego is left in tact but you are so far out that you feel insane?

^^

Then he will run down the middle of the street naked but for one sock.

In my experience, trying to plan or force an ego dissolution is futile. The more someone desires to detach from their ego, the trickier it is to do it, as focus and intent is going onto the ego, holding it intact.
I have had better results with ego dissolution from low doses and strange combos, and my only advice is for you to try not to think about the ego, or detaching from it. Try to flow with each moment as it comes and I am sure you will experience it soon enough. :)

With the state of the LSD market being what it is, I'm not sure if wolfing down a combination of different, previously untested blotters is a great idea. You may very well end up being powered by a drug cocktail, the ingredients of which you can only guess at, and while such a wild ride may facilitate the ego death nicely, it may also make for a paranoia-laden, white-knuckle time. If you're going to launch yourself into the stratosphere, best to do it in a spaceship you can trust. Get more of those blotters, and have some one-on-one introductory sessions before going for the Big Bang :)

"Ego death" is a really bad phrase and concept in my view. Makes it sound like some sort of traumatic psychological ordeal that you have to go through. "Change of perspective" is really what it's about.