• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Beginner Psychedelic Thread

I wish I could go back to a 17 year old me and tell him to use a different psychedelic for the first time. It's very subjective.

My very first trip was with mushrooms and was by far the most, traumatic, schizoid, experience I have ever had. LSD, Mescaline, 2C-halogens, are what I would recommend. Mushrooms are the deepest deep, and they aren't very smooth in taking one there, the first time isn't the right time for that kind of thing.

Far too subjective, whenever I see mushrooms advocated as the first-timer's psychedelic I cringe a little. LSD is far more clear and forgiving, not so pushy, yet very deep.

Had my first time with LSD this weekend at a 2-day EDM massive. I was nervous as FUCK. I ached for an unforgettable experience, yet feared the worst kind. My anxiety levels were through the roof on the come up. I wasn't sure how I was supposed to feel or when I would begin to feel it. My palms began to sweat and I began to feel heavy. I laid down and stared up into an LED light installation. I watched the colors begin to change and become more vibrant. I could feel myself begin to relax and let it take over. The world around me blurred a bit. I felt peaceful. I was left to my thoughts for about an hour until my friends interrupted, I was at a festival afterall and there were sets that I needed to catch. I decided to candyflip and dosed MDMA about 2 1/2 hours into the trip. My night was incredible.

If I could change anything it would've been to do it in a different location because I found myself wanting to relax and look at all the art installations and lights. Dancing and following a schedule wasn't much interest to me, but I also didn't pay for a ticket to sit on the grass there. I also would've like to have just tripped and not added the MDMA. I had a blast, but I'd like to experience a 100% LSD trip. Overall though, an A+ experience :)

Friend recently asked what would be best to start with...

Normally Id say go for LSD... Now, not so sure. Al-Lad is just as gentle, if not more so, and lasts a bit less too, though doesnt provide the same depth. However, i find myself weary of recommending it after my brief encounter with a hotspot on the laid blotter which tested my limits a bit.

So, reviving a 2 year old thread, whats the best beginner psych for a beginner, now after all these new kids on the block have shown up?

My first trip was in 1972 - an " English brown dot " - [ it looked like a tiny 2mm square of photograph negative , in sellotape ]...
So small and insignificant in appearance - how could it possibly work , I wondered ???

To date , the most profound experience of my life . Spectacular ...

It turned on lights that I had no idea existed .

[ Julie was such a tragedy . ]

Try a genuine blotter of today - it will be a low , safe dose ....

I don't really like recommending one or only a few drugs with little reasoning behind it, better to do a comparative analysis :)

A note of advice before reading my opinion and using it as a guide: intensity is dosage-dependent next to depending on other factors summed up as set and setting. The best we can talk about is tendencies of drug effects, averages. There are always chances that you react unusually favorable or UNfavorable to these drugs so keep that in mind. If you don't carefully build up your dose, then typically all bets are off.

Phenethylamines.

Mescaline: brilliant compound and always worth a try IMO, although I might consider it a little atypical as a psychedelic.

2C-D : very mild and easy unless you take a lot, the dose-response curve is not very representative of what other psychedelics have in store and I would be concerned that people would understimate other psychedelics after 2C-D.

2C-C / 2C-B / 2C-I: good to begin with cause they are gentle but for me they can certainly be beautiful and psychedelic, even entheogenic and dissociative at higher doses!

2C-E: seems to be better for advanced trippers. Can be very deep, serious, complex, rational... potentially a little too heavy. Although when used correctly, perhaps with supervision, it could be considered on par with LSD.

2C-P: way too long lasting, steep dose-response curve... powerful. In many ways meant for experienced trippers afaik.

2C-T-2 / 2C-T-7: absolutely gorgeous, but probably quite complex, rich and unpredictable in several ways for a beginner. Also some potential GI upset. Possible but it's more of a risk.

Other 2C-X: probably too obscure / unusual, not all-round winners with potential to be unrepresentative for a psychedelic. Even if it is a winner like say 2C-EF seems to be, it is probably ideal to start out with a compound that is not too experimental, and has a fair body of human experience to rely on, compare with, research, etc.

NBOMe type drugs: I don't consider them safe or okay even with plenty of experience let alone for a beginner. What an experienced tripper wants to carefully experiment with is his/her business (keeping dosing limits in mind!), but a beginner ought to start with something else. Availability or price shouldn't play too big of a role in choosing a first psychedelic to trip on by the way.

Tryptamines.

Mushrooms: My first times ever were with mushrooms and the second time was an experience similar to what Peppersocks reported a little higher on this very page. I agree completely about the 'deep' part, it is IMO very much like being thrown in the deep end. I would personally NOT recommend mushrooms for a beginner at all. A number of full-on tryptamines are better to ease into after picking up a bit of experience keeping your mind steady.

4-AcO-DMT: I think similar things apply as with mushrooms, for me it seems smoother but at the same time I tend to go at least as deep without even realizing it. Has quality, but must not be underestimated and handled with extra care!

4-AcO / 4-HO-MET: probably preferred over mushrooms and I guess not that bad for a beginner! A lot of people seem to report that it is a lot less soul-rapey, mind-fucking and sinister / emotional rollercoaster. Instead it offers a lot mushrooms have to offer for me, but a lot more positives than negatives, combined with more stability.

4-AcO / 4-HO-MiPT: for a beginner somewhere in between mushrooms and 4-HO-MET in my opinion. It is a pretty strange ride for me, but the difficulty is no more than moderate I'd say.

4-AcO / 4-HO-DiPT: In my experience a more fun, easy and light trip than most other tryptamines mentioned thus far. There seems to be at least as much potential for body weirdness for a number of people, so it needs attention there.

DMT / DPT and similar ones: It is hard for any person to be prepared for psychedelics like these, but I consider them very heavy caliber trips... vaporized DMT doesn't last that long and is mostly a 'flash' so people can get away with it before getting stuck in a messed up place (although incidents happen!), some people report being to stupefied to even react with emotions like fear, if the duration is extended my opinion on mushrooms may apply.
DPT is in my opinion NOT for beginners, it often seems to be very rough and it lasts quite a bit longer than DMT.

5-MeO tryptamines: they tend to have different actions besides the classic action of psychedelics (5-HT2A agonism), like reuptake inhibition of a few monoamines and 5-HT1A agonism. I won't go far into the tendencies these drugs seem to produce like stimulation and slightly atypical entheogenic qualities... but I personally don't consider them very appropriate for a beginner or representative for most other psychedelics for that matter.

LSD: Pretty good for a first time I suppose, but in the average case having less control over precise dosing is a slight drawback. Other than that, it is of course a VERY complete package, an all-round winner. It takes extra care to expose a beginner to this full potential of psychedelia... with milder psychedelics there is a bigger margin to be 'sloppy' and make beginner mistakes as they are easier to control.

LSA-containing seeds like morning glories / hawaiian baby woodrose seeds: They tend to have some side-effects, sometimes heavier than other times... and the psychedelia is in my opinion a bit peculiar and at average doses perhaps a bit limited, but the dreamy state and body high can also be pretty good. There are worse choices for a first psychedelic and these seeds are relatively available for the uninitiated.

Last edited:
Honestly I think everyone should start on shrooms.

Me too, straight in at the deep end. Then LSD a while later.

The body load isn't worth the mild effects on LSA seeds for me, I'd be disappointed if that was my first psychedelic.

My very first trip was with mushrooms and was by far the most, traumatic, schizoid, experience I have ever had. LSD, Mescaline, 2C-halogens, are what I would recommend. Mushrooms are the deepest deep, and they aren't very smooth in taking one there, the first time isn't the right time for that kind of thing.
Your experience echos mine. I also went with shrooms for my first trip, and for me it ended up being 5 hours of pure, massively confusing, unadulterated terror. I may never do shrooms again after that to be honest.

Personally I would suggest something like 4-HO-MET or a lighter 2C-X compound for a first time tripper. Easy on the body, easy on mind, with good friendly vibes all around :)

Even if I have a bad time on mushrooms it's always a learning experience & I feel refreshed after. They feel so good & natural too, especially if I've been out to forage for them myself. My first trip on mushrooms (at 14) was really beautiful, then acid at 16 was amazing too. Your first trips should be with good friends who know what to expect on that substance, that's probably the most important thing. I could've slipped into a bad trip the first few times, without the right friends there to keep the mood euphoric. Mushrooms & LSD are the most widely used psychedelics with the longest history of use, they both provide a spectacular trip with the right set & setting. 2C-x chemicals might be easier to handle, but they're also a bit more obscure (harder to find & find experienced friends to trip with) & might not really take a first timer off on a great trip, it's not as deep & powerful, a mushroom or lsd trip can be unstoppable. Other RCs are even more obscure & shouldn't be attempted by beginners. LSA seeds can produce uncomfortable physical side effects (bad vasoconstriction, nausea, tiredness) for a mild trip at best.

I have a question not sure if I'm using this website right but I'm taking acid for the fourth time tonight and were going to an outdoor party, I don't know many people everyone else will be drinking, however one of my best friends is coming with me and I've never had a bad trip. Every other time I did it it was with smaller groups of people and obviously awesome. Any advice for someone who's still pretty new to this taking it at a party?

I have a question not sure if I'm using this website right but I'm taking acid for the fourth time tonight and were going to an outdoor party, I don't know many people everyone else will be drinking, however one of my best friends is coming with me and I've never had a bad trip. Every other time I did it it was with smaller groups of people and obviously awesome. Any advice for someone who's still pretty new to this taking it at a party?

First of all..Have fun! %). I spent several entire summers in the eighties tripping at outdoor parties. A bit of acid used to add some magic to the relatively normal aspects of these gatherings. Depending how high you are, conversations with others can range from normal chatting to trying to communicate with someone in a different dimension. The nice thing is that you can generally just do the things you would normally do, but with and added layer or two of psychedelia added.

Alcohol consumption can be a bit tricky, a few beers or drinks will help to ease you into things and act as a nice social lubricant. What I personally discovered though, was that I could drink like a fish on acid and feel very little effects from the alcohol, until I came down. Then it would all hit at once in some of the worst frigging hangovers I have ever experienced. So caution is definitely advised on that front. Weed was not a problem for me, I have always found that on acid, it only really serves to take the edge off, and kick in the imagination a bit more, for me it is quite relaxing. You will have to determine your own rules for any additions such as these though, as effects are unique for everyone.

Bonfires and the night sky are particularly fascinating to trance out on in the quieter moments, and sunrise can be an incredibly spiritual experience.

Peace and Love.

San pedro is a legal cactus plant available on the Internet for purchase. I have many growing as they are a beautiful plant considered sacred by many.
Easy preparation instructions are also all over internet, the best I have found is to use a blender add all your chopped up San Pedro with equal amount of water then transfer to a pot on stove and simmer for a couple hours. To finish strain it through panty hose or cheesecloth. Drink and enjoy!

--
Unfortunately shooms are not available easily for some people in certain regions. Does anyone know about Salvia ? Is it worth doing and would u recommend a concentrated form like 20x? I'm new to this so any info would be appreciated.
--
I so wish I had access to shrooms!
--
What exactly are NBOMe type phychodelics? More info please.

Last edited by a moderator:
I merged your posts, if you would like to add something to a previous post of yours, please use the edit button. :)

Check out our Beginners FAQ and Psychedelic Index, (links below in my signature) for all kinds of threads with info you are looking for. Find them, read them, and post when you still have questions because despite our troves of information we do encourage you to participate in active discussion.

Salvia is difficult to dose right and produces extremely intense visions / trips when you overshoot your goal. In moderate doses it is more meditational, it encourages inquiry about the nature of reality and consciousness by shifting your perceptions. The more concentrated your Salvia extract is the more absolutely necessary it is to use an accurate scale (milligram scale preferably). So buy one (see the scales thread!) before proceeding IMO.

I recently took some ETH-LAD with a friend of mine who never tripped, and smoked a joint twice in his life.

I tossed 1 3/4 tabs down my hatch, and he took 1 tab. The tabs were dosed at 150 mcg.

He had a very very hard time. The intensity of the trip didn't bother him. He said he looked in the mirror, and a sick, scrawny, hairy mad rat was staring back at him. He has a significant alcohol problem i might add here.
Now the ETH-LAD was humping me pretty good, and i knew he was having a difficult time. I had to pull him aside, constantly, telling him to sit on the ground with me, touching our hands together. Look. It's just the acid. You will be alright in a few hours. He talked about how miserable of a disappointment he was. He had no problem with the acute effects of the Acid, but it felt to me as if years of emotional baggage finally caught up with him, and now was the showdown. He went to being lost in despair, to giddy, laughing at how ridiculous it all was. I tried my best to comfort him. Yes, the alcohol is a huge problem for you. You drink 8 - 12 beer a day and a mickey of whiskey ontop during the weekends. I too, saw what he saw when he looked in the mirror. It wasn't pretty. Not a light fun time for him.

Now, a few days later, he says he's A-OK, and really seriously slowing down the drinking. He says he feels so lost because he never realized how badly he needed help. He has neither good nor bad things to say about the acid. I have the feeling that benefits are not always immediate, and sometimes take a while to process. He is physically and mentally unscared, but woke up to the huge burden his alcohol dependency is.

So, yes, psychedelics are powerful, but they don't guarantee a good time at all. I told my friend off the bat that if he has problems (i knew about the alcohol), they will probably come and visit you during your trip. And it was extremely unsettling. He called his mother several times during, and told her how he felt and what he did. Who knows what will come from this. Unless you and your friends have a common language, tongue, you can use to communicate these experiences in a meaningful way, it will be very confusing.

Please be careful when introducing someone new to these compounds, as they are catalysts, for whatever lies dormant.

I think a low dose of Mushrooms (1g - 1.3g) is fine for a first timer. Keep a benzo just in case, but I found 1g - 1.5g to be fine depending on the strain.

rave23,

LSD was successfully used with alcoholics when LSD was legal. I thought you could appreciate this comment from another thread.

LSD was safely involved in successful treatment of alcohol addiction in the 1950s. This research became famous after Bill Wilson (the co-founder of Alcoholics Anonymous) participated in the research and later advocated the use of LSD in the treatment of addiction. Recent research has corroborated LSD "can be safe and generate lasting benefits". Decades after the original research historian Erika Dyck contacted the participants involved with the pre-prohibition research. She describes the results in this audio clip.

[AUDIO] Early LSD addiction research

more details here:
http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads...elf-on-LSD?p=13317774&viewfull=1#post13317774

My first trip was ~1.7-2g of this very potent Thai strain of mushrooms. Clearly high in both psilocin and psilocybin + a little % of baeocystin; easily noticed by the fast come-up, "morphing" visuals, especially patterns in walls/tables/curtains increasingly intense and colorful psychedelia. Then the stoning, heavy body-high of the psilocin kicking, can even become sedating depending on the strain of mushrooms. I always enjoy the more drunken, laughter and gentle hallucinogenic properties of psilocin (and it's semi-synthetic tryptamines e.g. O-Acetylpsilocin/4-AcO-DMT or 5-MeO-DiPT). Weed potentiated Thais and P. Cubes beyond words; I have become emcompassed by the DMT-like, geometric, but morphing visuals after a dab or two or a blunt of some potent weed.