• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines The Big & Dandy Bufotenine (5-HO-DMT) Thread - The Truth is Out There

^^
minimal and dissapointing effects as described above are all that can be expected from this extraction

SWIM tried and found the resulting product to be so weak and unsmokeable that it was chalked up to a waste of money.

bluedolphin said:
^^
minimal and dissapointing effects as described above are all that can be expected from this extraction

SWIM tried and found the resulting product to be so weak and unsmokeable that it was chalked up to a waste of money.

First to be clear, are you talking about RedBaron's extraction tek, or RebBaron's? The RedBaron tek on erowid is supposed to be junk. RebBaron's tek is good, and should get any bufotenine out of the seeds.

Are you sure the seeds weren't weak or bunk? There have been some non-active seeds misidentified as Anadenantheras being sold by vendors fairly recently.

Oh, yeah, I don't think people have had sucess with that one.

What I'd do (hydpothetically, were I to do such a thing), is use RebBaron's tek to get freebase bufotenine. If the "altered" version of it is desired, this can be obtained by further treatment of the bufotenine with calcium hydroxide (though this step is reported to be inconsistent and finnicky... freebase bufotenine may be more satisfying because of this)

What the hell are you talking about? Have you tried it?

Just because you don't like the effects of a drug doesn't mean it's "hype" or "not worth it".

I find Anadenanthera to be quite a singular visionary substance. Although the physical and mental effects are completely different, the experience calls yaje to mind as a comparison, simply for the profundity of the experience when approached correctly.

Could you elaborate on "simply not worth it"?

I find many people have this negative knee-jerk simply on account of the charlatan Erick Smythe (aka "Anadenanthera"... it bothers me he used that name, because it means that now, when I refer to the seeds by the genus name so as to be inclusive of both species, some people are immediately reminded of his nonsense and thus close their minds to an essentially unrelated subject)

bluedolphin said:
It's simply not worth it. Don't believe the hype.

Its not hype.
Its well worth it.
It will be even more worth it once we have a perfect tek to follow.

I actually followed Anadenanthera's tek and ended up with garbage.

Yes if you smoke this garbage tarry yellow gunk there are some mild effects.... reminiscent *somewhat* of DMT.

But until somebody comes up with a better tek I consider this experiment dead in the water.

A better tek would be RebBaron's (posted by 69Ron, not to be confused with the RedBaron tek which looks basically like Anadenanthera's and erroneously claims to produce calcium bufotenate). It isolates essentially pure bufotenine freebase, while all the previous methods extract bufotenine adulterated with all sorts of plant fats or other gunk.

The beauty of the tek is the selective precipitation of bufotenine from acetone as the citrate salt. This is a method that I can personally vouch for the efficacy of.

I posted it ealier in this thread, but here it is again:

RebBaron's Yopo Extraction

Here’s what’s needed:

* Acetone: available at most hardware stores. This solvent is actually present in the human body in small amounts. It’s best to use distilled acetone that you distilled yourself if you’re at all worried about contaminants. KleanStrip acetone is pure acetone and 100.0 % volatile according to their MSDS, so there will be no residue left behind after evaporating it. SWIM uses this brand, always distills it, and never finds any left over residue. It seems to be very clean.

* Pickling Lime: available at some grocery stores. It’s used to make pickles crispier. It’s not as poisonous or dangerous as the sodium hydroxide commonly used to extract DMT. Pickling lime is edible but only if greatly diluted.

* Citric acid: available as “sour salt” in some grocery stores. It’s often used in canning. It’s available from many health food or vitamin shops. This is found naturally in fruit.

* Filtering system: coffee filters aren’t that good but will work. For best filtering results it’s better to use a lab filtering system (glass micro-fiber filters, a vacuum pump, and a filtering flask, Buchner funnel, etc.)

Here's the extraction steps:

1) Prepare citric acid solution by adding 1 gram of citric acid to 10 ml of acetone. We’ll use it later so put this aside, go onto step 2, but mix the citric acid solution occasionally. It will eventually all dissolve after about an hour or so.

2) Mix 100 grams of crushed Anadenanthera seeds (either peregrina or colubrina works) with and equal volume of pickling lime (calcium hydroxide) and add enough water to form a paste. Let it sit for about 1 hour, mixing it a few times. Dry it completely in an oven at 150 F.

3) Break apart the dried materal. Add 500 ml of acetone. Mix for about 5 minutes. Let the dry material settle to the bottom. The acetone should be reddish amber in color. Pour the acetone through a good quality filter.

4) Add 10 ml of citric acid solution (from step 1) to the filtered acetone and mix. Tiny crystals will form which look like yellow dust. Let the crystals settle to the bottom. Poor off the acetone, being careful not to pour off the crystals. Discard the acetone. Wash the crystals by adding 100 ml of fresh acetone, mix, let the crystals settle, and then carefully pour off the acetone and discard it (EDIT: you might want to let the acetone evaporate down to about 50 ml before discarding, as more precipitates might form. Keep in mind that a small amount of the alkaloids won’t precipitate out of the acetone. A small portion of this contains the tiny amount of DMT present in the seeds. If you save the acetone, you could extract the last bit of alkaloids using an A/B extraction, but It’s not really worth the trouble). Let all the acetone evaporate off the crystals. They’ll start absorbing water from the air and become dark brown goo once all the acetone has evaporated.

5) Mix the crystal goo with an equal volume of pickling lime. Add enough water to form a thin watery paste. Let it sit for about 1 hour while mixing a few times. Dry in an oven at 150 F.

6) Break apart the dried material. Dissolve in 100 ml acetone for about 5 minutes, mixing a few times. Filter off the pickling time. Evaporate the acetone leaving behind 5-HO-DMT freebase as a single solid mass of amber micro-crystals (and a few other active freebase alkaloids). It looks like amber candy, not crystals. It’s very difficult to form large crystals, so don’t bother. Just scrape it up and store in an air tight container away from light.

You can repeat steps 3-6 with the same seed mix up to 4 more times to recover nearly all the alkaloids if you like, but since the seeds are so cheap, it’s probably not worth the effort.

It's important to use dry acetone; acetone from the hardware store often has a small amount of water in the solution. It can be removed by pouring the acetone over rock salt and swirling for a few minutes; the water is all pulled into the salt. Don't use ordinary tablesalt, as it contains an anticaking agent that you probably don't want to end up smoking.

The tek results in microcrystals, but larger crystals can be grown if you have access to ethyl acetate.

Yopo Snuff

Hey bl

I just finished preparing some Yopo snuff, as in have crushed up the seeds, mixed it with Calcium Hydroxide (edible lime powder), added some water to react the CaOH to make it less caustic by converting it to Calcium Carbonate.

I read on wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yopo that doing this changed the Bufotenin into Ca-5-HO-DMT when it reacts to the CO2 in the air, which is apparently much better than bufotenin and more like traditional DMT.

So I have sorta rolled the moistened snuff into a ball and I've read conflicting things, such as putting the moistened snuff into a pan or letting it dry naturally.

Can the snuff be had now? or does it have to sit for a few hours/days? Is it already changed into Ca-5-HO-DMT or is it still Bufotenin? Any help would be appreciated :D

Excido said:
I read on wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yopo that doing this changed the Bufotenin into Ca-5-HO-DMT when it reacts to the CO2 in the air, which is apparently much better than bufotenin and more like traditional DMT.

That's a crock of horseshit, and was put there by "Adam Smythe"/"Anadenanthera". How recently did you read that? I've editted the page a handful of times to remove that misinformation, but he seems intent on editting it back in. Bufotenine is the good stuff; it's what you want. I wouldn't exactly call it similar to DMT (the visuals and mental effects are both very much different), but it is a good experience.

The solubility trends of bufotenine indicate that Ca(5-O-DMT)2 may form in aqueous solution, but once it dries what you have is bufotenine freebase (or possibly dehydrobufotenine, though it's really too early to speculate about that); whatever it is, there is NO calcium in the molecule.

It might be possible to generate calcium bufotenate using an alternate solvent system, but definintely not using water.

Excido said:
So I have sorta rolled the moistened snuff into a ball and I've read conflicting things, such as putting the moistened snuff into a pan or letting it dry naturally.

Can the snuff be had now? or does it have to sit for a few hours/days? Is it already changed into Ca-5-HO-DMT or is it still Bufotenin? Any help would be appreciated

If you dry it with heat, do it in the oven at 150 degrees fahrenheit so you don't vaporize the active chemical. Letting it dry naturally works fine, but will take longer. Either way, it won't make Ca-5-HO-DMT (a compound which makes absolutely no stoichiometric sense as written).

Once it dries fully so it can be powdered, it's ready to snuff. Yopo snuff is a very intriguing experience, it's one of my favorite entheogens for occasional use.

If you didn't toast the seeds prior to making the snuff, definitely dry it with heat. I believe the reason all the native tribes did/do this is to convert all bufotenine N-oxide to bufotenine (though I'm sure they didn't understand it in these chemical terms). Some seeds have a decent amount of bufotenine N-oxide, which is experientially unpleasant; toasting the seeds converts it to the much more pleasant bufotenine.

Last edited:
With all the talk going on about 5-aco-dmt and 5-propionyl-dmt going around (now that the 5-CaO-dmt thing is dying out...), Is there any reason to believe they may provide a better experience than 5-ho-dmt??

assuming im right and bufo isn't soluble in iso
1. put crushed seeds in hot acidic water
2. filter water, throw gunk away
3. evap water to leave powder
4. add powder to iso alcohol
5. mix then let mixture settle
6. pour off iso
7. mix whats left with edibe lime, 4-1 and bake
would this work? would the iso clean up the powder? basic i know...
any help would be much adored
oh yeh could the water be room temp?

Last edited:

I can't speak for this extraction specifically, but in my experience in making all sorts of medicinal plant extracts, it's important to use anhydrous solvents in extractions because the water grabs a bunch of stuff that the solvent doesn't, which can often be undesirable and annoying to remove from the product if you're going for something like an alkaloidal freebase or a resin or fat.

What does it mean when base is burning OUT too quick?

I've smoked with friends where that's their drug of choice, so naturally they know the whats/whens/hows and whys. I'm that was with the other side (opiates and Bennys) My questions is what are some reasons the rock burns out too quick. I was never one to be able to smoke the whole hit and would pass it. It is also a little on the soft side (learned that along the way with friends...the too soft part) I'm new to this forum so take that into consideration. And feel free to ask me any questions about the other.

Thanks,

T

This should have been a post. not a reply...sorry

Last edited:
smoking vilca

A foaf recently bought a packet of A. colubrina Var. Cebil seeds on a whim after reading Ott's paper on the net. They have since become a bit of an obsession.

After reading the erowid reports he decided to try smoking a single crushed, toasted seed. This was a most unpleasant experience with dizziness and nausea, which produced mild CEVs whilst lying in his darkened room. He will never do that again.

Not to be down hearted he decided to make up some vilca snuff using 20 seeds and the traditional method of toasting, shelling, grinding and mixing with 1/4 pickling lime (not baking soda). A few drops of water were added to the mixture to give it a breadcrumb appearance and the whole lot was wrapped in paper and left for a couple of days. Feeling like a little experiment he got out the snuff with a view to snorting some. Being none to keen on severe pain and vomiting he decided not to snort the snuff but figured what the hell and chucked some in the bong.

He filled the small bowl right to the top with coarsely ground vilca and using a large flame on the lighter he cranked the bong. The vilca took a little getting going but produced a large amount of strong tasting smoke. The smoke was very harsh, probably one of the harshest things he's smoked but was do-able for a seasoned bong user. Upon exhalation he noticed the dizziness and nausea had been replaced with very heavy body load. Thinking "oh bugger, more toxic effects" he went to lie down.

After a minute or so of lying there feeling heavy the mild CEVs started. This time instead of fading away and being overwhelmed by the nausea they slowly became stronger and more vivid. Initially a morphing web of blue and purple on the inside of his eyelids, over the course of about 5 minutes they grew into swirling, morphing, repeating, geometric wall of colour. At what he sensed was the peak of the trip clear but fleeting images of distinct objects lept out from the moving patterns (he remembers very clearly a cartoon kitten pouncing, but there were others). Shortly after the peak he opened his eyes and looked around the bedroom, the morphing web of colour covered every surface. He closed his eyes and watched the patterns dance for a few more minutes until the body load had eased enough for him to stand up and walk out into the kitchen. Walking from his room he was still tripping quite nicely something similar to the tail end of a good mushroom trip. This gently subsided into the positive "yeah!!!!" after buzz one feels from smoked dmt. All in all the trip lasted about 20mins from exhalation with around 30-40 mins of good after buzz.

To get such strong effects was quite a surprise from a natural product with so little processing so about a week later at a party where he and his friends had taken some good mdma pills he offered round the vilca. 6 people accepted. 5 out of 6 all reported a strong but relatively short psychedelic experience similar to that above. All reported the very heavy body load, some with tingling sensations in the digits. 1 (a non smoker of either kind) found the smoke to harsh to get the whole lot in and reported heavy body load with only very mild CEVs.

Excited by the posibilities of extraction my foaf hit the web and found the (now shown to be spurious) extraction tek posted by baron on erowid. He then wasted a whole 10g of seeds attempting this bullshit. What a wanker.

After 2 failed extractions he went back to making a traditional snuff, this time adding a little more water than in the previous recipe, this stuff he rolled into a ball and left to sit for a few days wrapped in paper. the ball turned black and hard as a rock. He had trouble breaking it up so had to grind it in a pestle and mortar. He attempted to smoke some more but the lumps were either too fine and fell through the screen or too large and didn't burn well. Instead of crying over spilt milk he made another batch with the old bread crumb consistency and went back to spreading the vilca message amongst his friends. When he had about a gram of the good breadcrumb snuff left he hit on an idea, why not do a simple acetone extract of the unsmokable batch and soak it onto the smokable stuff...Vilca Changa! This he did and has produced his post pill trip of choice. really excellent stuff. Very harsh to smoke but it burns easier than the straight vilca and you need much less of it so it's more managable to get it into the lungs. It gives you a nice 20min trip with the good after buzz, and the slower build up means its less intense than dmt after mdma.

My friend highly recommends anyone who has some A. colubrina seeds in the back of the draw attempt making some vilca and smoking it rather than snorting. Go easy on the water in the prodcution process to give a golden brown breadcrumb consistency, let sit for the freebasing to take place and blaze away.

The seeds used were of the australian strain which all appear to have come from the same original stock. no potency issues here.

Nice post.
smileynormal.ico